HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jokinen heading to free agency

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
He is Swedish but that name is Finnish.

Anyways, Olli is capable of 50 pts and decent 2-way game. But its interesting to see how much money he wants.

IMO He should take a paycut and go to a contending team. Settle for 3rd line role and have awesome depth at center.
This is his job. Would you take a pay cut to make your department the strongest in the company? It's amazing what people think others should do with their money. I bet his family disagrees with you.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
If Jokinen was going to sign for less than 4Million, Feaster would of signed him. He liked it here and I am sure they wanted him back.

Joker is looking for a pay day. Can't wait to see who overpays for him. Could very well be the Flames in the end...

Old
06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Jokinen isn't going to sign with a team to play on the third line. He's a top 6 forward.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
This is his job. Would you take a pay cut to make your department the strongest in the company? It's amazing what people think others should do with their money. I bet his family disagrees with you.
You beat me to it.

Why would 33 yr old Jokinen,be looking for a paycut and lesser role?

Old
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
SheasRebellion6

Jokinen isn't a Swede.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Let's not derail the thread with more Lu and Jaybo talk. Jokinen is far more welcome back here than either of those two. Jokinen was moreso moved out of here because mentally he was having a hard time dealing with nearly killing Richard Zednik. Plus it was good for him in the end because he found a stronger defensive game and FINALLY got to go to the playoffs with the Rangers. He's generally well-liked in Florida.
Really? As a Panthers fan, I'm going to disagree with this. Jokinen openly admitted that he quit on the team to get Jacques Martin fired so **** him. I'd take him back if he's the best player available, but there are plenty of fans who dislike him, as well. To answer the question, he'll probably end up with a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You beat me to it.

Why would 33 yr old Jokinen,be looking for a paycut and lesser role?
Well it depends, whether or not he wants to have a chance for the cup.

No team will win it with Jokinen as their 2C, i've watched him my whole life and this is the conclusion i've come up with. But im not really here to debate about that.

I wasnt telling him what to do but in the case he wants to have a deep playoff run it has to be with team that has 2 centers above him.

Why would he, as 33 yrs old with tons of money, join a team like the Isles or the Jets and once again just settle for trying to make the playoffs?

If a team like Detroit wants to sign him as their 3C and offering, lets say, 2.5 mil, he should consider it. But then again i dont know what he wants and if he is only looking for big bucks.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:56 PM
blankall

Quote:
Well it depends, whether or not he wants to have a chance for the cup.

No team will win it with Jokinen as their 2C, i've watched him my whole life and this is the conclusion i've come up with. But im not really here to debate about that.

I wasnt telling him what to do but in the case he wants to have a deep playoff run it has to be with team that has 2 centers above him.

Why would he, as 33 yrs old with tons of money, join a team like the Isles or the Jets and once again just settle for trying to make the playoffs?

If a team like Detroit wants to sign him as their 3C and offering, lets say, 2.5 mil, he should consider it. But then again i dont know what he wants and if he is only looking for big bucks.
This is a retirement contract for Jokinen. He's looking for more than 2.5 mil. SOB got 2 mil a year. Jokinen was 19th overall in points last year and played a solid 2 way game. That makes him one of the best #2 centres in the league. Not a chance he takes on a 3rd line role for so little money.

Expect him to sign for around 4+ mil for 3+ years.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:01 PM
NuxFan09

Both Anaheim and Chicago make a lot of sense. Chicago has the perennial contender factor and he'll have the chance to play with great players. On the other hand, I think he'd get a bigger opportunity in Anaheim and he'd also be lured by his Finnish countrymen there (Selanne, Lydman, Koivu and even Hagman if he's re-signed).

The Ducks could probably pay him more too. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Anaheim landing him.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I want to see him on the Ducks. He's better than Koivu and would probably be a decent center for Selanne. The Blackhawks could also use him. He had a solid season last year and he has posted around 90 points more than once.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:

Because at 33 yrs old,he's going onto a weak ufa market and should realize this will likely be his last chance to land a big money,longterm nhl contract.

Old
Charlie Sheen Swag

I thought the Leafs should have got him instead of Connolly but oh well. Jw what our center depth would be then ,

Oli, Grabo, Bozak, Conolly?

Old
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This is a retirement contract for Jokinen. He's looking for more than 2.5 mil. SOB got 2 mil a year. Jokinen was 19th overall in points last year and played a solid 2 way game. That makes him one of the best #2 centres in the league. Not a chance he takes on a 3rd line role for so little money.

Expect him to sign for around 4+ mil for 3+ years.
People here tend to overrate him now based on his past season. Yeah, his defensive game was better than ever and he managed to put up good amount of points before the injury that slowed him down a little BUT that '19th overall in points' doesnt mean anything to me. Many centers struggled offensively or were injured. Guys like Getzlaf, Toews, Backes, RNH, Plekanec etc. etc. were behind him in points.

He played to his maximum level this past season, i will eat my hat if he scores 60 pts next season.

And i still wouldnt call his defensive game solid. Good yes, but i wouldnt trust him to shut down the best every night.

It remains to be seen if the GM's have learned their lesson with Olli or is someone really going to trust him with a big role. I wouldnt necessarily say its guaranteed that he wants to go for the money. At his age you usually dont value money as much as winning. He has played 6 playoff games in the NHL and i bet his goal is still to make that one deep playoff run.

I guess the ideal situation for him would be to sign with a young team that can make the playoffs as soon as next season and still pay Olli what he wants.

Last edited by Reikai: 06-28-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

I think the Ducks actually make a lot of sense for all parties involved. We have the money to give him.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

NJ might take a look to put Elias back at LW and a Sykora replacement.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I can't wait to see the morons that overpay this guy. One of the most overrated, inefficient players in the league. Few players in the league waste more offensive zone opportunities with terrible decision making than this guy.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Hopefully Feaster can flip him for a 5th, to recover one from acquiring Wideman.

Old
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I can't wait to see the morons that overpay this guy. One of the most overrated, inefficient players in the league. Few players in the league waste more offensive zone opportunities with terrible decision making than this guy.
Agreed.

I like Olli because im a Finn, but i've always been realistic. Inefficient is a very good word to describe him.

The world turns before Olli scores the game winner in a stanley cup playoff game.

But IF he wants to win the cup right now he plays well enough to handle 3rd line duties and give some scoring support. Playing behind 2 great centers like Z and Dats in Detroit would be the best fit for him. Can also use him on the special teams.

Old
alexmanu

I would take him on the Preds for the right price. Him, Fisher, Legwand and Gaustad would give us a nice group of experienced C's to go along with a group of young and inexperienced wingers.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Agreed.

I like Olli because im a Finn, but i've always been realistic. Inefficient is a very good word to describe him.

The world turns before Olli scores the game winner in a stanley cup playoff game.
He was arguably our best player when we played the Blackhawks in the playoffs in 2008-09. He stepped up when he had to.

Olli had a terrific season last year, and has re-invented his game. He's got great two-way play and can still put up the points. When he's on fire, he's got uber-sick skill. His only weakness right now is inconsistency.

He's hardly the terrible player NYR Sting makes him out to me. HFBoards is full of a bunch of drama queens.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
He was arguably our best player when we played the Blackhawks in the playoffs in 2008-09. He stepped up when he had to.

Olli had a terrific season last year, and has re-invented his game. He's got great two-way play and can still put up the points. When he's on fire, he's got uber-sick skill. His only weakness right now is inconsistency.

He's hardly the terrible player NYR Sting makes him out to me. HFBoards is full of a bunch of drama queens.
He didn't reinvent anything. Coaches just don't let him take 350 shots a season anymore. Over the course of the last 15 years, the two most inefficient and overrated forwards in the league have been Scott Gomez and Olli Jokinen. Non-existent hockey sense. He's a loser who puts up points on bad teams.

I get a migraine from watching him play. Every shift, he does things that make you want to break your television screen. He's just not a smart player.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:29 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Was he not the best Flame last season? Why would they release him since he is settled in Calgary and loves the team?
Doesn't make any sense. He will resign for discount.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:33 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
Was he not the best Flame last season? Why would they release him since he is settled in Calgary and loves the team?
Doesn't make any sense. He will resign for discount.
This is what was supposed to happen. The fact he hasn't signed means he is probably looking for a pay-day.

Old
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

The Ducks make sense, I mean we already have 16 Finns on the roster.

I could live with Jokes at 5 mil for two years, and maybe something like 4.5 for three years. I would HIGHLY prefer him at two years.

But he's the best center on the market an some team will offer him more, we'll see if he goes somewhere just for the money.

Old
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post

He isnt terrible by any means but he is not a winner. Whether it be the NT's or trying to make the playoffs in the NHL he has never been able to ultimately do what it takes. He just has some kind of bad aura around him

I know he was great in 08-09 but there was probably none other with more will than Olli after 10 seasons without a single playoff game. So it was kinda predictable that he would show his best.

Maybe im just bitter because he always sucked for team Finland I'll stick with my opinion though.

Closed Thread