HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Impending Enroth/Miller debacle

Old
06-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
There is no imminent debacles beyond those contrived on message boards and whiner lines when Miller gives up 3 more goals.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Also, there will absolutely always be a market for Miller throughout his contract. Buying him out would add unnecessary remnants on your cap and deprive you of getting assets out of him. If the time comes to move him, the best solution is to trade him.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
aceface33

Enroth has to learn how to close up that 5-hole before I want him as the starting goaltender for the Sabres.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

The only impending debacle I foresee is the possibility Enroth's first name is engraved without the "h" on the Cup next June, and then with the "h" in June 2014. "Ryan Miller" is of course easy to spell, so they won't mess that up either year.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Miller makes too much for my taste. And that's not because I'm a fan of Enroth. Id rather have a team of guys all equally paid and contributing than a few overpaid guys who can/do get injured and slump.

Last edited by enrothorne: 06-29-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Edit: automistake(correct) on phone.
enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Miller makes too much for my taste. And that's not because I'm a fan of Enroth. Is rather have a team of guys all equally paid and contributing than a few overpaid guys who can/do get injured and slump.
That's a perfectly valid viewpoint (there's a very worthwhile debate on the true value of goalies, especially at high salaries) but after deciding you don't want Miller at that salary, there's no practical solution until there's a replacement.

Enroth should not currently be considered a replacement.

That's not to say he won't or wouldn't already be capable, but he hasn't even come close to proving that he is; it would therefore be completely reckless to move Miller in order to promote him.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Put me in the camp that is a ways away from declaring Enroth as a guy who is capable of pushing Miller out the door. We really just haven't seen it yet. If Miller suffers an equivalent Hasek 1999-2000 groin injury and Enroth gets a solid 20-30 games then I'll be more open to the idea. And I'm not automatically writing him off because of his size, I think he has tremendous reflexes which can compensate for his stature, but he's struggled with consistency when he was trying to be a 60-game goalie in Portland, I'm not sure he can do it in the NHL. No looming debacle, IMO.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Noronen should start

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:48 AM
dkollidas

I doubt Ruff plays Enroth as much as last year if possible. He's on the hot seat, and he doesn't like playing back-ups anyways. Barring injury, I see Miller getting about 65-70 starts. Miller being on his game will lead to Ruff extending his lifeline here in Buffalo. He's not going to sacrifice his job to see if Enroth is ready to be the starter.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Enroth has to learn how to close up that 5-hole before I want him as the starting goaltender for the Sabres.
Heck with just the 5-hole, under his blocker and under his arm too. The guy is made of holes.

06-29-2012, 02:31 PM
playoffhero

Came to post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Noronen should start

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
There is no imminent debacles beyond those contrived on message boards and whiner lines when Miller gives up 3 more goals.
Message of the week

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I doubt Ruff plays Enroth as much as last year if possible. He's on the hot seat, and he doesn't like playing back-ups anyways. Barring injury, I see Miller getting about 65-70 starts. Miller being on his game will lead to Ruff extending his lifeline here in Buffalo. He's not going to sacrifice his job to see if Enroth is ready to be the starter.
I haven't heard that Ruff's job was on the line.... quite the opposite really

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Miller makes too much for my taste. And that's not because I'm a fan of Enroth. Is rather have a team of guys all equally paid and contributing than a few overpaid guys who can/do get injured and slump.
CCCP Red Army, 1970's.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
CCCP Red Army, 1970's.
The reactionary forces of the toothless Canadian imperialists attempt to dominate the people's puck, but with every goal our patriotic young Soviet heroes strike a blow for the workers of the world!

Old
06-29-2012, 03:39 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I haven't heard that Ruff's job was on the line.... quite the opposite really
I'm thinking if they miss the playoffs again, they'll at least contemplate moving Ruff.

I just don't think Ruff is trying to think that far down the road that he'd give Enroth starts just so they can see what they have. It's just not his MO.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I'm thinking if they miss the playoffs again, they'll at least contemplate moving Ruff.

I just don't think Ruff is trying to think that far down the road that he'd give Enroth starts just so they can see what they have. It's just not his MO.
I hope they do as well. But I hope Regier is secure for the next few years unless he blatantly screws something up. I really think he's on the right track here and I wouldn't want him replaced unless it's with someone who wouldn't want to blow his path up.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:17 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
That's a perfectly valid viewpoint (there's a very worthwhile debate on the true value of goalies, especially at high salaries) but after deciding you don't want Miller at that salary, there's no practical solution until there's a replacement.

Enroth should not currently be considered a replacement.

That's not to say he won't or wouldn't already be capable, but he hasn't even come close to proving that he is; it would therefore be completely reckless to move Miller in order to promote him.
Miller wasn't really head and shoulders above Biron and Noronen at the time he was given the job either.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Miller wasn't really head and shoulders above Biron and Noronen at the time he was given the job either.
Miller won out in a competition among 3 young goalies. Ryan Miller is a top goalie and Enroth is an unproven back-up prospect. I don't see the similarities in situation. Enroth has certainly done nothing to gain the kind of status Miller had before 05-06.

Miller had a really good season with the Amerks during the lockout -- putting him in great position -- and then in 05-06, Noronen had a terrible performance over his only 4 games, as Miller outperformed Biron over the course of the season with both getting a large amount of games, effectively winning the job.

Enroth has to start stealing games from Miller before anyone would think he is NHL starter material much less can take Miller's job.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:12 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Enroth has to start stealing games from Miller before anyone would think he is NHL starter material much less can take Miller's job.
I like where your heads at

Hey Enroth, you want the freaking starting job? Do you? Then take it from Miller! Earn it. Prove it. Do it.

Or be a career backup. Make your choice. This is the year!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Sabretip

Fuel for the fire that all the Miller-haters will no doubt support:

Quote:
BUFFALO — OK, so where does Ryan Miller, the 2009-10 Vezina Trophy winner and Team USA Olympic hero, rank among NHL goalies right now?

Consider the following: his goals-against average the last two seasons has ranked 22nd and 22nd; his save percentage has ranked 18th and 19th; last year, he failed to backstop his team to the postseason for the third time in five seasons.

Based on the recent past, Miller’s probably an average netminder.

Is he better than, say, St. Louis journeyman Brian Elliott, who enjoyed a career season in 2011-12, posting a league-best 1.56 goals-against average after barely making the Blues? Yes. Miller still has a better body of work than many of the goalies statistically better than him.

But it’s hard to keep arguing Miller’s an elite goalie when he’s generating below-average numbers on a non-playoff team.
Quote:
When Milan Lucic’s wicked hit Nov. 12 in Boston concussed Miller, the 31-year-old tended the worst goal of his career following his return, going 6-9-2 with a 3.32 goals-against average and .889 save percentage during a terrible 18-game stretch.

If Miller had been even average during that stretch, the Sabres likely would’ve won a few more games and made the playoffs.

Miller, of course, got going, possibly performing as well as ever. He posted dynamic numbers – 20-6-5, 2.04 and 9.32 – from late January on. However, he stumbled again late – 1-3-0, 3.74, .877 – after the Sabres moved into eighth place briefly.

Clearly, when Miller’s on, he’s one of the true greats. It’s just that for the past two seasons he’s been on for only the final few months.

He said in April an “enough is enough” attitude helped turn his season around. It’s an attitude he should start embracing again in September
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...age-NHL-goalie

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote