HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Samsung Galaxy S3 or iPhone4s?

Old
06-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

vCash: 500
good luck fitting that tablet into your pocket, lol

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:11 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

Your 2nd option.

06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
jamwires

Galaxy S3 was definitely the easy choice here.

I was a longtime iPhone user, and switched to the S2 LTE in October. The S2 LTE blows away the 4S. I did all my research, and at the time, I worked in the industry, so I was able to spend some serious time with each. For people that aren't good with technology, the iPhone is a better fit - but anyone remotely technologically inclined, the S2 was by far the better choice. Now that there's an S3, the gap has widened dramatically.

I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro, but when it comes to phones, I think Samsung has really beaten the tired design of the iPhone. Maybe the iPhone 5 will address the issues, maybe it won't - we'll find out in a few months I guess!

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tribute View Post
You will not be disappointed. If you need help figuring some stuff out let me know.
Will do man, thank you!

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Bogh
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Thanks guys! I've decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy s3. Just waiting for it to come out next week!

Congratulations on your new (future) smartphone! I am happy to own one myself.
I used to have iPhones but got tired of jail breaking the devices to be able to customize them fully.
Also, I ****ING HATE ITUNES!

I can easily understand why some would pick iPhones over Android though, it's a matter of taste.
Two competing smartphone OS is better than having a single stagnating anyway. (Intentional ignored Windows OS)
If iPhone 5 is groundbreaking, maybe the Apple crowd can tip their hats in thanks to the S3?

Some have written here that a quad core CPU is worthless. Well I disagree.
Sure the apps might not be optimized to use it, but when you run multiple things on your phone it gets handy.
For example when I am watching a video on my phone, I can shrink the video to a smaller window and browse
the web or text somebody while the video is still running in the foreground.
I haven't experienced any lag or slow downs ever and I multitask a lot.

I have used the 4s myself and I think this comparison of the phones is very accurate: http://www.techdigest.tv/2012/05/samsung_galaxy_42.html

Good luck with your new shiny toy...

Bogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

They both have their downfalls, but iPhones won't crash or freeze up on you, like the androids do!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Bogh
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
They both have their downfalls, but iPhones won't crash or freeze up on you, like the androids do!
That isn't true. iOS is far from bug free.
I have an iPhone 3gs, iPad 2 and the kid an iPod.
I often have lockups and spontaneous reboots, so you must not use your device much.

Last edited by Bogh: 06-25-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Bogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

I haven't turned off my macbook in 7 years, and it hasn't crashed once.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieghetti View Post
I haven't turned off my macbook in 7 years, and it hasn't crashed once.
iphone is not a computer. Many windows users can say the same thing if you know how to use a computer properly and not waste it on downloading crap you don't need. The galaxy s3 is a computer just like the s2 was. Iphone is just a toy for those who like the simple, easy to use, technology illiterate feel the the phone gives off. With the galaxy s2 and s3 it has plenty of things that an iphone would never let you do. If you really want an iphone because of it is look, get a s3 and you can change it to look like an iphone for those apple fanboys out there. Then just scrape off the the samsung logo and get a case to make it look bulkier. This works especially well with the s2 because of its shape. The s3 is a noticeably bigger and has sharper curves on its edges.

Btw I did not do this to my s2 but you will notice how easily you could make it look like an iphone.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

Except for the fact that you could serve dinner on it.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I only make calls on my blackberry playbook.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
iphone is not a computer. Many windows users can say the same thing if you know how to use a computer properly and not waste it on downloading crap you don't need. The galaxy s3 is a computer just like the s2 was. Iphone is just a toy for those who like the simple, easy to use, technology illiterate feel the the phone gives off. With the galaxy s2 and s3 it has plenty of things that an iphone would never let you do. If you really want an iphone because of it is look, get a s3 and you can change it to look like an iphone for those apple fanboys out there. Then just scrape off the the samsung logo and get a case to make it look bulkier. This works especially well with the s2 because of its shape. The s3 is a noticeably bigger and has sharper curves on its edges.

Btw I did not do this to my s2 but you will notice how easily you could make it look like an iphone.
I have an iPhone and I'm not technologically illiterate. The irony here is that not only do you come off as more of a "fanboy" than anyone posting about Apple here, but you also sound like a pretentious jerk. I'm glad that you're happy with your super-awesome-amazing pocket computer, but I too am happy with my little obsolete toy. Sometimes it's best just to keep your opinions to yourself... This is one of those times...

Off you go now, doesn't your Facebook need a new status or something...

Ice-Tray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:18 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Check out this article from Ireland. Apparently one of the new S3's caught fire from the inside out. While the article doesn't fully point the finger at the S3, its not good press.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...estigation.htm

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:39 AM
hockeywoot

To the OP: Either are fine choices. Depends on preferences.
S3 is the newest, so spec-wise its an excellent choice.
If you have friends with either, you should try get your hands on one to test it out.

I used to have an iphone, but it got stolen. Replaced it with a Galaxy S2.
Loved it so far. Camera is better on the iphone IMO. But I love the UI, 4.7" display, and having the removable battery is handy. (I got a spare as a throw-in)

Both phones pretty much do exactly what you want, differences aren't too substantial, so you can't really go wrong with either. Remember, you're buying a phone, not a house.

Some of the posts here are hilarious. The way some people are defending their phones,
its as if someone was personally insulting their family lol.

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
SENATOR

I wish they would make a movie out of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSA6GV8LpG0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

SENATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENATOR View Post
The real unsolved mystery is why someone would post this in this thread.

And, to a lesser extent, how did the History Channel let it become such a joke?

Just kidding. Thanks for posting, very interesting read.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
jamwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
Check out this article from Ireland. Apparently one of the new S3's caught fire from the inside out. While the article doesn't fully point the finger at the S3, its not good press.

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...estigation.htm
and for some balance - here's an article I easily found about a 4S catching fire - among many others... http://www.tmcnet.com/topics/article...mid-flight.htm

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:37 PM
enviro61

I've tried to like Android, truly I have. I have had 3 Android phones and 2 tablets but Apple is better, period. It might not have the best specs on paper but it works flawlessly and smoothly.

Apple is #1 and will be #1 for a long time. It's sad really but it's the cycle of the being the most popular product resulting in the the development of the most apps as well as the most refined apps. Their customer service is top notch as well.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:39 PM
the tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
I've tried to like Android, truly I have. I have had 3 Android phones and 2 tablets but Apple is better, period. It might not have the best specs on paper but it works flawlessly and smoothly.

Apple is #1 and will be #1 for a long time. It's sad really but it's the cycle of the being the most popular product resulting in the the development of the most apps as well as the most refined apps. Their customer service is top notch as well.
false

the tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tribute View Post
false
Pretty sure my opinion is not false and I'm not sure anyone could dispute the fact there are more apps for the iPhone.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:29 AM
gmyx

I have been using the Galaxy S for a year and a half and I love the phone - problems and all. I have also used for a short time an iPad.

Go with that please you the most. The thing I like about Android is the openness of the platform. Rooting is fine and has become expected from manufactures to make rooting simple. Apple still fights Jailbreaking.

I use Cyanogenmod 7.2 (nightly) on my phone and updating takes less than 5 minutes. Cyanogenmod has fixed all the issues I had witht eh bad Bell build of the OS. Note that the GPS issues with the phone where software related and not hardware - the chip works fine. The only issue I have is reception with this phone - it seems underpowered.

gmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
umma gumma

My dad can beat up your dad.

umma gumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by umma gumma View Post
My dad can beat up your dad.
No way your dad can beat up "the tribute" s dad.

If you think so he will tell you otherwise

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
biffs

iPhone is great, I've learned to live in the little box that Apple builds around it and I somehow get by. I used to jailbreak so I could download hacked apps like TomTom, but gave that up after updating the iOS for the 6th time, now I just drink the juice they feed me and update when iTunes says I should update.

Honestly, its not that bad, the iphone is small, the screen is nice, my camera is balls now because its scratched up like crazy (lens protrudes slightly past the glass black), but it used to be really good.

I've bought an iphone dock for my alarm clock, switched my music into iTunes and recently got on the iTunes match bandwagon. I hate OSX with a passion, but the iPhone just gets the job done for me enough that I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon (and I'm using the iPhone 4). Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone computer illiterate (I do software dev), I just don't have the time to care about setting up my phone again and I don't dislike my iphone enough to switch (even to upgrade to a new one).

biffs is offline   Reply With Quote