HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CGY/WAS]D.Wideman for J.Henry, 5th Pick (2013); Re-Sign Wideman (5 Yrs/$26.25 mil)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
I think Wideman has had plenty of chances to prove himself, yet Bruins/Panthers/Capitals fans all hate him...
Great. Let's see what happens in 2012-13. Cool?

Old
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think Wideman has had plenty of chances to prove himself, yet Bruins/Panthers/Capitals fans all hate him...
He obviously did more than enough during his time as a Bruin to impress John Weisbrod, who's opinion quite frankly holds far more value to me than your's does.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
He obviously did more than enough during his time as a Bruin to impress John Weisbrod, who's opinion quite frankly holds far more value to me than your's does.
Do you really think that all these fans of teams that Wideman has been on are making this stuff up or something?

If you have it set in your head that Wideman is suddenly the second coming of Bobby Orr, have fun with that.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
superrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Yeah, they are... When Wideman's contract finishes, Erhoff will still have 4 years left on his. Ohlund is a shell of his former self, is six years older and and makes even more per year than Wideman does.

This contract is hardly terrible. It's not ideal that's for sure... but if he puts up the points, that's what he's being paid to do.

Plus, the season hasn't even started yet - maybe you should wait more than one day after the contract is signed before you try to critically analyze how the contract turned out.
Erhoff is a better defenceman with a lower cap hit. His salary drops way down at the end ofhis contract. Not sure what Ohlund has to do with the list of players I was commenting on. Usually UFA contracts are judges based on what the player has already done to earn the money they receive. I doubt he is going to be a completely different player on Calgary. He may have good offensive skills, but his defense is pretty bad.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrich View Post
Usually UFA contracts are judges based on what the player has already done to earn the money they receive.
So then you, above anybody else, should understand that UFA's typically command more on July 1st than at any other time. Someone got a raise on July 1st? Say it ain't so!

Plus, as has been mentioned previously in this thread, the cap went up to $70 million... a $5.25M per year contract has less monetary value vs. the cap and less of a cap hit impact than last year, the year before, the year before that. If you pro-rate his contract to last year's salary cap, he's making $4.7 per... hardly a raise above his 2011-12 salary to have a heart attack over.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Devonator

Calgary fans, deal with it....it is a horrible contract for a not so great player.....and if it includes a NMC, your manager is truly an idiot....

Every team pretty well has one or two bad contracts...this is yours now Flame fans....as others have suggested, half way through the next season you guys will be screaming bloody murder over what a bum you signed! And sadly for you guys, you cannot bury him ala Redden in New York.....

Old
06-28-2012, 05:55 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Do you really think that all these fans of teams that Wideman has been on are making this stuff up or something?

If you have it set in your head that Wideman is suddenly the second coming of Bobby Orr, have fun with that.
When did I say that.

He is a top four defensemen, that is one of the best at producing points from the blueline in the entire NHL. Yes, he comes with his flaws, but so does nearly every other player that tests free agency. Instead of focusing on both the positives and negatives that he can bring to the table, you insist on continually harping on his defensive deficiencies in an attempt to make the contract look worse than it is.

Like I said previously, when you take into account the slim UFA market this season and the annually increasing cap ceiling, this contract is hardly shocking or inflated.

Unreasonable and rather childish response's like your first post in this thread will make it much tougher for me to take your opinion's seriously. It is more than clear that you will not give an unbiased assessment on his play.

Quote:
LOL

Wideman is really, really, really, really, really, REALLY ****ing bad.

One of the worst dmen I have ever seen play the game.

If you want to delude yourself and judge him only by the point production that he manages to achieve, do yourself a favor and listen to the myriad of posts from fans of teams that have had Wideman.

I absolutely cannot WAIT for the "waive Wideman" topics that will surely be up by December/January on the Flames board.
I can respect someone not falling in love with this contract, but at the same time I would appreciate a reasonable and indepth response.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
When did I say that.

He is a top four defensemen, that is one of the best at producing points from the blueline in the entire NHL. Yes, he comes with his flaws, but so does nearly every other player that tests free agency. Instead of focusing of both the positives and negatives that he can bring to the table, you insist on continually harping on his defensive deficiencies in an attempt to make the contract look worse than it is.

Like I said previously, when you take into account the slim UFA market this season and the annually increasing cap ceiling, this contract is hardly shocking or inflated.

Unreasonable and rather childish response's like your first post in this thread will make it much tougher for me to take your opinion's seriously, as it is clear that you will not give an unbiased assessment on his play.

I can respect someone not falling in love with this contract, but at the same time I would appreciate a reasonable and indepth response.
I can't make an unbiased opinion when I have seen him play for years on MY team and you haven't even seen him play a game for yours? Makes sense.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
So bad

Old
06-28-2012, 05:59 PM
rocsfeather
jump

i think people that have watched a player for years have a better understanding of said player than overly hopeful fans

Old
06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

New thread guys.