HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 11:37 AM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
The cap hit for Crosby is fine, the length w the concussion is scary.
I agree. However, they could always put him on LTIR and if worse comes to worse Crosby would retire if the serious injuries keep piling up.

Last edited by The Perfect Paradox: 06-28-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
dont know much about him. I just figure they want to improve their 1st line with a LW then bump Hagelin to 3rd line and it still leaves Dubi and Anisimov on that line.

4th line needs some grit if Prust goes and a faceoff man so Konopka does fit. Mitchell sounds like a guy that may be able to help offensively but does he grind it out?
He grinds but doesn't bring much offense although would be better than some of the Rangers depth players like John Mitchell....he is small but quick and plays LW and sometimes takes faceoffs.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Why is the length scary? If Crosby gets a concussion that ends his career and he retires, aren't they off the hook?

Or is the fear that he'll be like DiPietro, too injured to play full seasons but not ready to retire either?
well if he retires they are off the hook I would think yes, but what if he doesn't retire? If he's on IR, they still have to pay him dont they?

Old
06-28-2012, 11:50 AM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
well if he retires they are off the hook I would think yes, but what if he doesn't retire? If he's on IR, they still have to pay him dont they?
Under the current CBA if he is placed in LTIR they will be off the hook regarding his cap hit until he comes back.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Vitto79

Scott Nichol who I thought of as a 4th line C option resigns in STL

btw is Arnott and Langenbrunner , 2 former Debbies a bad idea for vet depth?

Old
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Scott Nichol who I thought of as a 4th line C option resigns in STL

btw is Arnott and Langenbrunner , 2 former Debbies a bad idea for vet depth?
One of them for depth would be great. I'd take Arnott for $2.5, or Langenbrunner for $1.5.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Svenhart2008

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Erik Johnson won't be re-signing with Colorado until July 1st at the earliest #avs #stlblues

UPDATE:

And here is why:

Quote:

Per CBA RFA's can't sign until July first hence Erik Johnson having to wait. No deal is imminent as of today #avs

Last edited by Svenhart2008: 06-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhart2008 View Post

Erik Johnson won't be re-signing with Colorado until July 1st at the earliest #avs #stlblues
Not enough of a need to justify the price. No interest.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:06 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
why in the hell would they give him that contract with all of his concussion problems

Because hs is the best player in the NHL....

Old
06-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Chief

Although I don't think an overhaul is necessary, I think we have to realize that as great as it sounds that we made it to OT of Game 6 of the ECF, we also have to realize that we barely made it out of the first round and the same goes for the second round.

The team needs goals, some physical play and it needs to be on the LW. That should be our priority. If a player can't bring both, then he at least should bring the other in spades. I don't know if Whitney is that guy.

As far as physical play goes, you're not getting that from Whitney. Goals? He'll give you 20+...but disappeared in the playoffs - 2 goals and 5 assists in 16 PO games. 1 assist in 5 games vs. the Kings. 1 goal and 2 assists vs. the Preds (no points in the final 3 games of that series). Was he worn out? Maybe. Could he not handle the playoff grinding style? Maybe. He might help the powerplay but in the end, I don't think Whintey is a great fit for the Rangers. He's an option for sure but I would hope for a better Plan A, B, C, etc...

Old
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Mickey8

Rangers Off Season Prediction

After reading so many opinions and speculations over the past few weeks. This is my gut feeling what perhaps we may end up see happening this off season from the New York Rangers.

Rangers of course as everyone knows are trying to make a blockbuster deal for either Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash. Other players that they may go after as well through trade are Keith Yandle and Paul Stastny.

I expect that Sather won't bite on either Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan as they'll be asking for too much.

I wouldn't be surprise to see Rangers acquire Paul Stastny or Keith Yandle though.

Trading Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, and Erixon for Keith Yandle may not be such a bad idea. Cap space wise we'd be saving up especially come next year with Anismov being an RFA, and the move would save us from having to sign a d-man.

Maybe trading Brandon Dubinsky, Tim Erixon and a 1st for Paul Stastny is another move we can possibly make. This giving Rangers more depth in the center position. Having a 2nd line of Chris Kreider- Paul Stastny- Ryan Callahan sounds legit.

In the end, I predict Rangers will not pull the trigger on a trade, they will keep all their assets and look to add more assets through free agency as they would have money to do so.

Rangers will look to give Parise a long term deal most likely worth around 8M a season. If they do get Parise, look for Rangers to move Brandon Dubinsky for a defenseman who doesn't cost a lot to the cap and a pick. My guess is that Parise will either return to New Jersey or sign in his home town Minnesota at the price of 9M a season. If he goes anywhere else, I really do believe he'll have a change of heart and come play in New York. My guess, he'll sign with Minnesota.

Rangers will not pursue Alex Semin since I haven't heard any rumors of Rangers having interest in Semin. So I believe during their meetings they decided No to Semin. I believe after Frolov and Zherdev having bad runs in New York, they do not want to consider Semin. Their sights will be on Nash, Ryan and Parise. Semin will end up signing elsewhere as I do believe someone will over pay for him. Rangers will want nothing to do with that. He will end up being a solid signing wherever he goes, as he'll put up 30-35 goals, but then will be a bust come playoffs.

So what's left to do then?

If none of the trades get done and end up not signing Parise or Semin.
Gaborik is injured and they already lack scoring.
Something will still get done so not to panic... Maybe it will be better off they miss out on a trade and lose the Parise sweepstakes as another huge long term contract could cause problems for Rangers in the near future.

Firstly, they will re-sign Michael Del Zotto who I believe will earn around 3 to 3.5M a season.
So subtract 3.3M we'll say off of the 21,116,667M that they have to spend this off season.
Knock off another 1.5M for Biron, and 1.2M for Stralman.

This leaves them with 15,116,667M around to spend.

That's a lot of money for new additions.

I expect Schultz to sign with either Edmonton Oilers or Vancouver Canucks and Suter to sign with the Detroit Redwings.

I'm predicting that Jaromir Jagr will end up signing back with the Phladelphia Flyers for another season.

Rangers will then look at I believe 3 players, with one of them signing here.

Ryan Smyth, Ray Whitney and Shane Doan.

I believe this player will end up being Shane Doan for 2 years 5M a season.

Rangers will still have 10,116,667M to spend.

I believe Rangers will throw money at a depth defenseman either being Zanon, Foster or even bring back Matt Gilroy for around 1.7M a season.

My guess is Kurtis Foster.

8,416,667M left.

I believe Rangers will bring back Stu Bickel at .800M a season.

Now 7,616,667M left.

Rangers will bring back both Kris Newbury and John Mitchell combined for around 1.5M.

6,116,667M left now.

With that money left Rangers will then try to sway in the wizard Ray Whitney or Peter Mueller. I believe Rangers will be higher on the younger american boy Peter Mueller for a 2 year deal at 3.6M a season.

Left on the cap now 2,516,667M going into the season with the roster of...

line combos. could and will change.
Kreider- B.Richards- Gaborik
Dubinsky- Stepan- Doan
Mueller- Anisimov- Callahan
Hagelin- Boyle- Rupp
spares- Newbury, Bickel, Mitchell

Staal- Girardi
McDonaugh- Del Zotto
Erixon- Foster
spares- Stralman, Sauer, Bickel

then during the season come trade deadline look for Rangers to add a superstar with moving either Erixon or Del Zotto along with Dubinsky or Stepan or Hagelin, and a 1st.

Weber, Getzlaf, and Iginla alll being possibilities. Who knows who else.

Last edited by Mickey8: 06-28-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
broadwayblue

Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, and Erixon for Keith Yandle?

Old
06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Mickey8

Keith Yandle is a #1 defenseman on most teams, yes.

giving away good depth, I agree, but depth that could also be replaced, its hard to get a #1 defenseman and in the deal don't forget money would be saved.

Maybe it's not their best solution, but I do think to acquire Yandle it would probably take something around that 100%.

If a deal like that were to happen, I do think it would be worth it and good for both parties.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Kershaw

I'd actually prefer Stastny over Ryan and Nash. Center depth is key.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Sign Suter.

Then trade Staal for Ryan.

Then sit back and enjoy Stanley Cups.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I would be game. But I don't think there is a snowball's chance of Semin signing a 1-year deal, certainly not with us (maybe Detroit if he wants to play with Datsyuk). He, like 99% of UFAs, views this as a major opportunity to cash in.

There's no incentive. If things work out on the one year deal, we will re-sign him at basically the contract he could get now. If he takes the one year deal and it doesn't work out, his value is going to be hurt big time when he hits free agency again next year.

Some team is gonna give him 6-7 Mill for 5 years at least IMO. My prediction is a decently well off org who traditionally isn't a huge UFA player like the Wild.
You're likely right, as someone said, to paraphrase, FA players of that stature always take 1 yr deals...

But that's why if the # is 6-7m, which is already the full boat, you get ridiculous and add that extra mil FOR ONLY 1 YEAR.

He would be taking chance of injury, acknowledged.
And I concede a risk like that in and of itself is alone a good basis to not roll the dice and take a mult-year now.

But that aside, we should give him the chance to say... and be our stopgap.

He would be like a regular player finishing his deal, playing for a new contract, again, except the bar would be raised on both sides... he'd be playing to prove he's worth commanding more than not just 6-7 mil, but 8 mil, for whoever will do that next contract after next year.

Odds are not in favor, I admit.
But what if Semin got 50-60 goals?
Hard under Torts system, but he would have the linemates, and Torts system can be modified.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
theFiGS42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'd actually prefer Stastny over Ryan and Nash. Center depth is key.
My problem with the trade for stastny idea is do we give up Stepan? Because he's not a 3rd liner he needs second line minutes and can he shift to Wing full time , I love stastnys game but we need goal scoring (Ryan or Nash)
We go for Parise see what happens with that and if it fails make a move for Ryan. I like the Yandle idea if we sign Parise tho

Old
06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
theFiGS42

Kreider Richards Gaborik
Parise Stepan Callahan
Hagelin FA/Boyle ???
Rupp FA/Boyle ???

McD Girardi
Staal Yandle
MDZ Stralman/FA

Trade Dubi anisimov pick for Yandle. Even with the question marks I like it

Old
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM
ogie

I know everyone around here has their hopes up, but Parise will not be a Ranger come next week, or next month or ever.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
I know everyone around here has their hopes up, but Parise will not be a Ranger come next week, or next month or ever.
The not be a Ranger Jordan Staal kinda not be a Ranger? No way!!! I thought we were every gm's and players #1 choice in life to do business with...you're nuckin futz man...

Old
06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

I have no problem if we only get scraps this off-season; next year, the UFA list is juicier.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block More Shots View Post
One of them for depth would be great. I'd take Arnott for $2.5, or Langenbrunner for $1.5.
You do realize its 2012, right?

Old
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Jim Cerny chat

Quote:
Jim Cerny: I do see a trade or two coming this summer, maybe not huge ones, though maybe so, because I am just not sure they can address all of their needs in free agency

Old
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You do realize its 2012, right?
Langenbrunner would be a solid 4th line addition. Dont care if hes older. He wouldnt need to play every game.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Langenbrunner would be a solid 4th line addition. Dont care if hes older. He wouldnt need to play every game.
Fine.

I just think its a waste of organization assets to be applying time to the acquisition of an ancient Jamie Langenbrunner. I hope Rangers management feels the same way.

Closed Thread