HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Prospect Scrimmage | Orange vs Blue | 6/28/12 | 6:30 PM ET

Old
06-28-2012, 07:40 PM
StumpNYI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Did Griff really look good or was everyone just eyeing him because he is our new shiny toy?
Griffin looked good but honestly, Mayfield was a pleasent surprise and looked very good. Maybe one of the best out there. Denver is a great school for dmen I guess. I'm impressed.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:44 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
love all this size on the back end. What a treat it would be if Reinhart, Mayfield & Pedan all work out.
I thought Mayfield looked fanatastic, what a difference a year makes, last year he looked lost, I thought he was the best overall D-man in this prospect game. Reinhart, it's so obvious that he's special. Pedan looked really good as well, as did our #2 pick Pokka. I thought our late round picks looked very solid too, was impressed with Somerby, and that Jesse Graham has some serious wheels. Loduc, impressed me somewhat too, he just needs to gain weight. Camp invtde D-man Yevenko really impressed me, I hope we sign him, big, mobile, and has some shot (get it on net man !). Kitchton and Russo were noticeable as well, in a good way.

As far as the forwards, even though the Blue team couldn't score, their defense looked good, and the forwards had tons of chances. Strome definitely looks bigger, both in height and weight, looks stronger, and I would not be shocked if he makes the team out of camp. I know I'm a big Kabanov fan, but he really did look fantastic. Had several chances, looks bigger and stronger. There was one play that excited me, because he went into the corner shoulder to shoulder with Niederreiter (who looks huge, but faster and had a good game), and it was Niederreiter who fell backwards, Kabanov kept going for the puck. I really noticed Kabanov AND Strome doggedly come back to back check in their defensive zones to come away with the puck. Brock Nelson looked really good too, his improved strength is obvious as well, and he has really good hands. Niederreiter as I said looked very good, Cizikas is a terror to play against, I thought Sundstrom looked solid in the game, Persson's shootout goal was a no doubter, I didn't even have to watch to know he'd score. Right after we drafted him (same day in fact), I Youtubed him (as the kids say), and there are several videos of his famous move when he was in Sweden.

It was nice to see the camp invites score, be interesting if they try to sign any, I'd be thrilled if they signed Yevenko. The other Russian was noticable too. Overall, very fun to watch the prospects.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:20 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

It's hard to get a read on anyone in a game/scrimmage like this, but the size along the blue line is nice to see. Mayfield was the most impressive out there. I wish we could get a time machine and fast forward him like 2-3 years because he's EXACTLY what we need right now. Big, good skater, physical, RH shot. Reinhart didn't really stand out too much, but he is really calm and composed. There was a play where Blue had a scoring chance and the forwards crashed the net, big Griff didn't panic and put a short little feed to the forward to start a rush. Reinhart and Mayfield could be a beastly pairing in like 3 years.

I noticed that Pokka is really calm too, had a nice scoring chance and showed a flash of offensive ability. Strome, Nino, Nelson, Kabanov - our prized kids - all flashed ability. It's controlled mayhem in these things so whatever. I liked Halmo and Pedan too.

Main point is that it was nice to see our kids. There's talent there, but man I love the size all over the place. I wish they were more advanced in their development because the Isles could really use them right now.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Islanderfan17

Anyone know if they'll be putting up highlights of the scrimmage? I was at work, otherwise I would have been home getting my much needed Isles hockey fix.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
why didn't they do this at NVMC? they've drawn well for these games. there's like 200 people at Iceworks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandersfan1677 View Post
section 100 is being upgraded
There's actually an even there that started this afternoon running through this weekend.

As a non-Islanders fan who was there for the game, my thoughts:

- I'll get this out of the way first so you can throw stuff at me, I wasn't all that impressed with Reinhart. Granted, he's 18 years old...but to me he was just meh. He was calm but at times it almost appeared to be tentativeness - more earlier in the game than later. He wasn't bad but I was expecting a little more. Saw him before the game though walking around and the kid is HUGE. I mean I knew he was big, but he seemed even bigger than what he's listed at.

- Along with the rest of you, I thought Mayfield looked awesome. His combination of size and skating ability is extremely impressive. He seems very poised and comfortable carrying the puck as well. He'll be a good one for you guys.

- Does anybody know if Kabanov has re-committed to a new workout plan or anything. He was extremely sharp with the puck, which I expected. What I didn't expect was his strength on the puck and his ability to hold off checkers. I thought he was one of the best players on the ice, very impressive. I also noticed before the game that he is quite tatted up, on his neck and all over his arms. Never knew that about him.

- Jesse Graham looked very smooth with the puck, kid has some wheels too. I didn't notice him in the defensive end at all (usually a good thing) but he did some good things to start rushes.

- I was impressed with Strome as well. He had difficulty finishing as he was creating chances, but I thought he was consistently around the puck when he was on the ice (always a good sign) and all in all I thought he looked good.

- I didn't think Niederreiter looked good at all. Though, it should be said that I was expecting him to pretty much have his way..being that he's a 4th overall pick, 3rd year in the camp, and spent a full season in the NHL. He showed brief flashes of what he can do physically, but all in all he just didn't do much for me.

- Cizikas is just going to be a nightmare for teams to play against, the guy has quite the motor. He didn't really grab me one way or the other, but his pesky all-out play is pretty much always on display.

- Speaking of motors, I was strangely impressed with Jason Clark. I had never heard of this kid before tonight but he impressed me with his work ethic and non-stop motor...his legs never stopped moving all night. Offense seems limited but he was a force on the forecheck.

- Nelson was very meh for me. Had one very nice move off the rush but that was the only time I really noticed him, good or bad.

- Blair Riley showed some nice flashes in the offensive zone. Didn't finish any of them though.

- Kevin Boyle was the only goalie I got a good look at and he was very, very good. He took the shootout too and stopped all 5 shots. He also stopped a Strome Penalty Shot when Mayfield took down McGuire.

Last edited by Buffalo87: 06-28-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
There's actually an even there that started this afternoon running through this weekend.

As a non-Islanders fan who was there for the game, my thoughts:

- I'll get this out of the way first so you can throw stuff at me, I wasn't all that impressed with Reinhart. Granted, he's 18 years old...but to me he was just meh. He was calm but at times it almost appeared to be tentativeness - more earlier in the game than later. He wasn't bad but I was expecting a little more. Saw him before the game though walking around and the kid is HUGE. I mean I knew he was big, but he seemed even bigger than what he's listed at.

- Along with the rest of you, I thought Mayfield looked awesome. His combination of size and skating ability is extremely impressive. He seems very poised and comfortable carrying the puck as well. He'll be a good one for you guys.

- Does anybody know if Kabanov has re-committed to a new workout plan or anything. He was extremely sharp with the puck, which I expected. What I didn't expect was his strength on the puck and his ability to hold off checkers. I thought he was one of the best players on the ice, very impressive. I also noticed before the game that he is quite tatted up, on his neck and all over his arms. Never knew that about him.

- Jesse Graham looked very smooth with the puck, kid has some wheels too. I didn't notice him in the defensive end at all (usually a good thing) but he did some good things to start rushes.

- I was impressed with Strome as well. He had difficulty finishing as he was creating chances, but I thought he was consistently around the puck when he was on the ice (always a good sign) and all in all I thought he looked good.

- I didn't think Niederreiter looked good at all. Though, it should be said that I was expecting him to pretty much have his way..being that he's a 4th overall pick, 2nd year in the camp, and spent a full season in the NHL. He showed brief flashes of what he can do physically, but all in all he just didn't do much for me.

- Cizikas is just going to be a nightmare for teams to play against, the guy has quite the motor. He didn't really grab me one way or the other, but his pesky all-out play is pretty much always on display.

- Speaking of motors, I was strangely impressed with Jason Clark. I had never heard of this kid before tonight but he impressed me with his work ethic and non-stop motor...his legs never stopped moving all night. Offense seems limited but he was a force on the forecheck.

- Nelson was very meh for me. Had one very nice move off the rush but that was the only time I really noticed him, good or bad.

- Blair Riley showed some nice flashes in the offensive zone. Didn't finish any of them though.

- Kevin Boyle was the only goalie I got a good look at and he was very, very good. He took the shootout too and stopped all 5 shots. He also stopped a Strome Penalty Shot when Mayfield took down McGuire.
Fair assessment but in the end it was just a loose scrimmage and some players took it more seriously than others. Can't take too much away from this game but it is good to see some of the guys I rarely get to see. Especially Reinhart. He stood out because I was looking for him but overall he was solid. Nothing more, nothing less.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:24 AM
IslandersFan17

I understand the bar being set high for Nino. However, those 60 or so games in the NHL last year were not all of the best learning experience Yes, the exposure to certain things should have helped Nino but it is safe to say his progress was stinted. NOT RUINED, by any stretch but just set back a little. The kid is a POWER FORWARD who needs time to full grow into his frame and learn how to utilize his size more effectively. The skating needs to improve as well, but with maturity and filling out of the frame will allow Nino to be a stronger skater. The lower body strength Nino should develop will be a nightmare trying to battle with him infront and along the boards. Nino will be able to invoke some of his will more than being a kid tossed around in a MENS league.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:22 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I understand the bar being set high for Nino. However, those 60 or so games in the NHL last year were not all of the best learning experience Yes, the exposure to certain things should have helped Nino but it is safe to say his progress was stinted. NOT RUINED, by any stretch but just set back a little. The kid is a POWER FORWARD who needs time to full grow into his frame and learn how to utilize his size more effectively. The skating needs to improve as well, but with maturity and filling out of the frame will allow Nino to be a stronger skater. The lower body strength Nino should develop will be a nightmare trying to battle with him infront and along the boards. Nino will be able to invoke some of his will more than being a kid tossed around in a MENS league.
Nino definitely seemed disinterested playing last night

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:44 AM
steveat

Crap..I forgot all about the scrimmage. I can't find it on the site. Will they be showing a rerun?

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
BillD

Great size, good skating were on display all over the ice.
Big guys like KK (an outstanding display that was a statement by him), Nino, Persson, other big kids looked undersized at times when up against some of the giants like Somerby, Leduc, Reinhart, Pedan, Mayfield. And there were no Lurches out there, these guys have mobilityto go with size.
Knew that Persson was a power forward type that has good hands and is always around the net, but he showed off some good skating and a finesse game (lead pass on the 1st goal, Fransinator backhand in the shootout) that came as a pleasant surprise.
Loved Cizikas motor, Halmo too, and KK picked up where he left off at the Memorial Cup.
Just an exhibition, no slapshots allowed I guess, but we didn't see any stinkers out there, and did see some talent (and did I mention?) SIZE.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote