HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
parise is NOT signing with the devils, if he does i would be truly shocked

if he hasn't signed by now he won't, he wants money and a place to win

its between probably 5-6 teams, and whoever gives him the most money will probably get him

he probably is willing to take a little less to stay east, it will probably come down to penguins/wings/rangers
Quite a revelation your giving us here.

06-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
parise is NOT signing with the devils, if he does i would be truly shocked

if he hasn't signed by now he won't, he wants money and a place to win

its between probably 5-6 teams, and whoever gives him the most money will probably get him

he probably is willing to take a little less to stay east, it will probably come down to penguins/wings/rangers
it's all about the ownership/bankruptcy situation

Old
06-29-2012, 07:47 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Where is pittsburgh getting this money? They just re-signed Crosby to an even larger contract. They are going to have to re-sign Malkin. Are they not going to field a team?

Old
06-29-2012, 07:51 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Where is pittsburgh getting this money? They just re-signed Crosby to an even larger contract. They are going to have to re-sign Malkin. Are they not going to field a team?
The reported contract they offered Staal before they traded him kind of tells me money is not a problem to sign Parise.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Lundsanity30

Only way parise chooses us is if we blow him out of the water as well as other teams

Old
06-29-2012, 07:54 AM
NYR Viper

Pittsburgh spends practically no money on their lower line players/5th-6th d-men. That is how they have the money. They continue to draft good young d-men who push out the older, more expensive d-men so they can surround Crosby and Malkin with the players they need (Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis) to be successful.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:55 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Only way parise chooses us is if we blow him out of the water as well as other teams
I'm glad you qualified that statement

Old
06-29-2012, 07:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
The reported contract they offered Staal before they traded him kind of tells me money is not a problem to sign Parise.
Parise is not signing for $6/per. It is going to b significantly higher. Not Crosby, but still higher. And wheres the Pens may afford teh $6, they may not afford that much more.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Parise is not signing for $6/per. It is going to b significantly higher. Not Crosby, but still higher. And wheres the Pens may afford teh $6, they may not afford that much more.
Good point, plus add in Sutter's contract and it might be unmanageable. IMO if Parise wants Pitt, contract is not going to be a problem. It will be an accommodation for both parties, good raise for Zac that Pitt is comfortable with.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Parise isnt getting the same contract Staal was going to get, he will get more.

They need defense to be successful. It was so easily exposed by the flyers. Fleury couldnt handle the onslaught. I just cant imagine they'd go after another premier forward.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Chief

Rob Rossi from Pitt Tribune says the Pens would add impact forward as insurance in event Crosby goes down to injury again. So it would seem adding another forward is a necessary evil for them since you can't count on Crosby being in the lineup.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Chief

I thought it was pretty much a done deal that Parise would resign but their ownership issues have changed that. I can see the Rangers going hard after Parise. I don't think I've ever seen a free agent better fit the mold of a team/coach than Parise does for the Rangers and Torts.

I'm all in. Hope Slats is too!

Old
06-29-2012, 08:29 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Rob Rossi from Pitt Tribune says the Pens would add impact forward as insurance in event Crosby goes down to injury again. So it would seem adding another forward is a necessary evil for them since you can't count on Crosby being in the lineup.
Okay but what kind of impact forward is that. How much are you willing to pay for Crosby's INSURANCE. They have to re-sign or replace a lot of players in the next two years. They are not winning stanley cups with 5 forwards and 3 defensemen.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Lundsanity30

FWIW, and it might not matter because its Minnesota, but I heard Wild are willing to make him the highest paid player in the game.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
FWIW, and it might not matter because its Minnesota, but I heard Wild are willing to make him the highest paid player in the game.
He can have fun losing there...but at least he's at home.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Chief

I hear what you're saying but the Pens have proven they'll keep their top stars and figure the rest out. And if you believe Pierre McG's analysis, they'll have a cheap, young D group in the near future - although I have to say I think their D prospects are overhyped.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I hear what you're saying but the Pens have proven they'll keep their top stars and figure the rest out. And if you believe Pierre McG's analysis, they'll have a cheap, young D group in the near future - although I have to say I think their D prospects are overhyped.
I'm not saying their defense prospects are bad but I dont see them as anything special. With as weak of a defense as they have on the nhl roster you'd think at least 1, maybe 2 would push through for a roster spot. Pittsburgh hasnt been getting high picks anymore. Its not like the past. That time is gone. So unless they are finding gems in later rounds they dont have anything coming through the pipes to help win.

Not to mention Letang is do for a raise in 2014. A good one at that.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I'm not saying their defense prospects are bad but I dont see them as anything special. With as weak of a defense as they have on the nhl roster you'd think at least 1, maybe 2 would push through for a roster spot. Pittsburgh hasnt been getting high picks anymore. Its not like the past. That time is gone. So unless they are finding gems in later rounds they dont have anything coming through the pipes to help win.

Not to mention Letang is do for a raise in 2014. A good one at that.
I get what you're saying. But at the same time, I think you're grasping at straws to de-legitimize a good (and hated) team like the Pens.

Crosby and Malkin are generational talents - when you have 2 guys like that down the middle for the next several years, the defensive issues seem a lot easier to deal with. The Rangers and Pens will be battling for the top spot in the Atlantic for years to come. Our sorry offense vs. their sorry defense.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I am really worried about the kind of contract Sather is gonna offer him.

Anything North of 7M is a huge mistake IMO.

06-29-2012, 08:59 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Some numbers to use headed into Sunday, July 1st

Forwards 9 -> 13/14
NameCap HitTypeOther
Brad Richards6,666,667One-way 
Ryan Callahan4,275,000One-way 
Brandon Dubinsky4,200,000One-way 
Artem Anisimov1,875,000One-way 
Brian Boyle1,700,000One-way 
Mike Rupp1,500,000One-way.
Chris Kreider1,325,000*Two-waybonus
Derek Stepan875,000Two-way 
Carl Hagelin875,000*Two-waybonus
10 th forward???One-waynew signing
11 th forward???One-waynew signing
12 th forward???One-waynew signing
13 th forward???One-waynew signing
Marian Gaborik7,500,000One-wayIR until December
Total30,741,667

Defensemen 4 to 6 -> 7/8
NameCap HitTypeOther
Marc Staal3,975,000One-way 
Dan Girardi3,325,000One-way 
Ryan McDonagh1,300,000*Two-waybonus
Michael Del Zotto826,825QO One-WayWill get substantial raise
Tim Erixon1,750,000*Two-wayBonus - Might make team out of camp?
Anton Stralman945,000QO One-Waymight not play for NYR next year? Add one more hole??
New Number 4-6 defenseman???One-wayneeds to be resigned
Number 8 defenseman???One-wayBickel?
Michael Sauer1,250,000One-wayIR indefinitely
Total13,371,825

Goaltenders 1 -> 2
NameCap HitTypeDays
Henrik Lundqvist6,875,000One-way 
Backup goalie???One-wayBiron?? - needs to be resigned
Total6,875,000

Buy-outs One too many
NameCap Hit
Chris Drury1,666,667
Total1,666,667

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000 ?? What will it be after CBA is signed and what eventual rollback??
CAP PAYROLL: $50,955,209
DEFERRABLE BONUSES: $1,250,000
CAP SPACE (17-man roster including bonuses, IR and buyout): $19,244,791
IR (2 men) - $8,750,000

Wade Reddens cap hit on the summer cap nullifies the summer cap overage of 10% (basically)
Say Del Zotto gets around $1,4 m in raise from his qo
That leaves around $17,8m in cap space. Plus the deferrable bonuses ( probably will be put back into new CBA) and also the Substantial IR space for Gaborik and Sauer, at least at the beginning of the year. Hopefully both return asap healthy and better than ever.

We therefore now need to sign the following for the NYR:
  • 4-5 Forwards
  • 1-2 defenseman - at least! (if Strålman stays and Erixon graduates, otherwise add more roster player needed for each of these empty slots)
  • a backup goalie
  • And a plethora of players for Hartford to be used there and as eventual callups

Also seriously needed to be taken into consideration (as RB correctly points out constantly) is the new CBA and an eventual new cap hit ceiling negotiated thereafter (either with or without a rollback)
So the cap space might in reality wind up being lower than the 70,2m and our purchase power also relatively lower (say 65 million instead of 70,2 m)
But this nobody knows today. NOBODY
But as is now --- we need these amount of players
Lots of interesting math lies ahead...
Speculate some more!!
Slather will be very busy on Sunday, be so certain.
Lord help us!

Old
06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I get what you're saying. But at the same time, I think you're grasping at straws to de-legitimize a good (and hated) team like the Pens.

Crosby and Malkin are generational talents - when you have 2 guys like that down the middle for the next several years, the defensive issues seem a lot easier to deal with. The Rangers and Pens will be battling for the top spot in the Atlantic for years to come. Our sorry offense vs. their sorry defense.
I'm not trying to de-legitimasize (if that is even a word, maybe more fitting would be degrade but whatever ).

Pittsburgh could very well sign Parise to an enormous contract. But I'm sorry, having Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Parise, Orpik, Martin, Michalek, and Letang does not equal cups.

Staal was going to be departing no matter what unless he accepted a discount from what he'd get on the open market, from the Penguins. They offered him that and he said no. They weren't going to be able to keep the big 3, especially after they added Neal's contract. And it's not like they are going to ship Neal out when he is young, scores goals, and plays the wing as opposed to center.

I understand they have generational talents but you need players to surround them. You need depth. You need defense to win championships. They dont have that. Guys like Vitale and Adams, those types of players can't hold other teams 4th line's jock straps. They are horrendous.

Yes they will compete every year because they'll bully a lot of team throughout the year. But when push comes to shove a good defense and stonger bottom 6 forward group will stifle them quickly. Philly did it and they had an awful defense. Crosby-Malkin-Neal-Parise are not playing 40 minutes a night. They are going to have to throw out a 5 at times during a game that is just sub par and that is when opposing teams will hurt them. When pittsburgh ices the puck with that group of 5 or when they are the away team and the home team gets the matchup they want after a stoppage of play they will be in trouble.

Instead of paying Parise 7.5 or whatever he will get, they should split that up into 3 or 4 players, forward and defense. Because frankly they are not better than NYR, BOS, and PHI.

WAS is getting worse by the day though it looks like they may finally have a goaltender now. Need to replenish their defense and replace Semin.

NJ is still not a very good team to me. They had good depth. They played a very tired rangers team because I still think our bottom 6 was better than theirs and our defense as a whole was better too, just a few mental lapses by del zotto who was fantastic all year. They are losing some of those depth forwards as well as parise.

FLA is not going to be able to overcome the better teams in the East. They will compete but they don't have enough to outlast those teams.

I mean those are just a few teams. Playoff teams from last year. I left out OTT for now. I put PHI ahead of Pittsburgh because imo their defense is improving and right now is better than PIT. You can't win without defense. Fleury's confidence was shot in that playoff series. He couldn't catch a break. It was a constant attack on him.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreger
Martin Brodeur very likely to test free agent market. Brodeur has hired Pat Brisson (CAA) to represent him. Bidders get ready!
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/stat...12917380567040

As much as I hate Marty...seeing him anywhere but Jersey would be very weird...

Old
06-29-2012, 09:34 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Never expected this. Maybe Parise leaving and NJ situation is bad enough for Marty to want to field offers.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Yes it would be.

He should be a life long New Jersey Devil.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Vitto79

Brodeur to Chicago would be very very strange( speculation )

See Sarich signed in Calgary again per twitter/trade forum board.........for 2 yrs , 2 million which is whati would of wanted the Rangers to pay......joy

hope we sign Schultz even more now. If not who the heck is left?

bring Rozy back, lol..........of course not.....I hope not anyway...........I think Kubina still makes the most sense folks..............same deal as Sarich, its vet depthand a righty that has played for Torts

Last edited by Vitto79: 06-29-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Closed Thread