HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread (Legit Sources ONLY)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
No i don't worry about another goalie ,you got Brodeur for 2 years.
There is help in 2013 if you need it ....Nabakov can hold the fort .

Anyway 6.507 million dollar Price , what happen if he stumbles in next 2 yrs with that contract? There risk everywhere.

All i say is this team is better trading Price.....if there was no goalies avail like Brodeur or Miller or etc etc , i would NEVER propose this idea.
That's my whole point. You can't just assume because they're UFAs that we have a shot at them or that they're "available". They might re-sign with their teams in the next two years, or they might never want to sign with us in the first place.

Here's a more realistic exercise: imagine we traded Price 2 years ago and had no back-up plan except to sign a UFA goalie on July 1st, 2012. Here's what we'd be looking at, in order of # of wins last season:

Martin Brodeur
Jonas Gustavsson
Johan Hedberg
Scott Clemmensen
Dwayne Roloson
Martin Biron
Curtis Sanford
Al Montoya
Chris Mason
Brent Johnson
Ty Conklin
Brad Thiessen
Andrew Raycroft
Justin Peters
Alex Auld
Marty Turco
Dan Ellis
Curtis McElhinney
Sebastien Caron
Peter Mannino
Drew MacIntyre
Yann Danis

Basically if we don't sign the top guy on that list, we're up **** creek. That's what you're saying we should pin our hopes on. Your list of Lundqvists and Millers starts to look like a list of Raycrofts and Aulds in a hurry.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Cupmonger

Getting a Toews or Stastny by trading Price + someting... Yea, right...

Price may have some value in the league, but not that much. Goalies aren't worth that much. People seem to forget that.

Yea, yea, maybe Price will flop in the next 2 years. Which I doubt as he's been solid so far for us. What's to say that Brodeur won't be so great either? Nabokov in 2 years? Yea, we won't be the only ones pitching for him either...

Keep Price. We know he's good. He may flop, but that reasoning can be used for any goalie. Don't be thinking we'll get a 1st liner by trading him, that's just unrealistic.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That's my whole point. You can't just assume because they're UFAs that we have a shot at them or that they're "available". They might re-sign with their teams in the next two years, or they might never want to sign with us in the first place.

Here's a more realistic exercise: imagine we traded Price 2 years ago and had no back-up plan except to sign a UFA goalie on July 1st, 2012. Here's what we'd be looking at, in order of # of wins last season:

Martin Brodeur
Jonas Gustavsson
Johan Hedberg
Scott Clemmensen
Dwayne Roloson
Martin Biron
Curtis Sanford
Al Montoya
Chris Mason
Brent Johnson
Ty Conklin
Brad Thiessen
Andrew Raycroft
Justin Peters
Alex Auld
Marty Turco
Dan Ellis
Curtis McElhinney
Sebastien Caron
Peter Mannino
Drew MacIntyre
Yann Danis

Basically if we don't sign the top guy on that list, we're up **** creek. That's what you're saying we should pin our hopes on. Your list of Lundqvists and Millers starts to look like a list of Raycrofts and Aulds in a hurry.

Only way i can explain it is Habs finished last with Price making 2.75 million.
What expectation do we have this year? I see Moen gone and Noky signed seems were goona be fighting for our lives again just to make 8th, which is bad.Why?Because Price isn't making 2.75 million anymore.
Now we give him 7 million, i tell you and everyone else i think you know ,a bad stretch at 2.75 million is different then at 7 million. This is Montreal not Florida.Same way Vancouver fans TURNED on Loungo...WHY?

Phoenix Coyotes didn't need Price in net.

Florida Panthers made playoff without Price in net

NJ Devils went to Cup with a 39 year old net minder

None of those teams finished last.

There is life after Price, and with the big return you get from him, you never miss a thing .

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old
06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Did those teams win the Stanley Cup? No, the team with the best goaltender did. Price is closer to Quick than Brodeur is.

I was going to say "I can't believe some posters want to get rid of Price and sign Brodeur" then I realized who these posters are and just laughed. Typical.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Did those teams win the Stanley Cup? No, the team with the best goaltender did. Price is closer to Quick than Brodeur is.

I was going to say "I can't believe some posters want to get rid of Price and sign Brodeur" then I realized who these posters are and just laughed. Typical.
remember Montreal made round 3(Halak) ONE TIME IN 20 YEARS...

Price is 8-15 in playoffs,just a little fact there for ya .

I don't propose to DUMP PRICE.....i propose to trade him if we get a major deal,and i think there is many to be had for him .

I'm not talking Chris Stewart for Carey Price OK....

I don't propose to put in a minor league goalie to replace Price, ok....

Old
06-29-2012, 02:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
remember Montreal made round 3(Halak) ONE TIME IN 20 YEARS...

Price is 8-15 in playoffs.

just a little fact there for ya .

I donlt propose to DUMP PRICE.....i propose to trade him if we get a major deal .....
If you don't win a Stanley Cup, your playoff record is going to look like ****. You're always going to lose more games than win. Poor way to judge a goalie.

Brodeur is 12-21 all-time in playoff overtime. Hedberg is 3-2. According to you New Jersey would have been better served to switch goalies when they got to overtime.

Stupid argument.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
If you don't win a Stanley Cup, your playoff record is going to look like ****. You're always going to lose more games than win. Poor way to judge a goalie.

Brodeur is 12-21 all-time in playoff overtime. Hedberg is 3-2. According to you New Jersey would have been better served to switch goalies when they got to overtime.

Stupid argument.
Did Mike Smith win Stanley a Cup?How does he got more wins than Price?and a better GAA by 1 point and save percentage by a lot.

Playoffs
10 wins-8 loss -
goals against 1.88
sv %.945

I judge a goalie as to what round he get's to with his team ,or help get's his team into .

Old
06-29-2012, 02:21 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
that's not true at all. If you manage to reach Round 3 after 8 matches, and lose the 3rd round 3-4, you still have a 11-4 record

Old
06-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Only way i can explain it is Habs finished last with Price making 2.75 million.
What expectation do we have this year? I see Moen gone and Noky signed seems were goona be fighting for our lives again just to make 8th, which is bad.Why?Because Price isn't making 2.75 million anymore.
Now we give him 7 million, i tell you and everyone else i think you know ,a bad stretch at 2.75 million is different then at 7 million. This is Montreal not Florida.Same way Vancouver fans TURNED on Loungo...WHY?

There is life after Price, and with the big return you get from him, you never miss a thing .
Phoenix had Smith, Panthers had Theodore and NJ had Brodeur. They're all good goaltenders. But what made the difference in the end was the team in front of them. None of the goalies really stole the show. They were important and made a difference, but they weren't a brick wall.

We know Price is good. Problem this season, well there were too many of those. Our team played like ****. Price makes a difference.

Yes, so will Brodeur and Nabokov if we manage to get them, which we won't be the only ones trying to sign them. Actually, I find that Nabokov i choky in the playoffs.

Thinking that we would get a huge return for a goaltender, such as a top 2 liner, is laughable. Then hoping that you could sign some of the best goalies that easily...

Old
06-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Phoenix had Smith, Panthers had Theodore and NJ had Brodeur. They're all good goaltenders. But what made the difference in the end was the team in front of them. None of the goalies really stole the show. They were important and made a difference, but they weren't a brick wall.

We know Price is good. Problem this season, well there were too many of those. Our team played like ****. Price makes a difference.

Yes, so will Brodeur and Nabokov if we manage to get them, which we won't be the only ones trying to sign them. Actually, I find that Nabokov i choky in the playoffs.

Thinking that we would get a huge return for a goaltender, such as a top 2 liner, is laughable. Then hoping that you could sign some of the best goalies that easily...

Broduer would give Montreal a chance to go for cup this year,because the return we got for Price would put a TEAM in front of Brodeur.

You can say Nabakov "choky", but the guy still got 40 playoff wins ,and a playoff GGA of under 2.30 in 80 GAMES.

40 wins 38 loss
2.29 gga .913 sv

the guy has playoffs of 17, 15 13 12 games ... ..I love to have had that in Montreal last 10 years,sure beat no playoffs.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-29-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old
06-29-2012, 02:28 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
that's not true at all. If you manage to reach Round 3 after 8 matches, and lose the 3rd round 3-4, you still have a 11-4 record
Please, name me a goalie that reaches the 3rd round every year in sweeps.

Obviously if you take a single playoff run the stats are skewed, but he gave me an all-time record.

One playoff run and you'd think Fernando Pisani is better than Gordie Howe.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Price's value NHL wide is sky high to a lot of teams , that is a fact with or with out a contract.
If it means Montreal getting back a Toews like player ,and a boat load, i pull the trigger
You're actually insane

Old
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Broduer would give Montreal a chance to go for cup this year,because the return we got for Price would put a TEAM in front of Brodeur.

You can say Nabkov "choky", but the guy still got 40 playoff wins and a playoff GGA of under 2.30

40 wins 38 loss
2.29 gga .913 sv
Yes, those stats are all nice. So are Brodeur's. But each time, they had a good team in front of them. You can also argue that each playoff we lost with Price or Halak was not the goalies' faults.

You seem under the impression that trading Price will get us a good return. Rarely has a trade for a goalie ever brought back good players that you put on the 1st/2nd line. The only good trade I can think of was Kozlov for Hasek. And Buffalo didn't even profit from Kozlov that much.

We got Eller for Halak. Eller's good. But so far he doesn't look 2nd line worthy. I honestly think he can be a 2nd line center some day. But who knows when and if he ever will?

You just don't get such good returns for goalies, ever. If you do, then the GM has done exceptional work in GM history for trading a goalie. The best you're going to get are picks or bottom pairing players.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Yes, those stats are all nice. So are Brodeur's. But each time, they had a good team in front of them. You can also argue that each playoff we lost with Price or Halak was not the goalies' faults.

You seem under the impression that trading Price will get us a good return. Rarely has a trade for a goalie ever brought back good players that you put on the 1st/2nd line. The only good trade I can think of was Kozlov for Hasek. And Buffalo didn't even profit from Kozlov that much.

We got Eller for Halak. Eller's good. But so far he doesn't look 2nd line worthy. I honestly think he can be a 2nd line center some day. But who knows when and if he ever will?

You just don't get such good returns for goalies, ever. If you do, then the GM has done exceptional work in GM history for trading a goalie. The best you're going to get are picks or bottom pairing players.

Price brings you back a legit top flight forward(s).....and more...

There is no trade to be made trading Price for another Eller.....sorry

You call Blackhawks and let Scotty know Price is avail,you wanna see a deal?No offers of Eller i can tell ya that.

Same thing NHL wide, top flight players coming back that make a impact day 1.

Not Martin Rucinsky for ROy...,this will happen with 7 million around your neck.

Last edited by Habaneros: 06-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old
06-29-2012, 02:36 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Trading Price so they can sign Brodeur is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

If his value in a trade is as great as you propose it to be than why the hell are the Habs better off trading him?

Old
06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Any news on Moen guys? I'd like to see him sign badly.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:39 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Please, name me a goalie that reaches the 3rd round every year in sweeps.

Obviously if you take a single playoff run the stats are skewed, but he gave me an all-time record.

One playoff run and you'd think Fernando Pisani is better than Gordie Howe.
Remove the stick from your ass and just realize from a damn second that I simply pointed out your mistake.

The mathematics are still true if you win more serie than if you lose, without reaching the Stanley cup. Or if you lose by a thiner margin than the wins.

You can therefore have a strong playoff record even if you never won the cup.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Trading Price so they can sign Brodeur is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

If his value in a trade is as great as you propose it to be than why the hell are the Habs better off trading him?
Montreal don't go no Vancouver caliber team for Price.
It went from LOUUUUUUUUU to BOOOOOOO

Montreal fans don't care ,you lose, go on a 10 game losing skid, 7 million won't be booing anymore......
Vancouver fans Boo;d Lou because he got the BANK.,and there was a way different exception level .

Luongo is gone .Atleast Nucks didn't destroy his value to near zero ...in Montreal it never works that way when they leave.We stand holding a piece of the short end of the stick.

I love Price, i don't trust the 6.5-7 million with fans .

Old
06-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Price brings you back a legit top flight forward.....and more...
Nope, sorry to you good sir. Goalies don't have that much of a value. Contract wise, they do. But not in trades. Price is a great goalie. But unless the goalie you're trading is Roy or Brodeur like, in other words, a guaranteed HHOFer. You're not going to get as much as you say out of a trade. Even if money wise, the contract's good or same. Heck, Roy when he was traded didn't get us such a great return.

Quote:
There is no trade to be made trading Price for another Eller.....sorry

You call Blackhawks and let Scotty know Price is avail,you wanna see a deal?No offers of Eller i can tell ya that.
If you trade Price, you'll get something along the area as Eller. A player that we'll put on 3rd line, max.

Goalies just don't have that great a value. Each goalie trade shows that.

Besides, as far as I know, Blackhawks are content with Crawford.

Quote:
Same thing NHL wide, top flight player coming back that make a impact day 1.
Nope. Not gona happen. Price has value, but no GM would trade that much for any goalie.

The Flyers always prove it to the league that they can go far into the playoffs without having a good #1 goalie. In the regular season, goalies will steal games. In the playoffs, a good goalie stays solid and make a difference, but success is always mostly thanks to the team in front of the goalie.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Nope, sorry to you good sir. Goalies don't have that much of a value. Contract wise, they do. But not in trades. Price is a great goalie. But unless the goalie you're trading is Roy or Brodeur like, in other words, a guaranteed HHOFer. You're not going to get as much as you say out of a trade. Even if money wise, the contract's good or same. Heck, Roy when he was traded didn't get us such a great return.

If you trade Price, you'll get something along the area as Eller. A player that we'll put on 3rd line, max.

Goalies just don't have that great a value. Each goalie trade shows that.

Besides, as far as I know, Blackhawks are content with Crawford.

Nope. Not gona happen. Price has value, but no GM would trade that much for any goalie.

The Flyers always prove it to the league that they can go far into the playoffs without having a good #1 goalie. In the regular season, goalies will steal games. In the playoffs, a good goalie stays solid and make a difference, but success is always mostly thanks to the team in front of the goalie.
Ahhhh sorry.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Same thing NHL wide, top flight players coming back that make a impact day 1.
I still haven't seen you suggest any names for who you think Montreal can expect to get back for trading Price either.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I still haven't seen you suggest any names for who you think Montreal can expect to get back for trading Price either.
I said top flight forwards....you look over rosters who'd be interested in a goalie....The names are there.
Might be easier to look at top 1 to 15 to 30 in NHL scoring race for starters.

Price don't go unless the "PRICE IS RIGHT"....Which i truly believe it would be .

Old
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Any news on Moen guys? I'd like to see him sign badly.
It is not looking good right now, sadly...

Old
06-29-2012, 02:56 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Montreal don't go no Vancouver caliber team for Price.
It went from LOUUUUUUUUU to BOOOOOOO

Montreal fans don't care ,you lose, go on a 10 game losing skid, 7 million won't be booing anymore......
Vancouver fans Boo;d Lou because he got the BANK.,and there was a way different exception level .

Luongo is gone .Atleast Nucks didn't destroy his value to near zero ...in Montreal it never works that way when they leave.We stand holding a piece of the short end of the stick.

I love Price, i don't trust the 6.5-7 million with fans .
What the hell are you talking about even?

Old
06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
It is not looking good right now, sadly...
Has anyone heard any negative news about him re-signing?

Closed Thread