HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

J.J. Daigneault hired as assistant coach

Old
06-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Lucky Luke

vCash: 500
One thing for sure, Daigneault knows all the good places where to eat throughout the NHL.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Protest the Hero

Can't really comment on this, hard to say what effect it will have. I'll be mad if Robinson ends up in somewhere other than Jersey though.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Wow, looks like the Habs are going for the total Quebec overhaul.

Be careful what you wish for...
I don't get this comment.

Criticize the individuals based on their attributes and abilities. If they fail, it's not because they're from Quebec, it's because they weren't up to the required performance.

Also Gallant is not from Quebec, but that's besides the point.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:48 PM
BlackStar

BANG! He is an NHL assistant coach.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
belko

Try to ignore the pain of seeing McDonagh's name in this article.. otherwise it's a nice piece from last year on JJD's work in Hartford.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...rs-d-1.2735044

belko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Man o Man don't even try to get Robinson, we don't want a good coach....LOL
I like Robinson, and he would be my ideal choice, but J.J. was an easy number two. Look at the job he's done grooming the Ranger's stable of young, talented blueliners. He is well deserving of the promotion.

Quote:

I don't like it when Montreal hires bilingual francophone's when there are obviously better suited candidates out there (HC being the exception, to a degree). That being said, this isn't really like that. Daigneault came up through a different franchise's ranks and has helped mold guys like Girardi, Del Zotto and *sob* McDonagh. He is definitely a solid hire on paper (for any organization), and one that I am very pleased with.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
In my opinion, he was the best guy available for the job. Great signing.

Habs coaching/management staff looks solid.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Belso

I'm not too psyched about this coaching staff. But I will let time show how they perform.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I don't get this comment.

Criticize the individuals based on their attributes and abilities. If they fail, it's not because they're from Quebec, it's because they weren't up to the required performance.

Also Gallant is not from Quebec, but that's besides the point.
I'm commenting to the fact that it looks like Bergy is hiring all Quebequers/Franophones with excepetion to Dudley. It seems to me that there's a move to appease the French fanbase by hiring only French personelle.

If that's the case than the following, "be careful what you wish for" is what I'd say to them.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Man o Man don't even try to get Robinson, we don't want a good coach....LOL
What a clueless comment...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:
I'm commenting to the fact that it looks like Bergy is hiring all Quebequers/Franophones with excepetion to Dudley. It seems to me that there's a move to appease the French fanbase by hiring only French personelle.

If that's the case than the following, "be careful what you wish for" is what I'd say to them.
So Mellanby and Gallant are Francophones ? Dudley and Timmins are like #2 and #3 in the hierarchy behind Bergevin.

You just ****ing clueless man.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I'm not too psyched about this coaching staff. But I will let time show how they perform.
Would you prefer to have the Calgary's one ? Or Krueger or Oates as head coach ?

Old
06-29-2012, 06:29 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Despite my bad reputation, I love the signing of Daigneault. Great work for Connecticut.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

JJ and Bergie have played together with the Ville Emard Hurricanes in juniors...

Bergie hires a lot of his buddies, eh...

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:36 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
JJ and Bergie have played together with the Ville Emard Hurricanes in juniors...

Maybe Bergevin could get Mario Lemieux out of retirement ?

Old
06-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

JJ signed for three years, from the horse's mouth on 98,5FM.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Maybe Bergevin could get Mario Lemieux out of retirement ?
The games against Pittsburgh would be FUN, man.

"Lemieux with the puck... nobody's touching Lemieux...nobody...nobody...Fleury steps aside...ma parole...ET C'EST LE BUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT!!!!! DU GRAND LEMIEUX!!!!"

"And on the replay, we see that Fleury actually tried to make the save but failed miserably."

Old
06-29-2012, 06:40 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

My problem with comments like this is..

The guy played in the league for 20 years, and most coaches, mangers, are ex players from around the same age...

Also one of the things everyone was saying even before he was hired, was that Bergevin knew EVERYONE around the league, etc.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Beendair Donedat

He coached McDonaugh for all of a couple months... Hope he's a better coach than a player. Best of luck Jean Jacques....

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Belso

Quote:

I wish I can attend the interviews and see who the candidates are. But I too worry when I see 90% of the staff as former French speaking NHL players with very little NHL experience.

I don't care what language the person they hire speaks. All I care for is experience with a glimpse of success..

I would have preferd a GM who won a cup already in the NHL. But there was non available. Bergevin has a very nice CV. He was on a winning team and knew all aspects of the front office. So I like the hiring. Maybe Daigneault was the best candidate. But he hasn't even stood behind a bench in the NHL. I liked Robinson if he was available. He won a cup as a head coach. Experience and success at his job coaching. Daigneault doesn't even come close to that experience and track record. Was Robinson available? Who knows.

Daigneault might turn out to be a great assistant in Montreal. You will only find out with time and see how he fares. But I would have preferred to be sitting at my PC and see an assistant coach with actual NHL experience being hired. both Jodoin and Gallant seem like they have good hockey minds but have not proven anything in the NHL. the entire assistant staff is very very green. the only coach with real NHL experience is Therrien. Which come back to what you and I seemed a little worried about. Why so many French guys? Yes I know, Gallant isn't french, but the rest of the staff is. It's an experiment. And I'm not a real big fan of experiment. If this staff was hand picked by Bowman, I might be less worried, but Bervevin is green too at his job.

Maybe Bergevin has an idea of a philosophy that he was looking for and he found that in everyone he hired and they speak French and will please the fans more. I'm all for pleasing the fans. I'm a fan.

So we will see how it turns out. Bergevin is at the reins and he's the one calling the shots. He seems like a smart guy and I will not criticize him like I did Gauthier. He needs time to prove himself and he took on a sunken ship. We can't expect the team to come in first in his first season with this team.. But I expect at one point we will see where the team is headed and hopefully all will go well

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:55 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:

Quote:
I don't care what language the person they hire speaks. All I care for is experience with a glimpse of success..

Quote:
Why so many French guys?
You sound like you care about the language after all.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:55 PM
HCH

Quote:

I'm not from Quebec but for the most part I like the direction the organization is taking. The only one I question is Therrien but I want to see what he can do. The coaching staff seems to have complementary skills, holes have been filled on the management side and the team finally has a player development department. I can hardly wait for training camp to begin.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
I wish I can attend the interviews and see who the candidates are. But I too worry when I see 90% of the staff as former French speaking NHL players with very little NHL experience.

I would have preferd a GM who won a cup already in the NHL. But there was non available. Bergevin has a very nice CV. He was on a winning team and knew all aspects of the front office. So I like the hiring. Maybe Daigneault was the best candidate. But he hasn't even stood behind a bench in the NHL. I liked Robinson if he was available. He won a cup as a head coach. Experience and success at his job coaching. Daigneault doesn't even come close to that experience and track record. Was Robinson available? Who knows.

Daigneault might turn out to be a great assistant in Montreal. You will only find out with time and see how he fares. But I would have preferred to be sitting at my PC and see an assistant coach with actual NHL experience being hired. both Jodoin and Gallant seem like they have good hockey minds but have not proven anything in the NHL. the entire assistant staff is very very green. the only coach with real NHL experience is Therrien. Which come back to what you and I seemed a little worried about. Why so many French guys? Yes I know, Gallant isn't french, but the rest of the staff is. It's an experiment. And I'm not a real big fan of experiment. If this staff was hand picked by Bowman, I might be less worried, but Bervevin is green too at his job.

Maybe Bergevin has an idea of a philosophy that he was looking for and he found that in everyone he hired and they speak French and will please the fans more. I'm all for pleasing the fans. I'm a fan.

So we will see how it turns out. Bergevin is at the reins and he's the one calling the shots. He seems like a smart guy and I will not criticize him like I did Gauthier. He needs time to prove himself and he took on a sunken ship. We can't expect the team to come in first in his first season with this team.. But I expect at one point we will see where the team is headed and hopefully all will go well
Maybe Robinson was NOT available OR did not want to move to Montreal....

Usually you don't switch team to do the exact same job.

Maybe you would had prefer our team to be coached by Adam Oates or Krueger ?

Old
06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Maybe Robinson was NOT available OR did not want to move to Montreal....

Usually you don't switch team to do the exact same job.

Maybe you would had prefer our team to be coached by Adam Oates or Krueger ?
Krueger as defense coach would have been TOPS. The man built the Swiss program through tight defensive game. And Mark Streit.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I'm a little skeptical of all the inexperience we have around the organization. So many people entering new positions. But I must say, I don't mind the direction we seem to be on.
Yes, we are lacking experience, but better have some guys there without exp than nobody.
I'm glad we'll have Lapointe and Brisebois overseeing our youngsters in the AHL, and also guiding them when they jump up. I like that Mellanby also has his role with overseeing player development.
Last year, we only had Timmins, and, admittidely, it was too heavy a task for one person.
Im glad we finally have a defense coach. We had no one last year.
I'm glad MB is a team player, surrounds himself with a lot of different people, and takes thought through decisions.
And I'm hoping Therrien will have learned from his past experiences.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote