HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Justin Schultz (Update: will sign with Edmonton)

Old
06-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Justin Schultz mix feelings about this kid people say hes good high ceiling but can he do it in the NHL and him wanting a spot on the opening day roster before he signs EARN your spot buddy makes me glad we are not in on him and the money he will get stupid he sounds like a head case full of himself.
...punctuation?

I really don't understand the hate for this kid from anyone by Anaheim fans. It isn't a matter of entitlement--it's common sense. He'll be signing a two-way contract--in addition to his natural desire to compete and produce at the NHL level, there's a strong material incentive for him to target organizations that have openings on their NHL roster and exhibit a willingness to give him a chance. So a team like Detroit, which seems a good fit, falls out of contention because, traditionally at least, they tend to put their kids in the minors for a year or two longer than they need.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:47 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
People better not start sleeping on Manning again either. That kid can do it all. I like his potential to be a steady guy on the backend.
Agreed, though I'd like to see a larger sample size.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
JojoTheWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
People better not start sleeping on Manning again either. That kid can do it all. I like his potential to be a steady guy on the backend.
For the life of me, I can't understand why Manning doesn't get more mentions. I freely admit I saw zero Phantoms games last year, but he has me far more excited than Gus or Bourdon from what I did see of him. He'll never be first pairing or anything, but he's absolutely a quality NHL player some day if he keeps developing.

JojoTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
...punctuation?

I really don't understand the hate for this kid from anyone by Anaheim fans. It isn't a matter of entitlement--it's common sense. He'll be signing a two-way contract--in addition to his natural desire to compete and produce at the NHL level, there's a strong material incentive for him to target organizations that have openings on their NHL roster and exhibit a willingness to give him a chance. So a team like Detroit, which seems a good fit, falls out of contention because, traditionally at least, they tend to put their kids in the minors for a year or two longer than they need.
He wants a spot on the opening day roster no matter what in writing so hes a head case glad we are not in on him.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Why do you hate the period?
To be fair, it does get in the way every couple weeks.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Right, because 21 year old college defensemen have a great track record of going from the NCAA to NHL, and he's demanding top-4 icetime to boot. I'm sick of the Flyers manhandling their own defensive prospects and what would signing this ******** say to all the guys who have shown NHL potential while we already have 6 NHL defensemen signed + Carle.

Let's face it, nobody but Anaheim fans, Pierre McGuire, and HF prospect nerds knew who this guy was before he started this media spectacle. I find it hard to believe that this guys going to jump into the NHL and play consistently solid top-4 calibre defense.
I didn't know who he was before this whole situation happened. I have read up on him a lot and seen many people give scouting reports for him. He is supposed to be better then Jake Gardiner and Ryan Mcdonagh. He has a right handed shot which we sorely miss on our powerplay and defense in general(especially before Schenn arrived). MAB and Gus won't be better then #5-6 defenders in this league IMO. Just my honest opinion from watching them both play. Gus I have a feeling can develop a better all around game because he edges MAB in skating and offensive upside. Justin Schultz beats all our defensive prospects in every category.

I also don't agree with him demanding a place on any back end. You have to earn that right with a good training camp and preseason. With that said, Ken Holland even was willing to offer a spot on his roster to open the season. He is notorious for developing his players and making them fight to make the team. When someone of his caliber of a player becomes available for free you try to get him no matter what. You don't worry about if MAB or Gus feelings are hurt, because the ultimate goal is to become a better team and win the cup. If they were mad or angry, come to camp better then ever before and compete like hell. Try to win that spot back.

Also Manning is supposed to become a 5-6 defender in this league. It was straight from our Director of Hockey Operations mouth. He could develop to be more, but the Flyers are not projecting him to be a top 4 defenseman.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
He wants a spot on the opening day roster no matter what in writing so hes a head case glad we are not in on him.
Who doesn't want a spot on the opening night roster?

What does "in writing" mean in this context? A team can offer him some nice bonuses for production, etc., but they can't guarantee him a spot in the ELC.

There just seems to be nothing but speculation when it comes to this kid. Neither he nor his agent, as far as I can tell, have said a word to the press about what he's looking for. His rumored finalists include four Canadian teams--it seems like playing closer to home is the primary concern, not playing time.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I hope the GM who gets him signs him to a 1 way contract, buries him in the AHL before the season starts, then brings him through re-entry waivers, allowing the Ducks to acquire him.

Unless we acquire him, then Homer will be crucified.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
Nah not coming here cause he's a spoiled brat, should of grew a pair and signed with Anaheim, primadona much
Why should he sign with Anaheim?

I don't get it. They contributed nothing to his development. Why does he owe them any loyalty? Just for drafting him?

Meh, I guess I see a kid who's waited so that he can choose where to spend the next three years, at least, of his life. I have trouble seeing him as a brat or primadona for that.

Didn't he take less money by not signing with Anaheim a few months ago--when he would have burned a year from his ELC for, what, a few weeks service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I hope the GM who gets him signs him to a 1 way contract, buries him in the AHL before the season starts, then brings him through re-entry waivers, allowing the Ducks to acquire him.

Unless we acquire him, then Homer will be crucified.
All ELCs are two way--which, contrary to EA Sports, has nothing to do with clearing waivers...

Old
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
turkinaa

And what happens if he gets as good as he thinks he will be? He will always try to go where he wants to play and for the amount he thinks he's worth.Getting him signed in the future past his ELC will be extremely difficult. His first contract is more of a lease, kicking the tires while he starts playing in the NHL and adjusts.

Let him play in the NHL for 2 years and if he goes get to the point of earning top 4 minutes and is worth X over Y years offer it to him then.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Cause he's a primadona type, spoiled, hope he goes to Edmonton and gets shat on
Are Giroux 4 MVP and BleedOrange the same user?

I'm struggling to understand this: Schultz, who took less money to become a free agent and, by most accounts, wants to play either in his home country or with a pair of his college buddies is a primadona, but Bobby Ryan, who is under a valid NHL contract with Anaheim, but tells the press he wants to come home to Philadelphia, is somehow hard-done by?

Someone, help me out here.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Are Giroux 4 MVP and BleedOrange the same user?

I'm struggling to understand this: Schultz, who took less money to become a free agent and, by most accounts, wants to play either in his home country or with a pair of his college buddies is a primadona, but Bobby Ryan, who is under a valid NHL contract with Anaheim, but tells the press he wants to come home to Philadelphia, is somehow hard-done by?

Someone, help me out here.
It just annoying how widely covered it is, as some other user said he should host a show on tsn called the decision number 2, and no I am my own person calm down there, and how is he turnings living mess money? It's an elc he's going to get the max with all the bonuses

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
It just annoying how widely covered it is, as some other user said he should host a show on tsn called the decision number 2
...Except he isn't dragging it out. He can't sign until July 1--or at least he can't sign for the same amount until that date (I've seen both)--and he hasn't said as much as a word to the press.

The kid has never penned a professional contract. I'm not sure why people are so angry at him for wanting to find a decent situation.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:20 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
...Except he isn't dragging it out. He can't sign until July 1--or at least he can't sign for the same amount until that date (I've seen both)--and he hasn't said as much as a word to the press.

The kid has never penned a professional contract. I'm not sure why people are so angry at him for wanting to find a decent situation.
It's more of him not signing with the team that drafted him and making teams woo him to their team and assurance of playing time. It's what he has done to earn those demands. It would be different if he was a veteran of several years going into his prime.

Many teams are signing players, but they don't get officially finished until free agency starts so he could have signed already.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
It's more of him not signing with the team that drafted him and making teams woo him to their team and assurance of playing time. It's what he has done to earn those demands. It would be different if he was a veteran of several years going into his prime.

Many teams are signing players, but they don't get officially finished until free agency starts so he could have signed already.
Yeah I agree. I am not a fan of the guys who do this in any sport (Manning, Lindros, Drew, etc). That being said, I wouldn't mind him here if he is as good as everyone is saying...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:20 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
To be fair, it does get in the way every couple weeks.
Bad case of the Red Wings?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

I don't get it either. He is playing by the rules, it's not his fault that there is a ton of interest in him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:14 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I don't get it either. He is playing by the rules, it's not his fault that there is a ton of interest in him.
True, but it's easy to dislike how this has evolved. A prospect waits out the signing time with the team that originally drafted him and it quickly morphs into The Bachelor. Paul Holmgren didn't get a rose, so we move on. I don't dispute Schultz's potential, but I would question what dynamic a GM is creating by guaranteeing a spot for a prospect, and not just any spot, but a top-4 spot.

Little criticism of the Schultzapalooza would come across as anything but sour grapes. The Flyers would undoubtedly be a better team with Schultz in their top 6, but it's not worth losing our colective minds (not that I think anyone is!) over missing out on being on the short list.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
True, but it's easy to dislike how this has evolved. A prospect waits out the signing time with the team that originally drafted him and it quickly morphs into The Bachelor. Paul Holmgren didn't get a rose, so we move on. I don't dispute Schultz's potential, but I would question what dynamic a GM is creating by guaranteeing a spot for a prospect, and not just any spot, but a top-4 spot.

Little criticism of the Schultzapalooza would come across as anything but sour grapes. The Flyers would undoubtedly be a better team with Schultz in their top 6, but it's not worth losing our colective minds (not that I think anyone is!) over missing out on being on the short list.
I don't know about all that. When everyone is healthy on our D corp, they're not bad at all. They could use a little more help from the forwards, but they're not bad.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I don't know about all that. When everyone is healthy on our D corp, they're not bad at all. They could use a little more help from the forwards, but they're not bad.
I don't know much about Schultz, but if all the hype is true, I'm willing to bet he's an improvement over Gus or MAB.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:48 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know much about Schultz, but if all the hype is true, I'm willing to bet he's an improvement over Gus or MAB.
At least these two, if not others. Consistency has been the hobgoblin of this defensive squad as much as injuries.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I think if Gus or MAB had a chance to go back and play college kids today they'd probably tear **** up in a big way.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think if Gus or MAB had a chance to go back and play college kids today they'd probably tear **** up in a big way.
I assume you are saying he is overrated because he played in college, as if I was saying I think he is as good as his reputation is. This is a big problem on this board. People don't read entire posts. I said if the hype is true he'd be an improvement. If it isn't, and he isn't very good, then he wouldn't be an improvement. Not a tough concept to follow if you read the post. I wasn't knocking Gus or MAB, though I don't think they are much better than borderline bottom pairing NHLers, nor was I saying Schultz will be a super-star. Simply responded to a post that said he wouldn't improve the team by saying that if the hype is true, he will. Which I don't think really can be disputed. The hype is that he is a top four defenseman, MAB and Gus are not top 4 defensemen. From that you could glean that if the hype is true, he is better than MAB and Gus and thus improves the team. Again, that may not be true, but my statement was that if it is, he would improve the team.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I assume you are saying he is overrated because he played in college, as if I was saying I think he is as good as his reputation is. This is a big problem on this board. People don't read entire posts. I said if the hype is true he'd be an improvement. If it isn't, and he isn't very good, then he wouldn't be an improvement. Not a tough concept to follow if you read the post. I wasn't knocking Gus or MAB, though I don't think they are much better than borderline bottom pairing NHLers, nor was I saying Schultz will be a super-star. Simply responded to a post that said he wouldn't improve the team by saying that if the hype is true, he will. Which I don't think really can be disputed. The hype is that he is a top four defenseman, MAB and Gus are not top 4 defensemen. From that you could glean that if the hype is true, he is better than MAB and Gus and thus improves the team. Again, that may not be true, but my statement was that if it is, he would improve the team.
Bob McKenzie said that teams have every reason to believe that Schultz will live up to expectations about his skill level. That's good corroboration for your qualifier.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
That assumption is incorrect, but it's not your fault. I just put the premise of my point out there with out ever clearly making it, so it's understandable you took it how you did. I said what I did more to emphasize that MAB and Gus are certainly not less deserving of a shot at the top four than Schultz at this point (and no, they are probably not inferior hockey players to him overall once we get past the hype).

I did not make the comparison in order to imply that Schultz can't step in as a decent 4/5 guy. In fact I think MAB or Gus fit best as 4/5/6 guys (though Gustaffson probably has some upside to be more a little than that IMO). Schultz just makes little sense for the Flyers. We already have comparably capable defenseman on the roster that have shown more at the NHL level. If we make moves or sign guys, it should be to improve at a roster spot as opposed to clog the depth chart. And though it wasn't my point with my previous post, yes I believe penciling Schultz into the line up is probably a lateral move at best this season, given the growing pains Schultz is likely to go through, and we don't know that it's an improvement in seasons going forward.

Homer would be better served to let the guys he has now play and get better. This team has plenty, plenty of talent. They just need a year or two of the roster not being over-managed to gel and I think they can be awesome.