HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Sergei Berezin

vCash: 500
Really want Latendresse or Mueller as project players.

Latendresse preferably.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Don't want to nit-pick, but both Liles and Gardiner play the left side.
You're right. I didn't take LD/RD into account and just threw pairings together. My bad. And your point about keeping Gardiner & Liles apart is great as well. Both puck rushing D-men.

Bottom line Komi must go. I don't know what's worse, his contract or his play...or the fact that he wears a letter on his jersey (seriously hope that changes, so embarassing).

If we can't add anybody via UFA I am fully comfortable with Holzer stepping up. Incredibly impressed with his development. While I don't see us as front-runners, at least we're on Schultz's short list! Get to work Gardiner!!

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:30 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Really want Latendresse or Mueller as project players.

Latendresse preferably.
I like Mueller. And he's also American too. He had a good season with Colorado, just a bit of an injury bug. I think if we can get him, Kulemin could be move for a centre.

Lupl - centre - Kessel
Mueller - Grabo - JVR
Kadri - Bozak - Armstrong

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
never can have enough of a good thing, then trade them ala schenn or beauchemin
Phaneuf - Gunnar
Liles - Komisarek
Franson - Gardiner

I'm sure I'm missing some one too I'd rather give Holzer the shot then sign another UFA. Save the money for some one else..

Old
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I like Mueller. And he's also American too. He had a good season with Colorado, just a bit of an injury bug. I think if we can get him, Kulemin could be move for a centre.

Lupl - centre - Kessel
Mueller - Grabo - JVR
Kadri - Bozak - Armstrong
I'd want Mueller too. He cna play the center area as well and has good vision.

06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Phaneuf - Gunnar
Liles - Komisarek
Franson - Gardiner

I'm sure I'm missing some one too I'd rather give Holzer the shot then sign another UFA. Save the money for some one else..
You got them down but I think one of Gunnar or Franson is a goner tbh. Or Holzer since a lot of people were interested in him.

Well the cap is increasing, so it gives us a chance to play around with things.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
You got them down but I think one of Gunnar or Franson is a goner tbh. Or Holzer since a lot of people were interested in him.

Well the cap is increasing, so it gives us a chance to play around with things.
I think we need help else where. If we are going to get Luongo, that'll take up some room, plus re-signing our current players will take up some as well. We don't need to spend money on the back end anymore.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I think we need help else where. If we are going to get Luongo, that'll take up some room, plus re-signing our current players will take up some as well. We don't need to spend money on the back end anymore.
Ideally you are correct, but there could be still moves going on. I ofc think and have been saying for god knows how long we need veteran leadership in this team. So when our young guys decides to take a nap they get snapped at and work their butt off again. I am still not sold on the loungo thing.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Ideally you are correct, but there could be still moves going on. I ofc think and have been saying for god knows how long we need veteran leadership in this team. So when our young guys decides to take a nap they get snapped at and work their butt off again. I am still not sold on the loungo thing.
There's no way a team like Florida is going to overpay for a goalie who already left their team.. Not only that but they have Markstrom.. Then what do they do with Luongo? Doesn't make sense to me.. Gillis is just going to have to realize that the price tag isn't there because majority of teams have their goalie..

Of course veteran leadership is something we need. But we can get that up front because on the back end we have JM Liles and Komisarek (unless he's moved) and our captain is back there. I think we need more vocal forwards..

Old
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
There's no way a team like Florida is going to overpay for a goalie who already left their team.. Not only that but they have Markstrom.. Then what do they do with Luongo? Doesn't make sense to me.. Gillis is just going to have to realize that the price tag isn't there because majority of teams have their goalie..

Of course veteran leadership is something we need. But we can get that up front because on the back end we have JM Liles and Komisarek (unless he's moved) and our captain is back there. I think we need more vocal forwards..
Well they can easily move Theodore for Loungo with some pieces, gives Schneider a respectable mentor/backup. While Loungo runs down the goalie crease in Florida and mentors Markstrom. It can be done. I do agree Gillis is a kook atm expecting so much for his goalie, he is an elite goalie no doubt but the age isn't great with his contract. If Gillis lowers the price, I'm sure burke can make it happen.

Yea we need help in the bottom six and suspect that is the place where we get some facelift.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Predaleafs

Ive got a weird feeling we sign penner 3 years 4 million and Parros at 2 years 1 million. thus making MacA expandle and we might be abe to get a good center with MacA and Franson

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
Ive got a weird feeling we sign penner 3 years 4 million and Parros at 2 years 1 million. thus making MacA expandle and we might be abe to get a good center with MacA and Franson
if penner is cheap i am down, but parros I can't see.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

My thoughts are a guy like Jay McClement as a 3rd/4th line C (not sure if its a need, I just like him) and a guy like Clemmensen to be a steady backup for Reimer (unless Burke trades for a vet goalie like a Theodore or Backstrom).

I expect the most exciting part of free agency for the Leafs to be the chase after Justin Schultz. Some veteran grit and goaltending are really all I could see being realistic targets. I'd love Parise or Suter but I don't see either signing in Toronto. Parise will likely stick around Jersey or *shudder* Pittsburgh ( I really hope not) and Suter will stay in the U.S. apparently (Detroit?).

Trades seem like a more exciting venture from Burke's standpoint. I doubt this is the year Burke finds a #1 C because there don't seem to be any available so solidifying the goaltending and maybe some bottom six veteran leadership and I'll consider it a solid offseason.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
Penner sucks in the regular season.I hope Burke does not waste money on him.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
would give our winger prospects time and might be enticed to restart his career under carlyle where he thrived the most.

Old
06-28-2012, 03:20 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I believe that Burke and Carlyle know what Penner is like.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Cams

I would not blow the bank on the UFA this year. I like Gaustad as a big, tough centre, can kill penalties too, and if not mistaken is good on faceoffs.

Centre depth: Bozak/Kadri, Grabovski, Gaustad, Steckel

Yes, I really think Kadri should be given a shot at the #1 C spot. A guy with hands like that is a potential passer to Kessel/Lupul

I wouldn't mind a chance at Moen either (LW?).

Other than that - not really interested in much, as they don't have a chance (realistic) at Parise and/or Suter.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cams View Post
I would not blow the bank on the UFA this year. I like Gaustad as a big, tough centre, can kill penalties too, and if not mistaken is good on faceoffs.

Centre depth: Bozak/Kadri, Grabovski, Gaustad, Steckel

Yes, I really think Kadri should be given a shot at the #1 C spot. A guy with hands like that is a potential passer to Kessel/Lupul

I wouldn't mind a chance at Moen either (LW?).

Other than that - not really interested in much, as they don't have a chance (realistic) at Parise and/or Suter.
the way the roster is shaping up that might be his only shot

maybe if JVR can play C and they flip but other than that Kadri is going to need to pull one out of his hat to make it

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:26 PM
CoolBlue*

Quote:
I agree Penner just does not produced enough in the regular season. But there is a good chance based off his history as a Leafs GM Burke is going to over spend on a scrub or two.

Congrats to Italia scoccer fans as Italy dominates and beats the German soccer machine 2-1 today off 2 magnificent goals by Mario Balotelli and are through to the Euro Cup 2012 final vs defending champion Spain Sunday @ 2pm on TSNHD LIVE!! Everyone at the gym today was picking Germany while i was going with Italy who have an excellent record against the Germans!!

FORZA ITALIA!!

Last edited by CoolBlue*: 06-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.
CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
IceDogsandLeafs

Prust, Moen, and Clemmensen would be ideal and realistic.

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:32 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
the way the roster is shaping up that might be his only shot

maybe if JVR can play C and they flip but other than that Kadri is going to need to pull one out of his hat to make it
Neither of these guys can play center. Kadri will play RW on 2nd or 3rd line since they are now looking at a possible "top 9" layout. He should be fine as long as he gets the whole season with the big club.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Neither of these guys can play center. Kadri will play RW on 2nd or 3rd line since they are now looking at a possible "top 9" layout. He should be fine as long as he gets the whole season with the big club.
Kadri for the latter half of his AHL season has been playing as a center.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:41 PM
gravyface

Quote:
Kadri for the latter half of his AHL season has been playing as a center.
There will be some shuffling. I wouldn't be surprised if JVR took a few shifts centering the top line here and there. I'm also half expecting Connolly to have a career year and actually centering the top line like he was supposed to last year.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
There will be some shuffling. I wouldn't be surprised if JVR took a few shifts centering the top line here and there. I'm also half expecting Connolly to have a career year and actually centering the top line like he was supposed to last year.
Personally think he will be working on the wall. He might be given a shot in the pre-season but in the regular season don't see it unless he really shows he isn't rusty.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a chance on the top line.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Just can't see that happening for multiple reasons and having enough wingers now among them.
Attitude etc aside, and the fact he doesn't hit, he is a big body and displayed Kessel or better skills two years ago. If he replaces Kule on the 2nd line with Grabo and JVR they could basically have two #1 lines because Grabo would have to thrive with a 70+pt winger.
A plus player on a Caps club full of minuses and fewer Gvwy than Tkwy. It might push Kadri out as he is small if more aggressive than Semin, and bring back more of a traditional bottom 6 banger. It could work, but Burkes comments don't suggest he is after a scoring winger. The money could get a bit stupid though.

Last edited by nuck: 06-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.
nuck is offline   Reply With Quote