HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Niklas Hjalmarsson

Old
06-28-2012, 05:07 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Pretty typical Swedish defender. Emphasis on positioning and not on ending opposing players' season. He's not "soft" as he's often the guy most willing to block a shot and he doesn't shy away from the dirty areas or physical contact.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
He isn't as bad as you think he is.

He asked about toughness, not about meanness, there is a difference. Hammer is tough, he'll go to the dirty areas, finish checks and blocks shot.

Thanks for being wrong again, as usual.
Hammer blocks shots, and does what any Dman is supposed to do. I guess all Dmen are tough in your logic. I guess Kruger is tough too, he goes to dirty areas, blocks, finishes his 'hits'..

When someone asks who a tough Dman is, I think of Seabrook, Pronger, Weber, type dmen...not Hjalmarsson.

Wrong, you are.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
He isn't as bad as you think he is.

He asked about toughness, not about meanness, there is a difference. Hammer is tough, he'll go to the dirty areas, finish checks and blocks shot.

Thanks for being wrong again, as usual.
Its like you've seen him play and came to a conclusion based on what occurred on the ice. What devilry is this??

For the innocent islanders observer, this guy's analysis is 100% right and the guy he was dismantling is still a bit sore from being proven wrong earlier in the day.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Hawkaholic

Oh wow, another Hjalmarsson lover..

Wrong about him again, he is not tough, he does his job. If he laid more hits like he did on Klesla I would change my opinion about that. The guy doesnt hit near as much as he should, and doesnt do anything else good enough to warrant his cap hit.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

I don't love him at all. I'd move him for the right return. He's a middling defenseman with weaknesses in his game. But the question as asked was answered, and not correctly by you.

For your information, there are plenty of defensemen out there who do NOT play tough. You'd know a few if you, you know, watched games.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Hawkaholic

So I guess blocking shots and doing what Dmen are supposed to do = toughness

Yes, there are Dmen that don't do what they are supposed to, but no one is asking for them in trades.

I guess your definition of toughness is completely different than mine, which includes heavy hitting on a constant basis, clearing the front of the net, and sticking up for teammates. Hammer does none of that.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Hammer blocks shots, and does what any Dman is supposed to do. I guess all Dmen are tough in your logic. I guess Kruger is tough too, he goes to dirty areas, blocks, finishes his 'hits'..

When someone asks who a tough Dman is, I think of Seabrook, Pronger, Weber, type dmen...not Hjalmarsson.

Wrong, you are.
Most NHL DMen are tough. Hjalmarsson doesn't win the Award for Toughest NHL Player but to call him "soft" or anything is ridiculous.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Most NHL DMen are tough. Hjalmarsson doesn't win the Award for Toughest NHL Player but to call him "soft" or anything is ridiculous.
I never called him soft.. I said he doesn't define toughness.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:29 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
So I guess blocking shots and doing what Dmen are supposed to do = toughness

Yes, there are Dmen that don't do what they are supposed to, but no one is asking for them in trades.

I guess your definition of toughness is completely different than mine, which includes heavy hitting on a constant basis, clearing the front of the net, and sticking up for teammates. Hammer does none of that.
I would say being near the league lead in blocked shots makes you tough.

Defenseman are supposed to stop offensive chances. Certainly more then one way to skin a cat.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I would say being near the league lead in blocked shots makes you tough.

Defenseman are supposed to stop offensive chances. Certainly more then one way to skin a cat.
When the Isles fan posted that they wanted to add toughnesd, to me, that doesn't mean they are looking for a guy who can block shots and that's it.

To me, adding toughness is adding a guy who will stick up for teammates, hit like a Mack truck, and clear bodies in front of the net, on top of blocking shots.

Like I said, maybe I just have a different meaning of toughness. Blocking shots is something a Dman should do if needed.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Hammer will block a shot with his face if need be. Nobody ever questioned his willingness to get in front of a shot puck.

But playing a tough, stand up game, he doesnt do at all.

Having said that, the Hawks shouldnt get rid of him.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:15 AM
HockeySensible
NHL Says...

Quote:
When the Isles fan posted that they wanted to add toughnesd, to me, that doesn't mean they are looking for a guy who can block shots and that's it.

To me, adding toughness is adding a guy who will stick up for teammates, hit like a Mack truck, and clear bodies in front of the net, on top of blocking shots.

Like I said, maybe I just have a different meaning of toughness. Blocking shots is something a Dman should do if needed.
There aren't many Dmen in the league that have all the elements you just listed. Dion Phaneuf? That's about it. Brent Seabrook doesn't make flashy hits, nor does he fight very often, yet, I don't think you'll find a fan in the league that doesn't think Seabrook is as tough as they come.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

For the right return, he can be had. That's for sure

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
There aren't many Dmen in the league that have all the elements you just listed. Dion Phaneuf? That's about it. Brent Seabrook doesn't make flashy hits, nor does he fight very often, yet, I don't think you'll find a fan in the league that doesn't think Seabrook is as tough as they come.
lol Dion is brutal. He throws big hits, that's it. When he fights, he just drops the gloves first and holds the guy until the ref breaks it up like he did with Seabrook in the 09 playoffs.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:01 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
lol Dion is brutal. He throws big hits, that's it. When he fights, he just drops the gloves first and holds the guy until the ref breaks it up like he did with Seabrook in the 09 playoffs.
Yeah...and because he's such an f-ing idiot he throws them at the most inopportune times - he completely abandons the play to go in for a hit, which creates a hole in the play and frequently leads to the other side scoring.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:44 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Hammer will block a shot with his face if need be. Nobody ever questioned his willingness to get in front of a shot puck.

But playing a tough, stand up game, he doesnt do at all.

Having said that, the Hawks shouldnt get rid of him.
He doesn't do it often enough but he is capable. When he got shafted with that suspension for his hit on Pominville, it seemed to make him gun shy and he was reluctant to use the body when he returned. He can play physically and it is up to the coaching staff to get him back there. This is why I'd love to see a guy like Larry Robinson get recruited by the Hawks. In some (no, make that many) ways the assistant coach they hire is more important than the players Hawks acquire this summer.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote