HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Worst Nightmare

Old
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Dream Team
- Vince Young, July 31, 2011

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
phillyfanatic

Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, Not 4, Not 5, Not 6, Not 7....

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Amateur Hour

The Penguins are going to be tough for a long time, but as long as we have Couturier and (Brayden) Schenn to match up against Malkin and Crosby, I feel much less scared ****less than I would otherwise. Richards and Carter simply couldn't match up against those two, no matter what anyone says (now I'll wait for the swarm of their supporters to declare heresy).

Don't worry about what the Penguins are doing to make their team better. Worry about what the Flyers can do to make their team better.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:34 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

I dont think pitts gets Parise maybe they get Suter but i think Parise resigns with NJ.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:42 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

I think Suter is Carle with slightly better hair, I think he'll be exposed, Parise I mean sucks but this isn't the end of the world let alone our worst nightmare as Flyer fans, the scariest guy for me was Stall and he just got shipped out, and even if the Pens win another cup in the next few years doesn't mean they will be a dynasty or powerhouse, if history shows us anything franchises like Detriot, and Philly have always had good teams that can compete for the cup, I feel like the Pens are like the Avs were when they were on top and now look at where the Avs are now up and coming team but not a dynasty type team, I hope that wasn't to confusing it made sense in my head!!

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
There are 30 teams in the league, I'd very surprised to see the Pens getting both of them.

And as someone has stated, they got rid of Staal, which was arguably the best player against the Flyers this year. Our young guys will be better next year, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Read, Wellwood... even maybe Giroux, I don't think he has peaked yet. What we already have should be the Pens nightmare.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Psuhockey

The Penguins lost the one player who gave the Flyers fits in Jordan Staal. Sutter is a significant step down. Parise and Suter won't be replacing what he brought to the Pens. Giroux ate Crosby's lunch. Couturier shutdown Malkin. Briere will eat Sutter alive, just like Staal did to him. Not worried. The Flyers should just let the team jell together. Upgrade the d at the trade deadline if need be with a 2nd Rd pick and a prospect.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I wonder what this thread would be like if it were the Flyers potentially signing the both of them.....doubt it would be downplayed as much. If the Penguins get the both of them it will be big trouble for the Flyers but it will make it more tantamount that they keep Couts and Schenn and continue to grow and retain chemistry so that it can overcome Pitt's stacked superstar approach which can backfire but also make them the favorites for a number of years if Crosby stays healthy which is a big if.

Having said this, if they do land the both of them I will hate them 20x more and will wish them nothing but massive FAIL....I hope we continue to agitate them and be their nemesis. I also can't wait to boo them when the draft is in Philly....I will have a massive bullhorn and all sorts of other loud contraptions....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:48 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
That might be Flyers fans' worst nightmare.

The law firm of Schenn, Schenn, and Read to Columbus for Nash?

Those commercials man..

like, you wonder who onwudinjo is

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:49 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
The Penguins are going to be tough for a long time, but as long as we have Couturier and Giroux to match up against Malkin and Crosby, I feel much less scared ****less than I would otherwise. Richards and Carter simply couldn't match up against those two, no matter what anyone says (now I'll wait for the swarm of their supporters to declare heresy).

Don't worry about what the Penguins are doing to make their team better. Worry about what the Flyers can do to make their team better.
fixed for you.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
The Penguins are going to be tough for a long time, but as long as we have Couturier and (Brayden) Schenn to match up against Malkin and Crosby, I feel much less scared ****less than I would otherwise. Richards and Carter simply couldn't match up against those two, no matter what anyone says (now I'll wait for the swarm of their supporters to declare heresy).

Richards and Carter couldn't shut them down, no. I'm not sure why Schenn or Couturier are going to do so much better. Are we forgetting that Carter and Richards were two pretty damn good defensive forwards?

Richards was never a spectacular 1 on 1 defender anyway, he was more effective playing with in a system and using his vision to put himself in a position to make plays. Whenever he was counted on to match up with either one of those two he was outmatched athletically. Carter did as well against Crosby as anyone else though (which is to say he stuck with him as well as any of the other forwards in the league with the exception of maybe Datsyuk and Zetterburg).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Hence the reason I said 2-way forwards and D. We're not going to beat them again like that. Sound D will beat them, as it will other teams.
This is what I was driving at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The Philadelphia Flyers need to worry about what the Philadelphia Flyers do, not the Pittsburgh Penguins or the New York Rangers or anyone else. If Holmgren's M.O. is to make a move because the Pens or Rags made a move, he's making a terrible mistake. Just worry about the task at hand and not worry about the moves other teams are making.

06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
bauer

not worried about Pittsburgh at all. what does worry me however, is that assuming the Flyers don't resign Carle or Jagr. they'll then be down JVR, Jagr, Carle and will have only added Schenn. that's not a good offseason. this team will have taken a huge hit on offense and will need to make a big splash through either FA or trade if they're gonna be better next year.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
I think Suter is Carle with slightly better hair, I think he'll be exposed
Then you've never seen him play. Suter is a legitimate top pairing defenseman.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM
TheLegendkiller

They're not signing either of them. Suter is staying west and Parise isn't signing in the division. We're all gonna wake up Sunday and see that Parise and Suter both signed in Deroit and then laugh when the Pens sign Carle for 5.5 million for 5 years.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Then you've never seen him play. Suter is a legitimate top pairing defenseman.
I created a thread on the Nashville board as "a fans scouting report of Ryan Suter". It was a great read to hear what "Preds fans" had to say about him.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...993&highlight=

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

They wont get Suter. If they get Parise, he's going on the top line anyway. Crosby has scored at a 2PPG clip against the flyers his entire life, it's not like adding Parise will improve that number.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Based on the replys, nobody read the article. It says Parise is signing and playing with Crosby. It says Suter is signing and Paul Martin will be traded to make room. That is the "worst nightmare" scenerio. Parise-Crosby-Dupuis, Kunitz-Malkin-Neal, and a top D of Letang-Suter. OUCH
No it doesnt say that.

It says that it is believed that Pitts is the front runner for those players, there is no confirmed interest from either party, and IF, IF they decided to sign there it would be a nightmare.

I believe it is you who has not read the article based on the OP and this.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
They wont get Suter. If they get Parise, he's going on the top line anyway. Crosby has scored at a 2PPG clip against the flyers his entire life, it's not like adding Parise will improve that number.
2.1 isn't attainable?

Seriously, though, I would hope that Parise goes (in order of preference):
  • to the Flyers
  • out of the conference
  • to the Canadiens (if only to use the phrase "chez Parise")
  • back to the Devils
  • to the Penguins

It was one thing when his name was being bandied around as a possible forward interest. Now that the Penguins seem to have a legit chance at landing him, the scorched-earth policy must be initiated.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
fixed for you.
Not really. Giroux isn't going to be matched up defensively on Crosby going forward. Brayden Schenn will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Richards and Carter couldn't shut them down, no. I'm not sure why Schenn or Couturier are going to do so much better. Are we forgetting that Carter and Richards were two pretty damn good defensive forwards?

Richards was never a spectacular 1 on 1 defender anyway, he was more effective playing with in a system and using his vision to put himself in a position to make plays. Whenever he was counted on to match up with either one of those two he was outmatched athletically. Carter did as well against Crosby as anyone else though (which is to say he stuck with him as well as any of the other forwards in the league with the exception of maybe Datsyuk and Zetterburg).
We're not forgetting about Richards and Carter's defensive ability at all. I'm just saying they struggled mightily against Crosby and Malkin and couldn't sufficiently match up against them one-on-one. Would you disagree? Richards couldn't because of his below average skating/lack of athleticism, while Carter was just too soft/unassertive. This isn't an attempt to detract from them as players, just a statement of the facts as I observed them countless times. Couturier and Schenn, on the other hand, are much better equipped to get the job done against Malkin and Crosby, respectively. We saw how Couturier's defensive awareness, positioning, stick work, and overall hockey IQ gave Malkin fits (if he ever adds a more physical element, he'll be THE perfect foil), while Schenn combines Richards' doggedness with superior skating ability and strength (the number one factor for me, honestly) to go against Crosby and hold his own. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:47 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not really. Giroux isn't going to be matched up defensively on Crosby going forward. Brayden Schenn will.

We're not forgetting about Richards and Carter's defensive ability at all. I'm just saying they struggled mightily against Crosby and Malkin and couldn't sufficiently match up against them one-on-one. Would you disagree? Richards couldn't because of his below average skating/lack of athleticism, while Carter was just too soft/unassertive. This isn't an attempt to detract from them as players, just a statement of the facts as I observed them countless times. Couturier and Schenn, on the other hand, are much better equipped to get the job done against Malkin and Crosby, respectively. We saw how Couturier's defensive awareness, positioning, stick work, and overall hockey IQ gave Malkin fits (if he ever adds a more physical element, he'll be THE perfect foil), while Schenn combines Richards' doggedness with superior skating ability and strength (the number one factor for me, honestly) to go against Crosby and hold his own. Just my personal opinion, of course.
The thing about these match-ups is that you need a strong team effort to thwart Crosby and Malkin. While the Couturier match-up in the playoffs got Malkin off his game, Crosby is a smart enough (and unselfish enough) player to dish off the puck when he's trapped. Schenn on Crosby is potentially a good start, but the Flyers will need the other 4 Flyers skaters to be responsible for passing lanes and other puck options. Getting back to the first point, Couturier will need support for when Malkin is able to either stickhandle or muscle his way around/past him; a second Flyers player should be ready to double-team Malkin at this point.

This isn't a Penguins-only philosophy either; appropriate positioning and defensive awareness will benefit Schenn and Couturier against all teams' top 2 lines.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:52 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Aren't we trying hard to get Parise and Suter too? Does anyone remember the Eagles of this past year? Yeah, Pittsburgh can build a 'dream team' all they want but as of right now I think they got worse in trading Staal (however their defense prospects are unreal since that). They'll need Parise or Suter to have improved at all on paper.

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:01 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
Aren't we trying hard to get Parise and Suter too? Does anyone remember the Eagles of this past year? Yeah, Pittsburgh can build a 'dream team' all they want but as of right now I think they got worse in trading Staal (however their defense prospects are unreal since that). They'll need Parise or Suter to have improved at all on paper.
While he isn't Staal, getting Sutter for the 3C takes a good deal of the sting off, plus Dumoulin (adding to the defense prospects to whom you alluded) is a stellar pick-up.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:07 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The thing about these match-ups is that you need a strong team effort to thwart Crosby and Malkin. While the Couturier match-up in the playoffs got Malkin off his game, Crosby is a smart enough (and unselfish enough) player to dish off the puck when he's trapped. Schenn on Crosby is potentially a good start, but the Flyers will need the other 4 Flyers skaters to be responsible for passing lanes and other puck options. Getting back to the first point, Couturier will need support for when Malkin is able to either stickhandle or muscle his way around/past him; a second Flyers player should be ready to double-team Malkin at this point.

This isn't a Penguins-only philosophy either; appropriate positioning and defensive awareness will benefit Schenn and Couturier against all teams' top 2 lines.

I think the Flyers should try a radical new double shutdown line approach. Couturier on one line and a center like Gaustad on another. You can roll 4 lines and not worry about ice time cause the 4th line would be able to play and be defensively responsible. Then itís up to the other teamís 4th line to pick its poison. Giroux line or Schenn line. Whichever one isnít covered by the 3rd line will be tearing it up.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Not scared.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote