HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
  #926
Jackpot
Registered Abuser
 
Jackpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Zero chance the Rangers get him. Many believe thus little show is to hide the tampering.
Zero eh? Our odds are better than that, I would go as far to say 50/50. I think it's between us and Vancouver..But that's just me..

Jackpot is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
  #927
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Well, we either a) have a legitimate shot at getting Schultz, or b) they are using us to drive up the price, although I am not sure if that even applies here considering he is limited as to what he can receive anyway.

Rotoworld said 5 teams - Edm, Tor, NYR, Van, Ott

No reason to put us on a "list" of teams if he wasn't interested, he's going to get the max ELC anyway. Makes me think we have a shot, even if a small one. And if that is true, Sather and co. will lay it all out there trying to get this kid. And if he fails to get him, we'll survive.

jerseyjinx94 is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 08:14 AM
  #928
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Schultz has nothing to do with Del Zotto. RD and LD respectively. Huge gaping hole on the right side, that's why Schultz is desired by NYR and why we are a potential target. MDZ is a known commodity for offense from the blueline... something we cannot say about any other blueliner under contract. McD was drafted to be an offensive guy and he developed into this shutdown stud. Gilroy never seemed to transfer the offensive side to the NHL, not enough to be counted on.

One day one or all of Erixon, McIlrath, Schultz, Sauer, Skej will start to push out some established guys. Some day in the future when they earn a spot and prove their value. But I don't understand the rush to part with such an amazing core when they are under contract for amazing prices. Wait to see with free agency. Be patient with the trades. No one moved a Staal level player for Thornton, Heately, Hossa or Kovalchuk.

It's like Mitch Hedberg's line about not eating an apple because eventually it'll be a core. God forbid we enjoy the journey before they leave.
mcd was only 9 points behind del zotto without much pp time playing against the top players in the league all season. del zotto had like 14 of his 41 points on the pp vs mcdonagh's 2. you give mcd pp time and i guarantee he's a 40 point man. girardi and staal are both 30 point guy as well. del zotto's 40(14 pp) is not a godsend.. only real benefit is that he's 21 and will more than likely improve with experience(which can be said about mcdonagh as well-- he worked hard on his shot/offense and it showed)
player | pts | ppp | pts w/o pp
del zotto| 41 | 14 | 27
mcdna | 32 | 02 | 30
girardi | 29 | 10 | 19
*staal | 29 | 11 | 18

*last season

del zotto's good, but mcdonagh on the pp would presumably have outproduced him-- and mcdonagh is playing against the top players in the league.

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 08:41 AM
  #929
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
Ok so lets get rid of MDZ because we obviously can get by on McD's 9 fewer points.

The jump from 8th to 1st had nothing to do with the big increase of blueline scoring. We are looking at potentially 2 rookies on d as it is. Replacing a top 4 guy at these prices is easier said than done. I'm waiting for an established performer before I ship anyone out.

DutchShamrock is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
  #930
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Zero eh? Our odds are better than that, I would go as far to say 50/50. I think it's between us and Vancouver..But that's just me..
Maybe. It just seems the Leafs are so convinced that it has to be them.

It will be over soon. The guy is probably a bust anyway.

Gatorade* is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
  #931
nrf83
Registered User
 
nrf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: golf course
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
mcd was only 9 points behind del zotto without much pp time playing against the top players in the league all season. del zotto had like 14 of his 41 points on the pp vs mcdonagh's 2. you give mcd pp time and i guarantee he's a 40 point man. girardi and staal are both 30 point guy as well. del zotto's 40(14 pp) is not a godsend.. only real benefit is that he's 21 and will more than likely improve with experience(which can be said about mcdonagh as well-- he worked hard on his shot/offense and it showed)
player | pts | ppp | pts w/o pp
del zotto| 41 | 14 | 27
mcdna | 32 | 02 | 30
girardi | 29 | 10 | 19
*staal | 29 | 11 | 18

*last season

del zotto's good, but mcdonagh on the pp would presumably have outproduced him-- and mcdonagh is playing against the top players in the league.



what the heck, let's play McD 40 min a night; MDZ is a 40 point PMD who I don't want moved regardless if we land Schultz. Let Schultz come here a beat out DZ before we do anything foolish like trading MDZ. Also having a proven dman other than McD play PP allows McD to get some rest.

nrf83 is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:23 AM
  #932
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Maybe. It just seems the Leafs are so convinced that it has to be them.

It will be over soon. The guy is probably a bust anyway.
Why would the Leafs think they're a sure thing? Because Gardiner is on the team?

I think fact is that no one knows for sure which way he's leaning.

Levitate is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:26 AM
  #933
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why would the Leafs think they're a sure thing? Because Gardiner is on the team?

I think fact is that no one knows for sure which way he's leaning.
The fact that he's calling him a bust is pathetic. Has never seen the kid play. And the 26 teams that called about him were calling because he's not that good right?

RGY is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
  #934
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why would the Leafs think they're a sure thing? Because Gardiner is on the team?

I think fact is that no one knows for sure which way he's leaning.
Gardiner and being in Canada are the only thing the Leafs offer him.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:36 AM
  #935
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,043
vCash: 500
Why did he go to UW if he's so hell bent on playing in Canada now? That whole narrative is kind of weird to me. It's not like I can't understand why he'd want to play in his "home country", but from all accounts he was ready and willing to play for Anahiem right up until the point where something clicked and he bailed on them. He could have gone to the CHL and played, but instead went to an American University

Dunno, maybe he got sick of the US, but his actions up until now haven't exactly screamed "I will never consider playing for any place that isn't in Canada"

Maybe he was just waiting to see what the ruling on the ACA was

Levitate is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
  #936
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
YES!!! Go McDonagh!

GregSirico is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
  #937
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I expect us to know today.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
  #938
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why did he go to UW if he's so hell bent on playing in Canada now? That whole narrative is kind of weird to me. It's not like I can't understand why he'd want to play in his "home country", but from all accounts he was ready and willing to play for Anahiem right up until the point where something clicked and he bailed on them. He could have gone to the CHL and played, but instead went to an American University

Dunno, maybe he got sick of the US, but his actions up until now haven't exactly screamed "I will never consider playing for any place that isn't in Canada"

Maybe he was just waiting to see what the ruling on the ACA was
I just dont buy the whole Canada crap. He may very well still sign but to me its not because of that.

To me the factors are:

He has progressively gotten better at UW, becoming an elite NCAA defenseman.

He and his agents understand the rules under the cba. ANA had an awful year with trade rumors and a coaching change. He realized he could get out and choose where he wants to play with former teammates and friends on other teams as well as the prospect of playing at home

RGY is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
  #939
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I just dont buy the whole Canada crap. He may very well still sign but to me its not because of that.

To me the factors are:

He has progressively gotten better at UW, becoming an elite NCAA defenseman.

He and his agents understand the rules under the cba. ANA had an awful year with trade rumors and a coaching change. He realized he could get out and choose where he wants to play with former teammates and friends on other teams as well as the prospect of playing at home
I think he goes where he says "YES, I CAN WIN THERE"

Which is why i say VAN or us

GregSirico is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
  #940
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,043
vCash: 500
Well I'm not ready to say completely that the Canada stuff is total BS, just that it's somewhat weird to me how the situation has worked out. Obviously most of the teams he's talking to are Canadian so there's some truth to it.

The stuff about Anahiem's troubles is a good point, especially with Ryan on and off the trade block and how poorly that's being handled.

Levitate is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
  #941
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Mac Truck was at the meeting with Schultz. Atta boy!

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
  #942
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I think he goes where he says "YES, I CAN WIN THERE"

Which is why i say VAN or us
As a hockey fan there is just something that irks me about Toronto. There always seems to be issues up there with that team. Management changes, coaching changes, player movement, average player development, not a great farm system. I think they've missed the boat with their draft picks the last few years, scouting department should be restructured. Toronto hasnt made the playoffs in years. How come they haven't been able to find a standout player in any of the past 5-6 drafts? They traded for Kessel. They traded for Phaneuf. They havent developed a solid goaltender. What the hell happened to Schenn? I still think he is a good defenseman, but he was so highly touted. Threw money at guys like Komisarek and Connolly. How in the hell could you go there? Because Gardiner is there? If you say you want to win, then toronto shouldn't a consideration because you never know what direction that team is going in. Is next year going to be the year they finally make the playoffs? Let alone go far. They don't have the goods to compete with the tougher teams in the East.

Edmonton needs defense. But they are not a winning team. They have unbelievable talent up front. But it's raw, its's inexperienced. None of those guys have gone through an NHL playoffs. Smyth might be leaving. Their goaltending is weak. And they don't have a coach that has experienced winning anything really, no winning mentality. Ralph Krueger? The longtime Swiss national coach? There was an article that stated he is in fantastic shape. That doesn't mean wins. He was Renney's assistant. Renney doesn't know how to get over humps. Couldn't get the rangers in a deep playoff run. Couldn't get the oilers to a playoff berth though he didn't have much to work with other than really young offensive talent. EDM kissed their chances goodbye when they hired Krueger.

So I agree it is between VAN and NYR. OTT has an outside shot because they are an upcoming team with decent player development. I can't see Schultz pairing with Karlsson. Both are offensive dman. VAN has had a bad track record with developing their young players lately. Do you want to go there and be in Vigneault's doghouse and not get minutes?

I'm saying this as a hockey fan, NYR and Tortorella offer the best opportunity.

RGY is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
  #943
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well I'm not ready to say completely that the Canada stuff is total BS, just that it's somewhat weird to me how the situation has worked out. Obviously most of the teams he's talking to are Canadian so there's some truth to it.

The stuff about Anahiem's troubles is a good point, especially with Ryan on and off the trade block and how poorly that's being handled.
I just don't see it as any surprise he left anaheim even if he initially had intended to play there. Maybe he didn't want to play for Boudreau after he met him. Maybe he didn't like he is personality, attitude. Anaheim has that talent up front but were one of the worst teams most of the year. Hiller had injury woes. Their defense was so-so. They had to make a coaching change, firing Carlyle, who I think is a very good coach. Management couldn;t decide if Ryan was coming or going. He's being moved, then he's staying, now he's being moved again. They don't show a lot of positivity when it comes to player management. Unstable.

The current CBA allowed Schultz to become a free agent and choose. I don't think it's so shocking as some make it out to be in the hockey media.

RGY is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
  #944
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,899
vCash: 500
Brooks didn't wrote McDonagh was at the meeting. McD is recruiting Schultz to join him. Mac knows how to reach Schultz. The Rangers have a 20% chance. Probably 25% chance. Don't see a fit with Ottawa. Kanata. No.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
  #945
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
The decision is supposed to come today or tomorrow right? Makes me think of LeBron's "Decision"

Ave Maria is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:09 AM
  #946
dmjt4160
Registered User
 
dmjt4160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Can someone tell this kid that I will be on a plane all day tomorrow and would appreciate him deciding today. Thanks!

dmjt4160 is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
  #947
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brooks didn't wrote McDonagh was at the meeting. McD is recruiting Schultz to join him. Mac knows how to reach Schultz. The Rangers have a 20% chance. Probably 25% chance. Don't see a fit with Ottawa. Kanata. No.
Ryan McDonagh (above) is believed to have joined the Rangers delegation in trying to recruit University of Wisconsin free agent defenseman Justin Schultz.

Not sure if that means he's there or not.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
  #948
True Blue 96
Registered User
 
True Blue 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: S. Huntington, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 119
vCash: 500
I am curious to why he wants to play only for Canadian teams or us? Why did he go to Wisconson instead of the CHL if he has this much love for Canada? Is there something that he doesn't like about America from his time at Wisconcon. I am happy that we are the only US team on the list (possibly Wild also) and I would love to add him because we have an immediate need on the blueline.

True Blue 96 is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:22 AM
  #949
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Ryan McDonagh (above) is believed to have joined the Rangers delegation in trying to recruit University of Wisconsin free agent defenseman Justin Schultz.

Not sure if that means he's there or not.
I would venture to say he's there then. Or had been there yesterday when they made their presentation.

RGY is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
  #950
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I would venture to say he's there then. Or had been there yesterday when they made their presentation.
Right, he could have said "joined the Rangers efforts" or similar. But to say he joined the party would likely indicate he was there in person or via video conference.

broadwayblue is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.