HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plan B

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
  #26
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,058
vCash: 500
I'll be curious to see when the big names sign...will they ink a deal right away on Sunday or take a couple days and weigh their options? If Suter seems like a sure thing, you'd have to imagine that signing happens right away sometime on Sunday. If it happens a couple days later, it obviously wasn't a sure thing and he wanted to test the market.

Dumb question...is 12:00 a.m. or p.m. Sunday for the start of free agency?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:47 AM
  #27
Ricelund
We like our team.
 
Ricelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I'll be curious to see when the big names sign...will they ink a deal right away on Sunday or take a couple days and weigh their options? If Suter seems like a sure thing, you'd have to imagine that signing happens right away sometime on Sunday. If it happens a couple days later, it obviously wasn't a sure thing and he wanted to test the market.

Dumb question...is 12:00 a.m. or p.m. Sunday for the start of free agency?
It's noon on Sunday.


Last edited by Ricelund: 06-29-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:49 AM
  #28
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
As excited as I am for noon on Sunday I get the feeling that the NHL is moving more towards a fad where players don't sign immediately as the FA period opens. In the old days so many players would literally sign the moment FA opened. But I think we're going to see more and more situations like Kovalchuk and Richards where it's a bit drawn out.

Either way, we should see a pretty good chunk of players sign Sunday afternoon. Maybe not all the high profile guys but a chunk for sure.

Unsportsmanlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
  #29
last_sd
Registered User
 
last_sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 500
Babcock said we have until plan D?
I wonder what they are
Plan A: sign Suter + Parise/Semin
Plan B: sign one of Suter/Parise/Semin
Plan C: Look for a hockey trade partner
Plan D: cave and pay w/e Hudler and Samuelsson asks for

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:20 AM
  #30
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,409
vCash: 500
I would like to see something like this:

Defense:
Plan A: Ryan Suter
Plan B: Jason Garrison (assuming the price is decent)
Plan C: Carlo Colaicovo
Plan D: Bryce Salvador

Offense:
Plan A: Zach Parise
Plan B: Alex Semin
Plan C: Shane Doan (not sure how available he is)
Plan D: Olli Jokinien

At forward if we don't sign anyone I'm fine with expanded roles for younger guys, but I think we absolutely need to add a defenseman who can PK.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:27 AM
  #31
last_sd
Registered User
 
last_sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
I would like to see something like this:

Defense:
Plan A: Ryan Suter
Plan B: Jason Garrison (assuming the price is decent)
Plan C: Carlo Colaicovo
Plan D: Bryce Salvador

Offense:
Plan A: Zach Parise
Plan B: Alex Semin
Plan C: Shane Doan (not sure how available he is)
Plan D: Olli Jokinien

At forward if we don't sign anyone I'm fine with expanded roles for younger guys, but I think we absolutely need to add a defenseman who can PK.
After plan B it is probably better to look for a trading partner for Defensive side.
Offense I agree with you. If we can't sign Semin/Parise might as well let the kids play more

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
  #32
crashman
Registered User
 
crashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
After plan B it is probably better to look for a trading partner for Defensive side.
Offense I agree with you. If we can't sign Semin/Parise might as well let the kids play more
I don't think they'll give up that easy.

Just talking about offense, if they missed out on Parise, Semin, Doan, Penner, Pyatt, Gaustad, Samuelsson (as cheap, depth signing), Moen, Moss, Pyatt, Parenteau, Prust...then I say just let the kids play. But there's no way Holland will sit on on all that cap space unless he explores every option to improve the team.


Last edited by crashman: 06-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.
crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:50 AM
  #33
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
Plan C is the lottery pick option?

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:59 AM
  #34
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,174
vCash: 500
This is plan B.


WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
  #35
theYman
Backboard #8 realgud
 
theYman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indagloryhole
Country: United States
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 500
Don;t worry Parise will be a Devil next year.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...nt-pat-brisson This would be the ticket.

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
  #36
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 500
Plan A
-Suter and Parise

Plan B
-Suter and Semin

Plan C
-Suter and Nash

Plan D
-Trade for a top 2 dman and any of those 3 forwards listed in plans a, b and c


Last edited by Zetterberg4Captain: 06-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
  #37
sureWhyNot
Registered User
 
sureWhyNot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
Yeah, there's no need for anybody to hit a panic button even if we don't land Parise or Suter (I've really lost hope of landing either personally). I think this is a year for our young guys to make a splash even at the risk of missing the playoffs next year, and see who's available next July.
No offense but this is the same thought pattern we have run with the last couple years. Years we have seen less and less playoff success.

There is most definitely a need to be worried if we don't sign a top tier defenseman. This is fact.

The salary cap money we have to spend is abundant, to sit by and do nothing would be irresponsible. "Hoping" for a better result then last year with a weaker team is fine if you are doing it, but reprehensible if our front office is.

The "market prices were to high" argument is not valid. I am sick of hearing it. The cap has gone up every year, so increasing player value is on scale.

sureWhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:55 PM
  #38
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureWhyNot View Post
No offense but this is the same thought pattern we have run with the last couple years. Years we have seen less and less playoff success.

There is most definitely a need to be worried if we don't sign a top tier defenseman. This is fact.

The salary cap money we have to spend is abundant, to sit by and do nothing would be irresponsible. "Hoping" for a better result then last year with a weaker team is fine if you are doing it, but reprehensible if our front office is.

The "market prices were to high" argument is not valid. I am sick of hearing it. The cap has gone up every year, so increasing player value is on scale.
thankyou...

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
  #39
sepster
Registered User
 
sepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North of the 'D"
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theYman View Post
Don;t worry Parise will be a Devil next year.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...nt-pat-brisson This would be the ticket.
I, actually, think that makes Parise MORE likely to get out of there. Elite goalie and face of the franchise that took you to the Cup finals leaves? That would be the same situation as the Devils moving Kovalchuk i.e. an indication to Parise that the Devils won't be able to keep a talented team around him going forward.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
  #40
Maize and Blue
Registered User
 
Maize and Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
I like to think we can sign a couple of the top UFA's like everyone else here. But, if we can't get: Sutter,Parise,Semin,Doan. I don't feel there is not much top end talent beyond that.
A couple of marginal guys i'd look at on SHORT deals if they came at what their fair market value should be and not what this summer is turning out to be are:
Jagr,Kubina,Garrison,Parenteau,Huselius,Dvorak, and Hecht

If not any of that. Resign Hudler for the 4mil he wants (overpay!). Then i would prefer the strengthen the bottom lines through subtractions and signing/or trades. Add players like Gaustad,Prust,Burish,Moen,Moss. Remove Mursak,Emmerton,Abdelkader. If you can get something for them great, if not Oh-well!

Maize and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
  #41
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,595
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize and Blue View Post
I like to think we can sign a couple of the top UFA's like everyone else here. But, if we can't get: Sutter,Parise,Semin,Doan. I don't feel there is not much top end talent beyond that.
A couple of marginal guys i'd look at on SHORT deals if they came at what their fair market value should be and not what this summer is turning out to be are:
Jagr,Kubina,Garrison,Parenteau,Huselius,Dvorak, and Hecht

If not any of that. Resign Hudler for the 4mil he wants (overpay!). Then i would prefer the strengthen the bottom lines through subtractions and signing/or trades. Add players like Gaustad,Prust,Burish,Moen,Moss. Remove Mursak,Emmerton,Abdelkader. If you can get something for them great, if not Oh-well!
These three will not be below market value. Garrison will only be a value contract for Vancouver in my opinion. I would still pay him above the 4 million I think he should get but only slightly no more than 4.5 cannot pay him like Kronwall.

Jagr is a mercenary lets call him what he is. Every time he has had an option to make more money he has taken it. So by all means if you want Jagr offer 5 cents more than the next guy. Much like Nick Saban I think he would betray his own mother if you offered him a C-note.

PA has been a career minor league guy he needs to make this contract count and is coming off substantial numbers. You have to actually believe the Islanders offered more money than we are going to and he still wants to hear his other offers.

Huselius is an intriguing name that hasn't gotten a lot of air time around here. He might come in at a reasonable price and be like an Ian White steal of a signing.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:16 PM
  #42
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Huselius is an intriguing name that hasn't gotten a lot of air time around here. He might come in at a reasonable price and be like an Ian White steal of a signing.
Huselius would be interesting, but his injury troubles of late has to make you pause. Definitely not a bad fall-back plan or supplementary signing, though.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
  #43
Kiddington
heehats
 
Kiddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
Huselius hasn't been healthy in ages, and he's not all that young anymore either (33, soon to be 34; I mean, that's not terribly old or anything, but he's getting up there).

If he's healthy, and came dirt cheap on a 1-year contract, it might be something to consider. And hey, better him than Sammy part 2 at least.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:33 PM
  #44
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,830
vCash: 528
I'd take Sammy 100 times over Huselius. Sammy is gritty two-way player, Huselius is nothing but floating PP specialist. And another lefty.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
  #45
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,707
vCash: 500
If Plan A, maybe even B, goes to hell and we were to pay a plugger one year for $3-4M I'd take Jagr. PAP will get paid somewhere else, Samuelsson will no doubt ask for terms wherever he signs = do not want, and Huselius doesn't fit in anywhere.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:33 PM
  #46
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
This is plan B.

I like that plan.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.