HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Fire Nieuwendyk | Nieuwendyk Fired (Post #903)

Old
06-28-2012, 11:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
No he wasn't. Ribeiro didn't put cement in everyone's skates.
No, just his own. But I don't see how Goligoski did either.

It doesn't matter, the guys most at blame are the coaching staff. You can't argue that.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
He just stayed out there twice as long as he should've and puck hogged it every time he was on the ice.
Ding ding ding

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
He just stayed out there twice as long as he should've and puck hogged it every time he was on the ice.
I'm not saying he wasn't partly to blame but c'monnn guys. Seriously, complaining about a player over-staying shifts to the point that they have to trade him is among the weakest most ******** things I've ever heard. If a coaching staff can't get a player to get off the ice when they want then there is some weak ass leadership at play. Even if they couldn't get him to conform there's one solution that is so unbelievably obvious it doesn't even warrant mentioning.

I wonder if his "puck hogging" had anything to do with his teammates' inability to get open. The PP was stagnant because nobody moved; that problem has been a constant theme for the last three seasons.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
No, just his own.
His teammate's weren't moving to create passing lanes. The problem with Ribeiro was a systemic one, not something he created.

Quote:
But I don't see how Goligoski did either.
He failed to work well with the team's best playmaker in part because he didn't move his feet enough.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
I'm not saying he wasn't partly to blame but c'monnn guys. Seriously, complaining about a player over-staying shifts to the point that they have to trade him is among the weakest most ******** things I've ever heard. If a coaching staff can't get a player to get off the ice when they want then there is some weak ass leadership at play. Even if they couldn't get him to conform there's one solution that is so unbelievably obvious it doesn't even warrant mentioning.

I wonder if his "puck hogging" had anything to do with his teammates' inability to get open. The PP was stagnant because nobody moved; that problem has been a constant theme for the last three seasons.
I'm not even disagreeing with ya. Just thought it was funny ya said he didn't put cement in guys skates when he was one of the worst guys out there in terms of not moving the puck or himself.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I'm not even disagreeing with ya. Just thought it was funny ya said he didn't put cement in guys skates when he was one of the worst guys out there in terms of not moving the puck or himself.
I just see it as a systemic issue. When he had players who opened up passing lanes he never used to hold onto it quite so long or so much. Of course when we had that we also had Zubov who was PP alpha male. That and he also knew how and when to shoot the puck.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Brand New Stars

vCash: 500
Quote:

Exactly this.

Brand New Stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:49 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
I just see it as a systemic issue. When he had players who opened up passing lanes he never used to hold onto it quite so long or so much. Of course when we had that we also had Zubov who was PP alpha male. That and he also knew how and when to shoot the puck.
Then what's wrong with Goligoski, exactly? I don't really remember him being utilized at all on the PP.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:20 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
What do you mean by that? He played the most per game of any Star.

Most of the time he was getting his shot blocked or double-clutching and continuing the perimeter passing parade.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
What do you mean by that? He played the most per game of any Star.

Most of the time he was getting his shot blocked or double-clutching and continuing the perimeter passing parade.
Getting his shot blocked is a hell of a lot better than holding it on the sidewall the whole time. Perimeter passing is also preferable to holding, it's one of the main ways they get any kind of shot...

Old
06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Why are you guys re-fighting the Alamo with this power play talk? We lost. It sucked and almost by definition it will be better this year because it can't be worse.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:18 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Well we subtracted our leading PP scorer, so it could get worse.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Why are you guys re-fighting the Alamo with this power play talk? We lost. It sucked and almost by definition it will be better this year because it can't be worse.
I can totally see it getting worse without Ribs.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Amazing Larry
WE PLAYOFFS NOW

vCash: 869
Quote:
I can totally see it getting worse without Ribs.
*ducks*

Amazing Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Well then Seth Jones come on down. Still we're stuck with Goligoski. We can only hope he's better. Ribs is gone and welp I just don't understand what you guys are arguing about so passionately.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:32 AM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Well then Seth Jones come on down. Still we're stuck with Goligoski. We can only hope he's better. Ribs is gone and welp I just don't understand what you guys are arguing about so passionately.
I'm ok with that. I'm pretty sure I'm 100% on board with icing a very poor team this season. Hope being we end up with a top 2 pick, hopefully sell some assets for an additional one or two 1sts and making a splash by moving up to land both MacKinnon and Jones. Pipe dream I know but I just can't take another year of being just good enough to screw ourselves.

usefulfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Then what's wrong with Goligoski, exactly? I don't really remember him being utilized at all on the PP.
What do you mean he wasn't utilized on the PP? He led the team in PP time and ended up 5th in PP points. The team needs him to be better on the PP, flat out. No excuses. I don't even understand your question.

If you can't see Goligoski's offensive inadequacies then I'm not sure what more there is to say.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulfiction View Post
I'm ok with that. I'm pretty sure I'm 100% on board with icing a very poor team this season. Hope being we end up with a top 2 pick, hopefully sell some assets for an additional one or two 1sts and making a splash by moving up to land both MacKinnon and Jones. Pipe dream I know but I just can't take another year of being just good enough to screw ourselves.

Won't get 1 & 2 but I'd be pretty happy with say Monahan or Barkov as an offensive guy along with Jones. Two of those three would help turn this thing around quickly.

Say you move Ott, Ryder and Lehtonen each for a 1st. Trade two of those up for another top five pick. We'd still have our pick and one left over. Dallas remakes it's roster and has the flexibility with so many picks to trade one or two for guys closer to NHL ready.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
What do you mean he wasn't utilized on the PP? He led the team in PP time and ended up 5th in PP points. The team needs him to be better on the PP, flat out. No excuses. I don't even understand your question.

If you can't see Goligoski's offensive inadequacies then I'm not sure what more there is to say.
Where were those inadequacies when he came here directly after the trade? I seem to remember him doing pretty well when we had a better PP.

Having the most time on the PP doesn't mean he should be the #1 scorer on the PP either, he is a defenseman after all.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:20 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Won't get 1 & 2 but I'd be pretty happy with say Monahan or Barkov as an offensive guy along with Jones. Two of those three would help turn this thing around quickly.

Say you move Ott, Ryder and Lehtonen each for a 1st. Trade two of those up for another top five pick. We'd still have our pick and one left over. Dallas remakes it's roster and has the flexibility with so many picks to trade one or two for guys closer to NHL ready.
Thatd be a pretty quick way to get the franchise turned around. Even if it was just a top 3 pick and a top 15 pick itd be awesome. Next years draft is actually looking prett impressive as far as centers go.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:41 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:

What I remember is him being out there for a substantial amount of time, but not ever really being used much or given the puck. To me, Ribeiro is the biggest on ice reason for the ****** PP by far. Not Goligoski.

I still think he'll be a consistent 40+ point getter. One bad season and we've given up on him.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:

If we got Barkov and Jones...

Scary.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Where were those inadequacies when he came here directly after the trade? I seem to remember him doing pretty well when we had a better PP.
I can't tell you why the player played differently; I'm not in his head. He clearly did play differently though and blaming all of his shortcomings on another player is bs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Having the most time on the PP doesn't mean he should be the #1 scorer on the PP either, he is a defenseman after all.
Sure it does, or pretty close to it. Zubov routinely led the team in PP time and PP points. He had 40 points on the PP as recently as 06-07. I'm really not sure what his being a defenseman has to do with not putting up points. Richards racks up the PP points by playing the point.

Quote:
What I remember is him being out there for a substantial amount of time, but not ever really being used much or given the puck. To me, Ribeiro is the biggest on ice reason for the ****** PP by far. Not Goligoski.
You're giving the benefit of the doubt to the new guy with basically zero caché built up. I choose to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who played six seasons for us.

Piqued nailed it. Goligoski was constantly getting his shot blocked from the point; why would Ribeiro want to give him the puck, especially when part of the reason he kept getting his shot block was because he wasn't moving enough. Players not moving on the PP...broken record.

Quote:
I still think he'll be a consistent 40+ point getter. One bad season and we've given up on him.
I wouldn't say it's fair to say that I've given up on him although I have given up on him being as good of a defenseman as Neal is a forward.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Also, I'm still optimistic that Goligoski has yet to hit his true stride in Dallas. Hopefully next season we see an elevated game from him.
The problem I have is the guy is way, way softer than I expected. Rafalski got away with it because he was so good with the puck and his positioning, but Goligoski is a lesser version in every way so far.

Rafalski was a late bloomer, too, so we'll see this year.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Stars99Lobo37

He hasn't signed anyone 6 minutes in...

FIRE HIM!