HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
  #101
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Why are you the only person here insulting me all the time ?
I'm not insulting you at all. I don't even know you. I'm insulting your posts. My posts get insulted all the time here, no biggie, it's fun.

If you don't learn the difference, you won't last here, you'll piss everyone off by getting personal.

Sorry for calling you a prize BTW, that was personal, my bad.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
  #102
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Hmmmm ? Ironic no ?
Yeah I can be abrasive, but I mean no harm. Most guys know that here. I respect your right to have a position on Gomer, I just don't agree, that's all. No biggie.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
  #103
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
BSL it's all good. No worries.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:42 AM
  #104
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I was talking to a Habs fan the yesterday and this thread just reminded me of it. He said we should trade Plekanec for a big winger and put Galchenyuk with Patches and Cole.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Cole
Bourque - Desharnais - XXX (big winger from Pleks trade)
Moen - Eller - Leblanc
xxxxxxxxxxx <--- he didn't care about the 4th line

On defense it's good too;

Markov - Beaulieu
Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Tinordi

fun stuff.
You are right, this is kind of silly, oweing to the fact that Gally only played two regular season games last year.

But wow that would be a crazy line to see.

Do you not think Tinordi could actually make the jump next year ?

Again i know this is crazy but i actualy see Tinordi making the team out of camp.

Beaulieu doesn't have a chance next year.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  #105
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
You are right, this is kind of silly, oweing to the fact that Gally only played two regular season games last year.

But wow that would be a crazy line to see.

Do you not think Tinordi could actually make the jump next year ?

Again i know this is crazy but i actualy see Tinordi making the team out of camp.

Beaulieu doesn't have a chance next year.
Maybe if we didn't have 7 defenseman already signed (obviously including Diaz, Emelin and Subban in this), Tinordi would have a shot. Maybe next year.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:20 AM
  #106
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man
 
MsChanandlerBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
I think Eller is more likely to leave than Plekanec. Yes he is a first round pick, but he still hasn't proved to be much of an offensive threat (scoring-wise) and defensively he isn't very close to Plekanec. We'll see how Eller does this season...

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
  #107
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
I think Eller is more likely to leave than Plekanec. Yes he is a first round pick, but he still hasn't proved to be much of an offensive threat (scoring-wise) and defensively he isn't very close to Plekanec. We'll see how Eller does this season...
Maybe with Gauthier here, but not a chance with Bergevin.

Eller is here to stay, big strong centerman who will get a chance to prove himself on a top line. This is why i think Plekanec will be traded.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
  #108
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
While I don't think it would be a tremendously smart move to let him go now, the reality of our situation is that Plekanec is one of our few saleable assets. Right now we have a number of guys with a depressed value due to injury (Markov and Gionta) or due to contract (Kaberle), guys whose upside is too great to expect to get real value out of them (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller and Galchenyuk) and guys who won't get us the impact player we need (everyone else) or are out and out worthless (Gomez). Only Plekanec and Cole stand a reasonable chance at netting us an impact winger - and trading Cole for an impact winger seems a bit roundabout since he's already one. Plekanec's contributions should not be minimized by any means, but we now have some talent to spare at centre (Desharnais, Eller, White, Leblanc, Galchenyuk, Gomez (as a stop gap until we can dump his contract) and Bournival) and can replace him after a fashion.

I think it would be wrong to trade Plekanec over the summer. Too many variables and we'd likely get poor value for him. If Gally hits the ice in the fall and is something approaching the dominating force we want him to be then you start looking at it. If we're out of it at the deadline and looking to acquire some pieces to compliment our young corps then you look at it. But right now Pleks value to other teams is low and his value to us is high - so it doesn't make sense to move him just yet.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:58 AM
  #109
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
While I don't think it would be a tremendously smart move to let him go now, the reality of our situation is that Plekanec is one of our few saleable assets. Right now we have a number of guys with a depressed value due to injury (Markov and Gionta) or due to contract (Kaberle), guys whose upside is too great to expect to get real value out of them (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller and Galchenyuk) and guys who won't get us the impact player we need (everyone else) or are out and out worthless (Gomez). Only Plekanec and Cole stand a reasonable chance at netting us an impact winger - and trading Cole for an impact winger seems a bit roundabout since he's already one. Plekanec's contributions should not be minimized by any means, but we now have some talent to spare at centre (Desharnais, Eller, White, Leblanc, Galchenyuk, Gomez (as a stop gap until we can dump his contract) and Bournival) and can replace him after a fashion.

I think it would be wrong to trade Plekanec over the summer. Too many variables and we'd likely get poor value for him. If Gally hits the ice in the fall and is something approaching the dominating force we want him to be then you start looking at it. If we're out of it at the deadline and looking to acquire some pieces to compliment our young corps then you look at it. But right now Pleks value to other teams is low and his value to us is high - so it doesn't make sense to move him just yet.
Let's tread water and hope the tides and the wind takes us where we want to go.

Let's wait just like we did for Koivu and all the others that we dump into the sea for nothing and then to top it off we traded away almost all our 2nd round picks over the last decade to get the pieces we need. We're always so close, can't you just feel it.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
  #110
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
I think Eller is more likely to leave than Plekanec. Yes he is a first round pick, but he still hasn't proved to be much of an offensive threat (scoring-wise) and defensively he isn't very close to Plekanec. We'll see how Eller does this season...
It took Plekanec 6 seasons after being drafted to become an offensive threat (20g27a-47p)
Eller will be going into his 5th season after being drafted. His 16-12-28 season in his 4th year is better than Plekanec's which saw him only play 2 games in the NHL. And is on par with Plekanec's 29 point campaign in his 5th season after being drafted.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
  #111
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Can that Leave Britney Alone guy make a video for Eller? Kid is still young. He won't be dealt unless it's for a significant upgrade.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
  #112
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
There is no urge to trade anyone. If Galchenyuk makes the NHL next year it will be in a somewhat limited capacity (as a winger perhaps, like Jordan Staal in his first year in Pitts). Even in 2013-14 I doubt Galchy is going to start the year as a top2 center.

Lets wait a year and see how our centers do first. Desharnais could continue to get better or show signs that last season was likely his career best. Plekanec could get worse or bounce back into the no1b two way center he should be. Eller could have a monster breakout season or fail to have an impact, putting fear his potential is not as high as we hoped.

Too many things can happen and for now having these three guys in the lineup plus potentially a rookie Galchenyuk is amazing. No need to gut the team whenever we FINALLY have strenght at one position.

Soon enough its gonna be ''Who should we trade between Gorges, Markov or Subban to make room for Beaulieu and Tinordi?''. It sickens me.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
  #113
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Let's tread water and hope the tides and the wind takes us where we want to go.

Let's wait just like we did for Koivu and all the others that we dump into the sea for nothing and then to top it off we traded away almost all our 2nd round picks over the last decade to get the pieces we need. We're always so close, can't you just feel it.
That's not exactly what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is "buy low, sell high". Actually, I'm just saying "sell high". Right now, with July 1st right around the corner, established player value is at a nadir. Wideman, an all-star, was traded for a twenty-six year old "prospect" and a fifth round pick. Now, while you can argue that Wideman was a pending FA, the fact of the matter is that every GM is thinking "I could trade for Plekanec now, or I could see who I can get on the market and maybe make a deal for him later"

From July 1st onward Plekanec's value will rise until the trade deadline, when an established two-way player will net the highest return. At the same time, depending on how certain prospects work out, his value to the team may diminish at the start of next season, which would be further grounds to trade him.

But I wouldn't trade him now. Unless a silly offer is on the table I just don't see us getting the right value for him.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
  #114
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
That's not exactly what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is "buy low, sell high". Actually, I'm just saying "sell high". Right now, with July 1st right around the corner, established player value is at a nadir. Wideman, an all-star, was traded for a twenty-six year old "prospect" and a fifth round pick. Now, while you can argue that Wideman was a pending FA, the fact of the matter is that every GM is thinking "I could trade for Plekanec now, or I could see who I can get on the market and maybe make a deal for him later"

From July 1st onward Plekanec's value will rise until the trade deadline, when an established two-way player will net the highest return. At the same time, depending on how certain prospects work out, his value to the team may diminish at the start of next season, which would be further grounds to trade him.

But I wouldn't trade him now. Unless a silly offer is on the table I just don't see us getting the right value for him.
Plus Plekanec is young enough that he could potentially still be a very good player in 3-4-5 years when we can potentially be a very good team. There is nothing etched in stone taht says we can't move Eller or Galchenyuk to wing in the next 2-3 years and have 3 strong forward lines.

I don't see any scenario where we HAVE to tarde Plekanec, I see him as sort of like Yzerman late in his career, a quiet leader that does whatever it takes to win and a guy coaches love, trhe kind of player you find on winning teams.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
  #115
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plus Plekanec is young enough that he could potentially still be a very good player in 3-4-5 years when we can potentially be a very good team. There is nothing etched in stone taht says we can't move Eller or Galchenyuk to wing in the next 2-3 years and have 3 strong forward lines.

I don't see any scenario where we HAVE to tarde Plekanec, I see him as sort of like Yzerman late in his career, a quiet leader that does whatever it takes to win and a guy coaches love, trhe kind of player you find on winning teams.
So i guess you missed Bergevin's press conference where he said we finally have our big #1 centerman right ?

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that Gally moves to the wing.

He will be the Habs #1 center for the 2013/2014 season.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
  #116
Roke
Registered User
 
Roke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
So i guess you missed Bergevin's press conference where he said we finally have our big #1 centerman right ?

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that Gally moves to the wing.

He will be the Habs #1 center for the 2013/2014 season.
Starting Galchenyuk on the wing wouldn't be a bad way to ease him into the NHL. Boston did it with Seguin and that's working out fairly well for him.

He absolutely should eventually end up down the middle unless he's completely incapable though.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
  #117
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
So i guess you missed Bergevin's press conference where he said we finally have our big #1 centerman right ?

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that Gally moves to the wing.

He will be the Habs #1 center for the 2013/2014 season.
At the end of the day Bergevin wants to win, and if moving Galcheyuk to wing(short term or long term) helps that then he will do it. Eller could also be the one moving to wing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 PM
  #118
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,075
vCash: 500
It worries me to see Desharnais being considered a top-6 centre when you consider the matchups he was given all last season. He would get destroyed as a top line centre. As much as I love his chemistry with Patches and Cole, they're better than the time and matchups they got all last season. Eller has never shown any kind of comfort or effectiveness in being converted to a winger, whereas DD has. So I think Eller has to stay the extra centreman, since he looks to be developing well and should grow comfortably into a top 6 role in a couple of years.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
  #119
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,110
vCash: 500
Trade Plekanec for a what? There's no compelling reason to do so and Bergevin's mission is to get the Habs into the playoffs, not give tryouts to less proven players. I'd sooner trade just newly drafted players to GMs who were sad to miss out on them because they'd be wiling to overpay. For example, could Thrower be traded for a 2013 first rounder or Bozon for a second, or either one for a solid roster player?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
  #120
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
It worries me to see Desharnais being considered a top-6 centre when you consider the matchups he was given all last season. He would get destroyed as a top line centre. As much as I love his chemistry with Patches and Cole, they're better than the time and matchups they got all last season. Eller has never shown any kind of comfort or effectiveness in being converted to a winger, whereas DD has. So I think Eller has to stay the extra centreman, since he looks to be developing well and should grow comfortably into a top 6 role in a couple of years.
When we had 1 scoring line last season who do you think the other teams focused on? Or, do you think they decided that they would focus all their attention on Bourque instead?

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:59 PM
  #121
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
I think Eller is more likely to leave than Plekanec. Yes he is a first round pick, but he still hasn't proved to be much of an offensive threat (scoring-wise) and defensively he isn't very close to Plekanec. We'll see how Eller does this season...
lol this is quite funny, ..theres no way they hang onto a 29 year old 5"10 195 center over a 6"2 205, 23 year old kid who is currently trying to shape his game AFTER plekanec, coming off 16 goals last year to pleks 17

theres absolutely positively no way they trade eller before they look at trading plekanec

the 1-2 center tandem of Galchenyuk and Eller is everything weve DREAMED about, ..keep pleks as 3rd line center if you want (yes im talking about 2 years down the road) or give it to leblanc if he earns

but

i like the guy and everything, but its DD thats gotta go...

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
  #122
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
As much as I would like to see Plek leave for another winger with size i believe he is essential to the success of this hockey club.

Last year it was key to get PK Subban, Pacioretty and DD into established players and and we achieved that. This year I believe it is essential to develop Leblanc, Eller and Emelin into established players and maching them with Established Vets is important.

I would love to see Eller matched with Moen and Gionta. I think both Moen and Gionta would be a good influence on Eller.

I would also love to see Leblanc partnered with Plekaneks and some other Guy.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
  #123
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,649
vCash: 500
We need an upgrade, sure trade him. And Gio too. But we have to replace him.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:27 PM
  #124
Halifaxhab
Registered User
 
Halifaxhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
where does Plekanec had star his career ? behind a Mkie Rebeiro and a Radek Bonk then win is minute after 3 ahl year. He wasnt a 1st pick 3rd overall ( #71 3 round in 2001)

Galcheniuk can win a spot this upcoming season then push out bourque on a 3rd line duty but i guess we have to start him on third line duty first to create a chemistry with him and Eller.

this could evovle fast ...

Galcheniuk Plekanec Gionta
Bourque Eller Leblanc
Moen Gomez White

if Galcheniuk is ready we have to make him a room. even if he is not a center. DD Plekanec Eller earn their spot Gomez Galcheniuk will have to win it ...
well, as talented as Galcheniuk is, it wouldn't hurt him to play another year of junior and get way more icetime at his natural position. And keep in mind those 3 full AHL seasons for Pleky set him up for a very solid run these last 6 years.

Regardless of who plays ahead of who, Gally would be better served to get as much ice time as possible. If he comes into camp and earns a top 6 spot, great, otherwise give him the year in junior to get his timing back

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
  #125
NH57
Habs 4 Life
 
NH57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,522
vCash: 500
Keep Plekanec, get rid of Gomez!

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.