HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Where in the NHL is Jonathan Bernier (gonna land)?

Old
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
He's solid. But, I dont expect him to lead them through the playoffs. Hopefully Markstrom is ready sooner rather than later.
And what exactly has Bernier proven?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
And what exactly has Bernier proven?
I'm not even talking about Bernier?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:36 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post
How about jb for the night train....
I hope not. Bernier shouldn't be sent to a team that has another goalie who's got a long term contract. Besides that, they likely need someone older and more mentally solid as a backup for when Bryz melts down.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:04 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

As I was always expecting Quick to excel like this (well maybe not that amazing), I have always pinned Bernier to land as Broduers replacement in NJ.

Bernier was the top dog in the goalie department for prospects, now since he is DEFINITELY behind Quick, I'm definitely curious to see where he pans out.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
With Quick locked in for a decade plus, Bernier's gone within the next 12 months most likely.

When do you think LA deals him, and where do you think he's going to go?

I say one of New Jersey or Toronto as DL would likely want to move him out of the conference. If Toronto, I think it could be rather quickly, if New Jersey then I could see a mid-season deal, at the trade deadline, or even after the deadline. Likely what Broduer wants to do will dictate thinks from New Jersey's side.

Based on the returns of Lindback and Bobrovsky, LA, if they strictly want draft picks back, should be able to get a high 2nd/low 1st and another pick or two back as well, like a 3rd or 4th.

EDIT: Can a mod edit my brutal spelling in the title. Sorry about that
I'm gonna guess. Did you write "Jonathon"?

How about Washington? They've been dying for a franchise goalie for years now. It's what's keeping Ovie from at least reaching the Final.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:22 PM
damacles1156

I am going to say Johnny B doesn't get traded till at least the trade deadline.

Someones Goalie is not going to work out this coming season.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I am going to say Johnny B doesn't get traded till at least the trade deadline.

Someones Goalie is not going to work out this coming season.
that would suck, his value would be at the lowest then.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:31 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post

How about Washington? They've been dying for a franchise goalie for years now. It's what's keeping Ovie from at least reaching the Final.
They're invested in Braden Holtby.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Whiskeypete

OTT
- C Anderson 31+ already and emerging, but limited track record as a #1
- Auld 31+ limited NHL experience and aging
- B Bishop who? less experience than Bernier at the NHL level
- R Lehner prospect with less exp than Bishop
- very weak pool of goal prospects and two aging vets in net

the why?
OTT on paper has a big question when it comes to who is going to be in net for them in 2-5 years and beyond. the two vets will likely be on the downside or retired. the two kids are young and have less than 10 games of NHL experience at this point.

OTT has depth at the forward position at the prospect level. i didn't check on what picks they have next summer.

OTT is in the east and as far from LA as possible

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Bernier to NJ still makes a lot of sense. NJ just can't really afford a #1 pick since they have to get rid of 1 in the next 2 years for the 1st Kovalchuk contract. I just don't know anything about NJs prospect depth and if they have young wingers that they can afford to trade. If they lock up Parise long term, they may be willing to let a young promising winger go in a trade.

Brodeur will probably sign a 1 year deal and split a lot of the regular season with his backup. Great chance for Bernier to get some starts and learn from one of the best goalies in NHL history.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
OTT

the why?
OTT on paper has a big question when it comes to who is going to be in net for them in 2-5 years and beyond. the two vets will likely be on the downside or retired. the two kids are young and have less than 10 games of NHL experience at this point.

OTT has depth at the forward position at the prospect level. i didn't check on what picks they have next summer.

OTT is in the east and as far from LA as possible
Pretty sure they're confident in Lehner, he's only 20 and has been in the AHL the past two years and won a Calder Cup already, don't see a fit.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Bernier to NJ still makes a lot of sense. NJ just can't really afford a #1 pick since they have to get rid of 1 in the next 2 years for the 1st Kovalchuk contract. I just don't know anything about NJs prospect depth and if they have young wingers that they can afford to trade. If they lock up Parise long term, they may be willing to let a young promising winger go in a trade.

Brodeur will probably sign a 1 year deal and split a lot of the regular season with his backup. Great chance for Bernier to get some starts and learn from one of the best goalies in NHL history.
If they could get Tedenby from NJ that'd be nice, he's on the smaller side 5'10" but he's a very skilled LW.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
So Holtby got Washington to game 7 of the 2nd round but you're not convinced he'll be a starter but are that Bernier will be? Makes sense, I suppose..
Goalies get hot and then crash. Look what Neuvirth did last playoffs for the Caps. .912 save percentage, 2.34 GAA, one shutout. He had a fantastic playoffs all things considered. Buuuut he plays this year and he is a back up.

Young goalies having ONE good playoff outing does not make you god. Bernier has proven more in his regular season starts. He as AT LEAST proven that he has the skills on a consistent basis. Holtby might just have been running on adrenaline and got hot at the right time. He might come in next year attempting to be the starter and have a run like Neuvirth did.

13-13-5 .903 save perecentage. 2.82 gaa. Not starting numbers at all.

How about Varlamov? He had a similar story.

A fantastic 08-09 post-season. Then a lackluster 09-10 regular season. Both of those guys were considered "The new Capitals No. 1" after those runs, and both crumbled under the pressure of every day NHL goaltending.

You're telling me that that organization is now FULLY INVESTED in a guy who has just 35 games of NHL experience spread over two years just because of a hot playoff run? That's pretty ****ing stupid if they are.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:29 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Last I looked he was playing well and took them to playoffs (Then got injured)

He is cheap and effective to hold the fort while Markstrom gets his feet wet
Well they're the front runners for Luongo, so I'd assume they are in the market for a goaltender

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:31 AM
AKAY47
Philly West Fan

The one team that should be interested is the Edmonton Oilers. Package Bernier and of our dmen (Martinez, Hickey, Muzzin?) for someone like Gagner or Pajaarvi

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
The one team that should be interested is the Edmonton Oilers. Package Bernier and of our dmen (Martinez, Hickey, Muzzin?) for someone like Gagner or Pajaarvi
You're asking Tambellini to focus on goaltending and defense. Is he even capable of that?

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:48 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Goalies get hot and then crash. Look what Neuvirth did last playoffs for the Caps. .912 save percentage, 2.34 GAA, one shutout. He had a fantastic playoffs all things considered. Buuuut he plays this year and he is a back up.

Young goalies having ONE good playoff outing does not make you god. Bernier has proven more in his regular season starts. He as AT LEAST proven that he has the skills on a consistent basis. Holtby might just have been running on adrenaline and got hot at the right time. He might come in next year attempting to be the starter and have a run like Neuvirth did.

13-13-5 .903 save perecentage. 2.82 gaa. Not starting numbers at all.

How about Varlamov? He had a similar story.

A fantastic 08-09 post-season. Then a lackluster 09-10 regular season. Both of those guys were considered "The new Capitals No. 1" after those runs, and both crumbled under the pressure of every day NHL goaltending.

You're telling me that that organization is now FULLY INVESTED in a guy who has just 35 games of NHL experience spread over two years just because of a hot playoff run? That's pretty ****ing stupid if they are.
But they wouldn't be stupid to invest in Bernier who has 47 games of NHL experience?

Old
06-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
The only real options I see are NJ, Toronto, Edmonton. Then maybe NYI and Chicago. The rest have re-upped goaltenders, or traded good assets for young goaltenders already.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
But they wouldn't be stupid to invest in Bernier who has 47 games of NHL experience?
Your point is worth noting. However, Bernier has proven he can at least be a consistent back up. Whereas Holtby has yet to do so.

He has had ONE hot playoff run and that's it.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
damacles1156

I just hope Johnny B ends up in the EAST.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:08 AM
funky

In my mind and in order

1. New Jersey - no explanation needed

Then a gap

2 Edmonton - have all the offense, this with Dubnyk solidifies goaltending, just need defense

3 Toronto - if Burke looses out on the Lou sweepstakes, maybe

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:20 AM
McSorley 33

Why would we even talk to the Oilers? **** them.

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:46 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Your point is worth noting. However, Bernier has proven he can at least be a consistent back up. Whereas Holtby has yet to do so.

He has had ONE hot playoff run and that's it.
And Bernier has had zero playoff games played. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but I just think you're putting too much into Bernier without giving Holtby any credit, they have Neuvirth and Holtby, why would they need Bernier when he has just as much or less proven as them? Just seems redundant for Washington to invest in Bernier, I think NJ would be a better option for Jonathan.

Again, not saying you're wrong, just that I don't see a reason for Washington to get Bernier.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:56 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post
Why would we even talk to the Oilers? **** them.
Why not? If we're talking about a players trade, they have what we need. And if it's picks, barring a turnaround which could happen, they're going to be good picks. Even if it's a team DL doesn't like, it's his job to explore the best options and they would be a damn good option.

I actually don't think Bernier would stabilize Edmonton at all. If anything I think he's found himself prone to lose concentration during adversity which there is a lot of in Edmonton. The issues with their defense aren't just issues with defensemen, they have forwards who have to learn how to keep the puck out of the net too, and that takes time.

He'd be another questionmark, thrown in with a bunch of them in a city where he'd be under massive pressure.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post

I wrote Janathan, lol.

As for Washington, I'd give Holtby a shot next year before I looked elsewhere. Kid earned that right by saving Washington in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
that would suck, his value would be at the lowest then.
Unless they traded him for draft picks. At the deadline, draft picks have their lowest value and Bernier would easily fetch a 1st - plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
OTT
You under estimate the upside of Lehner, and also Bishop to some degree, while Anderson is also signed for two more years (I believe) so Bernier would be a backup until then most likely. Ottawa is very well set in net actually.

Quote:

Not fully invested, no, but I think Holtby has earned the right to have a shot at being the guy in Washington.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote