HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 12:30 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Polak went directly to juniors after the draft.
Mod mentioned Birner and Schwarz.
Lemmy tried out the AHL, but never played in NA juniors.
Hellstrom and Kana played in AHL and demoted to ECHL.
Junland AHL one season
Eller AHL one season
Lehtera sipped the AHL

That is it as far as the Kekelainen era.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
If I am not mistaken, then Jaskin will be the first Blues European prospect to join the QMJHL.
Ladislav Nagy?

Konstantin Zakharov?

Old
06-28-2012, 10:21 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Ladislav Nagy?

Konstantin Zakharov?
Yeah, that was already covered. I forgot about a whole bunch of people. Thanks for adding.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Polak went directly to juniors after the draft.
Mod mentioned Birner and Schwarz.
Lemmy tried out the AHL, but never played in NA juniors.
Hellstrom and Kana played in AHL and demoted to ECHL.
Junland AHL one season
Eller AHL one season
Lehtera sipped the AHL

That is it as far as the Kekelainen era.
Junland had two seasons in the AHL.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
ChicagoBlues

Thanks.

The point of this little half-assed exercise was to identify the difference between the Norfolk Admirals and how TB utilized their drafted European prospects and the Peoria Rivermen and how STL utilized their drafted European prospects. What made the Norfolk Admirals win the Calder? I looked at injuries to TB and STL and then at the rosters regarding drafted European prospects.

Without much time and due to to straight up laziness I figured Jaskin was the first one to go to NA juniors. Alas, my esteemed colleagues here at HF Boards duly corrected that.

The take-home message from my half-assed study is that there is little to no meaningful difference between Norfolk/TB and Peoria/STL in terms of injuries and call-ups. What I did find interesting is that the Admirals had at least three drafted European prospects who were relatively successful at the same time, meaning on the same team during the same season.

Otherwise, I'm sure chemistry and general talent depth played a big factor. Norfolk had six players with 18 or more goals, while Peoria had six players with 21 or more goals. Where the teams differ is in secondary scoring. Norfolk scored 273 goals during the regular season, while Peoria score only 217.

Overall, the Europeans on Norfolk certainly had an effect, but I don't claim that it was the main reason they won the Calder.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 06-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old
07-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Tatterdemalion
Rookie User

Dave Spina, who played in Peoria in 10-11, recently signed a try-out contract with Modo in the SEL. Anyone care to give me a scout report?

Old
07-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Dave Spina, who played in Peoria in 10-11, recently signed a try-out contract with Modo in the SEL. Anyone care to give me a scout report?
Speed. Spina is going to add a TON of speed to Modo. Not the best offensive player, but he is solid defensively.

Sweden could end up a great place for Spina.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
stlweir

The addition of Ford gives Peoria another guy who drops the gloves. THE PEORIA STREET BULLIES.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:59 AM
execwrite

Blues sign Andrew Murray for depth.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
The addition of Ford gives Peoria another guy who drops the gloves. THE PEORIA STREET BULLIES.
Carver Arena is located on Jefferson Street.

Call 'em the Jefferson Street Jaw-Jackers.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
stlweir

Like it. I've got to think teams will not want to play the Riverman.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:04 AM
execwrite

from pjstar.com

PROJECT RIVERMEN: The Rivermen roster projects like this in early July:

Goaltenders: Jake Allen and Mike McKenna.

Defense: Jeff Woywitka, Scott Ford, Taylor Chorney, Cade Fairchild, Brett Ponich, David Shields, Mark Cundari.

Forwards: Andrew Murray, Adam Cracknell, T.J. Hensick, Phil McRae, Evgeny Grachev, Derek Nesbitt, Sebastian Wannstrom, Tyler Shattock, Cody Beach, Anthony Nigro, Stefan Della Rovere, Brett Sonne, Anthony Peluso, Jay Barriball, Chris Bruton.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

Thoughts on ponich last season anyone? Would love to see this guy up here within the next few years!

Old
07-11-2012, 01:36 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

For anyone that has actually seen him play in the AHL, what makes TJ Hensick so dominant? When I've watched him play for the Blues, it doesn't seem like he doesn't anything exceptionally well. How is he able to put up great numbers in the AHL that simply don't translate whatsoever to the NHL?

Old
07-11-2012, 07:11 AM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
For anyone that has actually seen him play in the AHL, what makes TJ Hensick so dominant? When I've watched him play for the Blues, it doesn't seem like he doesn't anything exceptionally well. How is he able to put up great numbers in the AHL that simply don't translate whatsoever to the NHL?
i'm sure others can answer this much better, but to me, he's hockey's version of an AAAA player.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
ChicagoBlues

TJ Hensick is the ultimate tweener, just like the guy St. Louis traded to get him; Julian Talbot. Both very good hockey players, but not NHL quality. Some guys are excellent top-6 AHLers, but would never crack the top-6 of an NHL club and are usually very much out of place in the botton-6.

It's not like you can place Hensick on the 3rd line in the NHL and expect results. He is a career AHLer and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

He's a lot like Alexandre Giroux in that regards as well. He isn't good enough to crack your top six a if you put him in a third line role, he'll be an average player who chips in every so often. Yet the skill he holds, mainly his passing and vision, allow him to dominate te AHL. I love knowing we have a player like that in Peoria.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Bariball re-signed in Peoria:

Quote:
@lkorac10 RFA Jay Barriball has resigned a one-year, two-way contract with the #stlblues. According to @capgeek, salary figures are $577.5K/$60K.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Bariball re-signed in Peoria:
Did he sign only a one year deal out of college last year?

Old
07-11-2012, 07:49 PM
tvillewr4

as a springfield, il blues fan i am secretly hoping schwartz starts in peoria so i can sneak up to as many games as possible LGB!!

Old
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
He's a lot like Alexandre Giroux in that regards as well. He isn't good enough to crack your top six a if you put him in a third line role, he'll be an average player who chips in every so often. Yet the skill he holds, mainly his passing and vision, allow him to dominate te AHL. I love knowing we have a player like that in Peoria.
A player who chips in every now and then on offence, but a liability on defence. His offence on The NHL level isn't productive enough to make him worth playing due to his weak defence, lack of physical game, and bringing no other extras of much value. But, he can help the offence at Peoria, so it will provide a decent situation for The Blues' actual NHL prospects in which to develop, possibly in a winning atmosphere.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Baby Blues

I was just thinking of the potential line combos. Here's how I see it:

line 1: Porter/Schwartz - Hensick - Nesbitt

Line2a: Barriball - McRae - Cracknell

Line 2b: Grachev - Murray - Wannstrom

Line 4: SDR - Nigro - Shattock

Line 5?: Beach - Sonne - Peluso : lots of forwards here

Extra for Alaska: Bruton

Reasoning:
Line 1: Assumes Rivs get either Porter or Schwartz; Hensick/Nesbitt combo was together last season
Line 2a: Barriball isn't much use on a checking line and he played well with McRae before; assume Cracknell can play RW
Line 2b: Shutdown line with Wannstrom playing with some vets; see ice time similar to McRae's line
Line 4 could be any combo of 4 or 5. Nigro has been better than Sonne. Hard to say how Beach will stack up

Injuries and call-ups will change it all anyway.

D:
Woywitka - Chorney (one of these 2 may end up in StL as 7th d-man)
Ford - Fairchild
Ponich - Cundari
Shields

G:
Allen
McKenna

Old
07-21-2012, 10:00 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
A player who chips in every now and then on offence, but a liability on defence. His offence on The NHL level isn't productive enough to make him worth playing due to his weak defence, lack of physical game, and bringing no other extras of much value. But, he can help the offence at Peoria, so it will provide a decent situation for The Blues' actual NHL prospects in which to develop, possibly in a winning atmosphere.
It never ceases to amaze me how well you can analyze a situation from the other side of the planet RobbK. Kudos to you.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how well you can analyze a situation from the other side of the planet RobbK. Kudos to you.
I watch ALL The Blues' games online, and I spend 2 months a year back home in Winnipeg (and see games on TV there, plus juniors games-and NOW-Jets' games, once again!), and I spend a few months in Los Angeles, as well (and see games on TV and attend a couple Kings' games), and I work some in Copenhagen Denmark and Malmö, Sweden, so I watch some Swedish Elite League and Alsvenskan games, as well. I watch a few games streamed online from other European leagues and US college hockey, as well. And, I read HF's team and player reviews, scouting reports and stories on other hockey websites.

I'm a free-lance cartoonist and writer, so I work mainly at home, and only need to see my editors in The Netherlands sporadically, through the year, and even less (only one concentrated period) in Denmark and Sweden, and spend a couple months (summer) in Munich, Germany (working in an animation studio). So, I can just send my work as scanned attachments in e-mails, and talk over things with my editors on camera with Skype.

I can get a decent overview of The Blues' entire system. If The Blues get into The Stanley Cup Finals, I'll even come to St. Louis to see a few games in person, In addition to their games I catch in L.A. and Winnipeg.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:04 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I watch ALL The Blues' games online, and I spend 2 months a year back home in Winnipeg (and see games on TV there, plus juniors games-and NOW-Jets' games, once again!), and I spend a few months in Los Angeles, as well (and see games on TV and attend a couple Kings' games), and I work some in Copenhagen Denmark and Malmö, Sweden, so I watch some Swedish Elite League and Alsvenskan games, as well. I watch a few games streamed online from other European leagues and US college hockey, as well. And, I read HF's team and player reviews, scouting reports and stories on other hockey websites.

I'm a free-lance cartoonist and writer, so I work mainly at home, and only need to see my editors in The Netherlands sporadically, through the year, and even less (only one concentrated period) in Denmark and Sweden, and spend a couple months (summer) in Munich, Germany (working in an animation studio). So, I can just send my work as scanned attachments in e-mails, and talk over things with my editors on camera with Skype.

I can get a decent overview of The Blues' entire system. If The Blues get into The Stanley Cup Finals, I'll even come to St. Louis to see a few games in person, In addition to their games I catch in L.A. and Winnipeg.
I didn't realize you spent so much time in North America.

With the internet, it really shouldn't be such a surprise that someone half a world away can be so in touch with something so regional, but even to this day it amazes me. (And I'm only 28, I grew up with all this stuff!! I can't imagine how it is for those who didn't.)

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I'd love to buy you a drink (or at least a GameTime if you don't drink) at a Stanley Cup home game and cheer on our Blues!

Closed Thread