HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Moreau played through concussion

Old
06-29-2012, 12:29 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Moreau played through concussion

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/06/ethan...nd-the-scenes/

Quote:
The recommendation to retire came after he failed the baseline concussion test twice in Manchester, something that wasnt reported at the time.

I had some head related injuries where Id get hit and Id have double vision. It would last four to five minutes. It was kind of a scary thing and I was never really able to get to the bottom of it.
Figured I'd pass this along for those that care.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Quattro

vCash: 500
Yikes. Scary. I wish him the best.

Never got the hatred directed at him or Hunter. Brought in to be cheap veteran fillers. Replaced when better guys emerged. Played his role.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

It's not about hate of the player for me. It's hate for that direction we were going. Having a loaded up farm system, telling those guys to compete for a job then filling that job with a washed up guy and losing games....then ???????????? and then NO PROFIT.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
It's not about hate of the player for me. It's hate for that direction we were going. Having a loaded up farm system, telling those guys to compete for a job then filling that job with a washed up guy and losing games....then ???????????? and then NO PROFIT.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Well don't I feel like a dick for saying he was ******** for being demoted to the AHL ... damn too bad about his injuries, now I feel bad for the guy ... best of luck w/ the scouting job for the Canadiens Ethan, thanks for trying to give it one last shot and for the support and love you give the Kings family.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
You love to lose? You can't tell me that playing those slow guys when we have King, Nolan and more waiting in the wings...

Old
06-29-2012, 01:05 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:

Never got the hatred directed at him or Hunter. Brought in to be cheap veteran fillers. Replaced when better guys emerged. Played his role.
Correct!

If anything, blame TM for inserting them into the lineup, but to blame the players is just silly and unreasonable.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Moreau and Hunter were broken down, grizzled vets whose best years were well past them when they were signed. I understand that Lombardi was trying to have some veterans in the lineup who had experience, but King and Nolan did exactly what those two players were brought in to do, and performed at a level well beyond that. Thankfully the Kings realized their mistakes and corrected them before it was too late.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:55 AM
raifers

who's to say they would have done as well if they had played at the nhl level the whole season? or if they wouldn't have become damaged goods under TM?

raifers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:01 AM
funky

Quote:

This

Plus they gave King and Nolan that extra time they needed to be ready for the call. Look at the learning curve on King from last years call up to this years. It doesntnhurtbthese young pups to spend a little time in the minors to develop. I love Clifford and I hope he is in the minors to develop when the season starts. Short term gain for long term gain.

But back to topic at hand. I met Moreau at a charity function before he signed last year, was a stand up guy and took time to talk hockey, I wish him the best.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:52 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Sorry but am I REALLY the only one who sees a problem in someone not reporting symptoms of a concussion? Even if he didn't know it was a concussion, you'd think he would be compelled to tell the team his symptoms. Just rubs me the wrong way. Didn't say how long he was playing with it. Continually taking hits after feeling like that was a scary idea and not good to mess around with your health like that.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Muzzfan

This explains a lot. I always wondered why a veteran player did the things he did on the ice. Some of the unexplicable is now explicable.

Hope he has a normal life after hockey. I don't want to hear about another Deadmarsh situation.

Muzzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
This

Plus they gave King and Nolan that extra time they needed to be ready for the call. Look at the learning curve on King from last years call up to this years. It doesntnhurtbthese young pups to spend a little time in the minors to develop. I love Clifford and I hope he is in the minors to develop when the season starts. Short term gain for long term gain.

But back to topic at hand. I met Moreau at a charity function before he signed last year, was a stand up guy and took time to talk hockey, I wish him the best.
Yep, people need to understand that Nolan began his pro career in the ECHL because he wasn't good enough to play in Manchester. Then he put up 17 points in his first AHL season, only to come in this year and put up the same number of points in half the games... You really can't ask for faster development than that, and as soon as the Kings recognized that he was called up... Almost the second there was better options available Moreau and Hunter got demoted and replaced so I really don't get the hate for those guys around here. Plus it's not like Hunter was some grizzled old veteran that had been around for years... He's a 31 year old coming off major knee surgery signed as an extra piece on the 3rd or 4th line.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Well don't I feel like a dick for saying he was ******** for being demoted to the AHL ... damn too bad about his injuries, now I feel bad for the guy ... best of luck w/ the scouting job for the Canadiens Ethan, thanks for trying to give it one last shot and for the support and love you give the Kings family.
Looks like you are one fo the few people to say this so far. I know there were plenty of other people who made similar comments (cough, herby, cough). If I sad someting (don't think so) but that is pretty messed up. Guy had birdies flying around his head and everyone was calling him a baby.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by raifers View Post
who's to say they would have done as well if they had played at the nhl level the whole season? or if they wouldn't have become damaged goods under TM?
I really want to agree. But at the same time, the way things were going, it felt that DL HAD to call up King and Nolan when he did, almost out of desperation.....same with the Carter trade. I'm just glad it turned out as damn good as it did. And it was DAMN good!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Good luck to him as a scout.

Every good army needs a couple of criminals. - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Duc620

Best of luck to him and let's hope he doesn't develop more symptoms later in life. Moreau should be proud of his solid NHL career.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Moreau and Hunter were broken down, grizzled vets whose best years were well past them when they were signed. I understand that Lombardi was trying to have some veterans in the lineup who had experience, but King and Nolan did exactly what those two players were brought in to do, and performed at a level well beyond that. Thankfully the Kings realized their mistakes and corrected them before it was too late.
Right. It's not player hate. It's the Kings idea to insert these guys that made little sense to us and thus was frustrating.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Yep, people need to understand that Nolan began his pro career in the ECHL because he wasn't good enough to play in Manchester. Then he put up 17 points in his first AHL season, only to come in this year and put up the same number of points in half the games... You really can't ask for faster development than that, and as soon as the Kings recognized that he was called up... Almost the second there was better options available Moreau and Hunter got demoted and replaced so I really don't get the hate for those guys around here. Plus it's not like Hunter was some grizzled old veteran that had been around for years... He's a 31 year old coming off major knee surgery signed as an extra piece on the 3rd or 4th line.
This is true, at least with me I'm talking more about the player in the topic, Moreau. There have been other players in the past few years that also maybe fit the bill. Hunter was an "older" player but not yet an "old" player yet.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. What an ******* I am. You have to respect, even though its not the smart thing to do, a guy who tries to play through his injury.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Looks like you are one of the few people to say this so far. I know there were plenty of other people who made similar comments (cough, herby, cough). If I sad something (don't think so) but that is pretty messed up. Guy had birdies flying around his head and everyone was calling him a baby.
That's what MEN do ... stand up and admit when they're wrong, and take the backlash ... Herby did it with Stoll, we'll see how long before it takes him to do it with Moreau.

While some people are saying Moreau should have been more forthcoming earlier, if you read the story in the link it really becomes clear and simple, the guy thought this might be his last shot at not only a Cup run but maybe being an NHL player, and an end to his life long dreams ... I know if I were in his shoes I would be hard pressed to make different choices than he did, he's been a warrior his whole career and wanted to try and go out on top, he doesn't blame anyone but himself, and in fact seems to show great respect and appreciation for the Kings for trying to give him that one last shot at it.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Sorry Buddy.

How was anyone supposed to know he was playing with a concussion, especially since he looked exactly as he did with Columbus the year before. It's not as if he was a good player who suddenly fell of the cliff.

I take back what I said (and trust me I was not the only one) about him not showing any character by not reporting to Manchester, since he apparently did report to Manchester. It did look extremely suspicious when he suddenly stopped playing from a concussion right as he was sent down to the AHL, without even playing a game for the Monarchs.

I again apologize for that part of the whole Moreau fiasco. I honestly thought he just quit and conveniently got a concussion so he wouldn't have to play in Manchester. I will no longer group him in with the ilk of Rob Blake, Ryan Smyth, Dan Cloutier and Sean Avery when discussing the jerks we have had on this team over the years.

A terrible player who had no business being in the NHL? Yup, but that is not his fault, that is on management and in particular the professional scouts. Moreau was given a contract offer and signed it. I don't blame him for that. Same with Hunter, these guys were just probably shocked anyone even offered them a chance, can't blame them for that.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

See Buddy ... Herby apologized ... kicked and beat the man while he was down and kicked sand in his face, but still

Old
06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. What an ******* I am. You have to respect, even though its not the smart thing to do, a guy who tries to play through his injury.
I'm not sure if I said anything specifically like that, but nice to know there was something to everything. Not that you want something like that to happen to a person though.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote