HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
  #301
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/stat...12917380567040

As much as I hate Marty...seeing him anywhere but Jersey would be very weird...
Hahahah someone tweeted, "Tim Hortons likely to sign him."

Miamipuck is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
  #302
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
3rd pairing depth has to be addressed. i think it will.
yea it will, maybe Schultz alone, maybe him and more and maybe just a vet like Kubina cause they cant go into the yr like last having to pick up a guy like Woywitka on waivers or use a career minor leaguer as the 6th Dman in Bickel

Vitto79 is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
  #303
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
If the Pens roll into the PO's with a healthy Crosby, they have a shot to beat anyone. They already did it once with a cheap supporting cast and arguably less talent. It won't be easy but there will be older players willing to give it a go for one year for a ring and some young players will pan out.

On their last Cup team, if you remove Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar and Fleury from the equation, only one other player (Orpick) had a cap hit of even $3MM!



Staal left because he didn't want to be 3rd banana on the team not because of money. We'll see where Staal's production tops out but I'm not sure he'll ever be a point per game player, which would mean he wouldn't be worth one of the top end contracts anyway.



I guess it all depends on your definition of "generational talent" but other than Crosby, they don't have any in my book. You can't be called a generational talent if other players are scoring as much as you. Malkin's one of the best scorers in the league, no doubt, but in any given year D. Sedin or Stamkos or OV or Backstrom could outscore him. Don't mean to get off topic but wanted to mention that.



The NHL and, I guess, the NFL are the most unpredictable sports. Teams win the Cup and then struggle the next year. An 8 seed won the Cup this year. The stars have to align just right for a team wo win the Cup. Saying the Pens, or any other team, will be better or worse next season than any other playoff team from this season is nothing to bank on.
I still stand by what i said. I dont think the nhl is too unpredictable. Crosby and Malkin came to play in the playoffs they had no defense. They had no depth.

You cant bank on the evidence that LAK was an 8 seed. If you are an honest fan you know they were a much better team than their seeding suggested. They had added Mike Richards and subtracted players. They took time to gel. Dustin Brown picked it up in the second half. Their defense came together. Added Carter. Had great depth.

RGY is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
  #304
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Nice! Smart move if only for the interim until Gabs comes back. when he does, hopefully we'll finally have a good offense.

I'll take Guastaud over Konopka without even blinking.

I'll take Tootoo as well.

Moen or Stempniak.
I've never been a fan of "overpaying" for a bottom 6 Forward. I don't know how it plays out statistically but it's always seemed to me that those kinds of players need to be hungry and when they get the big payday, a lot of them don't live up to expectations. Either because they're making relatively big bucks and get complacent or they feel the need to do more than they can to earn their keep.


Last edited by Chief: 06-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Chief is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
  #305
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I still stand by what i said. I dont think the nhl is too unpredictable. Crosby and Malkin came to play in the playoffs they had no defense. They had no depth.

You cant bank on the evidence that LAK was an 8 seed. If you are an honest fan you know they were a much better team than their seeding suggested. They had added Mike Richards and subtracted players. They took time to gel. Dustin Brown picked it up in the second half. Their defense came together. Added Carter. Had great depth.
So you're telling me that last June, you would have predicted an LA/PHO and NJ/NY Conference Finals and an LA/NJ Finals? If so, you should hit Vegas now!

Chief is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
  #306
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
So you're telling me that last June, you would have predicted an LA/PHO and NJ/NY Conference Finals and an LA/NJ Finals? If so, you should hit Vegas now!
Maybe not NJ but anyone surprised by LAK doesn't pay attention enough to hockey outside the team they support.

Didnt see PHO in the WCF but saw them and NJ as playoff teams.

RGY is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
  #307
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
parise is NOT signing with the devils, if he does i would be truly shocked

if he hasn't signed by now he won't, he wants money and a place to win

its between probably 5-6 teams, and whoever gives him the most money will probably get him

he probably is willing to take a little less to stay east, it will probably come down to penguins/wings/rangers
Parise to Wild, give Canadiens a shot..

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
  #308
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Maybe not NJ but anyone surprised by LAK doesn't pay attention enough to hockey outside the team they support.
Yeah, LA was definitely expected to be a contender in the West prior to the season beginning. They just got off to a terrible start.

broadwayblue is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
  #309
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Parise to Wild, give Canadiens a shot..
Parise wants to win. People seem to think everyone wants to go play at home. It doesnt happen all too often. Parise has spent his whole career in NJ. Minnesota is hardly is "home" anymore. And they dong exactly have "winning" outlook currently.

RGY is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
  #310
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chicago is best fit for Marty. They have a good team. Not as good as their Cup team but still a playoff team in the west. Crawford was pathetic against PHX. He stinks. Marty is an upgrade over Crawford. Even at 40.
And if we parted ways w/Biron to have extra $$ for Prust, Chicago could make it M+M boys, Biron + Brodeur, Crawford learning, third guy insurance/eventual replacement.

As much sense as that makes, Brodeur is a devil for life... unless there is a SERIOUS financial problem we don't know about, and he's being shown the door on the q.t. for his own good.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
  #311
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, LA was definitely expected to be a contender in the West prior to the season beginning. They just got off to a terrible start.
I watched them a lot throughout the year. They just couldnt figure out the scoring. They struggled with all the talent. Probably because of chemistry. But I knew once they figured it out they'd get hot

RGY is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
  #312
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Parise wants to win. People seem to think everyone wants to go play at home. It doesnt happen all too often. Parise has spent his whole career in NJ. Minnesota is hardly is "home" anymore. And they dong exactly have "winning" outlook currently.
Winning is comparatively relative.
There's a difference between I want to be on a competitive team, adding further improvement via FA this year, and could be competing for SC 3 years, and on the other hand I want to go to a contender now.

Parise could go either way.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
  #313
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Winning is comparatively relative.
There's a difference between I want to be on a competitive team, adding further improvement via FA this year, and could be competing for SC 3 years, and on the other hand I want to go to a contender now.

Parise could go either way.
When is Minnesota turning it around? Free agency wont fill all of their holes. They may be more than 5 years away from being a serious cup contender. Backstrom isnt getting any younger, on the wrong side of 30. Heatley continues to slow down.

RGY is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
  #314
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: north finchley
Country: United States
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I've never been a fan of "overpaying" for a bottom 6 Forward.
The only exception is when the bottom six forward is particularly good at something. Like a faceoff stud or a ridiculously good fighter like Joey Kocur. Then you pay a premium. But I totally agree that - in general - your bottom six should tend toward hungry inexpensive role players. Its just economics. And a good coach will channel that hunger into good defensive play and the occasional goal. Which is really what you need from your bottom six.

egelband is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:44 PM
  #315
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
When is Minnesota turning it around? Free agency wont fill all of their holes. They may be more than 5 years away from being a serious cup contender. Backstrom isnt getting any younger, on the wrong side of 30. Heatley continues to slow down.
They do have two of the best prospects in the game, Brodin and Bäckström... Johan Larsson is also a decent prospect, very good playmaking center.

Ola is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
  #316
-31-
portnor, pls
 
-31-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,841
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
They do have two of the best prospects in the game, Brodin and Bäckström... Johan Larsson is also a decent prospect, very good playmaking center.
Backstrom? Do you mean Granlund?

-31- is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
  #317
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
They do have two of the best prospects in the game, Brodin and Bäckström... Johan Larsson is also a decent prospect, very good playmaking center.
Problem is how far out are those two. And if and when of them comes through they could be replacing Heatley not adding to him.

RGY is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  #318
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I watched them a lot throughout the year. They just couldnt figure out the scoring. They struggled with all the talent. Probably because of chemistry. But I knew once they figured it out they'd get hot
You should've went out on a limb back in April and predicted a King's championship. I must've missed that post.

....whats that they say about hindsight?

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  #319
mooskating
flex
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Hahahah someone tweeted, "Tim Hortons likely to sign him."
dunkin couldn't afford him

mooskating is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
  #320
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If the Debs are smart, they go after Bernier now that he requested a trade.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
  #321
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
dunkin couldn't afford him
He'd rather eat for a Canadian team.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
  #322
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If the Debs are smart, they go after Bernier now that he requested a trade.
And trade whom?

Rust Heisenberg is online now  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:41 PM
  #323
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
And trade whom?
A 1st and something else. Bernier won't cost more than that.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
  #324
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You should've went out on a limb back in April and predicted a King's championship. I must've missed that post.

....whats that they say about hindsight?
Sorry I was too busy putting my money on the rangers.

I'm not saying I knew they were going to win the cup. I'm not saying I knew they'd make it to the finals. But anyone who is surprised by their run at the end of the year and through the playoffs are just flat out ignorant of the personnel they have in LA.

RGY is offline  
Old
06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
  #325
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Would be extremely strange to see Marty in another uniform. Throughout my entire life, he has been the Devils' only goalie.

__________________
Into the flood again; Same old trip it was back then.
Bob Richards is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.