HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM interested in Hjalmarsson

Old
06-28-2012, 02:45 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Hjalmarsson>>Gagner

Horrible trade for the Hawks. I could see Hjalmarsson for MPS.
Which seems weird, considering Gagner > Paajarvi.

Better for the Oilers though, as they have **** centre depth and too many wingers.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:47 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
The Hawks had the 27th PK last year, the Oilers were 14th, I cannot see how Hjalmarsson PK ability would help the Oilers.
Could be that Chicago did not have NHL calibre goaltending. You cannot see how a regular 150 shot blocker can be an improvement to a PK?

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:47 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bowman made it clear that Nik is available right after the season. He hade higher hopes for him. Not that he is/was bad, just wants to use the money for better value. He didn't include him to the players he likes going forward

I think that Bowman already has a deal in hand with the Oilers that just needs to be anounced. Only problem, Hawks would need a #3 D to replace him first.

Bowman will be a player for Suter or will go after guys like Yandle via trade. If he can add them to the Hawks, Hammer would get moved to free up the roster spot and the Cap Space needed for Suter.
With the 10% offseason cushion, it would work with the Cap.

If Hawks can't get a better player than Hammer for our defense, he stays.

What would it take to get him?
Hawks need goaltending, won't get an improvement for Hammer so take that off your lists.
Hawks need better forward depth or a #2 Center. Problem with Gagner is the style he plays and the lack of size/physical play. Hawks need a Center that is as good in his own end as he is in the offensiv zone. Don't see that in Gagner. In the end, I think he would be an option.
For depth, Hawks need a player than can play as soon as next season and play better than what we already see. Is MPS this player? I doubt it, but he has a good future infront of him and learn from Hossa would improve him without any doubt. Expectations wouldn't be that high and he could get only Bottom 6 time. I don't know it, that's why I ask. How good is MPS as PKer?
If he is good, he would be what Bowman is looking for. Good body to work with, talent and a decent Twoway game with his young age. I think he has a good hockey IQ too.

Depth D is needed too, but this would be seen as throw in. Hawks need D help for the farm team too as throw in.

I'd like MPS + AHL D (& Cap Space) for Hjalmarsson if the Hawks are able to sign Suter

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:10 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
The Hawks had the 27th PK last year, the Oilers were 14th, I cannot see how Hjalmarsson PK ability would help the Oilers.

I guess Peckham's a better PKer than Keith and Seabrook too. FFS.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Neutral fan here, but a deal center around Gagner and Hjalmarsson sounds about right in terms of value.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Dallasman

Not sure if this belongs here but Dustin Nielson on TEAM 1260 this morning stated he heard that the Oilers were working on a deal to get a d-man from an Eastern Conference team. No names were mentioned but this is what he said.

Can anyone else who heard that please confirm so I don't get flamed for hearing what I heard!

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post

No he really isn't.
That's why we don't use him on the PK.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post

Peckham does not play the PK.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Yes he does. When he's in the lineup he's one of the primary PKers. It's probably his greatest strength as an NHLer.

Edit: Just looked it up, he's second on the team in ice time per game on the PK. His 2:40 is 11 sconds more per game than what #3 Petry got. Smid plays easily the most at 3:22.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

Seriously Peckham is a terrific PKer, so is Hal Gill. Players can find niche's and excell in them. Peckham is a good young defenseman, he was an excellent shutdown option in the AHL prior to becoming an NHLer. He was also with Petry the youngest regualr defenseman on the team. We need to have patience with our young players. He has shown some very solid flashs of ability. People don't seem to understand how long it can take for a dman to become a consistent option at Evens, especially the defensive type. Willie Mitchell wasn't Wille Mitchell the NHLer untill he was 25, and even then it took a few years before he began to excell. We don't need to run another Matt Greene out of town, these types of players have value in defined roles. He certainly has some learning to do but he isn't in the NHL without merit, he obviously has his strengths.

Last edited by Eskimo44: 06-28-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
No he really isn't.
Quote:
the point...you guys missed it...

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Hjalmarsson is very comparable to N.Schultz. Unless the Oilers are planning on icing 3x 2nd pairings this deal does not make sense.

Say whatever you want about Whitney but he is part of this team's core and best of buddies with Ebs and Hall. Unless he struggles again next season, he will be considered a top 4 Dman by Oil management.

Left side of Whitney, Smid and Schultz makes it hard for guys like Hjalmarsson to crack the top 2 pairings. Add bottom pairing guys like Peckham and Sutton (both also LD) and this rumor makes little sense.

Also, trading guys like Hjalmarsson and Gagner would create holes in both organizations.

Asking for Paajarvi is wishful thinking by CHI fans. EDM management is still very high on him despite his offensive struggles last year.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
No he really isn't.
Never watched a Oiler game have you. In the 54 games Peckham played last year he logged in 144 minutes of PK time. The Oilers had the 14th PK last year, it wasn't Peckham's PK was the problem, in matter of fact it was outstanding, it was even strength play. Niklas Hjalmarsson is a good shot blocker, but Schultz and Smid are better.

Note last year Edmonton's D was snake bit with injuries and were dropping like flies at one point and they still didn't do that bad. In part it was due to some outstanding goal tending which disappeared the latter half of the season and the emergence of Petry and Smid as solid D's. The biggest problem the Oilers had was scoring at even strength. Some of the media in Edmonton are pushing for a better D, as they should be, but they' re desperate and are willing to take any plug.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
It's just a shame he can't get right, because his footspeed wasn't great to begin with, but with his issues it really affects his game.
Thats not true, he was a well above average skater prior to the injury. Even know his footspeed isn't the issue so much as it is the ability to pivot. It's not just my opinion that skating has traditionally been a strength with this player either, here's his scouting report from the hockey news.

Has excellent size and offensive instincts from the blueline position. Displays the ability to make a great breakout pass and handle power play duties. Is also a very smooth skater.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Hemsky4PM

The Oilers would probably prefer shaping a deal around a prospect like Teubert or Marincin. Who knows what Chicago is looking for or what teams are in the mix. I wouldn't bother getting too serious about Hjarlmarsson until after July 1.

As some have pointed out, Hjarlmarsson is essentially a no.5 guy along the lines of Nick Schultz. There are more than a few of those available as UFAs, not to mention a few higher end guys. Why lose an asset for Hjarlmarsson? I'd send a 2nd round pick tops.

Carle
Allen
Kuba
Kubina
Rozsival
Coaliacovo
Zanon
Jurcina
Huskins
Hannan

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I don't like Peckham.
Did he actually play 54 games last year?

Jesus.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:34 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
the point...you guys missed it...
Keith and Seabs are excellent players.

Peckham is a darn sight cheaper than either one.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Quote:
I don't like Peckham.

Jesus.
We used 12 d-men and only had 3 play more than 70 games.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Yes he does. When he's in the lineup he's one of the primary PKers. It's probably his greatest strength as an NHLer.

Edit: Just looked it up, he's second on the team in ice time per game on the PK. His 2:40 is 11 sconds more per game than what #3 Petry got. Smid plays easily the most at 3:22.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

Seriously Peckham is a terrific PKer, so is Hal Gill. Players can find niche's and excell in them. Peckham is a good young defenseman, he was an excellent shutdown option in the AHL prior to becoming an NHLer. He was also with Petry the youngest regualr defenseman on the team. We need to have patience with our young players. He has shown some very solid flashs of ability. People don't seem to understand how long it can take for a dman to become a consistent option at Evens, especially the defensive type. Willie Mitchell wasn't Wille Mitchell the NHLer untill he was 25, and even then it took a few years before he began to excell. We don't need to run another Matt Greene out of town, these types of players have value in defined roles. He certainly has some learning to do but he isn't in the NHL without merit, he obviously has his strengths.
I stand corrected. Supposedly I missed a point too. Bad post overall.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
I stand corrected. Supposedly I missed a point too. Bad post overall.
No shame in that. Being wrong is just common ground.

Don't worry i have no idea what "point" you missed either, and i wouldn't say Hoss the Boss makes to many valid ones. The comment you replied to is an obvious straw man.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Anaheim?
Maybe this would have applied last year when we had 14 different defensemen and games played were led by rookie John Moore, closely followed by our second-pairing guy Tyutin and AHL backup option Aaron Johnson, but after rebuilding the blueline last year this is somewhat less accurate. Post-Lidstrom retirement, arguably we're not even the worst in our division, let alone the league (although that could and probably will change once July 1 rolls around).

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
I don't like Peckham.

Jesus.
That wasn't too hard to figure out, you should also know that he was a +/- 0, so he didn't really hurt the team. Just when he screwed up he really screwed up and he had a tendency to take some bad penalties. Was it 2nd year jitters, I don't know, but but I heard he didn't come into TC at the best of shape. He's young so give him the chance and see what happens, look how Smid turned out.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
That wasn't too hard to figure out, you should also know that he was a +/- 0, so he didn't really hurt the team. Just when he screwed up he really screwed up and he had a tendency to take some bad penalties. Was it 2nd year jitters, I don't know, but but I heard he didn't come into TC at the best of shape. He's young so give him the chance and see what happens, look how Smid turned out.
I hope he can turn into Smid.
I also hated Smid his first few years... And Greene. Oh god how I hated Greene.

I'll just stop judging these types of defensemen hahaha

But Garbagekov is still garbage, right?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
I hope he can turn into Smid.
I also hated Smid his first few years... And Greene. Oh god how I hated Greene.

I'll just stop judging these types of defensemen hahaha

But Garbagekov is still garbage, right?