HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Zero chance the Rangers get him. Many believe thus little show is to hide the tampering.
Zero eh? Our odds are better than that, I would go as far to say 50/50. I think it's between us and Vancouver..But that's just me..

Old
06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Well, we either a) have a legitimate shot at getting Schultz, or b) they are using us to drive up the price, although I am not sure if that even applies here considering he is limited as to what he can receive anyway.

Rotoworld said 5 teams - Edm, Tor, NYR, Van, Ott

No reason to put us on a "list" of teams if he wasn't interested, he's going to get the max ELC anyway. Makes me think we have a shot, even if a small one. And if that is true, Sather and co. will lay it all out there trying to get this kid. And if he fails to get him, we'll survive.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Schultz has nothing to do with Del Zotto. RD and LD respectively. Huge gaping hole on the right side, that's why Schultz is desired by NYR and why we are a potential target. MDZ is a known commodity for offense from the blueline... something we cannot say about any other blueliner under contract. McD was drafted to be an offensive guy and he developed into this shutdown stud. Gilroy never seemed to transfer the offensive side to the NHL, not enough to be counted on.

One day one or all of Erixon, McIlrath, Schultz, Sauer, Skej will start to push out some established guys. Some day in the future when they earn a spot and prove their value. But I don't understand the rush to part with such an amazing core when they are under contract for amazing prices. Wait to see with free agency. Be patient with the trades. No one moved a Staal level player for Thornton, Heately, Hossa or Kovalchuk.

It's like Mitch Hedberg's line about not eating an apple because eventually it'll be a core. God forbid we enjoy the journey before they leave.
mcd was only 9 points behind del zotto without much pp time playing against the top players in the league all season. del zotto had like 14 of his 41 points on the pp vs mcdonagh's 2. you give mcd pp time and i guarantee he's a 40 point man. girardi and staal are both 30 point guy as well. del zotto's 40(14 pp) is not a godsend.. only real benefit is that he's 21 and will more than likely improve with experience(which can be said about mcdonagh as well-- he worked hard on his shot/offense and it showed)
player | pts | ppp | pts w/o pp
del zotto| 41 | 14 | 27
mcdna | 32 | 02 | 30
girardi | 29 | 10 | 19
*staal | 29 | 11 | 18

*last season

del zotto's good, but mcdonagh on the pp would presumably have outproduced him-- and mcdonagh is playing against the top players in the league.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:41 AM
DutchShamrock

Ok so lets get rid of MDZ because we obviously can get by on McD's 9 fewer points.

The jump from 8th to 1st had nothing to do with the big increase of blueline scoring. We are looking at potentially 2 rookies on d as it is. Replacing a top 4 guy at these prices is easier said than done. I'm waiting for an established performer before I ship anyone out.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Zero eh? Our odds are better than that, I would go as far to say 50/50. I think it's between us and Vancouver..But that's just me..
Maybe. It just seems the Leafs are so convinced that it has to be them.

It will be over soon. The guy is probably a bust anyway.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
mcd was only 9 points behind del zotto without much pp time playing against the top players in the league all season. del zotto had like 14 of his 41 points on the pp vs mcdonagh's 2. you give mcd pp time and i guarantee he's a 40 point man. girardi and staal are both 30 point guy as well. del zotto's 40(14 pp) is not a godsend.. only real benefit is that he's 21 and will more than likely improve with experience(which can be said about mcdonagh as well-- he worked hard on his shot/offense and it showed)
player | pts | ppp | pts w/o pp
del zotto| 41 | 14 | 27
mcdna | 32 | 02 | 30
girardi | 29 | 10 | 19
*staal | 29 | 11 | 18

*last season

del zotto's good, but mcdonagh on the pp would presumably have outproduced him-- and mcdonagh is playing against the top players in the league.

what the heck, let's play McD 40 min a night; MDZ is a 40 point PMD who I don't want moved regardless if we land Schultz. Let Schultz come here a beat out DZ before we do anything foolish like trading MDZ. Also having a proven dman other than McD play PP allows McD to get some rest.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Maybe. It just seems the Leafs are so convinced that it has to be them.

It will be over soon. The guy is probably a bust anyway.
Why would the Leafs think they're a sure thing? Because Gardiner is on the team?

I think fact is that no one knows for sure which way he's leaning.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:26 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why would the Leafs think they're a sure thing? Because Gardiner is on the team?

The fact that he's calling him a bust is pathetic. Has never seen the kid play. And the 26 teams that called about him were calling because he's not that good right?

Old
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

Gardiner and being in Canada are the only thing the Leafs offer him.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Levitate

Why did he go to UW if he's so hell bent on playing in Canada now? That whole narrative is kind of weird to me. It's not like I can't understand why he'd want to play in his "home country", but from all accounts he was ready and willing to play for Anahiem right up until the point where something clicked and he bailed on them. He could have gone to the CHL and played, but instead went to an American University

Dunno, maybe he got sick of the US, but his actions up until now haven't exactly screamed "I will never consider playing for any place that isn't in Canada"

Maybe he was just waiting to see what the ruling on the ACA was

Old
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
YES!!! Go McDonagh!

Old
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
I expect us to know today.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Why did he go to UW if he's so hell bent on playing in Canada now? That whole narrative is kind of weird to me. It's not like I can't understand why he'd want to play in his "home country", but from all accounts he was ready and willing to play for Anahiem right up until the point where something clicked and he bailed on them. He could have gone to the CHL and played, but instead went to an American University

Dunno, maybe he got sick of the US, but his actions up until now haven't exactly screamed "I will never consider playing for any place that isn't in Canada"

Maybe he was just waiting to see what the ruling on the ACA was
I just dont buy the whole Canada crap. He may very well still sign but to me its not because of that.

To me the factors are:

He has progressively gotten better at UW, becoming an elite NCAA defenseman.

He and his agents understand the rules under the cba. ANA had an awful year with trade rumors and a coaching change. He realized he could get out and choose where he wants to play with former teammates and friends on other teams as well as the prospect of playing at home

Old
06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I just dont buy the whole Canada crap. He may very well still sign but to me its not because of that.

To me the factors are:

He has progressively gotten better at UW, becoming an elite NCAA defenseman.

He and his agents understand the rules under the cba. ANA had an awful year with trade rumors and a coaching change. He realized he could get out and choose where he wants to play with former teammates and friends on other teams as well as the prospect of playing at home
I think he goes where he says "YES, I CAN WIN THERE"

Which is why i say VAN or us

Old
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Levitate

Well I'm not ready to say completely that the Canada stuff is total BS, just that it's somewhat weird to me how the situation has worked out. Obviously most of the teams he's talking to are Canadian so there's some truth to it.

The stuff about Anahiem's troubles is a good point, especially with Ryan on and off the trade block and how poorly that's being handled.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Mac Truck was at the meeting with Schultz. Atta boy!

Old
06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I think he goes where he says "YES, I CAN WIN THERE"

Which is why i say VAN or us
As a hockey fan there is just something that irks me about Toronto. There always seems to be issues up there with that team. Management changes, coaching changes, player movement, average player development, not a great farm system. I think they've missed the boat with their draft picks the last few years, scouting department should be restructured. Toronto hasnt made the playoffs in years. How come they haven't been able to find a standout player in any of the past 5-6 drafts? They traded for Kessel. They traded for Phaneuf. They havent developed a solid goaltender. What the hell happened to Schenn? I still think he is a good defenseman, but he was so highly touted. Threw money at guys like Komisarek and Connolly. How in the hell could you go there? Because Gardiner is there? If you say you want to win, then toronto shouldn't a consideration because you never know what direction that team is going in. Is next year going to be the year they finally make the playoffs? Let alone go far. They don't have the goods to compete with the tougher teams in the East.

Edmonton needs defense. But they are not a winning team. They have unbelievable talent up front. But it's raw, its's inexperienced. None of those guys have gone through an NHL playoffs. Smyth might be leaving. Their goaltending is weak. And they don't have a coach that has experienced winning anything really, no winning mentality. Ralph Krueger? The longtime Swiss national coach? There was an article that stated he is in fantastic shape. That doesn't mean wins. He was Renney's assistant. Renney doesn't know how to get over humps. Couldn't get the rangers in a deep playoff run. Couldn't get the oilers to a playoff berth though he didn't have much to work with other than really young offensive talent. EDM kissed their chances goodbye when they hired Krueger.

So I agree it is between VAN and NYR. OTT has an outside shot because they are an upcoming team with decent player development. I can't see Schultz pairing with Karlsson. Both are offensive dman. VAN has had a bad track record with developing their young players lately. Do you want to go there and be in Vigneault's doghouse and not get minutes?

I'm saying this as a hockey fan, NYR and Tortorella offer the best opportunity.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Well I'm not ready to say completely that the Canada stuff is total BS, just that it's somewhat weird to me how the situation has worked out. Obviously most of the teams he's talking to are Canadian so there's some truth to it.

The stuff about Anahiem's troubles is a good point, especially with Ryan on and off the trade block and how poorly that's being handled.
I just don't see it as any surprise he left anaheim even if he initially had intended to play there. Maybe he didn't want to play for Boudreau after he met him. Maybe he didn't like he is personality, attitude. Anaheim has that talent up front but were one of the worst teams most of the year. Hiller had injury woes. Their defense was so-so. They had to make a coaching change, firing Carlyle, who I think is a very good coach. Management couldn;t decide if Ryan was coming or going. He's being moved, then he's staying, now he's being moved again. They don't show a lot of positivity when it comes to player management. Unstable.

The current CBA allowed Schultz to become a free agent and choose. I don't think it's so shocking as some make it out to be in the hockey media.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Brooks didn't wrote McDonagh was at the meeting. McD is recruiting Schultz to join him. Mac knows how to reach Schultz. The Rangers have a 20% chance. Probably 25% chance. Don't see a fit with Ottawa. Kanata. No.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
The decision is supposed to come today or tomorrow right? Makes me think of LeBron's "Decision"

Old
06-29-2012, 11:09 AM
dmjt4160

Can someone tell this kid that I will be on a plane all day tomorrow and would appreciate him deciding today. Thanks!

Old
06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Brooks didn't wrote McDonagh was at the meeting. McD is recruiting Schultz to join him. Mac knows how to reach Schultz. The Rangers have a 20% chance. Probably 25% chance. Don't see a fit with Ottawa. Kanata. No.
Ryan McDonagh (above) is believed to have joined the Rangers delegation in trying to recruit University of Wisconsin free agent defenseman Justin Schultz.

Not sure if that means he's there or not.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
True Blue 96

I am curious to why he wants to play only for Canadian teams or us? Why did he go to Wisconson instead of the CHL if he has this much love for Canada? Is there something that he doesn't like about America from his time at Wisconcon. I am happy that we are the only US team on the list (possibly Wild also) and I would love to add him because we have an immediate need on the blueline.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:22 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Ryan McDonagh (above) is believed to have joined the Rangers delegation in trying to recruit University of Wisconsin free agent defenseman Justin Schultz.

Not sure if that means he's there or not.
I would venture to say he's there then. Or had been there yesterday when they made their presentation.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I would venture to say he's there then. Or had been there yesterday when they made their presentation.
Right, he could have said "joined the Rangers efforts" or similar. But to say he joined the party would likely indicate he was there in person or via video conference.

Closed Thread