HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there any love left for our forgotten young centers?

Old
06-29-2012, 09:51 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
To be fair, Adam had a great Traverse City Tournament and, as I remember, a strong training camp and preseason as well. He wasn't exactly thrown into the fire when Hecht was hurt, he did earn a spot on his own, IMO. (additionally, I believe Szczechura was injured to start the season as well).
Earning a spot is quite different than being ready to center the top line. Adam was definately rushed into a top line spot due to injuries.

All the things he accomplished that summer would not in anyway have put him ahead of Roy or Hecht at center if they were healthy. Factor in Leino, the big UFA signing they wanted at center, and Adam would have had a tough time making the roster. Its not like his linemates that tore it up in Traverse City with him made the team out of camp.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
True. I think Catenacci as a 4th line winger would pose some problems just with his speed- speeding up opposition decisions, forcing quicker passing, capitalzing on mistakes for easy scoring chances, etc.

I always thought Brian Holzinger would have been great in that role, and sort of see Catenacci in the same light.
I'm never a fan of direct player comparisons (patent pending). However, there are two guys who come to mind as speed checkers with a bit of sand in their game who they could model themselves after -- Helm at the high end and Moore at the low end.

06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm never a fan of direct player comparisons (patent pending). However, there are two guys who come to mind as speed checkers with a bit of sand in their game who they could model themselves after -- Helm at the high end and Moore at the low end.

I'm hoping Cat has enough of an offensive game to be Marchand-like.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm hoping Cat has enough of an offensive game to be Marchand-like.
He's got to up his ability to act like a dirty, gaping sphincter to get there.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:24 AM
joshjull

Quote:
This is true

Old
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Earning a spot is quite different than being ready to center the top line. Adam was definately rushed into a top line spot due to injuries.

All the things he accomplished that summer would not in anyway have put him ahead of Roy or Hecht at center if they were healthy. Factor in Leino, the big UFA signing they wanted at center, and Adam would have had a tough time making the roster. Its not like his linemates that tore it up in Traverse City with him made the team out of camp.
If Hecht hadn't been hurt, Adam may have been sent down, agreed, but I think he would have made it very difficult for them. Remember most of us assumed that Matt Ellis was going to Rochester last year. If Hecht had been healthy, it would have been an easy move is to send Ellis to Rochester and give Adam a spot.

I agree that he got a battlefield promotion to brevet second line center because of Hecht, but I think Adam had made a strong case for at least breaking camp with the team.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
If Hecht hadn't been hurt, Adam may have been sent down, agreed, but I think he would have made it very difficult for them. Remember most of us assumed that Matt Ellis was going to Rochester last year. If Hecht had been healthy, it would have been an easy move is to send Ellis to Rochester and give Adam a spot.

I agree that he got a battlefield promotion to brevet second line center because of Hecht, but I think Adam had made a strong case for at least breaking camp with the team.
I don't disagree with you. But its a very different thing for a youngster to come in on a 2nd/3rd line shielded by a top line than being pushed onto that top line with our very best players. In that sense I think he was rushed. But in fairness to the Sabres they had no options at the time.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-29-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

Well done!

Getting "sphincter" into a post, and have it make sense.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Revelate

Quote:
As an optimist, that's exactly what I have in mind for Catenacci. Helm is one of my favorites.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post

Well done!

Getting "sphincter" into a post, and have it make sense.
Confucious say "Getting 'sphincter' into post hard, getting post in spincter harder"

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Confucious say "Getting 'sphincter' into post hard, getting post in spincter harder"
I logged in to LOL at this. That's how special a comment it was...

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:27 PM
jfb392

Quote:
The downside to the role is that it requires a fair amount of hockey sense -- the knock on Catenacci is hockey sense.
Well, I think his offensive hockey sense is an issue, but he has some grit and tenacity to go along with a willingness to be a defensive player.
He'll need some seasoning, but I think he can play that role.

Compare that to someone like Sundher, who seemingly lacks defensive instincts and tenacity, and Catenacci is a much better fit.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
slip

Quote:
Brilliant!

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, I think his offensive hockey sense is an issue, but he has some grit and tenacity to go along with a willingness to be a defensive player.
He'll need some seasoning, but I think he can play that role.

Compare that to someone like Sundher, who seemingly lacks defensive instincts and tenacity, and Catenacci is a much better fit.
To me, DC projects out safer as a checking role player than as a pure offensive talent. Not that he couldn't develop into a top 6 guy, sometimes things happen, but from observation, using his tools on the defensive side seems like a clearer path to the show.

Quote:
That's supremely well done. Signature worthy even.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
goldstandard333

This kind of center depth means that the cream will rise to the top. If one of these young "forgotten" centers earns a spot on the team they will have beaten out other top prospects. This will only better the team the Sabres ice.

goldstandard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:07 PM
jfb392

Quote:
To me, DC projects out safer as a checking role player than as a pure offensive talent. Not that he couldn't develop into a top 6 guy, sometimes things happen, but from observation, using his tools on the defensive side seems like a clearer path to the show.
Yeah, that's what I've always seen him as.
From the moment we drafted him, I said he'd be a checker.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstandard333 View Post
This kind of center depth means that the cream will rise to the top. If one of these young "forgotten" centers earns a spot on the team they will have beaten out other top prospects. This will only better the team the Sabres ice.
While I agree with the principle and the point, I just want to point out for consideration that those guys could definitely make the team without beating out the higher-rated center prospects. They'd have to do so as wingers, unless Girgensons himself ends up a winger. I say Girgensons because I don't see Grigorenko ever being anything but a center not counting a short acclimation period, Hodgson should be a center (though Play4Miracles is not wrong that he would probably work out at wing if that becomes desirable), and Girgensons would likely thrive every bit as much on wing.

Alternatively, a guy like Catenacci could make the team as a 4th line center. He has the speed and pretty decent stocky frame to play an energy game if he works towards it as discussed in this thread, and the 4th line may be the early landing spot for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yeah, that's what I've always seen him as.
From the moment we drafted him, I said he'd be a checker.
Mr. Know-It-All

I totally agree. And I don't want to stake my sterling reputation on it, but I'm pretty sure I felt the same way: could top out as a second-line player but at worst should be able to mold into a two-way speedster on the 3rd line. I definitely think that looks like a swell value pick in another few years.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote