HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part X: Lead up to FA day

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
What's the line on Bryce Salvador? I remember liking him a lot in St. Louis but haven't really followed him since he went out east.
We probably could've had him for free a couple years back. Missed a whole year because of concussion.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Jean Ralphio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
What's the line on Bryce Salvador? I remember liking him a lot in St. Louis but haven't really followed him since he went out east.
His ridiculous playoff probably means he could get $3.5-4M on a long-term deal on the open market, if not more.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
backhandsauce

Everyone is worried about Calgary gooning it up towards us this year. Remember who we have as our 7th Dman that should play in EVERY BOA. Andy Sutton. I'd like to see him take a good solid run at Tanguay or Cammy. Lower the boom.

Sorry, I'm a big Sutton fan going back to his ATL days.

And I agree. July first we should def be signing Jordin Tootoo or Zenon Konopka. Imagine a line or Eager-Konopka-Tootoo.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Everyone is worried about Calgary gooning it up towards us this year. Remember who we have as our 7th Dman that should play in EVERY BOA. Andy Sutton. I'd like to see him take a good solid run at Tanguay or Cammy. Lower the boom.

Sorry, I'm a big Sutton fan going back to his ATL days.

And I agree. July first we should def be signing Jordin Tootoo or Zenon Konopka. Imagine a line or Eager-Konopka-Tootoo.
Love it. Except we have to trade Belanger 1st

Old
06-29-2012, 11:18 AM
mossy joe
keep it riel

sarich is junk and has been for 2 years.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
Love it. Except we have to trade Belanger 1st

If it comes down to it, I'd rather have Belanger on a three year deal he signed with Edmonton then Konopka.
But I'd love to see that fourth line.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
If it comes down to it, I'd rather have Belanger on a three year deal he signed with Edmonton then Konopka.
But I'd love to see that fourth line.
They could always buyout Horcoff to make that space, though that window is closing.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
They could always buyout Horcoff to make that space, though that window is closing.
The politics behind that are too risky. I'm one of the few people that want to ride out Horcoff's contract as long as we can. He's good enough for now at his bottom six role.

But I see him becoming more valuable as we improve. If Horcoff is only playing 13-16 minutes a game, I see him being great.

But that caphit...

Old
06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Hemsky4PM

Seems the current roster heading into next season is:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yak
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Hartikainen
Petrell-???

They will still have the option of sending Paajarvi down to OKC again, but I have a feeling he will get a legit shot under Krueger.

Omark may well decide to accept his QO unless his agent thinks he can get a solid deal in the KHL (quite possible he could get 2+M in Russia).

There is actually no room for Smyth and no roll for him unless they ship Paajarvi out of town.

I'd actually be in favour of bringing in another C to compete for the 4th line spot against Belanger. Konopka would fit the bill nicely. Prust (who generally plays wing) is also an option. A guy like Gaustad would be great, but probably too expensive for a 4th liner. Burish wouldn't be terrible either.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
The politics behind that are too risky. I'm one of the few people that want to ride out Horcoff's contract as long as we can. He's good enough for now at his bottom six role.

But I see him becoming more valuable as we improve. If Horcoff is only playing 13-16 minutes a game, I see him being great.

But that caphit...
Horcoff is terrible. People can talk about 'tough minutes' et all as much as they want. He is a fail 5 on 5, he has been less than 50% on the dot the last 3 years, he is a boat anchor offensively (1 pp goal in his last 60 games last year....tough to believe). He is not physical. He has 1.....one! gwg in the last two years.

He is everything that is wrong with this team, tough to believe we still have the defenders patting him on the head.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

so Calgary is going into the season next year with worse center depth (unless Cervenka turns into Brad Richards) and an expensive D corps that couldn't get them into the playoffs...not too mention Iggy is older and slowing down

Jay Feaster is my hero

Old
06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Horcoff is terrible. People can talk about 'tough minutes' et all as much as they want. He is a fail 5 on 5, he has been less than 50% on the dot the last 3 years, he is a boat anchor offensively (1 pp goal in his last 60 games last year....tough to believe). He is not physical. He has 1.....one! gwg in the last two years.

He is everything that is wrong with this team, tough to believe we still have the defenders patting him on the head.

As I said, if he's only playing 13-16 minutes a game. He's been logging 20+.
Horcoff is still in over his head because he has compromising pictures of everyone in management and coaching.

Are you trying to tell me that if Horcoff was playing proper third line minutes and not sheltering the kids that his numbers wouldn't look better?
Didn't he say last offseason that he needed help in that regard? Then Belanger came in and didn't exactly perform. His faceoffs were good. His penalty killing was an improvement over what we already had.
I'm not saying Horcoff is incredible. He's disgustingly overpaid and I remember thinking it seemed a bit much when it was signed.

But if Horcoff was on the ice a hell of a lot less, he'd still be effective.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Great. Another 2 years of Sarich taking runs at our stars. I would sign Laraque just to beat the crap out of this guy

Old
06-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Great. Another 2 years of Sarich taking runs at our stars. I would sign Laraque just to beat the crap out of this guy
That was my first thought. Part of me wanted to sign Sarich just to keep him away from our guys. I want to see Sutton dressed for every game against the Flames. I wonder if Krueger will neuter our feisty players.

Old
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
so Calgary is going into the season next year with worse center depth (unless Cervenka turns into Brad Richards) and an expensive D corps that couldn't get them into the playoffs...not too mention Iggy is older and slowing down

Jay Feaster is my hero
Are you always this premature?

You realize that the summer hasn't even started right?

Old
GreatKeith

Quote:
Laraque: Oh hello there Mr. Sarich. Would you like to engage in good old fashioned fisticuffs?

Sarich: Why sure, Georges! I would love to.

Laraque: Good luck, kid. *throws his gloves down*

Sarich: *skates away to go find Taylor Hall*

Old
06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:

But that caphit...
I'm still hopeful they can dump him on a cap Floor team.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

Jay Feaster is my hero
Ya, they seem to be confidently putting A LOT of hope behind Cervenka actually being good. Compared to Jokinen, Cervenka is an incredible downgrade, but don't tell that to Flames fans. It baffles me how anyone could possibly come to the conclusion that a Jokinen for Cervenka exchange will improve a team that is still trying to make the playoffs.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
That was my first thought. Part of me wanted to sign Sarich just to keep him away from our guys. I want to see Sutton dressed for every game against the Flames. I wonder if Krueger will neuter our feisty players.
Dress Sutton, sign Tootoo in the offseason, and bring up Laraque from the AHL. That should keep Sarich at bay

Old
06-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm still hopeful they can dump him on a cap Floor team.
That likely won't happen until at least next summer at the earliest. Sarting Jul 1, 2013 his contract goes from a NMC to a limited NTC where he has to provide a list of 10 teams he will go to. Then the final year there is no NTC or NMC.

What are the real dollars like on his contract anyhow? Is there even much of a savings on this year? I didn't think there were any savings until the final 2 years anyhow.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Dress Sutton, sign Tootoo in the offseason, and bring up Laraque from the AHL. That should keep Sarich at bay
That's overkill. haha
But I wouldn't mind rolling against some teams like that. haha It's too bad Laraque coming to Edmonton would be awful.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Am I the only one that would rather have Big Mac back than Laraque? We need to sign the big man to deal with guys like Kassian in Minnesota. He seemed to be a likable guy and seemed to like his time here as well.

Also Tootoo would be just what the Dr. ordered, you run our guys and he'll run yours.

06-29-2012, 12:03 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Am I the only one that would rather have Big Mac back than Laraque? We need to sign the big man to deal with guys like Kassian in Minnesota. He seemed to be a likable guy and seemed to like his time here as well.

Also Tootoo would be just what the Dr. ordered, you run our guys and he'll run yours.
Mac > (Laraque*10)

Wanted Tootoo for a few years now too, though I've seen in interviews he loves where he is. But this team needs a lightning rod who takes the focus of the other team onto himself, out of Tootoo's mould.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

I don't want either of Big Mac or Laraque. I don't want Hordichuk either.

Enforcers like them are the biggest waste of a roster spot.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
misfit

I like Tootoo a lot, but with Eager in the fold, I can't see him getting a contract from us (how many 4th line aggitators does a team need). While I'd probably prefer Tootoo to Eager, I don't think its enough of an upgrade to make the change just for the heck of it. Tambellini would be much better served spending his efforts on other needs. I don't trust that he can simultaneously work towards signing Tootoo, working out a trade for Eager, and finding an NHL defensemen or two all at the same time. Nevermind the other roster holes and RFAs that need to be re-signed.