HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sami Salo

Old
06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
The Pucks

vCash: 500
Sami Salo

may have agreed to a 1 year deal but the Canucks wont announce it till after the Schultz sweepstakes are over.

Last edited by The Pucks: 06-28-2012 at 09:43 PM.
The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:10 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
agreed to a 1 year deal but the Canucks wont announce it till after the Schultz sweepstakes are over.
Will be interesting to see what the monetary value is....will Schultz play with Edler and Salo with Tanev or the other way around?

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:12 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Makes sense, if they want him back he's probably fine with a short term deal (35+), and announcing it pre-schultz might hinder their schultz chase.

Not much market out there for an injury prone 37yo dman anyways.

Last edited by danishh: 06-28-2012 at 09:46 PM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:47 PM
hoodstar

Would be great as a 7th. Knowing Salo he's going to be injured frequently so it's a great way to rest him to prevent tweaks. Fantastic enough to be in the top 4 but not durable enough to play all season. Plus he can mentor Tanev, Edler, and Schultz if the Canucks get him.

hoodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:49 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
Will be interesting to see what the monetary value is....will Schultz play with Edler and Salo with Tanev or the other way around?
I am hearing **** million, but I think they are looking at him as a 40-50 game guy with around 18 minutes per, not a set fixture in the lineup.

is that better?

Last edited by The Pucks: 06-28-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
I am hearing 1.25 million, but I think they are looking at him as a 40-50 game guy with around 18 minutes per, not a set fixture in the lineup.
source? Gillis just said they are still negotiating not too long ago

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:53 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
there is no source. This thread is speculation and has been approved by a mod (me) in that context.

now stop asking.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
ProstheticConscience
WWIII

vCash: 883
Meh. Was expecting him to retire after this season. And after last season. Still a good guy, but his best-before date looms very, very close. Be a good mentor for Schultz if we manage to get him.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
They were still negotiating with Cory not to long ago as well. As I said, I dont think we will hear an annoucement till after the Schultz sweepstakes are over.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Gillis stated that they believe Salo will be back with the Canucks today, so take it for what you may. Considering he never says anything, that's pretty substantive. Also, you can't assume Schultz will go to the Canucks. In reality we'd probably have something like:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison/Ballard-Salo

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Salo's deal probably includes a wink wink bonus -- part time scouting gig back in Finland upon retirement.

06-28-2012, 11:26 PM
ProstheticConscience
WWIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Salo's deal probably includes a wink wink bonus -- part time scouting gig back in Finland upon retirement.
Snakebite-proof pants included.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
crazyforhockey

Last year they wanted to give him a lesser amount of gms...

esp back to back gms off... probably played more than they wanted to.

if they do aquire shultz it would certainly give them the chance to play Salo in the third pairings possibly with more gms off.......ie the key is to be ready and rested for playoffs.

Shultz if it works pair with edler on the 2nd pairing

with salo/ballard/alberts/tanev/???? in the third group(again if shultz plays well enough to warrent being there)

could see alberts or Ballard avaliable for a trade if need be...imo

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:53 AM
sal00

Anything less than 2 million for 1 year (in a 70.2mil cap year) will be a solid signing for him as a depth defenseman (due to his proneness to injuries)

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:57 AM
KISSland

If we can sign him to split games with Schultz or to recall for an injury will be ****ing epic. He's clearly a top 4 defender even at this age. What luxury.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
If we can sign him to split games with Schultz or to recall for an injury will be ****ing epic. He's clearly a top 4 defender even at this age. What luxury.

I'd have to disagree. After the concussion from the Marchand low blow, Salo wasn't the same and began to physically wear down as well.

I can remember several key goals scored against the Canucks where Salo couldn't tie up his man in front (even when he had position on him).

Salo shouldn't be playing more than 15-16 mins per night next season.

He may still be able to step into the top 4 for a few games or so, but he's not IMHO a top 4 anymore.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I think Salo's slowing down quite a bit. I see him behind Tanev. If we get Schultz, I see him ahead of Tanev and as a fixture on the #1 PP (Tanev's shot couldn't break glass and Bieksa plays too many minutes).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:04 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
I'd have to disagree. After the concussion from the Marchand low blow, Salo wasn't the same and began to physically wear down as well.

I can remember several key goals scored against the Canucks where Salo couldn't tie up his man in front (even when he had position on him).

He may still be able to step into the top 4 for a few games or so, but he's not IMHO a top 4 anymore.
I could see him being a top 4 on a couple teams..

I agree he didn't look that good after the Marchand hit.

After a whole off season he'll be back to the Salo we all loved. I don't think he should be a top 4 throughout an entire season though, and he will definitely excel in a 3rd pairing role.

I still consider him a top 4 defender though.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:06 AM
lefty2time*

He's still a top 4 dman in my books.
He's slow...but he showed that with great positioning and smarts, he can still play.
He's pretty mistake free.... gotta love it.
Just pair him with someone who is pretty mobile. He could play on a teams second pairing no problem (long as he doesnt get hurt)

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Meh. Was expecting him to retire after this season. And after last season. Still a good guy, but his best-before date looms very, very close. Be a good mentor for Schultz if we manage to get him.
Completely disagree. Salo may very well retire because he feels he cannot compete at the level he used to, but he is still better than A LOT of defencemen at an NHL level. I practically guarantee you he cracks the top 6 of every lineup in the NHL right now. This is not Ohlund when he left the Canucks. He still has something to give at an NHL level. Our Canucks would be foolish not to re-sign him.

Taco Fingerhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:08 AM
StrictlyCommercial

I agree with Momesso, I think he was a very different (worse) player after the Marchand cheapshot.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

Salo is positionally the best dman on the Canucks. He makes smart reads and is always in the right place. I think Salo is definitely a top 4 and I think he will play in our top 4 next year regardless of anything else we do.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:11 AM
ProstheticConscience
WWIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Completely disagree. Salo may very well retire because he feels he cannot compete at the level he used to, but he is still better than A LOT of defencemen at an NHL level. I practically guarantee you he cracks the top 6 of every lineup in the NHL right now. This is not Ohlund when he left the Canucks. He still has something to give at an NHL level. Our Canucks would be foolish not to re-sign him.
Hrmph. He's slowing up big time. The Marchand cheapshot clearly did him no favours.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I agree with Momesso, I think he was a very different (worse) player after the Marchand cheapshot.
Agree and disagree. I think the Canucks (as a team) were different after the Boston game. We were never the same after that win for some reason.

Taco Fingerhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Wildcarder

Gillis did mention at the Summer Summit today when asked that they are still negotiating and he hopes Salo will be back on the team.

Wildcarder is offline   Reply With Quote