HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part XI: Stempniak and Ponikarovsky, LOL Offseason Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
The only exception is when the bottom six forward is particularly good at something. Like a faceoff stud or a ridiculously good fighter like Joey Kocur. Then you pay a premium. But I totally agree that - in general - your bottom six should tend toward hungry inexpensive role players. Its just economics. And a good coach will channel that hunger into good defensive play and the occasional goal. Which is really what you need from your bottom six.
I agree on Kocur. Wholeheartedly. But even a lot of the enforcers who change teams later in their careers seem to not want to fight as much.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I watched them a lot throughout the year. They just couldnt figure out the scoring. They struggled with all the talent. Probably because of chemistry. But I knew once they figured it out they'd get hot
A big thing they figured out was getting Carter. Without his acquisition, they don't win the Cup. Heck, they might not have even made the playoffs. And that's what I was getting at originally. You might think the Pens don't have enough to beat the Rangers, Bruins or Flyers, right now, but there can be key acquisitions (like Carter for the Kings) or injuries which alter teams' chances. That's part of what makes the NHL so unpredictable.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
A big thing they figured out was getting Carter. Without his acquisition, they don't win the Cup. Heck, they might not have even made the playoffs. And that's what I was getting at originally. You might think the Pens don't have enough to beat the Rangers, Bruins or Flyers, right now, but there can be key acquisitions (like Carter for the Kings) or injuries which alter teams' chances. That's part of what makes the NHL so unpredictable.
Carter wasn't the only one scoring goals though. They had the offensive talent all year. They just couldn't figure it out. Carter helped but he wasn't the reason why it all turned around. Brown started playing a helluva lot better. Richards picked up his game. Their depth forwards played better.

We shall see. They just had a caller on sirius saying that Shero should sign Suter. That would be a smarter mover for Pittsburgh than Parise.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Carter wasn't the only one scoring goals though. They had the offensive talent all year. They just couldn't figure it out. Carter helped but he wasn't the reason why it all turned around. Brown started playing a helluva lot better. Richards picked up his game. Their depth forwards played better.

We shall see. They just had a caller on sirius saying that Shero should sign Suter. That would be a smarter mover for Pittsburgh than Parise.
That's actually what their plan was reported to be.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I said at the beginning of the season that the Kings were my favorite to win the Cup. It's crazy that they were awful for so long.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:50 PM
nyr5186

Hey, if this Biron thing doesn't get worked out, how 'bout signing Brodeur as a backup?

Picture it!

Old
06-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
Hey, if this Biron thing doesn't get worked out, how 'bout signing Brodeur as a backup?

Picture it!
haha yeah hearing him get booed by his own team's fans would be pretty comical. Sadly, I'd imagine he would be the one laughing if presented a contract from the Rangers.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:20 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
When is Minnesota turning it around? Free agency wont fill all of their holes. They may be more than 5 years away from being a serious cup contender. Backstrom isnt getting any younger, on the wrong side of 30. Heatley continues to slow down.
Fair enough. But IMO there seems to be real improvement from prior year last 2 yrs. They got a couple of guys who are blue chips, the rest are improved. In any event, they don't have to actually be that improved, just improved enough to satisfy Parise, for him to connect the dots and think the team is going CLOSE ENOUGH to where he thinks it should be for it to be acceptable enough for him to sign.

It's not a mess like Columbus.
And Les Habs could be in the mix, too.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Chief

Quote:

I never said that Carter was the sole reason they won but he was the missing piece. The team was short one top level scorer and Carter was it. The Kings were looking to add that guy ever since they lost out on Kovalchuk (Penner certainly wasn't the answer). Carter tied for the club lead in PO goals, and there's no way to minimize that.

As far as the Pens go, I agree that Suter would be the smarter move as they need the D help.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Hypothetically if Marty leaves where is a likely destination?

I see Toronto and Chicago being the only viable options.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Moen and Stempniak both just res-igned.

Edit: per Pagnotta and McKenzie.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-29-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old
06-29-2012, 05:34 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Faith In The Future/MDZ

Haven't seen this posted anywhere...nice piece.

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/headlines/...-in-the-future

Old
06-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

yep, change the headline from Stempniak to Rozsival ,lol

Moen was someone I would of been fine with, ahhh well. UFA list getting smaller and smaller

Old
06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

sheesh! wanted Moen.

oh well.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:50 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Eddie O just said that the Rangers and Detroit stick out in regards to Ryan Suter. I don't know what that means in regards to Sather going after Suter but this is really the first time I see us linked to Suter.

Eddie O also says if the Rangers add that goal scorer and another 3-4 defenseman we could be the next team to take e next step. Ryan and Schultz please. Done.

06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Eddie O just said that the Rangers and Detroit stick out in regards to Ryan Suter. I don't know what that means in regards to Sather going after Suter but this is really the first time I see us linked to Suter.

Eddie O also says if the Rangers add that goal scorer and another 3-4 defenseman we could be the next team to take e next step. Ryan and Schultz please. Done.
We aint getting Suter, I don't know where he is getting that.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:54 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sarich stinks. That free agent list stinks. The trade market stinks. I was listening to Brian Cashman with Francesa yesterday. He knows what the other GM will want before places the call. Scout well. Draft well. Develop well. The free agent and trade markets are too expensive.
I tend to agree with this to a point, the part about scouting well, drafting well and developing well. Sometimes when you need that 1 or 2 pieces to win now, and the price isn't exhorbinant, many championship teams were built on those last couple of pieces from trade/free agent.combined with your homegrown talent. Think the Mets with Keith Hernandez and Gary Carter (as much as I don't like the Mets, especially in the mid 1980's).

Old
06-29-2012, 05:57 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
We aint getting Suter, I don't know where he is getting that.
He never said were getting Suter, neither did I, he just simply said those two teams stick out as places for Suter because we both need what he provides.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Obviously it's no team's plan to draft and develop poorly. It would be great to be able to develop all the pieces you need internally. Rarely ever happens. You hope that you can build a strong enough base so that you can limit the amount you have to resort to paying inflated UFA prices, and giving up key assets in trades.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
He never said were getting Suter, neither did I, he just simply said those two teams stick out as places for Suter because we both need what he provides.
I can think of a lot more pressing needs than a steady LD.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:01 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I can think of a lot more pressing needs than a steady LD.
I don't disagree.

I've been saying since last year were still one more scoring winger away from being a contender.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:03 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Stempniak from the thread title re-signed with Calgary. Feaster and Greg from accounting in a race to see who can sign the most players before July 1st.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:04 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I like Suter a ton as a player.

Even if the plan was to get him and move someone to RD or to get him to trade one of our other Dmen, I can't ever see him signing in NY.

06-29-2012, 06:06 PM
NikC

With Prust most likely going i'd like Tootoo.

What about Carkner as a 6/7th dman? that's a Sather move right there!

Old
06-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Vitto79

yea Gaustad and Tootoo would be a good day upgrading the 3rd/4th line depth

have a feeling we may hear Knuble and Boyes names

Last edited by Vitto79: 06-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Closed Thread