HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bowman plans to "improve from within"

Old
06-29-2012, 12:01 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Washington got a dang good center for Eakin and a 2nd.
For one year, and the two teams are in different conferences i.e. NOT competing for the same playoff spot.

Eakin+2nd would be 1st + McNeil for Chicago

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:06 AM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Washington got a dang good center for Eakin and a 2nd.
Great. And if Dallas was an Eastern Conference team then maybe we have Ribeiro on our team. But they aren't and we don't. Their idiot GMJoe wanted Brandon Saad for Nicklas ****ing Grossman. They take crappier deals from Eastern conference teams even though they'll never be better than the Hawks anyways. So they make terrible trades with James Neal, Mike Ribeiro and didn't move Richards at the deadline and key him walk for nothing. Not our fault they are badly managed.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Remember last offseason when the Sharks made a bunch of bold moves after losing in the Western Conference finals. They acquired Brent Burns, Marty Havlat, and Michael Handzus. People on the main boards were commenting on the great job Wilson did and applauded his aggressiveness. 9 months later they barely make the playoffs and get knocked out 1st round. They also got TJ Galiardi at the deadline for a promising young player Jamie McGinn.. Oh yea he scored 8 goals and 5 assists in 17 games.

People also were saying how awesome the Flyers were for being so aggressive and going out and filling their huge goalie need with Bryzgalov(lmao at that abortion of a contract). The players they gave up ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

So being aggressive is nice and all... But it needs to be for the RIGHT deals. No point in satisfying the tards who want Kane traded, Keith gone, ect. No point in making a deal for the sake of it. There might be nothing good available. We haven't even hit free agency yet. Hopefully Stan is trying to improve the team and look for deals. If the team doesn't make improvements throughout the summer then I'll start to panic. For now im just excited for July 1st.
Kings were aggressive, filled the holes in their roster (not just during the past offseason, but during the year as well), and won the Cup.

There are awfully obvious gaps in Chicago's roster and they are fixable. The Hawks have plenty of assets to fill these holes, but by all accounts it appears they are content to stand pat and hope that the same roster as last year with a few prospects mixed in will somehow not be first round fodder once again.
But maybe not. It isn't July 1st yet... this is all simply an impression that management is giving off.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
HjamSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
If our team is so ****ing awful, then why aren't we in last place every year?? If Bowman is such a ******* awful GM why isn't our team in last place??

Honestly every should just shut the **** up and be glad we are even considered contenders for the cup for the next 10 years. You all act like we're the Colombus blue jackets.
I don't even want to imagine what would happen if BWC was a fan of an actually bad team in the NHL.

Jonestown would look like a carnival.

HjamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:28 AM
MagicSlap*

Nobody thinks our team is awful. What we doubt is that there's enough there for this team to win the Cup. The frustration is that we've got a very good start but the organization doesn't seem able to take that to the next level. There's a difference between thinking the team sucks and not beign content with being first round fodder.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:05 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Is this Bowman's way of saying that Rocky has hid the piggy bank and only to expect bargain bin players that will in the end contribute nothing to very little? It's quite a leap of faith to hope that the players would rebound, not saying it's impossible, but I'd like to see some effort in a contingency plan if it does not happen. The main thing is that NEEDS to be addressed is that #2 center and a strong second pairing D-man. If Bowman fails again and the team goes for a third 1st round exit, then I want him gone.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:11 AM
MagicSlap*

The team doesn't need a 2C, it needs center depth. Bolland would be a fine 2C if we had someone who could play 3C. Signing a good bottom 6 center would help our team a ton.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:22 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
The team doesn't need a 2C, it needs center depth. Bolland would be a fine 2C if we had someone who could play 3C. Signing a good bottom 6 center would help our team a ton.
Really? I've never seen anything from him that indicates an interest in taking on the responsibility of 2C. If anything he seems fine to hang out at 3C and not worry about anything other than that.

Quote:
Nobody thinks our team is awful. What we doubt is that there's enough there for this team to win the Cup. The frustration is that we've got a very good start but the organization doesn't seem able to take that to the next level. There's a difference between thinking the team sucks and not beign content with being first round fodder.
I think that coaching is a greater problem than the roster. We have elite skill both on O and D...yet our PP and PK continue to suck - and I think the problem goes back to coaching. It also goes back to Q's constant line changes and his ill-use of players at various positions. Even if we bring in more effective players, where's there any guarantee that Q will use them effectively? He probably wont'.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:26 AM
MagicSlap*

Um he put up almost 40 points this year with awful linemates playing against the toughest players in the NHL while starting 70% of the time in the dzone.

He had like three shifts in the top 6 before being demoted. He was demoted not because he didn't fit there but because we had nobody who was good enough to play 3C.

Bolland was always supposed to be the 2C of the future but the pipeline never panned out to give him a chance to be it. He'd be just fine there.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Kings were aggressive, filled the holes in their roster (not just during the past offseason, but during the year as well), and won the Cup.

There are awfully obvious gaps in Chicago's roster and they are fixable. The Hawks have plenty of assets to fill these holes, but by all accounts it appears they are content to stand pat and hope that the same roster as last year with a few prospects mixed in will somehow not be first round fodder once again.
But maybe not. It isn't July 1st yet... this is all simply an impression that management is giving off.
Perfectly put.

This team as is is not goon enough to win so why isn't Bowman making the necessary moves. The holes on this team are obvious and glaring and instead of getting a true top 4 Dman or instead of signing a back-up who could push for the #1 job Bowman resigns Oduya and Emery, neither of whom really earned a job coming back.

It seems that Bowman is happy with this team and I don't know why because this team isn't good enough. Granted it's not July 1. so we have to see what happens but seeing where this team has gone the last 2 years I am not holding my breath and if major changes aren't made by July 1, 2013, Bowman has to go.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:40 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

If the Hawks didn't deserve to be in the playoffs last year, than what about the LA this year with less points in a weaker division winning the Cup? Maybe the hawks should copy-cat the Kings and underachieve but ride a hot goaltending to the 8th seed. That's a plan.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Remember last offseason when the Sharks made a bunch of bold moves after losing in the Western Conference finals. They acquired Brent Burns, Marty Havlat, and Michael Handzus. People on the main boards were commenting on the great job Wilson did and applauded his aggressiveness. 9 months later they barely make the playoffs and get knocked out 1st round. They also got TJ Galiardi at the deadline for a promising young player Jamie McGinn.. Oh yea he scored 8 goals and 5 assists in 17 games.

People also were saying how awesome the Flyers were for being so aggressive and going out and filling their huge goalie need with Bryzgalov(lmao at that abortion of a contract). The players they gave up ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

So being aggressive is nice and all... But it needs to be for the RIGHT deals. No point in satisfying the tards who want Kane traded, Keith gone, ect. No point in making a deal for the sake of it. There might be nothing good available. We haven't even hit free agency yet. Hopefully Stan is trying to improve the team and look for deals. If the team doesn't make improvements throughout the summer then I'll start to panic. For now im just excited for July 1st.
You do realize that the flip side of Philly's aggression not working (and really it just kept them where they were) is that the same aggression from the other side brought L.A. a Stanley Cup.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Sarava

My view on Stan is this. You all know I'm a Dale Tallon supporter. I know he's not coming back. I'm skeptical of Stan Bowman. I wonder what qualifications got him the job in the first place.

But it is what it is. I hope he does a bang up job since he is here. I'm not impressed so far. The best part of Stan is the drafting...which is the scouts work. The same scouts that had a lot of misfires under Dale Tallon are now seeming to get some more hits. That's good news.

Stan has one more year in my book. If he chooses to not make any major moves or any major coaching changes - then its on him. I don't want to here any crap next summer about Q taking the fall. If this is Q's fault then Stan should get rid of him now. If this team disappoints again next season, then Stan needs to go, and probably Q and his staff with him.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:51 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
My view on Stan is this. You all know I'm a Dale Tallon supporter. I know he's not coming back. I'm skeptical of Stan Bowman. I wonder what qualifications got him the job in the first place.

But it is what it is. I hope he does a bang up job since he is here. I'm not impressed so far. The best part of Stan is the drafting...which is the scouts work. The same scouts that had a lot of misfires under Dale Tallon are now seeming to get some more hits. That's good news.

Stan has one more year in my book. If he chooses to not make any major moves or any major coaching changes - then its on him. I don't want to here any crap next summer about Q taking the fall. If this is Q's fault then Stan should get rid of him now. If this team disappoints again next season, then Stan needs to go, and probably Q and his staff with him.
I agree re scouting. My problem with Stan is I have a feeling that Rocky and McDouche are pretty interventionist about things - meaning, I'm not convinced the failings are those of Stan alone. If he were a loose cannon moron like Burke, I'd say cut him loose in a second...but re: stan, i have a feeling that if we fired him and replaced him the next gm would be dealing with the same "head office" stupidity (keep in mind that Rocky is the guy claiming that the Hawks are in the red financially).

Bowman's no innovative leader, that's for sure...but before turfing him, let's dump and replace Q and Kitchen please.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I agree re scouting. My problem with Stan is I have a feeling that Rocky and McDouche are pretty interventionist about things - meaning, I'm not convinced the failings are those of Stan alone. If he were a loose cannon moron like Burke, I'd say cut him loose in a second...but re: stan, i have a feeling that if we fired him and replaced him the next gm would be dealing with the same "head office" stupidity (keep in mind that Rocky is the guy claiming that the Hawks are in the red financially).

Bowman's no innovative leader, that's for sure...but before turfing him, let's dump and replace Q and Kitchen please.
If Q and Kitchen are the problem and need to go, then fine...do it now. Don't ruin another year. That's what I'm saying. It's a GM's job to decide these things.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:08 AM
MagicSlap*

Stan ****ed up by bringing in Smith. That's not a thing a good GM does, let your coach coach. By doing that he gave Q an excuse to point to for his failures. Had he not done that and Q continued to suck he could've canned Q.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:26 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
If Q and Kitchen are the problem and need to go, then fine...do it now. Don't ruin another year. That's what I'm saying. It's a GM's job to decide these things.
yeah, i agree. my problem is i'm worried that stan is merely a mouth piece for a larger committee, which stars greedy rocky and mcdouche

it will be interesting to see whether q makes it through the season. i think we've got enough offense that, if all are heathy, kane, toews, hossa, and sharp should be able to score enough goals to offset the nightmare goal situation and spotty defence...assuming that the pk and pp fail as anticipated, i'm wondering whether stan gets desperate enough that he takes out q and kitchen before he allows the boom to come down on himself.

...it will be nice to see what youngsters make the team this year. if nothing else we can look forward to watching the rookies forced into more grocery store cooking demos for BHTV.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Stan ****ed up by bringing in Smith. That's not a thing a good GM does, let your coach coach. By doing that he gave Q an excuse to point to for his failures. Had he not done that and Q continued to suck he could've canned Q.
I thought he wasn't a good.GM because he didn't take action. Then when he does, it's a bad thing?

Our special teams have no excuse for being as bad as they are. You know it, I know it, and clearly Stan knows it, so he did something about it rather than punting it off until later. That's a good move.

Q got mad. Stan gave him his toy special teams back, and they still sucked. Q said it was Stan's fault, Stan said do what you need to do, and gave him just enough rope to hang himself with. Again, good move by my reckoning. Q is a HoF-worthy coach, so Stan gave him one more chance to get his act together.

Stan's betting the remainder of his career in Chicago on this year, so if he really thinks he's given the roster all it needs, then he better be damn well sure it has a coach that can take it to the next level. If that means firing Q (a very real possibility), Stan should already have a damn good replacement picked out and ready to go. Even if it means asking a favor from Dear Old Dad.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Quote:
The best part of Stan is the drafting...which is the scouts work. The same scouts that had a lot of misfires under Dale Tallon are now seeming to get some more hits. That's good news.
The amateur scouting has been good, wish I could say the same about the pro scouting.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
Is this Bowman's way of saying that Rocky has hid the piggy bank and only to expect bargain bin players that will in the end contribute nothing to very little? It's quite a leap of faith to hope that the players would rebound, not saying it's impossible, but I'd like to see some effort in a contingency plan if it does not happen. The main thing is that NEEDS to be addressed is that #2 center and a strong second pairing D-man. If Bowman fails again and the team goes for a third 1st round exit, then I want him gone.

This is a legitimate question, and I doubt weíll ever really know the answer.

But one thing is certain in my mind: If Hawks management does the same routine this summer, whether it is Stan ineptness or the Hawks penny pinching, it is time for fans to stay away from the UC. That would get everyones attention.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:34 AM
ndgt10

Hawks have the 2nd least amount of cap space to spend Sunday. With the way this team is currently constructed, it appears Bo hasn't spent his money wisely.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Hawks have the 2nd least amount of cap space to spend Sunday. With the way this team is currently constructed, it appears Bo hasn't spent his money wisely.
That is true but the Hawks have 23 guys signed, look at most of the other teams....they have more room but have like 18 guys signed so that money will be divided among more players.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:19 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
But one thing is certain in my mind: If Hawks management does the same routine this summer, whether it is Stan ineptness or the Hawks penny pinching, it is time for fans to stay away from the UC. That would get everyones attention.

1. Not gonna happen
2. Doesn't solve a damn thing if it did

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
BobbyJet

/\
In the short term, a half empy UC wonít do anything for the team. But Hawks management needs to know that the product on the ice is more important than all the marketing glitz weíve witnessed since winning the SC. Itís easy to get the impression that their strategy is ďthe goal was reached now letís milk it for all its worthĒ. Thatís fine as long as going forward we ice the best team possible and that simply isnít happening at the moment. Yes, Stanís hands were certainly tied due to the cap problems and high bonus payments, and he did a decent job in making some difficult decisions, but that was then, and this is now. I donít want to see a replay of the sad sack era we endured under the Wirtz Sr.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:45 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/\
In the short term, a half empy UC wonít do anything for the team. But Hawks management needs to know that the product on the ice is more important than all the marketing glitz weíve witnessed since winning the SC. Itís easy to get the impression that their strategy is ďthe goal was reached now letís milk it for all its worthĒ. Thatís fine as long as going forward we ice the best team possible and that simply isnít happening at the moment. Yes, Stanís hands were certainly tied due to the cap problems and high bonus payments, and he did a decent job in making some difficult decisions, but that was then, and this is now. I donít want to see a replay of the sad sack era we endured under the Wirtz Sr.
Not very realistic. Hawks tix will be a hot item for the foreseeable future. Everybody needs to stop acting like this team doesn't spend money. It does.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote