HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leinos role on the team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
  #51
pigpen65
Registered User
 
pigpen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Terrible signing. Should have just kept Kotalik last year. Would have had a better team, spent 4.5 million less, and been free and clear for the next 5 years now.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
  #52
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Maybe this should be retitled the "Leino signing's role on complaints list"

He's signed here. He's on the team. What, as the thread asks, is his role?

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:28 PM
  #53
Mike203
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amherst NY
Country: United States
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
Not to going happen. He would be untradable if he sucks again, and bury him in the AHL/Europe isn't going to happen either. His contract makes him a Sabre for at least a few years-through the good and bad.
Why can't we bury him? Is there a rule that we can't or you think Regier/Pegula don't want to waste so much money?

Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:32 PM
  #54
Vito_81
Registered User
 
Vito_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
Why can't we bury him? Is there a rule that we can't or you think Regier/Pegula don't want to waste so much money?
He can definitely be buried away in Rochester for the remainder of the contract.

Pegula can certainly swallow the bill.

the issue is how that looks around the league.

"Hey UFA's, come sign a big contract in Buffalo!!! But if you don't live up to it, you'll be a minor leaguer for most of the deal!"

Not going to attract many FA's that way.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:49 PM
  #55
Mike203
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amherst NY
Country: United States
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
He can definitely be buried away in Rochester for the remainder of the contract.

Pegula can certainly swallow the bill.

the issue is how that looks around the league.

"Hey UFA's, come sign a big contract in Buffalo!!! But if you don't live up to it, you'll be a minor leaguer for most of the deal!"

Not going to attract many FA's that way.
Good point but we can't keep him forever if he sucks.


Last edited by Mike203: 06-28-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:01 PM
  #56
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
He can definitely be buried away in Rochester for the remainder of the contract.

Pegula can certainly swallow the bill.

the issue is how that looks around the league.

"Hey UFA's, come sign a big contract in Buffalo!!! But if you don't live up to it, you'll be a minor leaguer for most of the deal!"

Not going to attract many FA's that way.
Well if they fail as badly as Leino nobody will want them anyway!!!

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:36 PM
  #57
SuperNintendoChalmrs
Registered User
 
SuperNintendoChalmrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,523
vCash: 500
He's a partial 1/8 centaur with the wrists of Cedrick Henley, the hips of Riley Boychuk, the player profile of Taro Tsujimoto and the power forward skills of Joel Savage and Erik RasmuhmuhmuhmuhMassen.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
  #58
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
Good point but we can't keep him forever if he sucks.
It won't be forever. Only 5 more years. I think Leino will do better this year. He may not be a 60-70 pt. player, but I can see him squeeze out 45-55 pts.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
  #59
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
It won't be forever. Only 5 more years. I think Leino will do better this year. He may not be a 60-70 pt. player, but I can see him squeeze out 45-55 pts.
If Leino scores 50, I will weep tears of joy.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:43 PM
  #60
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
If Leino scores 50, I will weep tears of joy.
Woah! I didn't say score 50 goals.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
  #61
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Yep.

I thought Leino picked it up nicely toward the end of the season, I hope he keeps building on that going into the next.
Yea. I say give the guy a break. He had a good last...20 games or so? New team, new system, different city, a lot of pressure from a big contract. That's a lot of things to deal with in year one as a Sabre. Give him next season before we make a judgement.

That's just sports though I guess. Kings fans were ready to throw Mike Richards in the Long Beach Harbor at about game 60 >.<

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:34 PM
  #62
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
Why can't we bury him? Is there a rule that we can't or you think Regier/Pegula don't want to waste so much money?
Under current rules he can be buried, but there is talk that the new CBA would include provisions to prevent that, or at least make it harder.

It's absolutely something that lower income teams want.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
  #63
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Under current rules he can be buried, but there is talk that the new CBA would include provisions to prevent that, or at least make it harder.

It's absolutely something that lower income teams want.
And the teams that are dumping their money into the revenue sharing pool and helping keep those lower spending teams afloat are probably going to want the option still to correct their mistakes and give them competitive advantage based on their ability to absorb their monetary mistakes.

I also assume the players union isn't going to be against it -- their guys are getting paid regardless.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:37 PM
  #64
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,340
vCash: 500
Hopefully he stays with Pommer. There was definately chemistry there, even Leino comment on how comfortable he felt playing with Pommer. Saying something along the lines of knowing where he will be without looking.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
  #65
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
And the teams that are dumping their money into the revenue sharing pool and helping keep those lower spending teams afloat are probably going to want the option still to correct their mistakes and give them competitive advantage based on their ability to absorb their monetary mistakes.

I also assume the players union isn't going to be against it -- their guys are getting paid regardless.
Agreed.

If I had to guess, they'd probably come up with a method where certain contracts buried in the AHL still carried a partial NHL cap hit, or even modifying the buyout system to be less onerous on the team.

Either way the player should like, especially a modified buyout, since no matter what they get paid.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:59 PM
  #66
Revelate
Registered User
 
Revelate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Hopefully he stays with Pommer. There was definately chemistry there, even Leino comment on how comfortable he felt playing with Pommer. Saying something along the lines of knowing where he will be without looking.
I agree. Good example here as Leino attempting to hit Pominville creates the first goal indirectly, while on the second goal it's a real pretty blind pass from Leino. Leino makes blind passes frequently, but they aren't typically to the net like that. I think Pominville has a simplifying effect on Leino's game. Not sure who I want centering them though. I would say Hodgson as I think that would be good for his development, but that leaves Roy with Vanek and I want no part of that.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM
  #67
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Under current rules he can be buried, but there is talk that the new CBA would include provisions to prevent that, or at least make it harder.

It's absolutely something that lower income teams want.
If they do something like that they damn well better include other provisions for teams in that situation otherwise lots of teams are going to be saddled with lots of lousy players preventing them from building a good team.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
  #68
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
If they do something like that they damn well better include other provisions for teams in that situation otherwise lots of teams are going to be saddled with lots of lousy players preventing them from building a good team.
Teams shouldn't have a free pass to escape dumb contracts that they signed. If they don't want to have bad players on lousy deals, they shouldn't sign lousy players to lousy deals. :p

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
  #69
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Hopefully he stays with Pommer. There was definately chemistry there, even Leino comment on how comfortable he felt playing with Pommer. Saying something along the lines of knowing where he will be without looking.
Leino-Hodgson-Pommer would make some nice plays. All of those guys have some good playmaking sense and two of them can rip it. Wouldn't be a very mobile line but it's not easy designing a good Sabres line-up that has some speed on each line. This sure ain't the post-lockout team.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:13 PM
  #70
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Teams shouldn't have a free pass to escape dumb contracts that they signed. If they don't want to have bad players on lousy deals, they shouldn't sign lousy players to lousy deals. :p
I don't think it's a free pass. They are paying good money to guys. I mean, I understand the problem people have with it but it's really just sour grapes from franchises that aren't willing to do the same thing. There has to be SOME way of dealing with lousy deals. Every team has lousy deals. Every team makes mistakes. The deal doesn't even have to seem extravagant at the time to become lousy with how quickly players sometimes fall off the earth.

Edit: I mean, what would happen if you were demoting a guy for hockey reasons (not good enough to be on your roster) but he also has a big contract? How would these provisions allow for that? They wouldn't. That's not right.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:25 PM
  #71
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I don't think it's a free pass. They are paying good money to guys. I mean, I understand the problem people have with it but it's really just sour grapes from franchises that aren't willing to do the same thing. There has to be SOME way of dealing with lousy deals. Every team has lousy deals. Every team makes mistakes. The deal doesn't even have to seem extravagant at the time to become lousy with how quickly players sometimes fall off the earth.

Edit: I mean, what would happen if you were demoting a guy for hockey reasons (not good enough to be on your roster) but he also has a big contract? How would these provisions allow for that? They wouldn't. That's not right.
I'm picking up what you're throwing down. I agree that has to be some provisions for allowing expensive guys in the minors who have just been outplayed, but should be some balance to prevent rich teams from just buying their way out of their own mistakes.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:31 PM
  #72
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'm picking up what you're throwing down. I agree that has to be some provisions for allowing expensive guys in the minors who have just been outplayed, but should be some balance to prevent rich teams from just buying their way out of their own mistakes.
I think the players would really like reduced cap hits on buyouts because they get their money (or some of it) and can still land with another team rather than getting buried. This would loosen the tie of revenue to spending, but probably not to a worrying degree in terms of league financial stability. Restructuring contracts is another idea.

Buyouts do inherently favor rich teams but at some point everyone has to accept that there will always be inherent advantages to big cities and owners who want to spend, with spending on players only being a fraction of those advantages; an even playing field is rather a utopian dream. I don't think buyouts would increase the competitive advantage of spending teams too much, while a cheaper team would benefit from being able to bite the bullet on a smaller amount of cash vs using up a larger portion of its budget on a bad player.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:32 PM
  #73
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
I agree. Good example here as Leino attempting to hit Pominville creates the first goal indirectly, while on the second goal it's a real pretty blind pass from Leino. Leino makes blind passes frequently, but they aren't typically to the net like that. I think Pominville has a simplifying effect on Leino's game. Not sure who I want centering them though. I would say Hodgson as I think that would be good for his development, but that leaves Roy with Vanek and I want no part of that.
That play to spring Pommers was great. Too bad it was Pommers and not Ennis

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
  #74
Revelate
Registered User
 
Revelate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
That play to spring Pommers was great. Too bad it was Pommers and not Ennis
Ha. It did end in another Leino to Pominville goal though.

Hate to separate Pominville from Vanek. Maybe we should try Leino at center between the two of them.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:39 PM
  #75
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Is Leino tradable? Would the sabres trade him this year if they had the chance?

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.