HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shaone Morrisonn

Old
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
DinoNeils

vCash: 500
Shaone Morrisonn

Quick question for everyone.

I was looking through the available UFAs and saw Morrisonn's name pop up; subsequently, I noticed he played in the A last year; any reason why? What are your thoughts on Morrionn?

Thanks

DinoNeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Clock

We simply had better options to play for the big club.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Very servicable bottom pairing guy.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post

I was looking through the available UFAs and saw Morrisonn's name pop up; subsequently, I noticed he played in the A last year; any reason why? What are your thoughts on Morrionn?

Thanks
He's not very good. A bigger guy that doesn't play particularly physical, is prone to making dumb mistakes even without the puck, and has no offensive capability. He's also pretty damn slow.

But if he's your #7 defenseman you could certainly do worse, it's just that the Sabres have terrific defensive depth.

The fact that he was relied upon heavily in Washington makes it easy for me to figure out why they were so bad defensively. Well that and Mike Green.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Whatever list that was, it hasn't been updated, as he's already signed a KHL deal with Spartak Moscow.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:36 PM
DinoNeils

Thanks for the insight.

DinoNeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post

Thanks
Something of a salary bury. Keeping him up would have put us in a bind, which is why he wasn't called up despite all of the injuries. He wasn't better than the guys we were playing enough to create that situation. That's the gist of it, even though he probably would have been a help when guys like Gragnani and Weber were stinking it up.

He had an up and down season the previous year and that was certainly a disappointment. He's very physical and I'd say your standard bottom-pairing stay-at-home defenseman. He could also be a second-pairing guy with the right system/partner but I wouldn't want to bank on it.

If he lands in the right situation I can totally see him turn his career back around because truly he didn't play his way into the AHL, it was just one of those things. By all accounts he was a good soldier down there, by the way, and an extremely valuable player to the team. My guess is some team will get a super-motivated, veteran player at a deal of a contract.

Edit: Shoulda read Woodhouse's comment first. As I wrote this I had thought for sure he signed with the KHL but since the OP was asking, I figured I must've been mistaken. How can I expect others to trust me when I don't trust myself?

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 06-28-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Whatever list that was, it hasn't been updated, as he's already signed a KHL deal with Spartak Moscow.
Yes he has.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They were too close to the cap to have him on the books, even in a limited injury recall situation and a straight recall not only compounded possible daily cap limit issues but could have screwed them with a recall waiver claim leaving them with half his hit on the books for the remainder of the year. Regier likely doesn't bank on having Hecht's cap space available in LTIR for most of the year, but even with that, there was simply no way to put $2.1M into their salary structure and have enough room.