HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
  #226
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
I view Nick Leddy as a McDonagh-lite. Has good offensive skills and instincts like McDonagh, about equal to DZ on the defensive end.
McDonagh is light years ahead of NL defensively.

Offensively and defensively Del Z did more with less and is a year younger than Leddy.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
  #227
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,731
vCash: 500
Leddy is 190 pounds. He needs to add weight. Skjei is a big boy. 205 pounds as a 18 year old. Bouwmeester type of player. Big player. Excellent skater. Bouwmeester put up better numbers in FLA than in CAL. Not very physical. Great skater. Good defensively. Not a great offensive player.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:17 AM
  #228
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Leddy is 190 pounds. He needs to add weight. Skjei is a big boy. 205 pounds as a 18 year old. Bouwmeester type of player. Big player. Excellent skater. Bouwmeester put up better numbers in FLA than in CAL. Not very physical. Great skater. Good defensively. Not a great offensive player.
You had me cheering, then ya lost me when you mentioned Bouwmeester. Thats sad to me.

IMO, and I know its early, I doubt this kid ever plays for us. Trade bait. Someone has to go eventually, lots of projected top 4 Dmen on the club, farm and system. Hashtag we need forwards

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
  #229
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 2,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Leddy is 190 pounds. He needs to add weight. Skjei is a big boy. 205 pounds as a 18 year old. Bouwmeester type of player. Big player. Excellent skater. Bouwmeester put up better numbers in FLA than in CAL. Not very physical. Great skater. Good defensively. Not a great offensive player.
Bouwmeester, could skate with a carton of eggs and not break them. One of the more frustrating players I ever watched. He had more natural athletic ability in his big toe than most have in their entire body.

He was looked as a leader on Florida and I used to watch the bench and he would just sit in the corner by himself. I got seats right next to the bench. It looked like he was just going through the motions half of the time. I know some people are not vocal but he was different, like he didn't give a cr@p.

In a sense he was a bigtime waste of talent, he should be a top 5 dman in the league easy. Honestly it just looked like he had no heart.

Just my observations over the years he played down here.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:52 PM
  #230
we want cup
Ants in the Pants
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 11,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Bouwmeester, could skate with a carton of eggs and not break them. One of the more frustrating players I ever watched. He had more natural athletic ability in his big toe than most have in their entire body.

He was looked as a leader on Florida and I used to watch the bench and he would just sit in the corner by himself. I got seats right next to the bench. It looked like he was just going through the motions half of the time. I know some people are not vocal but he was different, like he didn't give a cr@p.

In a sense he was a bigtime waste of talent, he should be a top 5 dman in the league easy. Honestly it just looked like he had no heart.

Just my observations over the years he played down here.
His skating always reminds me of Niedermayer. Effortless. Just doesn't have nearly the same levels of smarts or effort. If he had worked harder earlier in his career on learning to use the ice and get the puck to the right places, he could have been great.

Not to mention his lack of physicality is also a problem. I'm not saying he needs to throe bone-crushers or anything, but a man with his size and quickness should be much more effective at stopping forwards along the boards.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:58 PM
  #231
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,731
vCash: 500
The Bouwmeester comparison is based on the skating ability for a big guy. You can't deny Bouwmeester isn't a great skater.

What is Skjei worth in a trade?

Del Zotto can get the Rangers the forward they lack. Skjei is a prospect.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  #232
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Skjei, meanwhile, was the most impressive player on the ice Wednesday, along with forward Oscar Lindberg, who scored twice off rebounds and will spend next season in Sweden. Goalie Scott Stajcer also looked sharp while flashing a quick glove hand.

Skjei on several occasions played a level above the competition: He squashed a forecheck behind his own net, settled his side and made a smart pass to begin a rush … He weaved around two forwards on the defensive sideboards and dished the puck out of the zone … He made a steady, swift move around a forward in the offensive zone and pushed forward to create a chance … He used his body to effectively fend off the opposition.

Of course, it’s only one day, but Rangers director of player personnel Gordie Clark spoke glowingly of Skjei and of the U.S. development program where he honed his skills. Mark Messier, the Captain, was on hand and commented on Skjei’s impressive composure.


Afterwards, Skjei was asked if there were an NHL defenseman he emulates:

“I’d say the most similar would be Ryan McDonagh,” Skjei said. “We’re both left-handed shots and skate well. That’s a guy I hope to play like one day.”

And think about that – McDonagh, the first-pair defenseman Skjei looks up to, is only 23 years old.

The future is bright in New York.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...ylan-mcilrath-

Brady left camp after today's scrimmages. He has summer school classes at Minnesota to take.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:34 PM
  #233
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,846
vCash: 500
Sounds like he had a good couple of days of skating which is always good for a kid like that. I hope he just continues to develop and fill out. It sounds like the Rangers got a kid who can help the team in the future as McDonagh and Staal are really the only d-men who can even slightly carry the puck up the ice with any sort of efficiency.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
  #234
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
 
The Amity Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 500
He sounds more and more like Jay Bouwmeester the more and more I hear.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
  #235
YetAnotherNorwegian
Registered User
 
YetAnotherNorwegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
So much for you guys getting rid of all the Norwegians. Minnesota-born and with that last name I give it about three weeks before some Norwegian tabloid journalist digs up some great great grandfather that left some godforsaken west coast valley in 1855, and makes it a big deal --> cue journalist on every press conference being on Torts' ass about a roster spot...

YetAnotherNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:39 PM
  #236
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,731
vCash: 500
Jim Cerny chat

Quote:
Jim Cerny: Zucc: plain and simple, Rangers chose best available player, in their opinion...no matter who you drafted this year with 28th overall selection, that player--forward or defenseman---is not helping you at the NHL level for another 3 years or so...but for argument's sake that best available player could also become a trade bait to fill that hole at forward you discussed before he could even reach the NHL...or Brady Skjei's presence within the organization---even as he developes at U of Minnesota---could make it more possible for Glen to trade a d-man further up the food chain to get a forward beacuse team knows Skjei's on the way...you have to look at bigger picture when you draft

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:22 AM
  #237
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
And 2013 will be the year of Jones and MacKinnon. The son of former NBA pro Popeye Jones, Seth is a monster blueliner who excels at every aspect of the game and already measures in at 6-foot-3, 200 pounds. Raised in Texas and Colorado, Jones has played the past two seasons with the U.S. national team development program, where he was constantly at the forefront of his team’s success. This year, he formed an excellent pairing with New York Rangers first-rounder Brady Skjei, who went 28th overall in Pittsburgh.

“He’s a great skating defenseman, moves the puck really well,” Jones said. “His reads are really good, he makes the game easy. We had a deal where if he jumped into a play I would stay back. There was never any mix-ups with that, just great chemistry.”
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...aft-class.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
  #238
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User
 
LittleKev6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middletown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
I love that the Rangers are building around great skaters. Kreider, McDonagh, Hagelin, Stepan, Skjei, and Nieves. In today's NHL you don't stand a chance without an ability to skate.

Also, love that we our drafting Americans. This could be because I am American., but I also feel that Americans are more willing to follow behind Torts' theory of a shot blocking system. I'm not sure how much of a shot blocker Skjei is, but I'm hoping that over the next couple years we can transition out of a shot blocking team to a possessive team.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:26 AM
  #239
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,932
vCash: 500
If gong forward NYR " system "'is to collapse down and block shots I don't see them getting to the promised land .
I'll take this style of hockey for a playoff run but for a full season unless NYR have so much depth subjecting the skill players and puck movers they have to the 6 goalie defense will once again take it's toll .
LAK one it with depth up the middle , scoring on all four lines, elite goaltending and a stud off D man dominating on both sides of the puck .
Do you really want to see CK become a puck shield or do you wanna see him race through all three zones with speed and finish .
NYR need speed on all four lines and balanced scoring . If they get that they can allow Henke to stop the puck

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:52 AM
  #240
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
I love that the Rangers are building around great skaters. Kreider, McDonagh, Hagelin, Stepan, Skjei, and Nieves. In today's NHL you don't stand a chance without an ability to skate.

Also, love that we our drafting Americans. This could be because I am American., but I also feel that Americans are more willing to follow behind Torts' theory of a shot blocking system. I'm not sure how much of a shot blocker Skjei is, but I'm hoping that over the next couple years we can transition out of a shot blocking team to a possessive team.
I agree with your sentiments, but Stepan is nowhere close to being a great skater. His lack of mobility has a lot to do with his inability to produce consistently.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
  #241
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 2,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I agree with your sentiments, but Stepan is nowhere close to being a great skater. His lack of mobility has a lot to do with his inability to produce consistently.
51 points in his 2nd season at the ripe old age of 21, isn't consistent? He can certainly stand to improve his skating but what were you expecting in his 2nd season? 70 points?

Stepan isn't a superstar player.

Edit: Only 3 players his age or younger were in the top 30: Tavares, Karlsson and Seguin. We can all agree he isn't in that class. Then from 60 down it was Ryan O'Reilly, Landeskog, RNH and Taylor Hall. In the top 90 that's 7 players that out produced Stepan at his age or younger. The only guy that wasn't a top 10 pick was O'Reilly, who was a 2nd round pick as well. Stepan is just fine in the development process.


Last edited by Miamipuck: 06-29-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:36 AM
  #242
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
51 points in his 2nd season at the ripe old age of 21, isn't consistent? He can improve his skating but what were you expecting in his 2nd season? 70 points?

Stepan isn't a superstar player.
consisntently doesn't mean he can score 40 points to start the season then slowly produce 10 more... he was on pace for 80 points at one point, wasn't he? (and i'm pretty sure like 246 after his first nhl game ... if he was consistent he would score what he was on pace to score be it 50 or 246.

that said i think stepan gets more bashing than he should. kid's gonna be a stud. he was on pace for that 80 playing with gaborik and i believe hagelin. his playoff performance was abysmal, but he's a 21 year old kid (22 now maybe?). we have nothing to worry about... he's def not the skater we had hoped, but anybody can improve that if boyle did.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:49 AM
  #243
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 2,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
consisntently doesn't mean he can score 40 points to start the season then slowly produce 10 more... he was on pace for 80 points at one point, wasn't he? (and i'm pretty sure like 246 after his first nhl game ... if he was consistent he would score what he was on pace to score be it 50 or 246.

that said i think stepan gets more bashing than he should. kid's gonna be a stud. he was on pace for that 80 playing with gaborik and i believe hagelin. his playoff performance was abysmal, but he's a 21 year old kid (22 now maybe?). we have nothing to worry about... he's def not the skater we had hoped, but anybody can improve that if boyle did.

Gotcha, scoring for non super stars, in the NHL has to be a straight line process to be considered consistent.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
  #244
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You had me cheering, then ya lost me when you mentioned Bouwmeester. Thats sad to me.

IMO, and I know its early, I doubt this kid ever plays for us. Trade bait. Someone has to go eventually, lots of projected top 4 Dmen on the club, farm and system. Hashtag we need forwards
Eh, could be. He won't be ready for at least 3 years in all likelihood and who knows by then what might happen. Injuries, trades, busts, etc.

Also, Bouwmeester is a very good defenseman at several things, but has big holes in his game making that $6+ mill cap hit pretty ugly. He'd be considered pretty good if he wasn't so hyped in his draft and if he wasn't paid such a ridiculous contract

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
  #245
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Eh, could be. He won't be ready for at least 3 years in all likelihood and who knows by then what might happen. Injuries, trades, busts, etc.

Also, Bouwmeester is a very good defenseman at several things, but has big holes in his game making that $6+ mill cap hit pretty ugly. He'd be considered pretty good if he wasn't so hyped in his draft and if he wasn't paid such a ridiculous contract
I think guys who skate like this tend to standout so much more at that age that some tend to look past everything else. Maybe this kid is the exception and he matures into something more. Not thrilled he's going to Minny but he has real passion for that team and I'm sure he'll be a leader and a top player there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
  #246
Superstar Carwash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Gotcha, scoring for non super stars, in the NHL has to be a straight line process to be considered consistent.
The whole definition of consistency is being able to do something at a steady pace. If he scores 50 points in 10 games and goes on and score 0 for another 70, he's not consistent. I don't bash Stepan or anything, I like him. It's a pretty much well known fact that the sophomore year is hard and a big problem for young players is consistency. I'm sure he'll be fine down the line.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
  #247
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,846
vCash: 500
For those who know more about Brady than I do, how would he compare to say, someone like John Moore, drafted by Columbus a few years ago.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
  #248
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 2,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
The whole definition of consistency is being able to do something at a steady pace. If he scores 50 points in 10 games and goes on and score 0 for another 70, he's not consistent. I don't bash Stepan or anything, I like him. It's a pretty much well known fact that the sophomore year is hard and a big problem for young players is consistency. I'm sure he'll be fine down the line.
Gee thanks, didn't realize that. However, I just watched a different player than you during the year because during the regular season he looked fine to me.

How about this, his game log is pretty consistent. Here in 10 game stretches the amount of games he had a point or more. This is a ridiculous exersize as it is just point totaling but shows he was fairly consistent.

Games # w/ point +
1-10 3
11-20 5
21-30 6
31-40 4
41-50 4
51-60 4
61-70 5
71-80 3

I don't see an inconsistent pattern there.

Back on topic...........Skjei


Last edited by Miamipuck: 06-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
  #249
SPG
Registered User
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utica, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Gee thanks, didn't realize that. However, I just watched a different player than you during the year because during the regular season he looked fine to me.

How about this, his game log is pretty consistent. Here in 10 game stretches the amount of games he had a point or more. This is a ridiculous exersize as it is just point totaling but shows he was fairly consistent.

Games # w/ point +
1-10 3
11-20 5
21-30 6
31-40 4
41-50 4
51-60 4
61-70 5
71-80 3

I don't see an inconsistent pattern there.

Back on topic...........Skjei
Hmm... looks like the definition of consistency to me.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:26 PM
  #250
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
For those who know more about Brady than I do, how would he compare to say, someone like John Moore, drafted by Columbus a few years ago.
I think the expectation at the time he was drafted was that Moore was going to be a bit more offensive oriented. I don't think Skjei is really seen as having a higher offensive ceiling (or at least he shouldn't be seen that way).

Skjei also figures to be significantly bigger than Moore is at this stage in his development. Probably in the 220-230 range, to go along with his 6'3/6'4 frame.

Skjei is a two-way defenseman who's biggest strength is going to be his ability to read and react. His skating may lead some people to place unfair expectations on him, but if they appreciate him for what he is capable of, playing sound defense, they will not be disappointed.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.