HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Star Winger most likely acquired

View Poll Results: Which star winger will the Sharks most likely get?
Semin 8 7.55%
Parise 3 2.83%
Nash 9 8.49%
Whitney 8 7.55%
Doan 21 19.81%
Ryan 2 1.89%
Kovalchuck 0 0%
Someone out of the blue 15 14.15%
None of these 40 37.74%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2012, 06:34 PM
  #51
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,888
vCash: 500
as an Ott fan, I want him here ... NOW

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:02 PM
  #52
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
C'mon man, Perry's gotta be in the mix of hatred there

I'm not so sure if I'd enjoy Ott on the team or not. I get the feeling that his antics wouldn't work out as well on our team as it does for Dallas.
Plus our PK sucks. Not a good idea to sign up for another 100+ PIMs.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:20 PM
  #53
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor
 
KpopandHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 8,851
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Plus our PK sucks. Not a good idea to sign up for another 100+ PIMs.
Maybe it would give incentive to work on our PK strategy instead of running with the philosophy of: "If you don't take penalties you don't have to PK so we don't have to practice it."

Also, Ott is 5th in the league at faceoffs.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:11 PM
  #54
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Maybe it would give incentive to work on our PK strategy instead of running with the philosophy of: "If you don't take penalties you don't have to PK so we don't have to practice it."

Also, Ott is 5th in the league at faceoffs.
They were supposed to work on PK this past year and we know where that went. What makes you think that they will be successful this time?

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
  #55
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular combo
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
They were supposed to work on PK this past year and we know where that went. What makes you think that they will be successful this time?
To be fair, Doug Wilson actually called out their passive system this year and said he'd prefer an aggressive one.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:10 PM
  #56
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
To be fair, Doug Wilson actually called out their passive system this year and said he'd prefer an aggressive one.
To be fair, Doug Wilson called out the coaching staff for playing Niemi too much and Nemo played even more games the following year.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
  #57
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular combo
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
To be fair, Doug Wilson called out the coaching staff for playing Niemi too much and Nemo played even more games the following year.
Did he really? I thought it was more along the lines of "we played Niemi more than we would have liked, but had to because of our position in the standings". That excuse works for both seasons.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:04 PM
  #58
RussianShark
Cheech
 
RussianShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
Kovalchuk would be awesome if we could afford him, have no idea where those rumors came from. Lou is pretty secretive.

Realistically I wouldn't mind Hudler/Ponikarovsky/Wellwood/Blake.

Semin could be an interesting project if we put him with some more defensive forwards (Thornton, Pavs). But I doubt he wants to sign here.

RussianShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:09 PM
  #59
RussianShark
Cheech
 
RussianShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
Do we have enough draft picks to get a RFA? Voracek, Oshie, Perron, or Subban sound awesome.

We already have a tainted relationship with St. Louis after plucking Wellwood off waivers from them, why not try to take one of their young stars

RussianShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:34 PM
  #60
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
They were supposed to work on PK this past year and we know where that went. What makes you think that they will be successful this time?
McLellan has said he will take ownership of it. That seems like a change. Although the lack of viable pk options will need to be addressed

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
  #61
sharkbite3
blood in the water
 
sharkbite3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post
Do we have enough draft picks to get a RFA? Voracek, Oshie, Perron, or Subban sound awesome.

We already have a tainted relationship with St. Louis after plucking Wellwood off waivers from them, why not try to take one of their young stars
It'd be sweet if DW gave them the Chicago treatment.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
  #62
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
McLellan has said he will take ownership of it. That seems like a change. Although the lack of viable pk options will need to be addressed
Even if he wasn't directly responsible, I don't think TM really has any idea. If he did, he wouldn't have continued the way that he did. They kept rotating personnel rather than addressing the core system.

I agree on personnel. They have 3/4 of a top PK unit, Marleau, Pavs and Vlasic. Havlat is good for second unit as are Burns and Boyle. JT should be nowhere above 3rd unit. I am not counting on Winnik's return otherwise I would have him in the top 2 units. TM has to get the idea through his thick skull that he can't hide slowsters on the PK. One of the big keys is hopping on loose pucks and clearing them and slow doesn't it cut it for that task.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:24 PM
  #63
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 33,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Even if he wasn't directly responsible, I don't think TM really has any idea. If he did, he wouldn't have continued the way that he did. They kept rotating personnel rather than addressing the core system.

I agree on personnel. They have 3/4 of a top PK unit, Marleau, Pavs and Vlasic. Havlat is good for second unit as are Burns and Boyle. JT should be nowhere above 3rd unit. I am not counting on Winnik's return otherwise I would have him in the top 2 units. TM has to get the idea through his thick skull that he can't hide slowsters on the PK. One of the big keys is hopping on loose pucks and clearing them and slow doesn't it cut it for that task.
Whatever adjustments that they have in mind, they can run whatever personnel out there that they want for it. But if after two months it's still not working, they need to pull their top guys off of it and run their depth players on the PK. If you're going to run a sub-80% penalty kill, you can do it with Desi, Galiardi, Wingels, and whoever you're going to bring in on the lower lines and you can run with anyone on the blue line except for Boyle. There's just no point in using your top dogs for a failed situation when they can get the rest and be used in offensive situations to get the goal you gave up back.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
  #64
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post
Kovalchuk would be awesome if we could afford him, have no idea where those rumors came from. Lou is pretty secretive.

Realistically I wouldn't mind Hudler/Ponikarovsky/Wellwood/Blake.

Semin could be an interesting project if we put him with some more defensive forwards (Thornton, Pavs). But I doubt he wants to sign here.
There is absolutely no chance Kovalchuk is available coming off last season's run, especially considering they're going to lose Parise.

And you know how it is with Russians here...

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:51 PM
  #65
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins
 
Fatturdmanshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Mexico
Country: United States
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Huselius has always been pretty intriguing

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:00 AM
  #66
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular combo
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 12,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Even if he wasn't directly responsible, I don't think TM really has any idea.
DW asking for an aggressive system at least gives me a little hope.

On the responsibility part, if I recall correctly, no one person was really in charge of the PK last season. Going into the season, McLellan said the PK would be a group effort and all 3 of them were responsible for it. It makes me sad that after that, none of the 3 are getting fired this off-season.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:46 AM
  #67
Hab Shark
Better call Saul
 
Hab Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Island of Alameda
Country: United States
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Doan and Penner. Make this a big team again.

Hab Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:24 AM
  #68
Vertzedyek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kuusamo
Country: Finland
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab Shark View Post
Doan and Penner. Make this a big team again.
Yes.. Big and slow(er).

Vertzedyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:14 PM
  #69
sub_zero94
Registered User
 
sub_zero94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Even if he wasn't directly responsible, I don't think TM really has any idea. If he did, he wouldn't have continued the way that he did. They kept rotating personnel rather than addressing the core system.

I agree on personnel. They have 3/4 of a top PK unit, Marleau, Pavs and Vlasic. Havlat is good for second unit as are Burns and Boyle. JT should be nowhere above 3rd unit. I am not counting on Winnik's return otherwise I would have him in the top 2 units. TM has to get the idea through his thick skull that he can't hide slowsters on the PK. One of the big keys is hopping on loose pucks and clearing them and slow doesn't it cut it for that task.
how is Murray , by the numbers , as far as the PK.. he seems to block everything , he's smart and seems to find anyway possible to get the most needed clears

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:25 PM
  #70
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,640
vCash: 500
Too bad Mike Grier is retired. Dude was a PK stud. He couldnt score, but he knew how to shut em down.

Maybe DW should hire him as an assistant coach

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:35 PM
  #71
Paperposts31
Registered User
 
Paperposts31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
DW asking for an aggressive system at least gives me a little hope.

On the responsibility part, if I recall correctly, no one person was really in charge of the PK last season. Going into the season, McLellan said the PK would be a group effort and all 3 of them were responsible for it. It makes me sad that after that, none of the 3 are getting fired this off-season.
Until we get a new coaching staff, our dump and chase, cycle on the board play will continue. It is also influenced by JT so we will never get away from it. If we weren't so damn slow, we would get a faster system. Which is why I really hope to get Semin, but Detroit pretty much has him IMO.
Realistically I could only see us landing Doan or Whitney. And I would like Whitney more because he will cost less but could have the same offensive upside.

Paperposts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:45 PM
  #72
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 19,377
vCash: 500
None.

And Doan has never been a star.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:57 AM
  #73
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
how is Murray , by the numbers , as far as the PK.. he seems to block everything , he's smart and seems to find anyway possible to get the most needed clears
He does OK, not great despite his lack of speed. Boyle should absolutely be removed from PK.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...2+53+54+55+56#

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:22 AM
  #74
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
He does OK, not great despite his lack of speed. Boyle should absolutely be removed from PK.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...2+53+54+55+56#
Yes. If Stuart does anything he accomplishes this

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:33 AM
  #75
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow
 
JayP812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 5,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
None.

And Doan has never been a star.
QFT. Doan is the most overrated player in the NHL.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.