HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs Defense

Old
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
It's hard to speculate because the defense is so young (people forget that Phaneuf is only 27) and there's so many of them. There will be a lot of change over the next couple years.

I am so damn excited for Rielly, though.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 500
Im a huge Leaf fan but their D is terrible. Well for next season at least. Gardiner and Gunnarsson are the only 2 i have faith in going into next season. Phaneuf needs to settle his game a bit and he could be a solid #1D. After that we have Liles who looked terrible after his concussion, Komi....., Franson who although is a good PP guy should only be playing #5,6 minutes then unproven prospects. In an ideal world, Liles Komisarek and Franson are dealt and Burke acquires Lydman or some other solid defensive vet after signing Schultz.

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Lydman
Schultz - Holzer

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Komisarik
Liles - Franson

That's the Leaf defense at the moment. Rielly only played a handfull of games and will be sent back.

Leafs will push for Schultz and the D could look like this:

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Schultz
Liles - Franson
Komisarik

Leafs are high on Holsner -- big German kid that played well last season. He's NHL ready and can play the body.

There other prospects, along with Rielly, are a year or two away -- Percy, Finn, Blacker, Granberg.
I find it hard to believe the Leafs will sign Schultz, I'm guessing hes going to end up in Edmonton, hell get top four minutes right out of the gate.

I also think the top 7 will be Phaneuf, Gunnar, Liles, Gardiner, Franson, Komi and Holzer/Blacker. Not great, but not awful.

It would be moronic to keep Rielly up this year. Coming off a very serious injury and isn't the biggest person out there, needs some time to develop/grow. Look what an extra year in Juniors did for Hamilton? Dominated for a year, and now is oozing with confidence and pretty much penciled into our top six without even playing a game in the NHL. I potentially see the same path for Rielly...both are studs.

Defense is the least of Torontos worries IMO, they need a #1 center and I don't think it would hurt to get a capable #1 starting goalie...look what happened with Reimer/Monster last year, very very inconsistent.

If they get a goalie and some more depth down the middle, I think they could be a team with the 6-10 seed in the East.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:53 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

It'll be interesting to see how Carlyle will work with such an offensive defence staff. A defence first coach doesn't really have those pieces to play with IMO

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 12:55 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAssassin View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on this D moving forward into the season? Obviously it is unknown if Burke makes anymore trades or FA signings but how do you see it stacking up?

Being an LA fan I love how they have a veteran Defensive minded D-man paired with their young offensive guys, just dont see that happening in Leafs system. Also, Im sure its unlikely to happen but if Burke truly thought Rielly was a 1st overall guy, would that not be an indication he should be an immediate impact?

Gardiner- ???
Rielly- ???
Liles-Phaneuf

Komisarek, Gunnar, Franson, Holzer

Does Schulltz fit somewhere? Does Rielly take a full season in the CHL again?

I thought Zybnek Michalek would have been a great addition to this core with what he could provide, especially being a RHD whose D first mentality would compliment either Gardiner or Rielly very well. That option is gone.. Any other thoughts...
Another fan who wants to ruin Rielly's development a la Schenn?

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
SoulAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Im a huge Leaf fan but their D is terrible. Well for next season at least. Gardiner and Gunnarsson are the only 2 i have faith in going into next season. Phaneuf needs to settle his game a bit and he could be a solid #1D. After that we have Liles who looked terrible after his concussion, Komi....., Franson who although is a good PP guy should only be playing #5,6 minutes then unproven prospects. In an ideal world, Liles Komisarek and Franson are dealt and Burke acquires Lydman or some other solid defensive vet after signing Schultz.

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Lydman
Schultz - Holzer
What about a veteran like Cory Sarich? Big stay at home type, lots of experience, RH. Would he be worthwhile on a 1-2 yr contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Another fan who wants to ruin Rielly's development a la Schenn?
So now ANY 1st Round Draft Pick that plays the year he is drafted will be ruined like Schenn? Really seemed to hurt Drew Doughty.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The defense will be good if Carlyle focuses on team defense. Wilson's run n' gun system was a joke.
That's what happens when you build your team around Phil Kessel. Leafs defense should be better but their top line won't produce as much offense as they did last year. You create a lot more chances off the rush when your wingers are always floating.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

This is how I see our d pairings for now and future.
Next season:
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Schultz/Holzer
Liles-Franson/Holzer
Franson/Komisarek

Future:
Reilly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Schultz/Finn
Blacker-Percy
XXXXX

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
WarriorofTime

Burke won't put Rielly in right away. He's notorious for giving prospects time. He missed most of the year last season so he could use the extra development. If there's one thing the leafs actually have on defense it's depth. Rushing him in would be stupid. His D will get picked apart by NHL forwards next year.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWL View Post
My thoughts on the Leafs' D are quite pessimistic. There's always the temptation to evaluate each member of the anticipated top 6 defensemen and think "this guy's pretty good" and "that guy has a lot of potential" and so on and so forth, which often leads to the conclusion that the Leafs are deep and solid on defense. But that kind of analysis in this case would be grossly incomplete and misleading. Because when you evaluate the unit as a whole, it's been nothing short of a royal mess. And I can't really find a persuasive reason to believe differently for this upcoming season, with or without Schultz.

What the Leafs lack, in my opinion, is balance on defense. There's a woeful shortage of rugged and reliable shutdown types and an abundance of mobile, offensively-oriented types. Not surprisingly, they were pretty good with the puck and pretty abysmal without it. Making matters worse, Toronto has perhaps the worst goaltending situation in the entire league, and up to this point, haven't shown the top-to-bottom commitment to team defense that you see from the true contending teams. Supposedly, Carlyle will install a defense-first system, but he failed to do that in Anaheim without the HoF duo of Pronger and Niedermeyer, and the Leafs still looked incompetent on defense after he took over from Wilson. If I was a Leafs fan, I'd just want to cover my eyes when my team loses possession of the puck.
If I could translate ideas into sentences this is what I'd say as well. I think most non leaf fans think this about leafs d.

medhatcanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Our defence does have skilled, good players, but they haven't developed a lot, if any, chemistry. And now we have a smaller, weaker defence with the loss of Schenn.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Our defence does have skilled, good players, but they haven't developed a lot, if any, chemistry. And now we have a smaller, weaker defence with the loss of Schenn.
Get Phanuef a defensive shutdown partner. Get Gardiner a real mentor like Suter. And infuse some more youth like Schultz. All probable, unlikely but probable.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:57 PM
bobbyt91
plz quote cuz bored

Before they seemed to play a stay at home D with an offensive D and if they cont down that road I see Phaneuf with Gunnarsson, Gardiner with Franson and Liles with Komi, Holzer, (longshots) Blacker and Percy. But if they go with the best 6 with out looking at handedness etc then Phaneuf-Gardiner then Gunnarsson-Liles and the top 2 out of Franson, Komi, Holzer, Blacker and Percy.

bobbyt91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Cogburn

They will sign Aaron Rome to a 3.5 million dollar, 4 year contract, and he will spend 3/4's of it in the AHL.

That our 1.25 given the market, and he'll be a fine bottom line defender with Carlyle.

Cogburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Get Phanuef a defensive shutdown partner. Get Gardiner a real mentor like Suter. And infuse some more youth like Schultz. All probable, unlikely but probable.
They're all probably gonna happen but most likely won't happen?

But yes, adding Suter to your D corp would turn it into a very good unit.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
What?

Phaneufs list of needs could never be met, and Gardiner has Justin Beber music to inspire him. No need for Ryan Suter.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
medhatcanuck

Sorry. I meant possible. Not likely but possible

Old
06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
hockeywoot

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Komi
Liles - Franson

possibly Schultz?

Leafs' D is not bad. But not great.
Some awesome younger pieces going forward.
However the D is a bit unbalanced.

Too many OFD. Gardiner, Liles, Franson.
IMO, they could use someone who is rock-solid in the back end, play a shutdown role,
and provide a physical presence. Everything they need Komi to be.

I don't know if Gunnarson should play top-pairing, but he's pretty good.
A solid complement for Phaneuf.

hockeywoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Xoggz22

I have seen Holzer mentioned in a couple posts. I thought the Leafs declined qualifying him. ??? Not that they still couldn't sign him but if that's the case is he really part of their future? Gunnarson, Gardner and Phaneuf are solid pieces but I think you need three more. Reilly will certainly fill one but he's a few years from significant contribution I would think.

My bad... I just looked and see that Holzer was actually qualified. Thought I saw a twitter report that he wasn't qualified. so that's another potential piece (bottom pair guy right?)

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:28 PM
IceDogsandLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAssassin View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on this D moving forward into the season? Obviously it is unknown if Burke makes anymore trades or FA signings but how do you see it stacking up?

Being an LA fan I love how they have a veteran Defensive minded D-man paired with their young offensive guys, just dont see that happening in Leafs system. Also, Im sure its unlikely to happen but if Burke truly thought Rielly was a 1st overall guy, would that not be an indication he should be an immediate impact?

Gardiner- ???
Rielly- ???
Liles-Phaneuf

Komisarek, Gunnar, Franson, Holzer

Does Schulltz fit somewhere? Does Rielly take a full season in the CHL again?

I thought Zybnek Michalek would have been a great addition to this core with what he could provide, especially being a RHD whose D first mentality would compliment either Gardiner or Rielly very well. That option is gone.. Any other thoughts...
Liles-Phaneuf
Gunnar-Gardiner
Franson-Komi

That is of course if they can't get Schultz, Suter, or maybe Carle. I could see them looking for a veteran that would be more of a short term deal than the aforementioned targets, say a Corvo, Zanon, Hannan, ect

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote