HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anybody want Matt Carle back?

Old
06-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
As much as I don't want to over pay for Matt Carle, do you guys actually SEE the names you're typing as replacements?!
i'm not going to overpay just because we might take a step back this year.... that's how you end up with bad contracts

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Broad Street Elite

Let Gus/Bourdon/Lilja lock down the 6 spot this season and upgrade our team defense via adding a 3rd line forward and a 4th line center. Overall, I'd say that's much smarter than overpaying Matt Carle because the cap ballooned in a year where there were few free agents.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:10 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'd only give him 1, just in case.

Sounds like Carle's agent either re-considered or there really was never a deal. I'm sure they saw Wideman's deal and said 'wait a second.'

As I understand it, once the cap number is agreed upon/announced, tagging rules become irrelevant. So, if they had a deal, they didn't need to keep waiting. That's what I had figured would happen, but it hasn't. Holmgren said he thought he would get below market-value, that won't happen if he gets to Sunday, so he either needs to get it done or enact the backup plan. TSN has been able to get these things right going the other direction in the past.

Holmgren does have backup plans, right?
I don't understand why Holmgren would even say he thought he could sign him below market value. It's really insulting to the player to hear that.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:11 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I don't understand why Holmgren would even say he thought he could sign him below market value. It's really insulting to the player to hear that.
Why?

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:17 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Functionally, Schenn is the replacement.

Coburn-Grossman
Timonen-Schenn
Mez-MAB / Gus
Lilja

There's really nothing wrong with that--or at least nothing that Matt Carle would fix.

Our defensive issues are as much about system as personnel, IMO.
Oh right. For some reason I either forgot about Schenn or had Mez already traded for Ryan. Forgot we were actually talking about our 6th starting D. Carry on.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
I agree that the GM shouldn't be going public with that info. I cringed when I heard him say that, and if I was Carle I wouldnt have been happy. In any case, that's not something that can help negotiations.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Prongo
Beer

They better be making a great trade for a stud dman, or just standing pat. There is only two free agent dman I really think would be a good fit for us. Ryan Suter and Micheal Rozsival. Other than that, they all scare the living hell out of me. I really don't feel confident going into the season with MAB/Gus as our 6th defenders though.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I'd only give him 1, just in case.

Sounds like Carle's agent either re-considered or there really was never a deal. I'm sure they saw Wideman's deal and said 'wait a second.'

As I understand it, once the cap number is agreed upon/announced, tagging rules become irrelevant. So, if they had a deal, they didn't need to keep waiting. That's what I had figured would happen, but it hasn't. Holmgren said he thought he would get below market-value, that won't happen if he gets to Sunday, so he either needs to get it done or enact the backup plan. TSN has been able to get these things right going the other direction in the past.

Holmgren does have backup plans, right?
wouldnt Holmgren have to have a plan in order to have a backup plan?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
wouldnt Holmgren have to have a plan in order to have a backup plan?
Well played, sir

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Why?
because deep down he knows that in Carle's first year to test the UFA market there is very little chance he takes below market value to stay. he say whatever he wants. But I wasnt buying it for a second.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
TheLegendkiller

I'd sign Souray...he seems to have turned it around in Dallas. But I'd only sign him for like 2 years just in case he falls off the wagon again. So I'm sure he'd sign somewhere else.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
i'm not going to overpay just because we might take a step back this year.... that's how you end up with bad contracts
I concur. I would rather have a less than satisfactory defense for a year then a cap nightmare for 5. I don't see Carle as being the missing piece of a Stanley Cup parade. Is he better than not having him? Sure. But he isn't a key piece. I don't see this team as a top 5 Cup contender next season with or without Carle. We would still be behind the likes of Pitt, NYR, and Boston for sure in the East. I recognize that with luck, all things are possible, but I'd rather not rely on luck.

Let's say they sign Carle to a 5.5 mil 5 yr contract. How good will that make us when Simmonds, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier are all coming off contracts? Is Carle's contract worth getting rid of young forwards? I don't think so. I'd rather have the freedom to sign those players and not have to worry about another stupid long term inflated contract.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
They better be making a great trade for a stud dman, or just standing pat. There is only two free agent dman I really think would be a good fit for us. Ryan Suter and Micheal Rozsival. Other than that, they all scare the living hell out of me. I really don't feel confident going into the season with MAB/Gus as our 6th defenders though.
I'd be up for resigning Carle so long as the deal was right considering what's out there but I'm not too fussed with MAB or Gus (or both) as our 6th. They played fine last year, they weren't the reason the D sucked, most of the time it was errors by our more established players. The problem (as I see it) is that there aren't enough D leaders, Coburn, Mesz, Grossmann and Schenn (though I'm not that knowledgeable about him) are all guys who I feel need to play in a pair with someone who leads the pair. They are the complimantry player. They're all OK. Our Defensive players are fine it's their organisation that needs to be tweaked, I just get the feeling that there are too many followers rather than organisers in that bunch. That's why I think Gus and MAB did ok last year, they both new they were the (female dog) in their partnership

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:53 AM
daynus

for around 5M

yah, carle is welcome back. but something around 5.75, 6 for 5 years, i wish the guy the best. man if carle gets 6, suter is gonna be good for 8. these contracts are getting out of hand. the best thing that happened in the nfl, was last years off season. now guys that deserve money get what they deserve. the price for a first round draft pick, for 4 years, is what it should be. the entire nhl is in trouble. they need to hang around with the nfl boys and learn how to run a league that is crazy profitable, how to pay guys what they are worth, and how not to overpay FAs to meet a teams need. i hope the cba fixes this problem. if it drags around too long, i would bring in robert kraft,jonathon kraft, jerry jones and show these boys how to run a team and a league.step 1 scrap the draft lottery. their are like 5 tie breakers set up to determine who is honestly the bottom team.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
yah, carle is welcome back. but something around 5.75, 6 for 5 years, i wish the guy the best. man if carle gets 6, suter is gonna be good for 8. these contracts are getting out of hand. the best thing that happened in the nfl, was last years off season. now guys that deserve money get what they deserve. the price for a first round draft pick, for 4 years, is what it should be. the entire nhl is in trouble. they need to hang around with the nfl boys and learn how to run a league that is crazy profitable, how to pay guys what they are worth, and how not to overpay FAs to meet a teams need. i hope the cba fixes this problem. if it drags around too long, i would bring in robert kraft,jonathon kraft, jerry jones and show these boys how to run a team and a league.step 1 scrap the draft lottery. their are like 5 tie breakers set up to determine who is honestly the bottom team.
The problem is the stupid owners. They are the ones who drive up the salaries.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:24 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
because deep down he knows that in Carle's first year to test the UFA market there is very little chance he takes below market value to stay. he say whatever he wants. But I wasnt buying it for a second.
Yeah, that's fine, and probably true-- I just dont see how it is "insulting" for Carle to hear.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Yeah, that's fine, and probably true-- I just dont see how it is "insulting" for Carle to hear.
Whenever you offer less money for a service you are insulting the person. He should have never said what he did publicly but it isn't the first time he's done something like that.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Snotbubbles

I don't want Carle back. I'd rather sink or swim with what we have. There's no sense in paying Carle what his market value is gonna be unless they are going to trade Mezsaros, and I can't imagine he has much trade value ATM so he'd be a dump.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Whenever you offer less money for a service you are insulting the person. He should have never said what he did publicly but it isn't the first time he's done something like that.
I think what Holmgren said was acknowledging that Matt liked Philadelphia and was willing to take the proverbial hometown discount to stay. I just don't think anyone grasped at the close of last season just how flush with cash teams were going to be and how few players would make it to free agency.

A month ago, we were talking about a $65M cap, not 70.2M. Every team has more money and more teams are below the floor and thus HAVE to spend.

At the end of the day, it just came down to... it's a good year to be Matt Carle.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Unstable

Stand pat and go after Weber next year.

Schenn, Kimmo, Coburn, Mez, Grossmann, and MAB can get the job done for one year.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Stand pat and go after Weber next year.

Schenn, Kimmo, Coburn, Mez, Grossmann, and MAB can get the job done for one year.
Why not sign Carle and go after Weber next year? Kimmo is off the books the next year.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why not sign Carle and go after Weber next year? Kimmo is off the books the next year.
I hope we get Shea Weber and retain Kimmo next year. Hopefully Kimmo will take a deal around 4 million or so. He is still an extremely valuable asset on this team.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:58 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I hope we get Shea Weber and retain Kimmo next year. Hopefully Kimmo will take a deal around 4 million or so. He is still an extremely valuable asset on this team.
I have to imagine Kimmo will be retiring next year. He'll 38 going on 39 next season and while he is still effective, he takes a beating on a nightly basis. That doesn't get any easier as the years go on.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have to imagine Kimmo will be retiring next year. He'll 38 going on 39 next season and while he is still effective, he takes a beating on a nightly basis. That doesn't get any easier as the years go on.
Yea, I agree but there has been so many conflicting reports if he will be done after this year. I just really want to get the guy a cup, but feel he might end his career without one like so many others.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Yea, I agree but there has been so many conflicting reports if he will be done after this year. I just really want to get the guy a cup, but feel he might end his career without one like so many others.
He said in a post game interview this past season that he thinks he still has a few more seasons in him. I hope it's true and the Flyers can re-sign him for relatively cheap

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote