HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier has asked for a trade.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:53 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
I was listening to either the Fan 590 or TSN1050 here in Toronto this morning and they said Lombardi was asked if Bernier was in play now that Quick signed the contract and that he said absolutely not. I don't believe it but the guys on the radio seemed to.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:04 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I was listening to either the Fan 590 or TSN1050 here in Toronto this morning and they said Lombardi was asked if Bernier was in play now that Quick signed the contract and that he said absolutely not. I don't believe it but the guys on the radio seemed to.
Dean is notorious for doing the exact opposite of what he says in regards to player management.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:24 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof
Quote:
Dean is notorious for doing the exact opposite of what he says in regards to player management.
Standard reply from a GM, they all do that I think. Last year Homer told Jeff Carter face to face) 2 days before the trade that he would not be traded. Yet we had read about the trade, and exactly what they got, for a couple of weeks.
Same thing this year. JVR said in an interview that Homer told him ' a week ago' (day after the trade) that he wouldn't be traded.

I think if the right deal was offered, he'd do it. And I don'tthink Fla has what Vancouver is asking for , for Luongo, and they need a goalie.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
That just means the Kings aren't "shopping" Bernier, but I'm sure all 29 GMs know that he is available at the right price.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
That just means the Kings aren't "shopping" Bernier, but I'm sure all 29 GMs know that he is available at the right price.
Bingo.

He won't truly "shop" him until next off-season.

Here are the top 10 UFA goaltenders next season by cap hit.

Backstrom, Niklas G MIN 34 $6,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Thomas, Tim G BOS 38 $5,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Khabibulin, Nikolai G EDM 39 $3,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Lehtonen, Kari G DAL 28 $3,550,000 2013 (UFA)
Nabokov, Evgeni G NYI 36 $2,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Howard, Jimmy G DET 28 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA)
Smith, Mike G PHO 30 $2,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Theodore, Jose G FLA 35 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Garon, Mathieu G TBL 34 $1,300,000 2013 (UFA)
Giguere, Jean-Sebastien G COL 35 $1,250,000 2013 (UFA)

The bold will probably be signed long-term soon.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 06-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.
KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:15 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
That is also a case of a bad question. Of course he is not in play at the time of the question he is talking with someone on the radio not a fellow GM.
Gms like to be very cryptic in what they say. And as much as we the fans don't want to admit or hear it almost every player is in play everyday, if the right offer were to come along.
I personally think that is what happened with Brown around the trade deadline. He was not being shopped but teams were inquiring and DL was listening. And I think that is exactly what is happening with Bernier. Having signed Quick long term every GM that needs a goalie is calling. If the right offer is made he will be traded if not I think DL keeps him and Sutter plays him more just to give Quick some rest. And then when next year rolls around he trades the right so another team can sign him. And hopefully he will be worth even more than he is today.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Didi I miss the part where it's July 1st and this happened? Bad question by the radio guys... Has Quick signed the contract yet? Nope. Has he verbally agreed to do so on July 1st? Yep. Is Bernier in play? Nope. Will he be the second Quick's name is on the contract? Yep.

tigermask48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Didi I miss the part where it's July 1st and this happened? Bad question by the radio guys... Has Quick signed the contract yet? Nope. Has he verbally agreed to do so on July 1st? Yep. Is Bernier in play? Nope. Will he be the second Quick's name is on the contract? Yep.
You missed the part where the radio guys were relaying a message, not asking it directly. I'm just passing on what I heard.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
The only weak spot on this roster that needs to be filled is Carter. Replace him with a Stalberg or someone who plays a physical game while potting 20+ goals , re-sign Penner and we're set. Call up Jones while we're at it.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
RyWill09

I think Carter is going to have a good year. Much better to start in LA than in CLB. I am not saying he will hit 40 goals again, but 30 would be expected.

RyWill09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Shootmaster_44

Since I don't really see any holes the Kings have, I'd say trade Bernier for a couple picks, a first rounder for sure and maybe a 3rd or a 4th. In addition pick up a veteran journeyman that will be destined for Manchester to be the veteran leader with the young guys. But the key is Bernier has to go to the East. I know Florida is looking for a goalie, though Luongo is likely destined there.

Bring up Jones to be the backup, Berube can tend the net in Manchester and Christopher Gibson can play in Ontario. I'd be in favour of bringing Zatkoff back and having him split time with Berube in Manchester.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Shrewd move by Dean as, in my opinion, Bernier's value will be higher on July 2 than it was at the deadline. Before last season, I think he wasn't comfortable moving him with no veteran backup and the opportunity to let him play as much or more than the year before (which didn't happen, of course).

Several teams are in the market for goalies right now. That wasn't true at the deadline, especially a younger guy going forward.

The news about their informing him or his asking is moot, he's got a year left on his deal, he's not their guy, it was just a matter of when and now there isn't much more time to make the move.

Just a guess but I think he winds up in New Jersey.

06-29-2012, 09:42 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Since I don't really see any holes the Kings have, I'd say trade Bernier for a couple picks, a first rounder for sure and maybe a 3rd or a 4th. In addition pick up a veteran journeyman that will be destined for Manchester to be the veteran leader with the young guys. But the key is Bernier has to go to the East. I know Florida is looking for a goalie, though Luongo is likely destined there.

Bring up Jones to be the backup, Berube can tend the net in Manchester and Christopher Gibson can play in Ontario. I'd be in favour of bringing Zatkoff back and having him split time with Berube in Manchester.
Matt Frattin would be a nice piece if a deal with Toronto was to be done.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post

Jones or Zatkoff aren't ready for the NHL yet. Keep Bernier for another season, play him at least 20 games, keeping Quick fresh for another long playoff run, and than deal him before or at the draft. That gives Jones and/or Zatkoff another year to develop.
Dean doesn't need to deal Bernier this off season.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

He doesn't need to but if he keeps him on the bench again, what playoff team is going to pay heavily for him? He is not a rental goalie, he's a guy teams are going to want to build on. That screams offseason trade to me. After July 1, trade activity will be heavy, too, lots of pieces changing hands. As far as waiting until next year, I don't think you could get a Halak type deal for his RFA rights, and that wasn't a stellar deal for Montreal as it was.

LA can get a veteran backup, Hedberg would be perfect, for example, Martin Biron would be OK.

Dean doesn't have to trade him now, but I think this is the best market for it.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
He doesn't need to but if he keeps him on the bench again, what playoff team is going to pay heavily for him? He is not a rental goalie, he's a guy teams are going to want to build on. That screams offseason trade to me. After July 1, trade activity will be heavy, too, lots of pieces changing hands. As far as waiting until next year, I don't think you could get a Halak type deal for his RFA rights, and that wasn't a stellar deal for Montreal as it was.

LA can get a veteran backup, Hedberg would be perfect, for example, Martin Biron would be OK.

Dean doesn't have to trade him now, but I think this is the best market for it.
I agree. The time has come to bid farewell, and there are adequate replacements out there with a "backup" mentality.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

So it seems that no other reputable and reliable source is reporting this supposed rumor of Bernier requesting a trade. Helene Elliot, Lisa Dillman or Rich Hammond would have commented on this by now but they haven't, which leads me to believe that this is just some false speculation or just complete fabrication. Which once again does not surprise me considering the amount of rumor mongering that is now out there.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
The only weak spot on this roster that needs to be filled is Carter. Replace him with a Stalberg or someone who plays a physical game while potting 20+ goals, re-sign Penner and we're set. Call up Jones while we're at it.
I'm not sure whether to respond like this...

Or this...

Nose of Sutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:33 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Jones or Zatkoff aren't ready for the NHL yet. Keep Bernier for another season, play him at least 20 games, keeping Quick fresh for another long playoff run, and than deal him before or at the draft. That gives Jones and/or Zatkoff another year to develop.
Dean doesn't need to deal Bernier this off season.
Zatkoff has plenty of seasoning in the minors, if he's not ready now...he may never be ready. Trade Bernie and sign Zatkoff to a cheap deal.

Everyone knows Sutter is going to ride Quick for around 70 games. Anyone thinking the backup is getting above 20 games next season went off the reservation.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:10 AM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Zatkoff has plenty of seasoning in the minors, if he's not ready now...he may never be ready. Trade Bernie and sign Zatkoff to a cheap deal.

Everyone knows Sutter is going to ride Quick for around 70 games. Anyone thinking the backup is getting above 20 games next season went off the reservation.
If it is anyone other than Bernier I would agree. But if we have him we should play him that much to give Quick rest and make his stock go up. And since Calgary went to the finals the year before the lockout we don't have a good measure to see exactly how Sutter is going to react.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:58 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
If it is anyone other than Bernier I would agree. But if we have him we should play him that much to give Quick rest and make his stock go up. And since Calgary went to the finals the year before the lockout we don't have a good measure to see exactly how Sutter is going to react.
"Lets rest Quick".

We've been saying that for how many offseasons? It's not going to happen. Some thought Bernie was going to get 30 games this year but ended up getting something like 12 starts.

And lets face it, Quick does better with more workload.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:40 AM
2-4 Slashin
Tony Granato Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I am selfish. I do not want to give up Bernier - I changed my mind. I like having two ass-kicking goalies.
FINALLY!! Someone talking with some sense!!

But JB does deserve his shot in the sun!

Letting Bernier go feels a little like having Roy in goal only to worry that you may have traded away Brodeur just before he hit his prime.. But I will take that chance with my Conn Smyth kid

Slashin

2-4 Slashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post

Yea Zatkoff is 25 and has had three solid seasons in Manchester. If he isn't ready now he might never be.

Besides, Quick plays 70+ games...he'll only need to suit up for 10 or so games.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Bingo.

He won't truly "shop" him until next off-season.

Here are the top 10 UFA goaltenders next season by cap hit.

Backstrom, Niklas G MIN 34 $6,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Thomas, Tim G BOS 38 $5,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Khabibulin, Nikolai G EDM 39 $3,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Lehtonen, Kari G DAL 28 $3,550,000 2013 (UFA)
Nabokov, Evgeni G NYI 36 $2,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Howard, Jimmy G DET 28 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA)
Smith, Mike G PHO 30 $2,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Theodore, Jose G FLA 35 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Garon, Mathieu G TBL 34 $1,300,000 2013 (UFA)
Giguere, Jean-Sebastien G COL 35 $1,250,000 2013 (UFA)

The bold will probably be signed long-term soon.
Next off-season, his contract will have expired. Granted, DL can keep him with a qualifying offer, but how will DL get a good return with a goalie who doesn't want to be there, with a much larger market of available goalies?

The Kings have not signed Quick yet, so until Quick is signed, DL is not shopping Bernier. However, he's listening to offers:

Quote:
As I recently reported, Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier has asked the team to trade him to a team where he has a chance to play. Sources say Kings GM Dean Lombardi is asking a hefty price including a first round pick in return. So far no offers have satisfied Lombardi.
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/J...tzThe-Decision

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:11 PM
MynameisKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman47 View Post
the only weak spot on this roster that needs to be filled is carter. Replace him with a stalberg or someone who plays a physical game while potting 20+ goals, re-sign penner and we're set. Call up jones while we're at it.
tumblr_le4iu23giM1qe91wdo1_250.jpg

MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote