HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Does anybody want Matt Carle back?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:50 PM
CTU2fan

vCash: 500
Well if what everyone is saying is true the contract is done. Now the question is will Carle and his agent see the Wideman deal and come running back with higher demands. I'm actually OK with bringing him back now that we've added Schenn; my main worry with the Carle talk was that they'd re-sign Carle and basically stand pat.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Broad Street Elite

I have a strong inclination to believe that the contract between the Flyers and Carle was agreed upon weeks ago in the form of a handshake deal. Could Carle walk away after seeing Wideman's deal or try to renegotiate? Perhaps, but I actually doubt it.

I think we see a 5 year, 23 million dollar deal here.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:01 AM
JMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Playing in Leaf-land can do that to any Dman even someone like Phaneuf. Matt Carle is 27 where Schenn is only 22 yrs old, give him time.
But playing for the Flyers up-tempo offensive scheme (even more aggressive than the Leafs) doesn't do the exact same thing to Matt Carle and his turnover numbers?

This is classic. Anyone out there is better than who we currently have. Trade JVR for Schenn? Good. JVR is an injured bum and Schenn just struggled because he was a Leaf. He'll be a #1 defenseman here.

Matt Carle? Guy's awful. Despite every indication that he's actually one of the top 50 defensemen in the league and is way better than what Luke Schenn is now.

JMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
turkinaa

There seems to be only two things that will occur with Carle.

1) He hits the market and gets a stupid contract.

or

2) He has a deal already in place and it is so stupid we need the extra 10% cap to properly sign him.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I think the Wideman deal will be the starting point with Carle. I actually hope that another team comes in and poaches him.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:21 AM
JMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I think the Wideman deal will be the starting point with Carle. I actually hope that another team comes in and poaches him.
So just to be clear, you'd be happy going into this season with a worse defense than last year's?

Because that's essentially what you're saying if Carle walks... you lost Carle, you gained Schenn. And anyone who is willing to be unbiased for a moment can see that Carle (@ this point) >>>> Schenn. Schenn has room to grow as a player obviously, but at this point it's yet another step backwards.

JMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:32 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt View Post
So just to be clear, you'd be happy going into this season with a worse defense than last year's?

Because that's essentially what you're saying if Carle walks... you lost Carle, you gained Schenn. And anyone who is willing to be unbiased for a moment can see that Carle (@ this point) >>>> Schenn. Schenn has room to grow as a player obviously, but at this point it's yet another step backwards.
The forwards played just as bad defense as the d-men last year. All teams had to do against us was cycle the puck and then they would have a wide open guy in front of the net. Carle is a good player that should be back. If he is really taking a home town discount then I would be excited about that. If he doesn't though, then it would be hard for the Flyers to match the other offers coming in because they still need to bring in a number 1 d-man to replace Pronger.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt View Post

I'd rather get some UFA for a year or two contract and letting the young players play decent minutes. I'd take a Hal Gill for a year instead and wait and see what can be had at the trade deadline or next year's UFA class.

Overpaying so that our defense is mediocre to good and putting us in a Cap situation where we will remain as such is long term disaster. I take a year back to put us in better long term shape. The key is Cap flexibility, something Holmgren has never grasped.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
toughfighter83*

i dont think any of the philly sources saying that carle was already signed, just twister made up sources, even the nhl network said nothing about him being resigned.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I'd rather get some UFA for a year or two contract and letting the young players play decent minutes. I'd take a Hal Gill for a year instead and wait and see what can be had at the trade deadline or next year's UFA class.

Overpaying so that our defense is mediocre to good and putting us in a Cap situation where we will remain as such is long term disaster. I take a year back to put us in better long term shape. The key is Cap flexibility, something Holmgren has never grasped.
Gill would be a great pick up! One of the better defensive d's out there that can block shots.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:40 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

homer: "lidstrom can you just plz come back n' play 1 season with us"

lidstrom: "lmao sure"

and hopefully that happens

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
CerpinTaxt

Anyone else see this? According to this but, not sure how reliable, seems like Carle will text free agency.

According to ESPN

Quote:
I would not have predicted months ago that Matt Carle would be headed to free agency, but thatís indeed going to be the case.

A source told ESPN.com Wednesday that the Flyers know the pending UFA blueliner will head to market Sunday while very much keeping his current team in the mix.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ent-rebuilding

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Trade his rights + pick for Suter's rights.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
I said it back in May and I still say it. I dont care what gibberish Holmgren speaks. I would be shocked and stunned if Carle resigned below market value without testing the market.
Could the Flyers still re-sign Carle? sure but if they do it will be next week. The stupid Wideman contract has me concerned Holmgren is going to give him Timonen money.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I said it back in May and I still say it. I dont care what gibberish Holmgren speaks. I would be shocked and stunned if Carle resigned below market value without testing the market.
Could the Flyers still re-sign Carle? sure but if they do it will be next week. The stupid Wideman contract has me concerned Holmgren is going to give him Timonen money.
If Carle is not resigned by Saturday, I pray to god he is not a Flyer next year. If he goes to UFA he will get 5.5 per and 6 year + for sure, and it better not be from us.

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
If Carle is not resigned by Saturday, I pray to god he is not a Flyer next year. If he goes to UFA he will get 5.5 per and 6 year + for sure, and it better not be from us.
Anything over 4.5 is over payment. Him being the highest paid dman on this team after Kimmo is done makes 0 sense. Let him walk.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think you are correct, and I think the Flyers will be the ones who sign him.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Homer needs to put boots to ass's and show Carle the door..

god i cant wait till this is over n done with

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

CNNSI.com is also reporting that Carle is going to test free agency in their rumours <- (Canadian spelling) section. If Carle hits the market, he's gone. I don't think the Flyers will think too highly of signing him after an "agreement" was in place. I've got a funny feeling that the Flyers will walk away.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I'd rather have Garrison for the money Carle is going to get.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
CNNSI.com is also reporting that Carle is going to test free agency in their rumours <- (Canadian spelling) section. If Carle hits the market, he's gone. I don't think the Flyers will think too highly of signing him after an "agreement" was in place. I've got a funny feeling that the Flyers will walk away.
Give me Sami Salo at 2 years and ~$5.5M instead, please.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

I doubt there was any kind of agreement in place. He will test the market.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:03 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Give me Sami Salo at 2 years and ~$5.5M instead, please.
I'd be a fan of that too.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I bet Widemans signing totally derailed contract offers. I'm sure Homer had around the same area of money per year to Carle. Carle probably figured hell i could get more money in free agency.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote