HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Plekanec be the one on the way out ?

Old
06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Maybe with Gauthier here, but not a chance with Bergevin.

Eller is here to stay, big strong centerman who will get a chance to prove himself on a top line. This is why i think Plekanec will be traded.
Bergevin and Therrien specifically spoke out about how they really want to keep Plekanec...that he the guy they need on and off the ice. He's our best forward both offensively and defensively currently, and he has been for several years. I mean, he had 8 or 9 points less than Desharnais, yet he spent the entire season with Darche, Cammalleri, Bourque, and Moen AND against the top offensive threats in the defensive zone. People are so quick to forget about one of our most valuable players.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Habruti!

In my opinion this is the year where Leblanc and Emelin needs to make it to the next level. The best two guys for that are Markov and Plekanek. They are part of the MTL tradintion and represent the DNA of this team.

I think Plekanec is at a stage in his career where must help our young corp get to the next level. Leblanc is the perfect RW for him and we need another body on the Left side to complement them.

Same can be said for Markov with regards to Emelin.

So to me the lineup is the following:
Pacioretty, DD, Cole
Bourque, Eller, Gionta
UFA, Plekanec, Leblanc
Moen, Nokeleinen, White

For the Dmen:
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Diaz/Webber/UFA

So here is the question... who is the best UFA to compliment Plekanec and Leblanc...
Parenteau is a RW,, perhaps he could play on the left side. Same for Doan. That leaves guys like Penner and Latendresse. I fail to see any better options.

The best option would obviously be Parise but I am afraid he would be too expensive. ...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plus Plekanec is young enough that he could potentially still be a very good player in 3-4-5 years when we can potentially be a very good team. There is nothing etched in stone taht says we can't move Eller or Galchenyuk to wing in the next 2-3 years and have 3 strong forward lines.

I don't see any scenario where we HAVE to tarde Plekanec, I see him as sort of like Yzerman late in his career, a quiet leader that does whatever it takes to win and a guy coaches love, trhe kind of player you find on winning teams.
Now i have seen it all

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
In my opinion this is the year where Leblanc and Emelin needs to make it to the next level. The best two guys for that are Markov and Plekanek. They are part of the MTL tradintion and represent the DNA of this team.

I think Plekanec is at a stage in his career where must help our young corp get to the next level. Leblanc is the perfect RW for him and we need another body on the Left side to complement them.

Same can be said for Markov with regards to Emelin.

So to me the lineup is the following:
Pacioretty, DD, Cole
Bourque, Eller, Gionta
UFA, Plekanec, Leblanc
Moen, Nokeleinen, White

For the Dmen:
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Diaz/Webber/UFA

So here is the question... who is the best UFA to compliment Plekanec and Leblanc...
Parenteau is a RW,, perhaps he could play on the left side. Same for Doan. That leaves guys like Penner and Latendresse. I fail to see any better options.

The best option would obviously be Parise but I am afraid he would be too expensive. ...
Eller over Plekanec Eller is no second liner, he only manage 28 points, while plekanec managed in the 50 points while playing with white, moen, etc. BTW Plekanec is not 38 years old, he's only 29, in his prime ...

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:07 AM
S Bah

Plekanec is in his own stratosphere in Montreal he's worked his a.. off and become one of the Frank Selke nominees regularly along with Datsyuk.We don't want to sink the ship just get the sump pumps working.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Plekanec is in his own stratosphere in Montreal he's worked his a.. off and become one of the Frank Selke nominees regularly along with Datsyuk.We don't want to sink the ship just get the sump pumps working.

I agree, and

THEY SHOULD take some of the dfense asignment OFF Plek and let him go more offense!The guy got great O skill,but every playoff he gotta try to shut down .LET HIM RUN WILD.

Enough of this crazy talk of Plek going anywhere, he is the most under appreciated Habs there is .
2 WAY GAME.He will end up with more points that Saku in Montreal, wake up and give the guy his respect .The facts are Saku in Montreal had to play on JUNK TEAMS for most years ...Same with Plek , same road .

Put Plek on a cup contender, you'll see his value .Any cup contender would love to have Tomas Plekanec.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-29-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Firestar27

Trade Pleks and see how DD becomes a lot less effective because suddenly other teams know he's the #1 center and needs to be shut down.

Heck, Pleks played with Darche and Bourque at the end of last season, can't do much with wingers like that... I'd love to see him go to a team like Chicago or Detroit. All of you wanting him traded would see that he ain't 'just a 50 pts softy'.

Remember Cammy, 50% of his goals came from a perfect saucer pass from Plekanec, he just need a real winger.

Firestar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Eller over Plekanec Eller is no second liner, he only manage 28 points, while plekanec managed in the 50 points while playing with white, moen, etc. BTW Plekanec is not 38 years old, he's only 29, in his prime ...
Yes he is in his prime and by no means I would expect Eller to play the second line center ahaed of Plekanec. THe order of my lines do not define the amount of ice time they would be given. I feel that Eller just like Leblanc needs to be partnered with established NHLers and playing alongside of Bourque and Gionta, he could defenitley flourish. This could prove to be an effective line.

Same with Leblanc and Plekanec and who ever they end up matched with. I feel that on any given day any of our top 3 lines could end up being the most productive with the most ice time...

Old
06-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Now i have seen it all
He's seen it all folks!

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
Trade Pleks and see how DD becomes a lot less effective because suddenly other teams know he's the #1 center and needs to be shut down.

Heck, Pleks played with Darche and Bourque at the end of last season, can't do much with wingers like that... I'd love to see him go to a team like Chicago or Detroit. All of you wanting him traded would see that he ain't 'just a 50 pts softy'.

Remember Cammy, 50% of his goals came from a perfect saucer pass from Plekanec, he just needs a real winger.
While I do agree with you post, I do not agree with the fact of laying out on his winger. Its not like Bourque is not a capable winger heck he has 2 25goals plus season.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
When was he ever nominated for the selke?

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
While I do agree with you post, I do not agree with the fact of laying out on his winger. Its not like Bourque is not a capable winger heck he has 2 25goals plus season.
Bourque was a capable winger. There was a reason Calgary traded him.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
And Gomez was once a PPG player, times change, players change. There was nothing in Bourques game last year that showed he had any interest in hockey, none what so ever.

Even the year prior, yes he put up 27 goals, only to have his point totals decrease and put up a whopping -17.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:48 AM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Quote:
I don't see why you basically spend all of your time on this forum trashing Plekanec. Is he not the best defensive forward on our team? Does he not play against the best opposing lines every game? Does he not play with garbage wingers (while Gionta was injured and Cammy was traded)? Did he not still get over 50 pts? NINE POINTS less than Desharnais while facing this every game.

Face it, you know the answer to all of these questions is yes. Troll.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
I don't see why you basically spend all of your time on this forum trashing Plekanec. Is he not the best defensive forward on our team? Does he not play against the best opposing lines every game? Does he not play with garbage wingers (while Gionta was injured and Cammy was traded)? Did he not still get over 50 pts? NINE POINTS less than Desharnais while facing this every game.

Its mainly cus Plekanec doesnt have the right background. Its pretty obvious

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:01 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Let me save you the time and give his responses -

Plekanec's +/- was like -20 or something bad like that, and that's absolute proof he sucks defensively.

Also he once criticized own his play as "like a girl" years ago, that means he is always "girlie" and soft, being a European and all.

Now please stop quoting him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:05 AM
clownquestionbro*

People don't want to see a team that rolls 4 lines with Plekanec, Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Eller for a few years? Center depth sucks, i guess.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
100% certain that you'd be a plekanec supporter if his name was spelled: Plekŕnéc

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
"Nominated"? No. But after getting 13 votes (29 voting points) in 2010/11 (more than Jordan Staal and Brad Richards), he got 5 Selke votes for this past season... giving him more voting points (25) than Hossa, Elias, Parise, and Talbot.

And this was his "worst" season to date.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:25 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Maybe I'm in an ornery mood but I'm kinda not feeling Pleks mid-to-long term. His offense is lacking and what he has in speed, skating and drive he lacks in skill, vision and finesse. That innate vision is something he really doesn't have and I don't think he should be depended on for offense because of that.

It does majorly depend on coaching however, maybe Therrien can get the goods out of him, who knows.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Well, sure, but that's a truism.

I think it really depends on the temperature of Gomez. If he is a useless piece of trash who will never ever be near a Habs team again, then dealing Plekanec is pretty much out of the question. But I, as a new GM with a new coach, would go into training camp with Gomez on the notional roster. If Therrien comes back and says, "I have no room for this bum. We will win more games with a golden retriever on the roster than him," then it's time to make decisions on how to ditch him. But I would certainly expect at least that my new coach would properly evaluate him instead of hoping that I would simply vaporize him. A coach is supposed to coach.

Also, I think it depends on where the Habs are this year, in Bergevin's mind. I don't see them as a contender. They could make the playoffs, but it wouldn't surprise me either, as the team stands right now, that they miss the playoffs again while the young core matures and the the next wave of prospects develop. If the Habs are a few years away, as I think, then you have to have a plan. Eller and Desharnais are still young and cheap and, in Eller's case, full of upside. Gomez has been terrible and is expensive, but only for another two years. Being Timmins' top ranked player in the entire 2012 draft, Galchenyuk has to figure in the projected lineup two years from now. So, if you can squeeze some on-ice value out of Gomez for at least this year, then he becomes a decent placeholder, given that he is immoveable in any event.

As I see it, there are two basic trade scenarios for Plekanec. One, before training camp, he's a centrepiece in a proposed deal for Kane or Ryan or or some other rare young core player. If it's a good deal, especially looking past the next season, then you make it, even if that means clouds of uncertainty going into this training camp but sunshine rays of promise beyond that.

Two, during training camp, Gomez shows sign of life, which presents a dilemma -- 4 good top 3 centres, none of whom are suited for 4th line duties. In that case, I think you have to explore how good the offers would be for the veteran centre with the best trade value. If every other GM is looking for a rip-off, then you let Therrien deal with the rather pleasant problem of having too many good centres. Injuries, whether on the Habs or a team with dreams of contention, will soon resolve that dilemma.

Bottom line, trading Plekanec just to trade him is a dumb idea, but I do see it as a potential move with a lot of benefit, unless we assume that Gomez is a simple zero and that the Habs have a strong chance of being any good this year. I wouldn't make either assumption, and so I would be exploring just how valuable Plekanec might be in a trade to get a piece that will make the Habs better for a while, even if it only all comes together in a few years.
This is exactly what i'm getting at but in better words.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Maybe I'm in an ornery mood but I'm kinda not feeling Pleks mid-to-long term. His offense is lacking and what he has in speed, skating and drive he lacks in skill, vision and finesse. That innate vision is something he really doesn't have and I don't think he should be depended on for offense because of that.

It does majorly depend on coaching however, maybe Therrien can get the goods out of him, who knows.
I don't get how his "offense is lacking"? He scored 52 points last year with tough matchups and no help. Any year he's had decent linemates he's put up around 70 points. His vision isn't Crosby like, but I'd say it's above average, good enough to get 30 goals out of Gionta next year if he stays healthy.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Well, sure, but that's a truism.

I think it really depends on the temperature of Gomez. If he is a useless piece of trash who will never ever be near a Habs team again, then dealing Plekanec is pretty much out of the question. But I, as a new GM with a new coach, would go into training camp with Gomez on the notional roster. If Therrien comes back and says, "I have no room for this bum. We will win more games with a golden retriever on the roster than him," then it's time to make decisions on how to ditch him. But I would certainly expect at least that my new coach would properly evaluate him instead of hoping that I would simply vaporize him. A coach is supposed to coach.

Also, I think it depends on where the Habs are this year, in Bergevin's mind. I don't see them as a contender. They could make the playoffs, but it wouldn't surprise me either, as the team stands right now, that they miss the playoffs again while the young core matures and the the next wave of prospects develop. If the Habs are a few years away, as I think, then you have to have a plan. Eller and Desharnais are still young and cheap and, in Eller's case, full of upside. Gomez has been terrible and is expensive, but only for another two years. Being Timmins' top ranked player in the entire 2012 draft, Galchenyuk has to figure in the projected lineup two years from now. So, if you can squeeze some on-ice value out of Gomez for at least this year, then he becomes a decent placeholder, given that he is immoveable in any event.

As I see it, there are two basic trade scenarios for Plekanec. One, before training camp, he's a centrepiece in a proposed deal for Kane or Ryan or or some other rare young core player. If it's a good deal, especially looking past the next season, then you make it, even if that means clouds of uncertainty going into this training camp but sunshine rays of promise beyond that.

Two, during training camp, Gomez shows sign of life, which presents a dilemma -- 4 good top 3 centres, none of whom are suited for 4th line duties. In that case, I think you have to explore how good the offers would be for the veteran centre with the best trade value. If every other GM is looking for a rip-off, then you let Therrien deal with the rather pleasant problem of having too many good centres. Injuries, whether on the Habs or a team with dreams of contention, will soon resolve that dilemma.

Bottom line, trading Plekanec just to trade him is a dumb idea, but I do see it as a potential move with a lot of benefit, unless we assume that Gomez is a simple zero and that the Habs have a strong chance of being any good this year. I wouldn't make either assumption, and so I would be exploring just how valuable Plekanec might be in a trade to get a piece that will make the Habs better for a while, even if it only all comes together in a few years.
I don't think Therien has much of a say in the Gomez situation.

Because of his cap hit, they have to or probably have already made a call on his situation. You can't go into camp with a cap payroll of 74-75 mil and give Gomez a shot at making the team based on his on ice performance because the whole off season and moves made are dependant on having or not having that 7+ mil to spend on players. You can't make a run at Jagr Semin or Parenteau plus Salvador and Allen in July without knowing what you will do with Gomez.

At the end of the day to me it's a no brainer. 1-you just hired a young GM and should give him all the flexibility to do his job(no Gomez on roster or buyout) 2-you have your 3 top centers already lined up and Gomez is not a 4th liner

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
According to some people, our best player is always the next one. We love idealizing a player's future, but we utterly fail to appreciate what we have in the present.

- Plekanec is the most consistent, productive center we have.

- Lars Eller may possibly, hopefully, one day, become a 50-point player, which describes Plekanec in a BAD year!

- Plekanec's 29. In four years, he'll be 33, the same age as Cole is now.

- Plekanec gets the toughest assignments and is matched against the toughest opponents.

- Remember the many breakaways he got stealing the puck on the PK. Few players are as smart and quick as Plek.

- He has an amazing work ethic and is a great role model.

- Ask yourself who you'd expect in return for our 3rd pick. Now ask yourself if you seriously think another team would give up their top pick for Plekanec. A player of his calibre carries value, but not the kind of top-tier value the trade-lovers are hoping for. We'd get a good player in return, but not a top-5 pick, and then we'd be left with a massive hole where a 50-70 point two-way center used to be.

ahem.

THIS!!!!!

I guarantee if his name was Hebert there would be statues erected and holidays named for him in Quebec. But because he isn't a "pure laine" some people seem to just ignore the last 6-7 years of solid play

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
He's seen it all folks!
Stop quoting him... I tought he wasnt roaming the board anymore..

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote