HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Carle to Test FA Waters

Old
06-28-2012, 06:41 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Someone is overpaying for this guy!! what a time it is to be an UFA defenceman today!

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:42 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Most Flyers fans would be okay with around 4.75 mil at the max. He's not a bad d man just was relied on too heavily last year. He played great when he was with Pronger. Too bad well never see that again.
Yea if you have a stud dman he's great to pair with. If you can get him for under 5 I'd do it.

As far as the flyers I'd rather use his money on someone else. Also saw somewhere that if we signed him we would not go after JS

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Broad Street Elite

Most reasonable Flyers fans said 4.75M was a very fair price. Really anything less the 5M isn't horrific. 5+? .... good luck Matt, its been fun.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:47 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Most reasonable Flyers fans said 4.75M was a very fair price. Really anything less the 5M isn't horrific. 5+? .... good luck Matt, its been fun.
We could really use him back in Tampa. He could play with Brewer or Hedman for us. We need a top 4 D and there is none left. But if he going to cost us 5+, I would roll the dice and try to make a trade instead for someone else.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
TheLegendkiller

I hope some team gives Carle 5.5 for like 5 years. I'd laugh.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I too think the Ducks could be a team interested. They're in desperate need of NHL defensemen. The Avalanche could also use him; he wouldn't look terrible paired with Johnson. The Lightning might want him back too.

Thank God my team doesn't need defensemen and likely won't sign even one this year in free agency, because Matt Carle is not worth $5M+ which is what he'll likely get. I think somewhere in the range of $4M-$4.5M is very fair but anything more is overpayment and if he gets $5.5M-$6M, that's going to be atrocious. If I were the Flyers, I'd let him walk. There's a chance they still have Pronger and although older they still have Timonen. Not to mention they just got Schenn and still have Coburn, Grossmann, and even guys like Gustafsson and Bourdon trying for spots. Carle's a good player but he's not elite. For that price, I'd put that money to use elsewhere.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Ashley

tampa can use him. free agents love florida right?

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Kloparren
Hth

If Avs overpay then I'd rather Garrison than Carle....Garrison can play defence at least while Carle is less reliable on it than Liles was.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

so going through MSE's GDT's, it seems carle has played on both sides in Philly.
Do flyers fans have any insight into where he is better? Obviously on the right side with pronger was the best situation for him, but is he bad on the left side or just worse without pronger?

Carle-Karlsson i could live with ~5M. Carle behind Karlsson at 5M on the second pairing makes little sense to ottawa.

06-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
If Avs overpay then I'd rather Garrison than Carle....Garrison can play defence at least while Carle is less reliable on it than Liles was.
I think you flipped that around: Matt Carle is pretty good in his own end, and he's a decent passer, but he can't shoot for crap. Garrison tends to run around a bit in his own, whereas Carle is positionally sound.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
so going through MSE's GDT's, it seems carle has played on both sides in Philly.
Do flyers fans have any insight into where he is better? Obviously on the right side with pronger was the best situation for him, but is he bad on the left side or just worse without pronger?

Carle-Karlsson i could live with ~5M. Carle behind Karlsson at 5M on the second pairing makes little sense to ottawa.
I forgot to answer your original question when I saw it a page or two back. IIRC, and Flyers fans can correct me if I'm wrong, Carle actually plays more on the left side, with Pronger on the right. Obviously, he had different partners this past season with Pronger injured, so he might have been playing some on the right as well.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
mja
Negative Creep

His passing is his best asset, but gets him into trouble at least twice a game when he thinks of a nifty pass to a teammate who isn't even remotely expecting a pass while in his own end, inevitably leading to a turnover and scoring chance against. Still, he can do things with a puck that not many other guys can.

Positionally sound, not physical.

No shot, hasn't been good on the pp in Philly.

I've defended him throughout his tenure. I'd have a hard time paying him what I think he can get on the open market.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
His passing is his best asset, but gets him into trouble at least twice a game when he thinks of a nifty pass to a teammate who isn't even remotely expecting a pass while in his own end, inevitably leading to a turnover and scoring chance against. Still, he can do things with a puck that not many other guys can.

Positionally sound, not physical.

No shot, hasn't been good on the pp in Philly.

I've defended him throughout his tenure. I'd have a hard time paying him what I think he can get on the open market.
x2--a better scouting report than I provided above.

I don't hate him as much as many Flyers fans do, but I don't think he's worth $5 million a year either--particularly when he figured to split time between the 2nd and 3rd pairings next season.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If this is because of the Wideman signing, this is basically what Feaster has caused:

Just... ****...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:17 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I think you flipped that around: Matt Carle is pretty good in his own end, and he's a decent passer, but he can't shoot for crap. Garrison tends to run around a bit in his own, whereas Carle is positionally sound.
Carle has such a bad shot, he was often dubbed Weak Wrists.

At this point, I will feel bad for the team that pays 5.5+ for him. It would be massive overpayment.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Carle to me is just Komisarek 2.0. Paired with someone who gets him an inflated contract.

Personally I'd stay way from him at anything over 3.75 mill.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:21 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Carle to me is just Komisarek 2.0. Paired with someone who gets him an inflated contract.

Personally I'd stay way from him at anything over 3.75 mill.
Except Carle is the total opposite of Komisarek.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:21 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

The Avs desperately need a puck mover that can log some minutes with EJ. I think Carle is a great fit for Colorado. I just hope it's for less than 5 years and no more than 5 million per.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:23 PM
WarriorofTime

Some team's going to really regret signing this guy.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
The Avs desperately need a puck mover that can log some minutes with EJ. I think Carle is a great fit for Colorado. I just hope it's for less than 5 years and no more than 5 million per.
Which probably won't happen on the open market.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
lakai17

Will he get Wideman money? Some GM is going to give him Wideman money, makes me wonder who will overpay Garrison.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
EJ would be a perfect partner for Carle.

Colorado is one of the only teams that I see Carle actually fitting nicely into.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
The Avs desperately need a puck mover that can log some minutes with EJ. I think Carle is a great fit for Colorado. I just hope it's for less than 5 years and no more than 5 million.
As others have suggested, if Carle was willing to sign on those terms, think he would have stayed in Philadelphia.

Depending on the report, the last offer to Carle was something around 4.6 or 4.75 on a decent term. I'd be surprised if he comes in lower than Wideman on the open market--he's a better all around player by a significant margin.

I agree he'd seem a decent fit with Johnson, though. Guy's a horse--he logs big minutes, and never gets hurt. He's better as a support player, but he's hardly a liability as a defensive partner.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Captain Saku

6 mil for Carle is a crime.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Feaster is such a freaking idiot. 5-6 d-men will get 5+ million now in free agency.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote