HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CGY Acquires Dennis Wideman, signs for 5 years @5.2 mill per year (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
CGY Acquires Dennis Wideman, signs for 5 years @5.2 mill per year (Part II)

Continue here.

06-28-2012, 06:08 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

*ahem*

did anybody say that yet?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

edit for clarity: bad signing...

Old
06-28-2012, 06:10 PM
ponder

From the previous thread, on which contracts are worse than Wideman's:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Yeah, they are... When Wideman's contract finishes, Erhoff will still have 4 years left on his. Ohlund is a shell of his former self, is six years older and and makes even more per year than Wideman does.
Ohlund has a cap hit of $3.6 mil, much lower than Wideman's $5.25 mil, not sure why you think he makes more than Wideman. He is also signed for 4 more years vs. 5 more for Wideman, and his last 2 years are at $2 mil and $1 mil. Still a very bad contract for a fairly washed up dman.

Ehrhoff will have 4 years left on his deal when Wideman's expires, that is true, but his cap hit is lower throughout the contract ($4 mil for Ehrhoff vs. $5.25 mil for Wideman), he's a much better player, and those 4 years are at the end are at real money of $3 mil, $1 mil, $1 mil and $1 mil. He has a limited/modified NTC/NMC, I'm sure the Sabres structured the deal that way (front loaded, makes peanuts at the end) so that he can be traded to a cap floor team if necessary. Wideman's contract is actually BACKLOADED, he makes the most real money at the END of the deal, which makes him extra untradeable. If he truly does have a full NMC, as some have reported, then he'll be virtually impossible to get rid of (unlike these other dmen on frontloaded contracts with limited NTCs, who should be easy to move in the last few years of their deal when they make little real money).

Old
06-28-2012, 06:21 PM
TylerSVT*

The Flames are one of the worst run teams in the entire league. Our GM and management are so out of touch with what we really need its sickening. They are getting really hard to cheer for.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
TOML

"Jesus H Christ they gave Wideman $600k less than the playoff mvp!"

I dunno. I'd always be wary of signing guys who have been let go of over and over again to expensive long term deals. At least Cgy gets the offensive guy J-Bo was supposed to be.

TOML

Old
06-28-2012, 07:58 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
I heard his No-Movement Clause has less to do with trades and more to do with his playstyle

Old
06-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Rangerboy030

Do you think Feaster would have any interest in Wade Redden?

Old
06-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

This is not a good move by the Flames, but i dont think its as earth shatteringly bad as most are making it out to be. Wideman may have been able to get even more had he made it to July 1st unsigned. Under a cap of $$70.2M (yes, i realize that there is a very strong possibility the cap will go back down, but the league told teamss to operate undder that #, so i will criticize signings under that number), ~$5M per for a right handedd second pairing dman is about right. The market value is right. It just so happens the Flames are the ones who signed him, so market value mans nothing. Only bashing the organization is what matters.

That said, i dont see why the flames made this move, unless they are planning to move Bouwmeester.

06-28-2012, 08:24 PM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
The Flames are one of the worst run teams in the entire league. Our GM and management are so out of touch with what we really need its sickening. They are getting really hard to cheer for.
So a right handed shooting powerplay quarterback is not what we need? Did you pay ANY attention to our PP last season?

As I said in the previous thread, if you don't like what the Flames are doing, feel free to cheer for another team.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
IranCondraAffair

Firstly, the money isn't out of line with what others are going to get in the Free Agent market. On July 1st, 2012, you will see many similar "overpayments". The salary cap has gone up, and teams are having to pay more and more for mediocre players, there's nothing extraordinary about it. Wideman was going to get paid by someone, might as well be the Flames.

Secondly, I think that by adding a guy like Wideman for very little, and getting rid of Bouwmeester for a sizeable return, could be a good asset management strategy for a team like Calgary. Calgary needs to rebuild but doesn't have the assets or resources to do so quickly. Adding Free Agents to help a team fill gaps while it starts to draft players should be applauded, IMO. Key pieces should be kept and those Free Agents that don't "Gel" can be moved.

The Flames are in a tough spot. They can't add good players without overpaying or giving up assets and they can't trade guys like Iginla and Kipprusoff without upsetting the fans. They've basically painted themselves into a corner and they will need to be good at adding assets (players) to get them out of it.

The NMC clauses are stupid, but, at some point, you have to take risks to improve your team. Could it bite them? Yes. Do they have a choice? Not yet.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
VanNucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
They're getting hard to hate too. Igilna is one of the classiest guys in the game, and they pose no real threat to the Nucks. I like the city of Calgary as a whole, so I really don't have many reasons left to dislike the Flames so much. Even Jokinen, who I used to hate for being so overrated on Phx, has arguably became underrated like he was on Florida early in his career...

Horrible signing, by the way. At least you guys got a shiver of light in the form of Sven Bartschi...dudes gonna be great.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Devonator

IranCondra, Calgary is not going to get a sizeable return for Jay bo ...not even close with that awful contract....and his less then stellar play....I say they will hold onto to him....

Old
06-28-2012, 09:50 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Stanley Cup is coming back to Canada with this signing.....

Old
06-28-2012, 09:51 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNucks View Post
They're getting hard to hate too. Igilna is one of the classiest guys in the game, and they pose no real threat to the Nucks. I like the city of Calgary as a whole, so I really don't have many reasons left to dislike the Flames so much. Even Jokinen, who I used to hate for being so overrated on Phx, has arguably became underrated like he was on Florida early in his career...

Horrible signing, by the way. At least you guys got a shiver of light in the form of Sven Bartschi...dudes gonna be great.
It isn't that bad 7 to 7.5% of the cap is about the average of UFA offensive defenseman and when you consider he was the only RH top 4 pp QB available we had no real leverage.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Dollars would have been fine if the term was shorter, term would have been fine if the dollars were less.

However he fulfills a huge need as a top 4, RH, PP QB defenseman.

The dollars wont seem as obscene once FA starts and I think a pairing of him and Bouwmeester could be very successful in the flames new "high tempo" offense under Hartley.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Corsi Close

I just saw he has a full NMC.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:07 AM
MisterD

Wideman has put up good numbers in his career, but he's also been able to play with pretty strong teams. Will be interesting to see how he does in Calgary.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
This is not a good move by the Flames, but i dont think its as earth shatteringly bad as most are making it out to be. Wideman may have been able to get even more had he made it to July 1st unsigned. Under a cap of $$70.2M (yes, i realize that there is a very strong possibility the cap will go back down, but the league told teamss to operate undder that #, so i will criticize signings under that number), ~$5M per for a right handedd second pairing dman is about right. The market value is right. It just so happens the Flames are the ones who signed him, so market value mans nothing. Only bashing the organization is what matters.

That said, i dont see why the flames made this move, unless they are planning to move Bouwmeester.
Thank you. Have been trying to drill this point through over the past thread.

As for why they signed him - to take the offensive pressure off Griordano, and to imrpove puck movement from the backend in general. They don't have anyone who's particularly good at it. Giordano is pretty good offensively, but he's more of a defensive D.

It's pretty clear the Flames don't want to rebuild. Might as well sign players you think will help you get into the playoffs.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

A little homage to Dennis Wideman from Boston Sports radio a couple years back.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:23 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Wi eman is a PPQB in the same way that Rex Grossman is a QB. He's decent enough to put up some numbers until the film accumulates, and is essentially completely immobile, but thinks he's fast.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Wi eman is a PPQB in the same way that Rex Grossman is a QB. He's decent enough to put up some numbers until the film accumulates, and is essentially completely immobile, but thinks he's fast.
So being one of the consistently highest scoring defenseman on the pp on 3 different teams in 5 years is all a fluke?

Old
06-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Feel The Heat
Flames in 6

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Thank you. Have been trying to drill this point through over the past thread.

As for why they signed him - to take the offensive pressure off Griordano, and to imrpove puck movement from the backend in general. They don't have anyone who's particularly good at it. Giordano is pretty good offensively, but he's more of a defensive D.

It's pretty clear the Flames don't want to rebuild. Might as well sign players you think will help you get into the playoffs.
At what point does it take to get through the thick skulls of HF boards that you do not need to blow up a team to rebuild . You can gradually add youth while remaining competitive.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:43 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
So being one of the consistently highest scoring defenseman on the pp on 3 different teams in 5 years is all a fluke?
Is that what I said? Please bold the part of my post where I said anything even remotely resembling that.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:59 AM
MisterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
At what point does it take to get through the thick skulls of HF boards that you do not need to blow up a team to rebuild . You can gradually add youth while remaining competitive.
There's re-building and re-tooling, Flames are trying to re-tool.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

Never time to rebuild

Closed Thread