HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

vCash: 500
no surprise, must be nice when the best player in the world will take a pay cut to play for you because he is super superstitious

Old
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Pens will likely land one of Parise or Semin. I figure Detroit will be the ones who end up signing Ryan Suter to placate the vacancy left by Lidstrom. Doan will stay west, either re-signing with Phoenix or signing a 2 to 3 year deal with the Kings. I could also see the Ducks adding another Finnish player to its roster by signing Olli Jokinen to center their 2nd line. The Ducks also have room to sign a 2nd line LW since they are letting Jason Blake walk and it is quite possible that Dustin Penner stays in the West by signing with his former club.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Pens will likely land one of Parise or Semin. I figure Detroit will be the ones who end up signing Ryan Suter to placate the vacancy left by Lidstrom. Doan will stay west, either re-signing with Phoenix or signing a 2 to 3 year deal with the Kings. I could also see the Ducks adding another Finnish player to its roster by signing Olli Jokinen to center their 2nd line. The Ducks also have room to sign a 2nd line LW since they are letting Jason Blake walk and it is quite possible that Dustin Penner stays in the West by signing with his former club.
I think Doan chooses San Jose and Whitney signs with Boston!

Old
06-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
no surprise, must be nice when the best player in the world will take a pay cut to play for you because he is super superstitious
What happens when the new CBA rolls back the salaries? The cap hit may not be $8.7.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
First off, a huge congratulations to you guys and your first ever Stanley Cup. I'm originally from Arizona, but now I'm a resident of Torrance, CA (by Hermosa Beach) and it was very cool to see.

Now, i know we've built quite the rivalry between us seeing as this year, we seemed to get a bit nasty with each other, but i have a few questions. I know a lot if you were not too fond of Doan, while i love the guy, if your feelings for him are anything close to the way i feel about Brown i completely understand but there is a big chance he doesnt sign with us due to our ownership ********. It's complete ******** and itwas has been messing with our heads for years now. We may see our biggest repercussion in less than a week if Doan ends up leaving. With that said, Doan wants a cup, and he wants to stay close to the area...who better than the Kings if he has to leave...right? I guess what I'm asking is, how would you guys feel if you signed him? And after this year, do you think Lombardi would? Maybe why he hasn't really hinted at signing Penner?
With Doan im kinda torn. One half wants him and always has, he would fit Sutter's system very well. But the other half of me doesn't mainly because I don't wanna **** with thr chemistry the team has established. I pretty much forgot about the handshake line ******** and even then Doan still apologized. But I won't mind either way.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
KBA4life

Can't believe some people wouldn't want Doan here. The guy is a total gamer and wouldnt let complacency set in with this group, plus, the comedic value of watching him and Brown potentially wreck all the Canucklehead ****** in a series would be awesome. Ideally, sign him for no longer than two years. By that time hopefully one of Toffoli or Pearson will have shown they've got the chops to be top sixers. Trade Gagne to an eastern team for a 2nd and be done with it

Old
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBA4life View Post
Can't believe some people wouldn't want Doan here. The guy is a total gamer and wouldnt let complacency set in with this group, plus, the comedic value of watching him and Brown potentially wreck all the Canucklehead ****** in a series would be awesome. Ideally, sign him for no longer than two years. By that time hopefully one of Toffoli or Pearson will have shown they've got the chops to be top sixers. Trade Gagne to an eastern team for a 2nd and be done with it
It's because a lot of people are irrational and don't think clearly. The Kings don't even have to move Simon Gagne since he only has a year remaining on his deal and Quick's extension won't kick in until 2013. They could just ride Gagne's deal till it expires and still have him in the fold as someone who can provide offense wherever he is in the lineup.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:03 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Trade Gagne to an eastern team for a 2nd and be done with it
Gagne has 1 year left in his contract

06-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

I really do want Doan on this team for his fit with the team, but I would go 1 year on him. See how he does and see after Quick's extension how much space we have. If guys like Toffoli and Pearson are ready he won't be needed for a 2nd season.

One year for 4.5 to 5 million would be a good signing

Old
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
So if we lose Penner what do we do?

Who would we sign?

If we can't sign anyone, who do we bring up?
No one. Even without Penner, we go:

Brown-Kopi-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fras-Nolan
Westy

Old
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Johnny Utah

Exactly. I believe the Kings stay with what they have. Gagne was playing on the 4th line and Clifford was in the press box. Same with Richardson and Westgarth.

Next season Gagne will be a UFA and that's when I see the Kings making a run for another second line LW or promoting someone like Toffoli.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:36 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
That line-up will never win anything....
I can't tell if you are joking or not. Are you joking?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post

Brown-Kopi-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fras-Nolan
Westy
The Kings will add someone to the roster simply because they don't want to deal with any complacency with the same group. Adding a new dynamic to the team could help inject some extra motivation for them to make another strong run at the Cup. The players seeing their team make another addition and improvement to the roster also indicates to them that the organization and management is serious at repeating.

Take the 1998 Wings team for example. They added two veterans to the roster who hadn't won the Cup in Brent Gilchrist and Jamie Macoun. They were the last team to repeat Cup wins. The Penguins did the same thing. They won the Cup in 1990 with Recchi, shipped him out and brought in Rick Tocchet for their Cup repeat in 1991.

I know we want to see them bring the Cup winning team back, which is exactly what the Kings will be doing, but adding a fresh new face to this strong core could add another dimension that this team could use. A player like Doan could inject that extra incentive for them to win another Cup, and this is a team that is fully capable of becoming the first team since Detroit to accomplish that.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
It's because a lot of people are irrational and don't think clearly. The Kings don't even have to move Simon Gagne since he only has a year remaining on his deal and Quick's extension won't kick in until 2013. They could just ride Gagne's deal till it expires and still have him in the fold as someone who can provide offense wherever he is in the lineup.
Or perhaps people are happy with the team's makeup and demeanor and don't want someone who very recently went off in a handshake line, and then whined and blamed the refs, regardless of how much a gamer said person might be.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
It's because a lot of people are irrational and don't think clearly.
Even though I think chemistry is a valid concern, lets just say it isn't a factor.

You don't think some people are correctly worried about giving Shane Doan the 3 year, 15 million deal you proposed?

I don't think having 38 year old Shane Doan on the hook for $5 million three seasons from now is good asset or cap management.

You want some examples. Look at Mike Knuble, Ryan Smyth, Andrew Brunette, Jason Arnott. All these guys took huge tumbles from where they were only a couple of years ago.

I mentioned this in the Quick thread, I have no problem overpaying Jonathan Quick in his 30's because be built of equity for what he did as a member of the KINGS in his 20's. If we sign Shane Doan to a 3 year, 15 million deal, we will be paying him for what he accomplished as a COYOTE and not what type of player he will be as a 36, 37 and 38 year old for the Kings.

Other things to consider...

1. No idea what the cap will look like post CBA Apocalypse.

2. With what we have seen so far from the contracts handed out to guys like Wideman, Stoll and Jones, we will probably see Doan get closer to 5.5 or even 6.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:07 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:

Brown-Kopi-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fras-Nolan
Westy
One of the reasons we won was because of our depth. When, not if, Gagne gets hurt, where is our depth?

Old
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Hendrydoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
That line-up will never win anything....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Some of you guys need to step away from the computer for a bit. I know we're Kings fans and we're used to going into every offseason with a myriad of different opinions and ideas on changing our roster to make it better, but stop. Scuderi is NOT getting traded. Doan is NOT signing here. We don't need to trade Martinez or Voynov to make room for Suter.

Some of the stuff on this board melts my brain. We could very well become the first team since the lockout to ice literally the same exact lineup on opening night that won a Cup the prior year. And that's not good enough?! This is madness.
Pretty sure he was joking

Old
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
I don't want anyone from that ****ing Coyotes team on the Kings. F Shane Doan, hope he retires Cupless.
Ouch. Thanks for your imput. I hope you get stuck in the 91

Old
06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Ouch. Thanks for your imput. I hope you get stuck in the 91
LOL. Nicely played

Old
06-28-2012, 02:45 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

As much as forechecking is good, fraser really doesn't score, richardson doesn't, lewis sorta. Look if you are looking to bump up a guy like richardson, or westy when a top 6 goes down. You kinda are in trouble. (With penner we would be fine) but if we dont sign Penner, and Gagne gets injured again. We are in deep ****. As much as nolan and king are good, if we lose penner we need to bring up a scorer from manchester, not westy. Cause richardson and his 2 and half goals just wont cut it for me. We have the players but we dont have an abundance of ready scorers with nhl games under their belt. So its worrisome.

Plus Im not implying we need a top 6. 3rd line goal scorer would be good to have. Like Boyes/ Ott. Not a parise, we dont need big names we just would be much more better off with 1 more 20 goal scorer.

Last edited by KingKopitar11*: 06-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
SLang

Quote:
Can't believe some people wouldn't want Doan here. The guy is a total gamer and wouldnt let complacency set in with this group, plus, the comedic value of watching him and Brown potentially wreck all the Canucklehead ****** in a series would be awesome.
Pretty hard to argue with this

Old
06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:

Brown-Kopi-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Fras-Nolan
Westy
I agree with the gist of your idea but less Richardson and more Clifford please.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I'd actually be okay, if Penner didn't resign, if we took a run at Brad Boyes.

Good solid 2nd or 3rd line RW.

Carter can play Left as well as Right. As can Lewis. We have movable parts.

With a hurt Gagne:

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Carter - Richards - Boyes
King - Stoll - Lewis
Richie/Clune/Cliche/Clifford - Fraz - Nolan

WITH a healthy Gagne

Brown/Gagne - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne/Brown/Carter - Richards - Carter/Brown
Lewis/King - Stoll - Boyes
King/Lewis - Fraz - Nolan

That's honestly as solid of a lineup as we have right now. We give up some size with Penner. Obviously it's not ideal given our style. But if the Kings wanted to go in a different direction..I wouldn't be THAT upset with this.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I agree with the gist of your idea but less Richardson and more Clifford please.
You mean less speed and responsible hockey and more dumb mistakes? Clifford needs the AHL right now like a ***** needs a good shower.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I think without doing anything we already have team that can reasonably win the Cup. Signing Penner (and getting the 2012 playoff version) will even make us favored to win the Cup.

But...putting Doan on that third line...imagine the younger players having to look Doan in the eye after round 1, 3 or 4, game 4s. If Doan is on the team instead of say Gagne or Nolan or whomever, we sweep New Jersey. There is no game 5 in Newark.

Closed Thread