HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrison or Luongo

View Poll Results: You must pick one - sign Garrison or add Luongo.
Add Luongo 29 42.65%
Re-sign Garrison (5 years - $25 million) 39 57.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Slick Cat

vCash: 500
Let's see, a young stud first line defenseman with a booming shot who logs tons of ice time and can cover the other team's star players

Or

An aging primadona, overpaid goalie, who was booed out of his current team, choked under pressure and also left our team years ago on bad terms.

No brainer here

Old
06-27-2012, 09:14 PM
CanadianPantherFan

IF Luongo is traded with Upshall and/or Jovo added into the deal, and we don't lose a Top 6 or so prospect...easy decision.

Garrison takes too much money away from having a forward up front. Petrovic/Ellerby can slide into that final Dman spot. Sign UFA Dman to play in the Top 4 if need be for half the cost of Garrison. Simply put: money needs to be spent on a top line forward.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Just wondering, why don't we sign Sergei Samsonov to a 1-2 year contract?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:21 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Just wondering, why don't we sign Sergei Samsonov to a 1-2 year contract?
Because he sucks. Plus, I don't think he even plays in the NHL anymore.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:51 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I actually forgot that Samsonov was a Panther in the '10-'11 season for 20 games.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Haj

Garrison at 5 million.

How is he not worth 5 million ? He is good defensively, averages 23 minutes per game, and he was 3rd in goal scoring for defensemen.

Who replaces his shot on the Power Play ? Who knows how many more goals we scored on the PP because of PK committing to block Garrison's shot.

Who moves up to play on the first pairing ?

I don't see where all that production is going to come from at D from our current roster.

If a UFA has to be signed to play on the first pairing its going to cost almost as much as keeping Garrison. Matt Carle, Filip Kuba, Sheldon Souray, and Sami Salo. So lets say you sign one of them for 3 million. What are you going to do with that extra 2 million ? Is it worth downgrading from Garrison to one of those guys ?

Last edited by Haj: 06-27-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old
06-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Garrison at 5 million.

How is he not worth 5 million ? He is good defensively, averages 23 minutes per game, and he was 3rd in goal scoring for defensemen.

Who replaces his shot on the Power Play ? Who knows how many more goals we scored on the PP because of PK committing to block Garrison's shot.

I don't see where all that production is going to come from at D from our current roster.

If a UFA has to be signed to play on the first pairing its going to cost almost as much as keeping Garrison. Matt Carle, Filip Kuba, Sheldon Souray, and Sami Salo. So lets say you sign one of them for 3 million. What are you going to do with that extra 2 million ? Is it worth downgrading from Garrison to one of those guys ?
Who's to say Garrison repeats his performance? If he does resign here in Fla I will be very happy but honestly does one good season really equal 5+mil a year?

I think either way, it's a gamble. Either Garrison at 5+mil, or Loungo at 6+ mil. It's either sink or swim. I am more worried about Tallon upgrading our offense then anything else. I think our goaltending would be okay for next season without Luongo,Theo, Marky,and UFA goalie fill in. As I also think our D would be okay without Garrison, Ellerby,Petrovic, or UFA.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:03 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Garrison at 5 million.

It's to hard to tell at this point because as good as Garrison was last year, we really don't know how good he'll be next season which is why signing him for 5 million is a gamble. Thanks to that Feaster fool, he may have set the bar at 5 million with his signing of Wideman.

Old
06-28-2012, 02:27 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Garrison at 5 million.

i think the hesitancy to give Garrison 5 million comes from the fact that alot (if not most) think this season was an aberration (aka: a fluke)

Garrison has a bomb of a shot, no doubt, but he isn't a particularly skilled defensman in any other offensive facets of the game. His absolute and only purpose on the powerplay was to shoot. He's not a good passer (no vision). He's not a good puck-controller

most of his goals came in the first half of the season because, basically no one knew who the hell Jason Garrison was. once word got around, his production really tailed off as teams keyed in on him and his shot. at the end of the year he wasn't even on the first PP. Samuelsson was. and on the second unit, he was a complete non-factor without Campbell feeding him one-timers. Kulikov (a pretty good defensman in his own right) wasn't coming close to feeding him like Soupy did.

if you were guaranteed to get 15+ goals every year from him, sure, you could make the argument that Garrison is worth 5 mil. but if you're not, you're talking about a solid but pretty unspectacular defensman here, definitely not a 5+ mil player.

to answer the original question - it all depends on what we're trading to get Luongo. If it's a terrible contract (aka: Jovo) and nothing else worth of significance (no top prospects, no useful roster players) - then I'd rather have Luongo. Say what you want - but he's still an elite goalie and 5.33 cap hit for that is pretty good value, ESPECIALLY if you can get rid of an albatross of a contract like Jovo's in the process.

If the Canucks want any prospect of significance, and we're not dumping Jovo - I'd rather have Garrison. I still think Upshall can be a good player for us. Overpaid, but not like Jovo is.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I look at these 2 guys like assets still. One you can buy high and hope he continues to pan out, the other you can buy low and hope he can return to elite form. At the end of the day, I decided based on if I could move the asset later on if they didnt work out. My feeling is that Garrison would be much easier to trade if he didnt exactly live up to the $5x5 he's gonna get one way or another than moving Luongo even if he returns to form with that long term contract. I hope thats what Tallon realizes too and maybe increases his offer a bit so its something Garrison can agree to ($4M for 3 yrs is fair to both sides IMO)

Old
06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 0
I hope Tallon stays away from the UFA d-men, they're all about to get paid big time.

Rather lose picks/prospects/roster players for a guy like Hjalmarsson, than overpay some 2nd/3rd pairing guy from UFA and still regret it 5 years later.

IMO, it's not so much about the money that Garrison is asking, but the uncertainty of if he's worth it long-term with all these d-men prospects (Robak, Petrovic, Mattheson and Guds & Kuli getting better minutes) coming up. One or two years at 5? Cool. But no way is it worth the risk to give him 5x5.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Garrison for sure! Don't want to go near that Luongo contract!

Old
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

But sadly I don't think Garrison is coming back.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:05 AM
jakethesnake23

Find it hard to believe this is a debate. Full disclosure; I defended Luongo after the playoffs last year. Thought he was getting ridden very hard. But hes a good goalie, and played his ass of for the Panthers when he played here...

BUT HE IS SIGNED UNTIL 42!!!

Are you kidding? Who in their right mind would want that? And dont we have that demi-God in the minors right now. What's his name... that Jacob kid. Have we all forgotten about him? We moan about Jovos and Upshall contracts, but Louis is 3 times longer at a higher price. Am I missing something here?

Old
06-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Would it have been better if I had instead said, "I can't understand the opinions of you people sometimes."

I didn't mean to make a personal swipe, and I know you're not questioning my credibility, but the Tallon comment just didn't sit with me well.

In any case, the way I see it is this: Losing Garrison harms our team more than taking on Luongo improves it. Both on the ice and with the salary cap. It's as simple as that.
It's all good man. I disagree with the bolded part, but that's alright. We'll see how it all shakes out in the coming days. It should be interesting regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Another way of looking at it is Tallon is paying a 36, 37 and 38yo Jovo $4,150,000. Garrison would be getting $5,000,000 for years 27,28,29,30 and 31. Which would be the better contract? As I told George Richards and he agreed with me, a very poor case can be argued that Ed Jovonovski should be paid more by the Florida Panthers than Jason Garrison. I think $4.5mil will get it done especially if Vancouver can't trade Luongo, they can't afford both Luongo and Garrison, and we shouldn't help them out by taking Luongo's contract off their hands.
The problem is, if Garrison doesn't go to Vancouver then there are multitide of teams that would happily overpay him after that. Just look at all the teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, etc. that are rumored to want to go hard after Suter. Only one team is going to get him. Garrison is next on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
You guys should take a look at the Habs seasons, especially the one after they lose key power play player. With Streit, their power play finished first and they finished first in the Est. They then lost Streit, thought they could replace him, but they didn't. They finished 8 with a sub-par power play.

If our power play gets average, we'll have an hard time making the playoff. Garrison is more important imo.
Garrison wasn't even on the #1 PP unit for most of the season, and in the 2nd half his PP production and ES production went way down because teams started paying more attention to him. If Garrison's shot is covered, he isn't much of a threat on the PP. Streit is a much better offensive player and is a threat to shoot or pass. We should re-sign Sammy, he was great on the point on the #1 unit, and we don't have to pay him 5x5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Theodore isn't going anywhere. Why would he want to go to Toronto? He signed a NTC to make sure there was no chance of him getting traded to a disaster team like the Leafs. If Theo plays the way he did last year, Loungo better be on his toes because he'll be riding the pine the same way he did in Vancouver.
Luongo was better than Theodore was last season. Theo had his best season since his Hart&Vezina season, and yet he still wasn't as good as Luongo. There's no way Theo would be anything but the backup.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 PM
KW

Based on gut feel, I voted to add Luongo at his ridiculous salary through age 39, rather than taking a chance on Garrison's ridiculous salary through age 32.

Why? It's all been said in one form or another already. Let's see if I can repeat the sentiment without copying the words.

Let's consider the following attributes and give each a score of 1-3:
1) proven performer
2) can carry the team
3) intangibles

Luongo = 3 + 3 + 2 = 8
Garrison = 2 + 1 + 2 = 5

Luongo wins! I voted right! Yay.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Based on gut feel, I voted to add Luongo at his ridiculous salary through age 39, rather than taking a chance on Garrison's ridiculous salary through age 32.

Why? It's all been said in one form or another already. Let's see if I can repeat the sentiment without copying the words.

Let's consider the following attributes and give each a score of 1-3:
1) proven performer
2) can carry the team
3) intangibles

Luongo = 3 + 3 + 2 = 8
Garrison = 2 + 1 + 2 = 5

Luongo wins! I voted right! Yay.
Your rating Loungo on the past, not this past season. He's inconsistent now.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:03 AM
KW

Quote:
Not as inconsistent as Garrison with a shot blocking machine in front of him.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:44 AM
Erick

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...roberto-luongo

How is that inconsistent?
His save % last year was the exact same as his career save %.

His problems in October are nothing new. He always gets off to slow starts. It's always been the case with him for some reason.

Anyway, I don't see the difference.

The #'s are basically the same. Obviously these Canucks in front of him are way better than the Panther teams he played for; then again, our current team is better than the Panther teams he played for.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:47 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...roberto-luongo

How is that inconsistent?
His save % last year was the exact same as his career save %.

His problems in October are nothing new. He always gets off to slow starts. It's always been the case with him for some reason.

Anyway, I don't see the difference.

The #'s are basically the same. Obviously these Canucks in front of him are way better than the Panther teams he played for; then again, our current team is better than the Panther teams he played for.
His stats are inflated due to playing on a good team. He has stretches where he's real good but he also has stretches where he's just plain awful. He never used to be that way. But he is now. There were several stretches last season where Loungo was just brutal.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
His stats are inflated due to playing on a good team. He has stretches where he's real good but he also has stretches where he's just plain awful. He never used to be that way. But he is now. There were several stretches last season where Loungo was just brutal.
playing for good teams usually has the opposite effect on save %. less shots = less chances for saves. i bet luongos highest save percentages came on our awful teams. and its also why brodeurs career save % isnt anything special.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
The same could be said about Garrison. While I wouldn't use the word "Awful" pre-Cambell, Garrison wasn't scoring or shooting like he did this past season. IF Garrison goes to a team that can pass to him like Campbell did, he may repeat last season but if not, I don't see him scoring more than 10 goals next season..

Two factors.
1. Pairing with someone like Campbell
2. Knowing the NHL is aware of what Garrison can do and will now cover him better.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Because he sucks. Plus, I don't think he even plays in the NHL anymore.
I call BS! lol Granted he was invisible and backed your quote on a few games (as many players do), I remember Samsonov as being one of the few high points of our team for a few of those 20 games.

If he played hockey for the last year and kept in shape, I'd give him a shot at the perfect price.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post

But sadly I don't think Garrison is coming back.
This is one of those "/thread" posts for me, most unfortunately but most realistically.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Tuco

Both contracts would hurt, but Lou's much more.

I would actually go up to 5 mill for Garry, hoping for a bit shorter contract though. 3 or 4 years @ 5 mill would be great.

Last edited by Tuco: 06-29-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Closed Thread