HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mathias Brunet Appreciation thread

Old
06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

vCash: 500
Mathias Brunet Appreciation thread

Always loved reading his articles, blogs etc. It's awesome to have a frenchi journalist who actually knows his stuff and always has an intelligent yet subjective approach to the game that makes sense.

I started listening to him on 98.5 in the evening since last draft and truely enjoy his show. Him along with Martin McGuire, Dany Dubé and Francois Gagnon are part of the few good french hockey guys we got here and Montreal.

Good Job Mathias! Keep up the good work!

Edit: Marc-Antoine is awesome as well.

Last edited by MooseOllini: 06-28-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: That Gotee man... so sexy
MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:00 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

MAG is awesome as well.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Patccmoi

I was really happy to have Brunet on the radio around the draft. It was SO refreshing to listen to them talking about actual players getting drafted and knowing them, and stay away from only talking about french players like RDS does.

And personally I -much- prefer MAG to F. Gagnon. F. Gagnon is always looking for polemic and scoops, and I never had the impression that he knew his hockey nearly as well as guys like Dube or Brunet.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:05 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I was really happy to have Brunet on the radio around the draft. It was SO refreshing to listen to them talking about actual players getting drafted and knowing them, and stay away from only talking about french players like RDS does.

And personally I -much- prefer MAG to F. Gagnon. F. Gagnon is always looking for polemic and scoops, and I never had the impression that he knew his hockey nearly as well as guys like Dube or Brunet.
I can't stand Gagnon, he's just a **** disturber.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
Always loved reading his articles, blogs etc. It's awesome to have a frenchi journalist who actually knows his stuff and always has an intelligent yet subjective approach to the game that makes sense.

I started listening to him on 98.5 in the evening since last draft and truely enjoy his show. Him along with Martin McGuire, Dany Dubé and Francois Gagnon are part of the few good french hockey guys we got here and Montreal.

Good Job Mathias! Keep up the good work!
The guys you mentioned are the antithesis of the L'Antichambre morons.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:07 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
MAG is awesome as well.
Definitly!

Old
06-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Galchenyuk94

Mathias Brunet and Gaston Therrien would be hilarious doing a draft show together. It'd be Hannity and Colmes 2.0

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Hossa gloves, false Kovalev tape...

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:32 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Was it him? If so, he was just trolling us.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
I love Guillaume Lefrançois and JF Chaumont.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:44 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Definitely the better Brunet, I'll give him that

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Brunet is the culprit behind the Hossa gloves saga. Doesn't make him any less of an interesting read.

Gagnon was behind Kovalev's tape stuff.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Mathias and MAG are two blossoming roses growing out of concrete (Montreal media)

Francois Gagnon has been known to take the route of Enquirer magazine-style journalism and adds nothing to the media world but problems and **** disturbing everything.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
ChoseLa

I know he has a lot of competition but to me Gagnon is the wrost of the journos. Next in line is JCL.

I can't accept that his opinions are even listened to, he doesn't understand a single thing about the game of hockey or the business and he always talk in a learned way like he was teaching us. I seriously can't even stand his mug or his voice.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I love Guillaume Lefrançois and JF Chaumont.
You're biased though, you work with the guys.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Mathias Brunet is the only french journalist that knows his ****!

He is pretty much the anti-anti chambre! I love the fact that he speaks the truth and does not follow and say the same thing as all the clowns we see on RDS and french media.

Mathias Brunet gets my seal of approval!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
roy munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I can't stand Gagnon, he's just a **** disturber.
I like listening to 900 in the car on my way to work (just love their Cherry impression), but whenever he comes on, I just have to listen to something else. He rambles on for about 10 minutes about stuff that could've taken 30 seconds max.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Harpo
Lyle forever

I really like Brunet too.

Gagnon, on the other hand... I feel that most posters here know more about hockey than him. He's awful and makes at least one factual error in every article/blog post he makes.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
Sure Brunet is the only journalist in Montreal to know his stuff. MAG is quite good too but is main asset is while bringing facts, without the deep knowledge you find in Brunet.

But i definitly can't stand Gagnon. Doesn't know anything more than a decent hockey fan, always trying to get some reaction on his blog by teasing his readers with the usual "I know you biased Habs fan won't praise me for this one but...". And also loved how two days before and after the draft he became an absolute Galchenyuk fan as if he claimed during the whole winter we should draft him when he was all over the Forsberg bandwagon one month ago. And can someone tell him to stop talking about his wife and children?

What about this Kovalev' tape story? Never heard of it.

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Garner View Post
Sure Brunet is the only journalist in Montreal to know his stuff. MAG is quite good too but is main asset is while bringing facts, without the deep knowledge you find in Brunet.

But i definitly can't stand Gagnon. Doesn't know anything more than a decent hockey fan, always trying to get some reaction on his blog by teasing his readers with the usual "I know you biased Habs fan won't praise me for this one but...". And also loved how two days before and after the draft he became an absolute Galchenyuk fan as if he claimed during the whole winter we should draft him when he was all over the Forsberg bandwagon one month ago. And can someone tell him to stop talking about his wife and children?

What about this Kovalev' tape story? Never heard of it.
Basically, there was an interview in a Russian sports magazine a few years ago, in which Kovalev bashed Carbo I think? Gagnon had the article translated and tried to do some millage out of that story.

Obviously, the Canadiens and Kovalev denied the story, saying it was a fake article, that he had not participated in said interview. Gagnon retorted by claiming he had the audio tape of the interview. He promised he would bring it on 110% and play live.

He came on the show empty-handed and had said he couldn't get said tape. Most posters here assumed he lied about the whole thing, which is improbable in my opinion. I think that he just trusted the wrong people. Either he was asked by the Canadiens to leave the story alone or they'd take away all his privileges (conspiracy theory, granted), or the sports magazine told him they'd send him the tape but never did (more likely).

Old
06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
skule123

Wasn't Francois Gagnon at the center of the Cammalleri misquotes which lead to his trade? Compare his English to French translation to Arpon Basu's straight English publication of the exact same interview, and it seems like the words got twisted a bit. Basu seemingly alluded to this lightly, but stepped away from the issue shortly after it came to light.

Echoing Brunet, MAG, Guillaume Lefrancois (some good jokes out of him) and JF Chaumont. Chaumont never got the credit he deserved for being the first person to notice Cammalleri wasn't on the ice for the 3rd period of the game where he was traded - but I watched it happen on my twitter timeline.

To show some bilingual love, Arpon Basu and Stubbs are favourites -- and not just because Stubbs used to be a referee in the WWF!

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Haha! Mathias just posted a new blog in which he says he's ashamed of Montreal journalists!!

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/lnh/2012/...la-profession/

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:38 AM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
Haha! Mathias just posted a new blog in which he says he's ashamed of Montreal journalists!!

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/lnh/2012/...la-profession/
Objectively, he's right, but being ashamed of journalists for asking "can you handle the pressure of Montreal" or all the stock questions is like being ashamed of the sun for rising. It's just an accepted waste of time for everyone involved, inevitable like death and taxes.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:39 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I used to like Gagnon a little but he started getting on my nerves. Definitely M.Brunet and Godin.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
Objectively, he's right, but being ashamed of journalists for asking "can you handle the pressure of Montreal" or all the stock questions is like being ashamed of the sun for rising. It's just an accepted waste of time for everyone involved, inevitable like death and taxes.
What he's really ashamed of is that the same guy asked 8 different prospects the same question, that the same question was asked 5 times by different journalists to the same guy, that the questions are always the same, lazy clichés... Sure, you expect that question. But seriously... That's the kind of question to which you already kind of know the answer. It shows that you really haven't done any research on the player you are interviewing.