HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Erik Johnson News

Old
06-28-2012, 06:46 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
I've seen nothing from Erik Johnson that says he should have been drafted first overall. What I have seen from him, is the kind of play that gets a former #1 overall pick traded early in his career for another defender who is arguably already better. He doesn't play physical for his size, he's not a good puck possession guy, he's not even Jack Johnson. I wouldn't trade Luke Schenn for him either.

All that said, kid's still young and not everyone is Erik Karlsson. He still has time to grow into the game, but I don't see him commanding anything monstrous in trade were he to get moved again, and I don't see him making elite $ on his next contract.
Then someone hasn't been watching him since he came over to the Avs. Shattenkirk, while excellent in his own right, is not "arguably better", unless you're only looking at Offensive Stats, and that would simply be because Shattenkirk is an offensive defensemen.

What fans of EVERY OTHER TEAM but the Avalanche don't seem to either understand or WANT to realize is that Shattenkirk was included in the deal because of Stefan Elliott and/or Tyson Barrie.

And I don't understand why fans of other teams can't realize that the Avs and Blues both got what they wanted out of this deal? I don't see them talking s**t on Stewart at this point, they all say that he's going to have a "bounce back" year, even though it had been widely speculated during his draft year and time with the Avs that he had work ethic issues, and we saw that this last year.

Originally the main centerpieces of the deal were Stewart+ for EJ+

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I've seen nothing from Erik Johnson that says he should have been drafted first overall. What I have seen from him, is the kind of play that gets a former #1 overall pick traded early in his career for another defender who is arguably already better. He doesn't play physical for his size, he's not a good puck possession guy, he's not even Jack Johnson. I wouldn't trade Luke Schenn for him either.

All that said, kid's still young and not everyone is Erik Karlsson. He still has time to grow into the game, but I don't see him commanding anything monstrous in trade were he to get moved again, and I don't see him making elite $ on his next contract.

This is quite frankly one of the most outlandish claims I've ever seen on these boards. Kudos.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Then someone hasn't been watching him since he came over to the Avs. Shattenkirk, while excellent in his own right, is not "arguably better", unless you're only looking at Offensive Stats, and that would simply be because Shattenkirk is an offensive defensemen.

What fans of EVERY OTHER TEAM but the Avalanche don't seem to either understand or WANT to realize is that Shattenkirk was included in the deal because of Stefan Elliott and/or Tyson Barrie.

And I don't understand why fans of other teams can't realize that the Avs and Blues both got what they wanted out of this deal? I don't see them talking s**t on Stewart at this point, they all say that he's going to have a "bounce back" year, even though it had been widely speculated during his draft year and time with the Avs that he had work ethic issues, and we saw that this last year.

Originally the main centerpieces of the deal were Stewart+ for EJ+
The reason that Shattenkirk was included in the deal was because St Louis required him and Stewart to make the deal plausible. The deal was made because Elliott and Barrie were waiting in the minors and could conceivably take over.

EJ, during the second half of the season, was as good as Doughty or better. Doughty obviously stepped it up in the playoffs, but EJ was a top 10 defenseman towards the end of the season, and there's a lot of reasons to believe he can keep this up moving forward.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post

This is quite frankly one of the most outlandish claims I've ever seen on these boards. Kudos.
I wouldn't be surprised if that particular poster was perpetuating upon the sarcastic tone this entire thread has been engulfed in.

Can't post without stepping over someone's sarcasm landmine.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeduck View Post
The reason that Shattenkirk was included in the deal was because St Louis required him and Stewart to make the deal plausible. The deal was made because Elliott and Barrie were waiting in the minors and could conceivably take over.

EJ, during the second half of the season, was as good as Doughty or better. Doughty obviously stepped it up in the playoffs, but EJ was a top 10 defenseman towards the end of the season, and there's a lot of reasons to believe he can keep this up moving forward.
Which is what I did mean, the Avs didn't hesitate to move Shattenkirk because of A) The caliber of the defenseman coming back, and B) Because they did have Elliott and/or Barrie who were up-and-coming.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Avs71

Quote:

You could have just claimed the whole post as outlandish and it would have worked too. (edit: Maybe Lonewolfe is right and its sarcasm)

I don't even know why this is a thread.
Quote:
"Last time I was restricted (in 2010 with the Blues), I let the negotiations get to me a little bit," said Johnson, 24, who completed his fifth year in the NHL and his second contract. "This time around, I'm experienced and I'll just let my agent handle it. But there's one thing I want to make clear to my agent: I want to be here for the long haul and I love what this group has to offer and everything this organization is all about. For me, it's a no-brainer to want to come back."
-EJ

Denverpost

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
HooliganX2

As a Blues fan people really under rate EJ. EJ in general lacked consistency with the Blues as a young player missing a year of development that is to be expected. Anyone that has watched him play can tell he has all the tools to be a great defenseman. I would take EJ over Shattenkirk personally. If EJ could just get a little meaner I think he would also be better.

The Blues had Pietrangelo who made EJ expendable. If it was not for Pietrangelo's development into a top defenseman EJ would have never been traded.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:59 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
You could have just claimed the whole post as outlandish and it would have worked too. (edit: Maybe Lonewolfe is right and its sarcasm)

I don't even know why this is a thread.

-EJ

Denverpost
The thing a lot of people don't realize is EJ is a really loyal player. He 100% did not want to get traded from a young bad Blues team. It was nothing against Colorado btw i think he has a loyalty to whatever franchise he plays for and as long as that team wants him he would like to stay with that team. Colorado is a young talented team. He's the cornerstone of their defense. Really why would he want to leave?

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
As a Blues fan people really under rate EJ. EJ in general lacked consistency with the Blues as a young player missing a year of development that is to be expected. Anyone that has watched him play can tell he has all the tools to be a great defenseman. I would take EJ over Shattenkirk personally. If EJ could just get a little meaner I think he would also be better.

The Blues had Pietrangelo who made EJ expendable. If it was not for Pietrangelo's development into a top defenseman EJ would have never been traded.
And this had to have been what Colordo was also thinking on their end when St. Louis requested Shattenkirk to be included, that they are confident that one of or both of Barrie/Elliott will be able to step into that role, so in order to acquire what they wanted, they felt confident in inlcuding him.

The Blues were patient with Pietrangelo's development, and it's paying off nicely for them.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:

You sound like an independent voter that just got into politics the day of the election, and you think you know what you're talking about, but in the end you make yourself look foolish.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Simple logic

If A = B

And B = C

Then A = C

Translated into hockey terms

EJ = JVR

JVR = Luke Schenn

Luke Schenn = EJ

Although this may be unlikely. As we know, Philly could've gotten EJ for JVR anytime they chose but they decided to get Luke Schenn instead. This implies that JVR and Luke Schenn are equal in terms of value and both more valuable than EJ.

Perhaps EJ + 2nd rounder for Luke Schenn.

What do Flyers fans think?
Hehe...I used to think you could make equations like that but it really doesn't work. You need to use the Quadratic Formula for it to make any sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The thing a lot of people don't realize is EJ is a really loyal player. He 100% did not want to get traded from a young bad Blues team. It was nothing against Colorado btw i think he has a loyalty to whatever franchise he plays for and as long as that team wants him he would like to stay with that team. Colorado is a young talented team. He's the cornerstone of their defense. Really why would he want to leave?
A) Giroux is on the cover of NHL13!!
B) Their GM has a $10 haircut

It could be any of one of these factors that changes his mind set really.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:14 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Hehe...I used to think you could make equations like that but it really doesn't work. You need to use the Quadratic Formula for it to make any sense at all.

Shouldn't it be +1 and -1

+1 = Avs
-1 = Flyers

He can be both at the same time?!?!?

RTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Looks pretty good. All we need to do is send Stefan Elliott to Flyers as well. I hope we get Rinaldo and Shelly in an Avs jersey.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Leaked photo from NHL.com.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Damn that actually does look good

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:56 AM
shadow1

Quote:

He stepped things up in the physical department last season, and I completely disagree about his puck possession skills. He's very good carrying it out of his own zone, and his skating ability for a player his size is unparallelled across the league.

I actually have the stats to back up the physicality part:

Oct-Nov-Dec (35 games):
1 goal, 13 assists, -11, 78 SOG, 13 PIM, 47 BS, 47 hits
Jan-Feb-Mar-Apr (38 games): 3 goals, 9 assists, +4, 77 SOG, 13 PIM, 47 BS, 76 hits

Even though almost everything else was identical, he stepped it up a bit physically, producing beneficial results in his own zone.

I don't know how good EJ will end up being, but I can confidently say he's better right now than Eric Brewer ever was, which alone makes him worth hanging onto long term.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
Shouldn't it be +1 and -1

+1 = Avs
-1 = Flyers

He can be both at the same time?!?!?
No... the discriminant is 0... it's 1 + 0 and 1 -0

1+0 = avs
1-0 = 1+0 = avs

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:25 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
No... the discriminant is 0... it's 1 + 0 and 1 -0

1+0 = avs
1-0 = 1+0 = avs
lol, I am dyslexic.

RTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:39 AM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

I already posted this in the lookalikes thread, but does EJ not look like Jax from Sons of Anarchy in that picture?

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Looks pretty good. All we need to do is send Stefan Elliott to Flyers as well. I hope we get Rinaldo and Shelly in an Avs jersey.
I...I can't believe it.....he's....gone!

I hope we get that "JUSTGLADTOBEHERE" guy you guys drafted...

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:

It was a joke. At least you're laughing. People take stuff entirely too seriously around here.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I think you missed the point...as far as anyone can figure, he is allowed to sign right now. The claim that, as per the CBA, he has to wait until July 1 is what has everyone confused...
Right back atcha?

Blues88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
Right back atcha?
Huh?

The OP's source suggested that Johnson can't sign until July 1--which the OP then read to suggest there was nothing news-worthy here.

There might not be anything news-worthy here, but it isn't because he can't sign, since, you know, he can.

This is truly a bizarre thread.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
I already posted this in the lookalikes thread, but does EJ not look like Jax from Sons of Anarchy in that picture?
Serious question.... is Erik Johnson a mix of Irish, Swedish and Japanese? He looks like he is part Asian.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote