HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can we expect from Lars Eller this year ?

Old
06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
The Doors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd rather they held onto Kaberle, to see if Markov can stay healthy and regain some of his former self.

Glad you liked my Bourque comment, it's pretty bang on eh? Nothing against the guy though, I think in the right situation he can use his body more and be a better 2 way guy.

Another idea I've been throwing around for a while now.

Bourque-DD-Cole.

Bourque has a lot of similarities to Pacio's game. DD is an amazing playmaker. Cole is just a heart and soul guy who, if you can't get your A game going playing on a line with him than you're a lost cause.

Pacio-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-DD-Cole
Moen-Eller-XXX
White-McClement (or someone comparable, but preferrably not Gaustad, for me anyways)-Geoffrion

Only thing I don't like about that, is there's no spot for Palushaj. Who I would really like to see get some top 9 minutes, could he fit with Moen and Eller?

I would say put him iwth DD and Cole and move Bourque down, but Cole likes playing on the right side, doesn't he? And Pal is a RH
Bourque - DD may be the best argument to split the Pac/DD/Cole line. Everyone seems to produce with little Davy. I could see it working, a big guy on the wing who can throw his weight around and shoot the puck. I would be more inclinded to flip Pac and Cole tho. Give Cole to Plek and Gio and you've got a responsible and bonafide top six veteran line that can take on the big matchup, as well as skate like the wind and put goals on the board.

Pac and DD have had a connection since Hamilton, keep them together and use Bourque on their RW.

I'm all for keeping Bourque unless we can find a team that wants to flip a 4/5 defenceman with a similiar contract for him and sign Lats for half Bourque's price tag. But its a bad time to trade the guy when he's at an all time low value wise. We've seen too much of that mistake lately. Let him have a new start and see if MT can whip him into shape.

I won't argue you on Kaberle. I don't mind having him around. It could actually be quite interesting if whatever Bergevin's plans are for a topsix winger fall thru and he ends up chasing Jagr for a 1yr deal, to have the three Czech vets on a second PP unit together.

I think it would be best for Palushaj and Leblanc to dominate the AHL at the start of the year, grooming them as future wingers for Eller's line. But Palushaj could be a sleeper. Needs someone to show confidence in him.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Bourque - DD may be the best argument to split the Pac/DD/Cole line. Everyone seems to produce with little Davy. I could see it working, a big guy on the wing who can throw his weight around and shoot the puck. I would be more inclinded to flip Pac and Cole tho. Give Cole to Plek and Gio and you've got a responsible and bonafide top six veteran line that can take on the big matchup, as well as skate like the wind and put goals on the board.

Pac and DD have had a connection since Hamilton, keep them together and use Bourque on their RW.

I'm all for keeping Bourque unless we can find a team that wants to flip a 4/5 defenceman with a similiar contract for him and sign Lats for half Bourque's price tag. But its a bad time to trade the guy when he's at an all time low value wise. We've seen too much of that mistake lately. Let him have a new start and see if MT can whip him into shape.

I won't argue you on Kaberle. I don't mind having him around. It could actually be quite interesting if whatever Bergevin's plans are for a topsix winger fall thru and he ends up chasing Jagr for a 1yr deal, to have the three Czech vets on a second PP unit together.

I think it would be best for Palushaj and Leblanc to dominate the AHL at the start of the year, grooming them as future wingers for Eller's line. But Palushaj could be a sleeper. Needs someone to show confidence in him.
JC, I put Cole there because he likes the right side, and I wouldn't want Gionta playing on his off wing.

Also, love the idea of the 3 Czech vets on the 2nd PP.

Outside of a trade I don't see waht MB's plan to address the top 6 will be anyways. I doubt SEmin comes, PA will want too many years and too much money and Parise...same as PA except doubly. And he won't sign with Montreal I don't think.

Leblanc for sure, AHL 1st line minutes killing it with Gallagher, or Holland.

Palushaj...he's done it all. 102 points in 118 games with Hamilton. Can he clear waivers next year? If so I'd have no problem with him being in Hamilton, but I really think he should get some top 9 minutes with some good players, or trade him to a team who can give him that chance.

How do we feel about him defensively?

Maybe he'd fit with Moen and Eller.

All we can be certain of, other than winter...is that it will be a long, long Summer of speculating on next years line up

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
The Doors

Quote:
JC, I put Cole there because he likes the right side, and I wouldn't want Gionta playing on his off wing.

Also, love the idea of the 3 Czech vets on the 2nd PP.

Outside of a trade I don't see waht MB's plan to address the top 6 will be anyways. I doubt SEmin comes, PA will want too many years and too much money and Parise...same as PA except doubly. And he won't sign with Montreal I don't think.

Leblanc for sure, AHL 1st line minutes killing it with Gallagher, or Holland.

Palushaj...he's done it all. 102 points in 118 games with Hamilton. Can he clear waivers next year? If so I'd have no problem with him being in Hamilton, but I really think he should get some top 9 minutes with some good players, or trade him to a team who can give him that chance.

How do we feel about him defensively?

Maybe he'd fit with Moen and Eller.

All we can be certain of, other than winter...is that it will be a long, long Summer of speculating on next years line up
It's tough to gage because we don't know what the organization thinks of a lot of the young prospect forwards. Will someone surprise and make the team? Is someone on the outs? Maybe Bergevin will make a shocking move that none of us see coming.. similiar to when we signed Cole last year, I figure they have at least one sizeable free-agent signing in them. But maybe it's more likely to be a defenceman. I don't think they want to clog up the forwards with big contracts, except a veteran on a 1-year deal, or a guy like Semin/AK who is looking to prove himself for a year then hit the jackpot next season. But I think we can rule that out, I don't see either of those guys having trouble getting paid with such a weak crop of forwards and Garth Snow running an NHL team.

I agree on Parenteau. He's going to get bank and length, like Wizniewski did. Probably sign with a ****** team for a lot of money.

Can Palushaj do top-nine? Not sure. I agree that if he doesn't do it this year, they'll do him a favour and move him like we did D'Agostini. Then people will complain that he never got a shot. He'll get his looks this year I bet, due to injuries. On the other hand, part of the reason I keep pushing for a solidified bottom six is to avoid the constant injuries, less time on the PK for guys like Plekanec, etc. I want a real fourth line so, so badly... thankfully I'm sure Therrien will be lobbying for one too. As long as Bill Lindsay isn't on it to take faceoffs in the playoffs.

Gonna be a fun offseason, for sure.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:18 PM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If we follow Ellers natural progression, I think we are looking at a 20/20 year from him. If he can average between 40-60 points a season while being a shut-down third line center, I am happy.

He got barely any PP time last season. If he gets more this year, he will definitely see an increase in production. Lets hope he can be our Jordan Staal. The defensive stalwart who chips in offence and takes pressure off our top two centers. I don't think thats an unrealistic expectation.
Agreed. I love what this kid brings to the table. He'll get better every year, you just have to be patient.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:05 PM
habitue*

I am just expecting maybe 10 more points and better face offs %.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Takashi

20 g + 20 a for eller

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
. I would love DD in a Danny Brière role. Lots of PP time, tons of soft minutes with good depth scorers on his wing. He could kill it out there if he keeps improving and we give him the wingers to succeed.

There is one huge difference between Dave & Danny, Briere is a shoot first player, always has been since his junior days, Desharnias won't even shoot the puck when he is directly in front of the net!!!

Infact most smaller players who have survived in this league, come with the shoot first mentality. Marty St. Louis, Danny Briere, Brian Gionta, ect.

Plus Briere is 3" taller than Desharnias & at that height, size does count.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
Agreed. I love what this kid brings to the table. He'll get better every year, you just have to be patient.

Absolutely.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:08 PM
hotcarle

20 20 40

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Miller Time

i expect:

- his ppg pace to go up
- for him to be used frequently in tough defensive assignments/match-ups
- for him to show occasional glimpses (on a more frequent basis than last year) of being a bonafide top-6 player

how that all translates to actual goal/point totals will depend largely on his health, how much pp time he gets, and what kind of linemate situation he ends up with, none of which are under his control.

also, i think that if somehow Gally ends up forcing the habs hand and sticks with the big club, we could end up seeing Eller spend some time on his wing, and that could prove to be a very effective combination...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
la25ecoupe

I just want consistent linesmates.. i have line juggling all day..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

We need to find him a winger too, a guy who has equal or more offensive ability than he does.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
If Eller manages somewhere in the 35 range and plays a lot of hockey against other teams top offensive lines, and gets a little bit meaner...god damn we might have the makigns of someone special!
35 points, so excited

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
35 points, so excited

Yeah, how dare he not score at a PPG basis on a checking line next to superstars like Travis "Golden Hands" Moen

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
newtown33

I expect him to be tested about his defensive abilities so Bergevin knows when he can trade Plekanec for a 1st round pick. Gally can then enter the lineup as a center and Eller will replace Plek for his defensive role.

I do believe Plek will get traded at the 2013 or 2014 draft and I do see Chicago as a great fit...

newtown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:33 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, how dare he not score at a PPG basis on a checking line next to superstars like Travis "Golden Hands" Moen
I just found it silly to say you expect 35 points and then say something special.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I just found it silly to say you expect 35 points and then say something special.
It's as silly as writing him off for not being able to score regularly in a defensive role. Eller hasn't proven anything yet, but when you factor in his age and how he was used (and misused) attacking him for his point total is meaningless.

I've seen enough to think he has a good bit if upside, and if he's used like he was last year then 35 points will be good, though I'm hoping the team is good enough for him to reach around 40.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
It's as silly as writing him off for not being able to score regularly in a defensive role. Eller hasn't proven anything yet, but when you factor in his age and how he was used (and misused) attacking him for his point total is meaningless.
Except that he will likely continue to be used in that role for the forseeable future. I don't think he has much of a future in Montreal tbh. In a year, I think Galy will be ready for a top 6 centre role. I also think in a year, Leblanc will be ready for a 3rd line role and he'll be better defensively than Eller.

Unless Eller magically gets more comfortable on the wing, his days in Montreal are likely numbered.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Meanwhile this thread...

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Protest the Hero

40 points, and I expect him to hit 20 goals.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I think a 20 g 40 pt year is not out of the question. Will depend if he is given any PP time I guess.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Meanwhile this thread...
His accuracy is pretty bad in that video.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Eller's wife is preggers!

And people say he doesn't know how to finish

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I think a 20 g 40 pt year is not out of the question. Will depend if he is given any PP time I guess.
That should be a normal expectation unless they give him White and Moen as linemates.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote