HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Babcock on NHL Live

Old
06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
FlashyG

vCash: 500
Babcock on NHL Live

Video

Babcock called into NHL live to discuss life after Lidstrom, the Wings offseason plans, the first round loss to the Predators, and how to be a better coach in the NHL.

He also touched on Smith, Kronwall, Helm and Kindl.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:57 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Always gotta love the optimism of Babs

He definitely does seem confident going into free agency.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:47 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Great stuff. I'm glad to have him as our head coach.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Good stuff from Babs.

My two favorite comments, paraphrasing:

*We have the makings of good team/core, with the right pieces. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Helm are three centers. Believes that Helm is the best third line center in the NHL, hands down. (Intriguing, plus seeing that he no longer views Flip as primarily a centerman?)

*The coaches felt that Smith made our team out of camp last year. They wanted him on the team, but 'it was felt' that he should develop for one more year in GR. Talked about his development, loves him offensively and wants him to work on not creating offense for the opposition.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:20 PM
patekilla

Babs seriously made me feel a hundred percent better going into next season, he super calm knows what needs to be done and is going to execute it.

patekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:31 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Good stuff from Babs.

*We have the makings of good team/core, with the right pieces. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Helm are three centers. Believes that Helm is the best third line center in the NHL, hands down. (Intriguing, plus seeing that he no longer views Flip as primarily a centerman?)

*The coaches felt that Smith made our team out of camp last year. They wanted him on the team, but 'it was felt' that he should develop for one more year in GR. Talked about his development, loves him offensively and wants him to work on not creating offense for the opposition.
Because of his performance on Z's wing, I think he knows Helm can fill in that third line center role. Filppula is better as a winger on Z's line instead of centering the third line. He's not aggressive enough when attacking the net. 4 out 5 times he looks to make a play along the boards.

Smith and Nyquist should have made the team out of camp, but due to the players already on the roster they preferred to give them more IT in GR. I fully expect them to be on the roster this year with Nyquist at least on the third line full-time and Smith rotating in if not full-time, paired with Kronwall.

Last edited by ProPAIN: 06-29-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
patekilla

I really really don't like kindl he just seems lost and scared of the puck put smith in get whatever you can for kindl

patekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Because of his performance on Z's wing, I think he knows Helm can fill in that third line center role. Filppula is better as a winger on Z's line instead of centering the third line. He's not aggressive enough when attacking the net. 4 out 5 times he look to make a play along the boards.

Smith and Nyquist should have made the team out of camp, but due to the players already on the roster they preferred to give them more IT in GR. I fully expect them to be on the roster this year with Nyquist at least on the third line full-time and Smith rotating in if not full-time, paired with Kronwall.
I agree.
Also, Flip even when playing as a winger he is decent defensively (so Z doesn't have to think too much about D)

Parise/Semin/UFA - Datsyuk - Nyquist/Bert
Flip - Z - Franzen
Cleary - Helm - Eaves/Miller/Nyquist/Bert

If we can get Parise/Semin top 3 lines are good. (not the best but not weak either)

Suter/UFA - Kronwall
Q - E
White - Smith
Kindl

Also depends on how good the UFA is.

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by patekilla View Post
I really really don't like kindl he just seems lost and scared of the puck put smith in get whatever you can for kindl
I feel the same way about him. He has played in over 100 NHL games. Smith will skate circles around him with the same opportunity/time.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:29 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
I agree.
Also, Flip even when playing as a winger he is decent defensively (so Z doesn't have to think too much about D)

Parise/Semin/UFA - Datsyuk - Nyquist/Bert
Flip - Z - Franzen
Cleary - Helm - Eaves/Miller/Nyquist/Bert

If we can get Parise/Semin top 3 lines are good. (not the best but not weak either)

Suter/UFA - Kronwall
Q - E
White - Smith
Kindl

Also depends on how good the UFA is.
People keep forgetting Brunner is likely a top 9 player. He is going to make the team out of camp, he has very good speed and sneaky grit for a guy his size. I think he will really compliment Helm well so I don't believe Babs assertions that he will stick in the top 6. Unless Cleary is moved which it would be nice to see if he is healthy first again before that, I think Nyquist stuck in the minors unfortunately. If he goes back down and they let hi stay down he will threaten the 96 points Hudler put up in Grand Rapids in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:42 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Good stuff from Babs.

Anyone who thinks Helm is the best third line center in the league is out of their mind.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by patekilla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
I feel the same way about him. He has played in over 100 NHL games. Smith will skate circles around him with the same opportunity/time.
It's not as if the kid has ever been given an actual chance to really do much of anything yet. He may have over 100 games under his belt, but he's been warming the bench and serving drinks up in the press box far more than he's actually played.

...but hey, whatevs. I've always liked Kindl - and I still think he has the potential to be a solid defenseman in this league - but, unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree; it's painfully obvious that he has no future here, so we might as well get something for him while his value is still somewhat existent. Another year of him rotting on the bench isn't going to anyone any good.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Townsend Beasley
Mission to Civilize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Anyone who thinks Helm is the best third line center in the league is out of their mind.
Babs is pumpin' tires.

Bert-dats-semin
Fil-z-brunner
Nyquist-helm-franzen
Cleary-abs-eaves

Townsend Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
It's not as if the kid has ever been given an actual chance to really do much of anything yet. He may have over 100 games under his belt, but he's been warming the bench and serving drinks up in the press box far more than he's actually played.

...but hey, whatevs. I've always liked Kindl - and I still think he has the potential to be a solid defenseman in this league - but, unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree; it's painfully obvious that he has no future here, so we might as well get something for him while his value is still somewhat existent. Another year of him rotting on the bench isn't going to anyone any good.
While Babcock's message was similar to the past found his comments about he believes Kindl has improved and it is time for him to be an everyday player not the worst news. Also found it worth noting he said Kindl is now 220 lbs. If that is indeed the case that means all the rumors of him working out hard in the off-season and during his press box times are paying off. That is roughly 20 lbs gained over the last couple of years, he did look much stronger this year. At 6'3" and 220 lbs with above average puck skills, a nice hard point shot that is low and accurate and his skating ability I would like to see one more chance, understand those that don't however.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
There's not many better ones out there.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Redwings1927

i like the thought of having the nyquist - helm - franzen line that was posted up there....franzen and nyquist showed a lot of chemistry together, although brief, and showed they are great together. Wow, I am loving that line because helm can get the puck to nyquist and nyquist with find franzen in top slot...still think nyquist could be our next datsyuk-lite player

Redwings1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Redwings1927

anyone know how much brunner will be paid? it says entry level contract so isnt that the 987,000 or something?

Old
06-29-2012, 05:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
There's not many better ones out there.

He doesn't score a lot so that hurts him in the conversation with Sutter, Stoll, Bolland, and Staal even though he was never a third liner. However it is hard to say a single night from this past season where I thought Helm wasn't winning his matchup defensively and playing in the other teams zone a lot. He wears people out, like everyone else I hope he can develop into a better scorer. But if not, I think it is time he starts at least taking on the second or even first line from the other team a la Draper when we had him during his prime grinding years.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwings1927 View Post
anyone know how much brunner will be paid? it says entry level contract so isnt that the 987,000 or something?
I thought it was 925K like the Schultz contract.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Redwings1927

ok 925, just didnt know what the starting contract amount is....

so wow we are getting a guy who we (hfboards gm's) can pencil him as a 20 goal scorer maybe even 50 points if played with the right guys for only 925? damn....

he would look pretty damn good being on the first line....brunner - dats - semin....seriously starting to feel a lot better about next season lol

Old
06-29-2012, 05:10 PM
joe89

Totally depends where you draw the line for a 2nd or 3rd line C. Helm plays in NO offensive situtations whatsoever. Never PP, never chasing leads. We know he's great defensively, and circumstances considered he puts up good numbers. Bolland, Stoll and Staal all play the PP. Most could be considered 2nd line C's on the right team. Sutter is some good competition for the honor, his minutes are almost exlusively defensive ones.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Redwings1927

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Totally depends where you draw the line for a 2nd or 3rd line C. Helm plays in NO offensive situtations whatsoever. Never PP, never chasing leads. We know he's great defensively, and circumstances considered he puts up good numbers. Bolland, Stoll and Staal all play the PP. Most could be considered 2nd line C's on the right team. Sutter is some good competition for the honor, his minutes are almost exlusively defensive ones.
staal was only a third line Center because pitt had crosby and malkin, he is NOT going to be a third line center next season by any means in carolina. so you can't really throw him in there at all

Old
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
We know he's great defensively
that's one of the biggest myths. he's a great PKer, but he's pretty bad defensively. he's nowhere near what a 3rd line C should be on defense. constantly out of position or, thanks to his enthusiam we all love, caught in the o-zone and not back in time.

defense is actually why i don't think helm is a great 3rd liner at the moment. if he can improve his defense, we can talk.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
joe89

Staal was never a 3rd line center to me no matter what. 3rd line centers don't get $4M, and they don't play 20 minutes per game. And usually they're not drafted #2 overall..

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:38 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
He doesn't score a lot so that hurts him in the conversation with Sutter, Stoll, Bolland, and Staal even though he was never a third liner. However it is hard to say a single night from this past season where I thought Helm wasn't winning his matchup defensively and playing in the other teams zone a lot. He wears people out, like everyone else I hope he can develop into a better scorer. But if not, I think it is time he starts at least taking on the second or even first line from the other team a la Draper when we had him during his prime grinding years.
Honestly, Helm has the offensive ability that these guys do. Sutter is very comparable to him. They all have better shots than Helm and a more refined offensive game, but their point production is not very different at all.

Staal is a 40 point scorer. Bolland is a upper 30 point guy. Sutter has done it once but is realistically just below 40 points per year right now. Helm is a guy who should always get 35 points if he plays a full season and has the ability to get 40 and even 50 points with the right line mates and some more finish.

Helm just finished his 3rd season and has improved every year. He creates more opportunities for himself and for his line mates just by being such a menace on the puck. He can hold onto the puck for long periods of time. People bash him and say he has stone hands all the time, but he really doesn't. He is very good at drawing a defender and slipping a pass through to the open man. No he doesn't have great 1v1 skills and won't score from the perimeter, but he creates so much more than any third line center. Also, Staal is not a 3rd line center anymore, nor was he the past two seasons.

In my opinion if he isn't right now, Helm is going to be the best third line center in the NHL by the end of next season and if he is healthy for a full 82 and playoffs our team is much better. It's interesting how much better a team gets when their center depth is in the lineup. Chicago 2 years ago was going to miss the playoffs and Bolland returns and pushed them into the playoffs and to game 7 vs the Canucks. This year Helm misses a bunch of time but when he came back for game 1 a lot of people thought that put the Wings over the top. If he is healthy into he playoffs I think we beat the Preds in a series and probably the Coyotes. He is such a game changer for his role it's unbelievable.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote