HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread (pt2)

Old
06-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Just say no to Cam Barker.
Ok. let's not trade for Luongo and that 27yr deal and let's use that money to go after Suter then!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I think we could add Barker to a 1 year, 1.5 million contract. See how he does here.

Maybe target guys like: Penner, Boyes, PA, Jokinen, Whitney or even Rolston
Cam Barker is absolutely god-awful. Please Dale, give up on that one. I'd rather play Ellerby and Strachan 30 minutes a night than sign Barker.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:15 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I'd rather have Salo too but Salo would be more expensive and with the rumor Fialkov said about us treading water in Free agency I was looking at the cheapest options who could still produce for us. and Barker I think would come very very cheap. $1-1.2million cheap I think. Salo would be twice that IMO.
i don't think it's necessarily true we won't spend money. i think if parise said the panthers is where i want to go viner will spend the money. but after the top few players out there it's a huge drop off and we can't be giving "big" contracts to more second tier players.

it made sense to overpay last year cuz we had so much money and had to reach the cap. this year we resign a couple of our own guys add in the rookie or rookies. and maybe add a couple pieces. 1 top 6 forward and if garrison leaves another d-man. we hit the cap. and hope for the best.

no sense getting in to long term deals with mediocre players when eventually our young guys will command spots and we can't dump horrible contracts.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:17 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I hope that the Sun-Sentinel article is not true, I think we wont be making a splash like we did last season.. we have the core guys, our top line is pretty much set. We just need a few guys, I think that article is fooling us as well.

MillarWithASave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:18 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I find comfort in knowing this team will once again struggle to score 3 goals a night on a consistent basis for another entire season.

Tallon said he was going to improve our offense. Luongo doesn't do that. I really hope he's not all talk because we're all too familiar with that as Panthers fans.

Let's see what happens. Santos has been known to be full of **** sometimes too.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I hope that the Sun-Sentinel article is not true, I think we wont be making a splash like we did last season.. we have the core guys, our top line is pretty much set. We just need a few guys, I think that article is fooling us as well.
I agree. We have to spend some money and Versteeg/Kuli aren't getting us to the cap floor. And if we add Louie it will likely subtract Upshall so that wouldn't get us to the cap either.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:21 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I really hope they see the opportunity to try to get an elitescorer like Parise or Semin. We have been struggling scoring goals, don't let this chance pass Tallon!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:22 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I'd rather have Salo too but Salo would be more expensive and with the rumor Fialkov said about us treading water in Free agency I was looking at the cheapest options who could still produce for us. and Barker I think would come very very cheap. $1-1.2million cheap I think. Salo would be twice that IMO.
There isn't really any room for Salo or any other d-man unless Tallon makes a trade which gets rid of Ellerby. I don't want that to happen unless Hammer is coming the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
no sense getting in to long term deals with mediocre players when eventually our young guys will command spots and we can't dump horrible contracts.
Exactly. This is the reason IMO why Tallon doesn't want to give 5x5 to Garrison either, because of all the kids coming up soon.

I think it's more probable that if Tallon is looking to add a guy or two, they'd be through trades. We don't need long-term contracts from UFA, when we could have okay-ish players from other teams if they're looking to dump them (cough cough, Hjalmarsson & Heatley), with no more than 2 years left on their contracts.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Exactly. This is the reason IMO why Tallon doesn't want to give 5x5 to Garrison either, because of all the kids coming up soon.

I think it's more probable that if Tallon is looking to add a guy or two, they'd be through trades. We don't need long-term contracts from UFA, when we could have okay-ish players from other teams if they're looking to dump them (cough cough, Hjalmarsson & Heatley), with no more than 2 years left on their contracts.
agreed unless your getting a star player back like a suter or parise. u can justify their contracts. becuz you want players like that no matter how many great kids u have coming up. but u can't have players who put up 30 points a season making 3-4 million bucks when u can pay the kids coming up less for the same totals

Old
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:

I would rather just see Tallon get two guys from UFA then to get two through trades. It will not be good in the long run.

MillarWithASave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I would rather just see Tallon get two guys from UFA then to get two through trades. It will not be good in the long run.
Better to overpay from UFA for +3 years for a mediocre guy, than get a guy who has 2 years left and is actually worth that salary? Wut.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:31 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Better to overpay from UFA for +3 years for a mediocre guy, than get a guy who has 2 years left and is actually worth that salary? Wut.
i dont see heatley being a tallon guy. and unless minnesota signs parise and suter and think about dumping him for nothing. i'd think he'd cost to much.

whereas say suter choose chicago and brodeur went there. then they might be willing to dump a hammer for like ellerby and a pick. but i'm sure they'd get better offers at that point.

i think there might be a few guys in free agency that meet the defensive criteria that could be had on short deals. since we like ginger players what about mike commadore?

Old
06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
i dont see heatley being a tallon guy. and unless minnesota signs parise and suter and think about dumping him for nothing. i'd think he'd cost to much.
whereas say suter choose chicago and brodeur went there. then they might be willing to dump a hammer for like ellerby and a pick. but i'm sure they'd get better offers at that point.

i think there might be a few guys in free agency that meet the defensive criteria that could be had on short deals. since we like ginger players what about mike commadore?
I agree on Heatley, Minni not giving him up for nothing. It would probably cost us Bjugs or Howden.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:05 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
The whole team can't be full of Tallon kind of guys.

I'm not saying for nothing, but for a roster player (that suits better for a role within Wild than Dany, say Matthias for example) + a pick, I'd be interested. I'm not really up to date on Wild's roster needs, so I can't really say what they'd need.

Absorbing a 7.5 caphit isn't easy, and many teams can't take on that kind of a hit without sending a similar caphit back.

Of course, this is just pure speculation. Would still be interesting what Heatley could do with a guy like Huber. But Heatley could end up playing with Granlund next season, so they could want to see if a passing machine like Granlund can get Heatley back to form before giving up on him.

Quote:
If Hawks end up signing Suter (which would be kind of ironic, one season after dumping Soupy lol), they would be pretty close to the cap and probably looking at the least amount of salary coming back as possible from a trade for Hammer. Ellerby's QO is what, a little over 800k? That's pretty good value for a 3rd pairing d-man on a contender like the Hawks.

Plus Tallon has connections with the Hawks. Even if the other team(s) were ready to offer a little more, Bowman could rather trade him here.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
ShootIt

Sami salo would never see the ice if he signed here. He would be out for the season as soon as he signed the contract

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Sami salo would never see the ice if he signed here. He would be out for the season as soon as he signed the contract
Dropped the contract paper and slipped on it?

Old
06-29-2012, 08:19 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

there is no way this franchise take one big step forward in 2011-2012 just to take two huge steps back in 2012-2013 by not bringing in guys that will help us make the playoffs. Since December 2011-End of 2012 Regular Season we were 23-20-14 not much better than .500 team. Dale must realize there is a slim chance we make the playoffs next season with our current roster and without some major influx of offensive talent. It would be a PR disaster for yorkman and ownership.

I will call Santos's bluff right here and I say the Panthers will be a very active team come Sunday.

PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Erick

My opinion is this.

The guys running the show now aren't dumb. We keep talking about offensive upgrades, but perhaps our main offensive upgrade is already on the team. It's possible that Tallon and company expect more out of Huberdeau than perhaps we expect. Remember, Huberdeau didn't make the team last year due to lack of size, but he was putting up points in the preseason.

It wouldn't be the first time a talented rookie did really well. Maybe Huberdeau is the man next year. + we'll add guys, just not the top guys. If Huberdeau plays well and we add some upgrades, it will be a better offense. I'm guessing that's what they're expecting at this point.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:48 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Sheldon Souray he was actually really good with Dallas last year. His bomb from the point could replace Gary's and he finished with a +11 last year.

PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:42 PM
gizmo12688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
My opinion is this.

The guys running the show now aren't dumb. We keep talking about offensive upgrades, but perhaps our main offensive upgrade is already on the team. It's possible that Tallon and company expect more out of Huberdeau than perhaps we expect. Remember, Huberdeau didn't make the team last year due to lack of size, but he was putting up points in the preseason.

It wouldn't be the first time a talented rookie did really well. Maybe Huberdeau is the man next year. + we'll add guys, just not the top guys. If Huberdeau plays well and we add some upgrades, it will be a better offense. I'm guessing that's what they're expecting at this point.
I'm thinking along the same lines. Tallon and co have to think the production of Huberdeau and possibly Howden could definitely bolster our offense and PP.

And with all the talk about possibly bringing back Olli or going hard after Semin, what about Ray Whitney? Sure he's 40 years old but he showed this year he can still produce. IMO he'd make a great bottom 6 guy and not cost much at all.

gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Sheldon Souray he was actually really good with Dallas last year. His bomb from the point could replace Gary's and he finished with a +11 last year.
I wouldn't mind that either.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
My opinion is this.

Wouldn't a second line of Hubey-Olli-PA or something along these lines be just the kind of addition Santos talks about?

Many people here seemed to like it and it would be a good step forward. Think something like that is likely to happen.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Wouldn't a second line of Hubey-Olli-PA or something along these lines be just the kind of addition Santos talks about?

Many people here seemed to like it and it would be a good step forward. Think something like that is likely to happen.
I think that would work if Tallon & Santos truly keep the signings tame this year.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:42 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

If we can't get any of the top guys from FA I don't see the point in handing out overpayments to other free agents to get them here. Unless we offer them too much money on just a one year contract. I can see the value in filling the spots whilst waiting for the prospects to develop but don't won't to see the young guys path being blocked my average players.

I'd quite like us to trade for someone like Jimmy Hayes from the Blackhawks. I don't think he would be too expensive and fits a lot of what we are looking for: a young, big bodied right winger. He got 9 points in 31 games (including 5 goals) playing 10 minutes a night last season.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:57 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I watch alot of Dallas games...while Souray does have an absolute bomb from the point (him + Campbell on the PP would be magic together) - if we do bring him in, it better be as a 6th defensman - at best.

he's one of the worst defensive defensmen i've ever seen. he makes Wideman look like Nicklas Lidstrom. and i'm not joking. he's really, really bad.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote