HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2012, 10:40 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
Lol Luongo? No way man... 2 years from now.??? Hes already in decline as it is... Or the Canucks would be keeping him.

I'll eat my shorts if Luongo is the clear cut best option for Canada in Sochi. Personally, i doubt there will be a better Canadian goaltender than Carey Price.

Luongo will be a backup... If he even makes the team... I seriously don't understand how he is our best option at this point (right now) Maybe 2 years ago he was the best option.. Not now.

Both Fleury and Price are ahead... And if someone seriously thinks Fleury is too big of a risk, because of that ridiculous first round series this year...

I'll remind you of the multiple playoff games Luongo started where the Canucks had 7 or 8 goals against......

Luongo should not be Canada's starter. Price or Fleury.
If Luongo isn't on the team, I'll be the first one to celebrate. I hope price is ready. You're joking if you think Fleury is a great option. It's not just his most recent playoff performance. He's just not that good...and his #s do nothing to back up the hype he's gotten.

I just hope our O can score so many goals we don't have to worry about goaltending.

re: Smith - i really doubt he's good enough for a starting role.

Old
06-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Mr Writer

S. Stamkos J. Towes C. Giroux
S Weber D Doughty

J Neal S. Crosby R Nash (28)
A Pietrangelo K Letang

E. Staal J. Tavares J. Eberle
D. Keith B. Seabrook

P. Sharp P Bergeron T Seguin

C Price (Starter)

Not sure about the 7th d-man.
and I have my fingers crossed for Price. Although I do not have a great deal of confidence in any of our goaltenders at the moment.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:50 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
S. Stamkos J. Towes C. Giroux
S Weber D Doughty

J Neal S. Crosby R Nash (28)
A Pietrangelo K Letang

E. Staal J. Tavares J. Eberle
D. Keith B. Seabrook

P. Sharp P Bergeron T Seguin

C Price (Starter)

Not sure about the 7th d-man.
and I have my fingers crossed for Price. Although I do not have a great deal of confidence in any of our goaltenders at the moment.
Staal probably. There's del zotto but that's a reach. maybe subban? again a reach.

our goaltender situation is a disaster...i just hope price is ready. i would let luongo back before i let fleury in. and, no...mike smith is not an appropriate solution. i don't care how the yotes did this year. if he's there were have problems the us is stacked when it comes to goalies - but has much less convincing offense. i guess we'll have to wait to see how the teams shape up...but, yeah, out goaltending situation is scary.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Staal probably. There's del zotto but that's a reach. maybe subban? again a reach.

our goaltender situation is a disaster...i just hope price is ready. i would let luongo back before i let fleury in. and, no...mike smith is not an appropriate solution. i don't care how the yotes did this year. if he's there were have problems the us is stacked when it comes to goalies - but has much less convincing offense. i guess we'll have to wait to see how the teams shape up...but, yeah, out goaltending situation is scary.

Ya, I agree with you, if Price is not the guy, and if Lu is still floating near the top 10 in the league, then you got to go with Lu. (although I'll be having heart palpitations with every shot on to the Canadian goal with Lu in net) No confidence in Fleury either. Lets just hope the offense can score 5 or 6 every game and the D-corp plays solid. Obviously the 7 guys we can bring on D, there isn't a country that can match that. And I think our forward group is better than the 2010 team. lots of shooters.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:18 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Ya, I agree with you, if Price is not the guy, and if Lu is still floating near the top 10 in the league, then you got to go with Lu. (although I'll be having heart palpitations with every shot on to the Canadian goal with Lu in net) No confidence in Fleury either. Lets just hope the offense can score 5 or 6 every game and the D-corp plays solid. Obviously the 7 guys we can bring on D, there isn't a country that can match that. And I think our forward group is better than the 2010 team. lots of shooters.
One thing i question is the ability of our heavy hitting forwards to create line chemistry with each other. it's nice to imagine Crosby, Toews, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Perry, etc all on one team and then add some combination of Benn, Nuge, Eberle, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Richards, Getzlaf, Kane, and so on. But I do cringe a bit imagining them forming lines where they can play together harmoniously.

...but yeah...the goalie situation may end up being our waterloo

Old
06-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
One thing i question is the ability of our heavy hitting forwards to create line chemistry with each other. it's nice to imagine Crosby, Toews, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Perry, etc all on one team and then add some combination of Benn, Nuge, Eberle, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Richards, Getzlaf, Kane, and so on. But I do cringe a bit imagining them forming lines where they can play together harmoniously.

...but yeah...the goalie situation may end up being our waterloo
As long as Hockey Canada and Stevie Y do not repeat the Gretzky mistakes of 2006 we should be fine. No legacy picks! Just because they were there in 2010 does not make them automatic for 2014. And I'm talking specifically about Getzlaf, Iginla and Perry! Out of the 3 Perry is the only one I would seriously consider at the moment, but should his production slip I'd cut him as his skating is an issue...and as we already have a few players who are not the best skaters, Tavaras is not a great skater! Giroux is not considered a speedster. Eberle is not really quick on the blades and so on... Getzlaf I'm sorry he's off the team as of today, poor production this past season, didn't play exceptionally well at the WC aside from one game maybe. I'm expecting to see 10-11 new faces on the Olympic team...and with a little bit more prep time, then I hope it answers some of those "chemistry issues"

Old
06-22-2012, 10:29 PM
dan1el

Stamkos-Crosby (C)-Giroux
Nash-Toews (A)-Perry (A)
Neal-Tavares-E. Staal
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Benn/Seguin/Spezza are all good candidates as it looks now.

Doughty-Weber (A)
Letang-Keith
Pietrangelo-M. Staal

Seabrook/Myers/Subban could all be there. Even Ryan Murray maybe.

Loungo
Price
Fleury

Goalies worry me, but everywhere else we are easily the best IMO. I say we beat Sweden in the final.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
As long as Hockey Canada and Stevie Y do not repeat the Gretzky mistakes of 2006 we should be fine. No legacy picks! Just because they were there in 2010 does not make them automatic for 2014. And I'm talking specifically about Getzlaf, Iginla and Perry! Out of the 3 Perry is the only one I would seriously consider at the moment, but should his production slip I'd cut him as his skating is an issue...and as we already have a few players who are not the best skaters, Tavaras is not a great skater! Giroux is not considered a speedster. Eberle is not really quick on the blades and so on... Getzlaf I'm sorry he's off the team as of today, poor production this past season, didn't play exceptionally well at the WC aside from one game maybe. I'm expecting to see 10-11 new faces on the Olympic team...and with a little bit more prep time, then I hope it answers some of those "chemistry issues"
I think (hope!?) Yzerman is too sophisticated to replicate Greztky's ill-advised attempt to bring back a "dream team". I agree that we need to stay away from legacy picks...i.e. none of this "he's earned the right to be on the team" (b/c of who he is, not how he plays) nonsense.

I don't think the team will require an "older" presence...there are young-ish guys who were there last time and have obvious leadership skills (i.e. Toews, Crosby, Weber, Keith). It's not like we're going to have a bunch of naive youngsters off in the olympic village getting drunk for the first time.

I agree that we also have to be careful not to start piling on players who great in the NHL but have weak skating. Tavares (and yeah, I know he's a lot better) and Eberle are as weak as we can afford.

If Getzlaf stays home, I will not shed a tear.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I think (hope!?) Yzerman is too sophisticated to replicate Greztky's ill-advised attempt to bring back a "dream team". I agree that we need to stay away from legacy picks...i.e. none of this "he's earned the right to be on the team" (b/c of who he is, not how he plays) nonsense.

I don't think the team will require an "older" presence...there are young-ish guys who were there last time and have obvious leadership skills (i.e. Toews, Crosby, Weber, Keith). It's not like we're going to have a bunch of naive youngsters off in the olympic village getting drunk for the first time.

I agree that we also have to be careful not to start piling on players who great in the NHL but have weak skating. Tavares (and yeah, I know he's a lot better) and Eberle are as weak as we can afford.

Well, I think you and I are pretty much in agreement on the Olympic Team and what Stevie Y has to do. I have no doubts he'll make the right decisions. Turino was a one off with Gretzky's miscalculations, coming out of the lockout, poor prep-time and they went with the team that won the World Cup (pretty much) in 04. Success often makes one prone to mistakes. Now, if we can only get back to producing goaltenders, great goaltenders in numbers then I'll be happy. This Subban kid looks promising for only playing the position 6 years.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

Oh an now that Jordan has joined older brother Eric, this may bode well for the Olympic team, provided they play a lot together in Carolina, and put up some good numbers, then I'd say Jordan has a shot of playing in Sochi. But he's another one who's skating concerns me a little. How do you see his skating?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
afrobomber11

Quote:
Oh an now that Jordan has joined older brother Eric, this may bode well for the Olympic team, provided they play a lot together in Carolina, and put up some good numbers, then I'd say Jordan has a shot of playing in Sochi. But he's another one who's skating concerns me a little. How do you see his skating?
i think the skating issues mentioned earlier are misleading, guy like tavares whos always ragged on as a poor skater, has the intelligence to beat it, not to mention we have seen him wheel past guys recently and his skating has been worked on

you can say the same about eberle, every team is gunna have a weak skater or two but i mean god look at two of our 'locks' keith and crosby, both rediculously good skaters in different ways

Old
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Mehar

Quote:
I think his skating is decent enough for him to be considered as a 4th line player. I have others ahead of him, but if he has a great next season, and has a very good few months of the 2013-14 season, he would be in the discussion. I want Canada to have guys that can skate like the wind, and that is why I have guys like Kane and Skinner as guys that should be given a look for Sochi.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
therealdeal

Anyone who worries about Tavares skating has not watched him in the last 3 WHC. He's a lock to this team.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Anyone who worries about Tavares skating has not watched him in the last 3 WHC. He's a lock to this team.
I also have Tavaras making the team as a 3rd line center and 2nd PP unit and he's on a line with E. Staal and Ebbs. I think Tavaras can be the set up guy, Ebbs can work his magic and Staal can be the wheels. My point was more like I want Getzlaf off the team and lets consider guys like Perry possibly not being there as Giroux (lock) is not the greatest skater, Ebbs (Lock) is not the greatest, Tavaras (Lock) is not the greatest skater, granted he is improving...when those last three who I consider to be locks and are not speedsters, then you got to find others to cut. That was the point I was making. And I have watched the last 3 WHC. How did Canada fair in those tournys? Not too well! Granted, Tavaras and his skating are not to blame, Hockey Canada and their idiot decisions they make is to blame.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
I also have Tavaras making the team as a 3rd line center and 2nd PP unit and he's on a line with E. Staal and Ebbs. I think Tavaras can be the set up guy, Ebbs can work his magic and Staal can be the wheels. My point was more like I want Getzlaf off the team and lets consider guys like Perry possibly not being there as Giroux (lock) is not the greatest skater, Ebbs (Lock) is not the greatest, Tavaras (Lock) is not the greatest skater, granted he is improving...when those last three who I consider to be locks and are not speedsters, then you got to find others to cut. That was the point I was making. And I have watched the last 3 WHC. How did Canada fair in those tournys? Not too well! Granted, Tavaras and his skating are not to blame, Hockey Canada and their idiot decisions they make is to blame.
Well, I think 2010 shouldn't be weighed too heavily, obviously our team was terrible for a number of reasons. Really we just caught some bad luck in those tourneys, I don't think anything was wrong with either team. Just lost a game.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Mehar

Quote:
Tavares is on my team and so is Perry. People are forgetting that he was the league leader in goals just last year. He might have had a down year, but in the 2010 Olympics, he played great with Getzlaf. Perry scored a critical goal in the gold medal game, and was a very good player for Canada throughout the 2010 tournament. Getzlaf is a question mark for me, even though I have him on my team. I thank him for that dumb penalty in the WHC against Slovakia, since it put Canada in the easiest of the three pools for Sochi. Canada's only tough test is Finland, which they should beat. They should win that pool, get the 8th seed for the quarterfinal, and get an easier matchup for the semis (4/5 team), before playing their toughest test in the gold medal. Getzlaf was a patriot for taking that penalty in that meaningless tournament called the WHC, because it put us in a great position to capture the gold. Thanks Getzlaf!

Old
06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Tavares is on my team and so is Perry. People are forgetting that he was the league leader in goals just last year. He might have had a down year, but in the 2010 Olympics, he played great with Getzlaf. Perry scored a critical goal in the gold medal game, and was a very good player for Canada throughout the 2010 tournament. Getzlaf is a question mark for me, even though I have him on my team. I thank him for that dumb penalty in the WHC against Slovakia, since it put Canada in the easiest of the three pools for Sochi. Canada's only tough test is Finland, which they should beat. They should win that pool, get the 8th seed for the quarterfinal, and get an easier matchup for the semis (4/5 team), before playing their toughest test in the gold medal. Getzlaf was a patriot for taking that penalty in that meaningless tournament called the WHC, because it put us in a great position to capture the gold. Thanks Getzlaf!
Ha LOL. Interesting take on it.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:17 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I really don't see any chance that Tavares misses the team...and I think Eberle is pretty certain to be there, too.

My comment about neither been the best skater wasn't b/c I don't think they'll be there...it was more that we need to avoid a team where no one is great at skating. Giroux is another whose skating isn't the best...and I think he's a lock for the team.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:30 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Hey is anyone from here actually going to Sochi for the Olympics? It'd be wicked if a bunch of people meet up there because i'm sure there'll be plenty and plenty of Canadians going!

Old
06-28-2012, 10:02 PM
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.

vCash: 50
Anyone think St. Louis will be on the team?

Old
06-28-2012, 11:14 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Hopefully not. If he made the team he'd be 38 years old. There's nothing he could bring to the team (skills-wise or leadership-wise) that wouldn't be covered off by younger and better players.

The team does NOT require older leadership - Crosby, Toews, Weber (at a minimum) are guaranteed to be return customers w/ leadership quality. Keith, Seabrook will also probably be there, too.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:17 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
I think he's still capable of it frankly. I'm of the opinion that he was the biggest snub of the 2010 team. The fact that Jeff Carter, who frankly is super over rated and has never once in his life been as good as MSL was there was an insult to St. Louis.

He's still capable of being Canada's best winger.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:29 PM
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hopefully not. If he made the team he'd be 38 years old. There's nothing he could bring to the team (skills-wise or leadership-wise) that wouldn't be covered off by younger and better players.

The team does NOT require older leadership - Crosby, Toews, Weber (at a minimum) are guaranteed to be return customers w/ leadership quality. Keith, Seabrook will also probably be there, too.
Like who? At this point, he is the best canadian winger we have. I hope Yzerman doesnt make the same mistake twice and leave him off.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:44 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
You should be talking about Luongo.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Hey is anyone from here actually going to Sochi for the Olympics? It'd be wicked if a bunch of people meet up there because i'm sure there'll be plenty and plenty of Canadians going!
I was hoping to, but I think it will be far too expensve.

Closed Thread