HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Schultz is more polished than Gilroy was. Every team wants schultz. Regardless, the Rangers will be fine defensively either way
Didn't almost every team want Gilroy? And Wheeler as well? Don't see either of them lighting up the league. Wheeler has had a decent career so far but nothing spectacular.

06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
free0717

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Didn't almost every team want Gilroy? And Wheeler as well? Don't see either of them lighting up the league. Wheeler has had a decent career so far but nothing spectacular.
I wouldn't mind bringing Gilroy back on a one year deal. We need some defensive depth.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Schultz has a lot more potential than Gilroy ever did. Can't compare both of them.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I wouldn't mind bringing Gilroy back on a one year deal. We need some defensive depth.
Much rather have the 26 year old Wheeler coming off of his 64 point campaign.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:50 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
My god, all this circus for someone who never proven anything yet in the NHL?! We already trading Staal who just a year ago was our best top 4 guy and Delzotto our best puck moving defenseman. Ok.....
How many people saw Schultz play only this board?
Let's sign Schultz and then trade him!

Old
06-28-2012, 09:50 PM
we want the cup 94

If we did get him why trade Mdz ? Why not keep him and move someone eles . Its only a matter of time before we have to break up our D core . No way in hell would we be able to keep them all once they get real contracts .

McD Will want 4-5.5 mill
Staal 4.5 - 5
dANNY g . 4.5 -5.5
mDz 3-4.5
16.5-20.5 On our D core

I think once Staal is able to become a UFA He is going to push for the hurricanes to go with the other 3 Staals

So i would keep Mdz for another year or two see how it turns out . He is only what 21, 22 ? Staal if we get the feeling he does want to play with his brothers Package him and maybe a nice prospect for a Winger .

Old
06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Top 4 is set if Sauer comes back. MDZ is there as well. Leaves you 1 D spot, plus a depth d man is needed. Erixon will probably break into the lineup, and you have Eminger/Stralman/FA as possibles as well. I see no room for Schultz unless Sauer is deemed a no-go.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Schultz has a lot more potential than Gilroy ever did. Can't compare both of them.
You say that now. You forget the hype attached to Gilroy as a Hobey Baker winner despite his age. People were saying how our blue line was set offensively for years to come and Gilroy was Brian Leetch lite. I don't agree with it, but you quickly forget the how hyped Gilroy was.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
CM PUNK

he may very well turn out to be a bust and be another gilroy and that would be a major arguing point if we were giving up an asset to get him. but it will cost us nothing and anytime you can add a potentially valuable assets for nothing is a good risk...

fans and media have wasted alot of time talking about this kid but if he signs somewhere else or we get him and he busts, what has it cost the rangers? besides the time it took to talk to him today and some $$? but if you sign him and he works out you added a real nice chip.

if you look at any prospect regardless of how he was brought in...via draft, trade, undrafted ufa, drafted player that didn't sign, etc the odds are good that they will bust cause most guys don't make it. but the more prospects you bring in the better your odds to some of them will work out...

there are far more 'matt gilroys' out there then 'brian rafalski'...but i'll gladly waste my time on 5 gilroys if at the end of the day i end up with 1 rafalski

and at worst the schultz talk has atleast distracted us from the nash rumors a bit. if it wasn't for this kid we'd be on the 645th nash thread right now lol

Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

i don't see why people are so hung onto del zotto. you make it sound like we have 30 other options to trade and frankly we don't. if we got schultz that would pretty much cement the logic of moving del zotto.

you guys have to understand we need top 6 goal scoring forwards more than we need del zotto on the third pairing, and we have very little other than del zotto to move to get a top 6 forward. if we get schultz there's no doubt that del zotto becomes our biggest shop.

who else do you recommend we trade to get a forward:
dubinsky? sure! fine and dandy but a guy who just came off of career lows is not going to fetch us a top 6 forward w/o being part of a package.
anisimov? i'm fine with that, but once again doubtful that he could bring us a top 6 guy by himself.
stepan? we'd be removing a potential 50-60 point center 2nd line. we'd have to get a pretty big return and to do that we'd need a package, and more importantly: who replaces stepan on the 2nd line? anisimov...? i don't think that is a viable option.
erixon? sure in an ideal world he fetches a pretty penny, but there's one problem: HE ISN'T PROVEN! guys want defenseman who can play big minutes. del zotto proved he can handle a top 4 role.
mcilrath, miller? we don't have all too many prospects. being that that is the case imo miller should be off limits. mcilrath could be moved, but he's not going to have 1/3rd of the return that del zotto will bring.

nobody wants to just throw out del zotto. they want a top 6 forward... do you expect one to just magically fall into our laps? not gonna happen, we need to move an asset for it. erixon could replace del zotto in a bottom pairing role as is.

i can't see us not casually shopping del zotto on the off-chance that we won schultz.

even if schultz is a complete bust. erixon still can play 3rd pairing minutes (you guys seem to forget that's where del zotto will likely be)

Old
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Lundsanity30

Mdz won't be third pair unless we get schultz. Also the thought of schultz and mdz on the points in the pp sounds sweet

Old
06-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
you guys have to understand we need top 6 goal scoring forwards more than we need del zotto on the third pairing, and we have very little other than del zotto to move to get a top 6 forward. if we get schultz there's no doubt that del zotto becomes our biggest shop.
We have to understand that, huh?

Except I don't even agree with that need top6 goal scoring forwards. It would be nice to have and would go a long way to helping our other forwards, but I don't consider it a need.

I'm also not that willing to weaken the things that made this team a division winner last year. And yes, Erixon instead of Del Zotto would be weakening us.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Lundsanity30

Unless del zotto gets a Nash or Ryan return, I'm not moving him even if we get schultz

Old
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

Except I don't even agree with that need top6 goal scoring forwards. It would be nice to have and would go a long way to helping our other forwards, but I don't consider it a need.

I'm also not that willing to weaken the things that made this team a division winner last year. And yes, Erixon instead of Del Zotto would be weakening us.
I don't get it. This team was 2 wins away from the SCF and they want to go ahead and start completely shifting things around? Del Zotto may still be in experienced, but he has a hell of a lot more experience than Erixon has. Its not as if we were a border line 8th seed. We were a bonafide contender winning the Eastern conference.

You know when Im comfortable with Erixon playing and getting rid of Del Zotto? If we sign Suter and pair him with Erixon. But I don't think thats happening and personally people under estimate the amount of damage that messing with team chemistry can do. Trading Del Zotto for anything less than an absolute robbery of a trade would be a mistake.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

well that's just flat out ignorant. you're completely ignoring the context of what i said. we don't "need" top 6 forwards or del zotto, but in respect the "need" for top six forwards is higher than the "need" for a 3rd ld that can't swap sides.

if we get a top 6 forward over del zotto and play erixon (assuming that erixon is ready) instead of del zotto that is in no way weakening us whatsoever. you're completely ignoring what we'd gain on offense. if it was just erixon for del zotto then yeah maybe we lose something... but it'd be erixon + a potential top 6 forward for del zotto. big difference.

if our top 6 becomes good enough for hagelin or callahan to be put on the third line adding some of the missing secondary scoring on this team(while still adding top 6 primary scoring) then then we fix our biggest problem and rely a little bit less on rock solid defense/goaltending that was so great this year. mistakes wouldn't be as prevalent (see the couple of games where biron let up 4-5 goals)

the defense would still be strong. del zotto wouldn't be forced into a right-d role.

having him swap sides is going to weaken his defensive game as well as his offensive game. the kid doesn't have the best confidence. a year of swapping sides can't possibly do him any good. he didn't take well to the side swap this year. staal wasn't that great swapping sides either. could he stay top 4? sureeee but when we have sauer back i don't even see it as a question of del zotto being bottom pairing or not and if schultz was to come in and be as great as projected, then it's another guy that del zotto would have to fight for a position on the off side with.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Lundsanity30

I'm all for keeping the majority of the core in tact, but lets be real guys the Rangers need goal scoring in a big way. We struggled too much to score goals last year and we along with our defense simply ran outta gas. We either need to bring in a top 6 guy and move everyone else down, or we need to sign one or two people to help out with the depth who can pot about 20 goals each. someone like a Shane Doan, Ray Whitney, Alexander Semin, etc.

As far as the Rangers fans who continue to say we were two wins away from the Stanley cup. You're right, we were. We were also one loss away from being eliminated in the 1st round if Hank didn't stand on his head against Ottawa. Furthermore, we were 6 seconds away from being eliminated in the 2nd round until Brad Richards pulled out one of the most heroic goals in history. So yes we were 2 wins away from the SCF, but we were lucky as hell and we need more goal scoring to be a legit threat again, that's the bottom line.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
I don't get it. This team was 2 wins away from the SCF and they want to go ahead and start completely shifting things around? Del Zotto may still be in experienced, but he has a hell of a lot more experience than Erixon has. Its not as if we were a border line 8th seed. We were a bonafide contender winning the Eastern conference.

You know when Im comfortable with Erixon playing and getting rid of Del Zotto? If we sign Suter and pair him with Erixon. But I don't think thats happening and personally people under estimate the amount of damage that messing with team chemistry can do. Trading Del Zotto for anything less than an absolute robbery of a trade would be a mistake.
for the millionth time. you can't get anything without giving up anything. i still haven't seen anybody mention another player who we can safely move in order to improve the top 6 and really there aren't any free agents out there that i can see coming here.

other teams are improving. we lose gaborik to start the season. that's already a big loss. we don't know that gaborik will come back at 100% w/o camp... we don't even know if he'll come back at 50%. we have to prepare for the best scenario and fix any mistakes that we can to get better.

you guys may want to believe that we're going into the season the same team that just made it to the ECF (keep in mind it took 2 rounds of 7 games to get there as the first place team in the east-- playing 8th/7th seeds.), but we aren't. we're starting the season likely with no fedotenko or prust. we have no legit depth call ups when things go wrong. we gain kreider(rookie), but we lose gaborik(vet) to start the season. this is a different team. as is every other team in the league. we didn't even win the cup last year... so clearly we have room to improve-- even if only from a depth standpoint.

and Lundsanity explained it very well above. we were 1 loss(we had to win 2 in a row!) from a round 1 elimination. hardly as good of a team as you guys make it sound. there's always room to improve.

and to give this team some credit, we're a young team and everybody has another year of experience under their belts... but that goes with every other team.

if we sign schultz imo it's a no brainer del zotto at least gets shopped for a good offer. no guarantee that he gets a good enough offer to be moved, but he's our best asset that i'd be willing to part with/could see the team parting with if the return was acceptable.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:24 PM
we want the cup 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I'm all for keeping the majority of the core in tact, but lets be real guys the Rangers need goal scoring in a big way. We struggled too much to score goals last year and we along with our defense simply ran outta gas. We either need to bring in a top 6 guy and move everyone else down, or we need to sign one or two people to help out with the depth who can pot about 20 goals each. someone like a Shane Doan, Ray Whitney, Alexander Semin, etc.

As far as the Rangers fans who continue to say we were two wins away from the Stanley cup. You're right, we were. We were also one loss away from being eliminated in the 1st round if Hank didn't stand on his head against Ottawa. Furthermore, we were 6 seconds away from being eliminated in the 2nd round until Brad Richards pulled out one of the most heroic goals in history. So yes we were 2 wins away from the SCF, but we were lucky as hell and we need more goal scoring to be a legit threat again, that's the bottom line.
Amen BROTHER

I love this team as much as any one eles . Truth is we cant wait another 3-5 years for this or that . We made it 2 games away from the SCF now we go out and get what we needed this year to make it happen a GOAL SCORER . I See your point in the guy who scores 20 thing . I just rather have that guy who puts up 30-40 a guy who the other team will go after to free up someone eles . Also that guy who can score on the PP .
Nash / Ryan one of them have to be on Broadway next year . Then pick us up a guy who knocks in 20

Old
06-28-2012, 11:56 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Fixing the power play, which is Schultz's specialty would address most of offensive issues.

And as for the glut on defense, it's a nice problem to have but not necessary to solve the minute that Schultz (hopefully) signs. Let's sort things out before making a deal. There is always a demand for defenseman. Once all the questions are answered, there will be plenty of time and opportunity to move any unneeded assets.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:50 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
The Rangers’ delegation that featured head coach John Tortorella in a prominent role made its pitch to University of Wisconsin free agent defenseman Justin Schultz yesterday, stressing the opportunity the Blueshirts grant young players out of college to make an immediate mark as well as the opportunity to join a Stanley Cup contender on the Broadway stage.
Quote:
McDonagh, who spent a half season in the AHL before joining the Rangers midway through 2010-11 and blossoming into a first-pair staple in his sophomore pro season, is believed to have joined in the recruiting process.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...s&utm_content=

Old
06-29-2012, 01:08 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

VAN spoke to Schultz on Wednesday

Quote:
Everyone knows the Vancouver Canucks have as good a chance as any team to secure the most sought-after free agent since Cindy Crawford, that being one Justin Schultz, to whom they made their pitch in Toronto on Wednesday.
Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Se...#ixzz1z9y4mIzp

McKenzie tweeted Schultz didn't speak to teams on Wednesday

Old
06-29-2012, 05:33 AM
DutchShamrock

Schultz has nothing to do with Del Zotto. RD and LD respectively. Huge gaping hole on the right side, that's why Schultz is desired by NYR and why we are a potential target. MDZ is a known commodity for offense from the blueline... something we cannot say about any other blueliner under contract. McD was drafted to be an offensive guy and he developed into this shutdown stud. Gilroy never seemed to transfer the offensive side to the NHL, not enough to be counted on.

One day one or all of Erixon, McIlrath, Schultz, Sauer, Skej will start to push out some established guys. Some day in the future when they earn a spot and prove their value. But I don't understand the rush to part with such an amazing core when they are under contract for amazing prices. Wait to see with free agency. Be patient with the trades. No one moved a Staal level player for Thornton, Heately, Hossa or Kovalchuk.

It's like Mitch Hedberg's line about not eating an apple because eventually it'll be a core. God forbid we enjoy the journey before they leave.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:36 AM
BlueHavok

Quote:
You say that now. You forget the hype attached to Gilroy as a Hobey Baker winner despite his age. People were saying how our blue line was set offensively for years to come and Gilroy was Brian Leetch lite. I don't agree with it, but you quickly forget the how hyped Gilroy was.
That's exactly how it was, spot on....I remember hearing "leetch lite" specifically in those days...chuckle now when I think about it....

Old
06-29-2012, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Bob McKenzie: Speaking of Justin Schultz, there's been a steady stream of teams going through the offices of the agent for the former University of Wisconsin defenceman, who declared himself a free agent by leaving school early. We're starting to get some insight into maybe why he didn't want to sign with the Anaheim Ducks because there's a very strong Canadian emphasis on his short list of teams. The Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators were four of the five teams that we knew to be on that list. In free agency, it's unusual for four Canadian teams to be featured so prominently. Most people feel that Vancouver and Edmonton are the frontrunners but the New York Rangers are the fifth team in that mix and a lot of people think Ryan McDonagh's connection there means they'll have a good chance to get Schultz. There is reason to believe the Minnesota Wild are also in the running. I would expect a decision no earlier than Friday night or Saturday.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399474

Old
06-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Gatorade*

Zero chance the Rangers get him. Many believe thus little show is to hide the tampering.

Closed Thread