OT - Moving to Winnipeg

Old
06-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Winnipeg city planning is on the fly, they put it where they "think" its the best location possible.

It's going to be a gong show on route 90, who thought of that location anyways.
The thing is, Bishop and Kenaston have tonnes of room for infrastructure upgrades. It is about time that they made these streets AT LEAST 3 lanes both ways. They might as well just go 4 both ways and make them legit freeways like the Whitemud in Edmonton or Deerfoot Trail in Calgary.

They are expanding Kenaston from Polo Park, which will help a lot.

06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The thing is, Bishop and Kenaston have tonnes of room for infrastructure upgrades. It is about time that they made these streets AT LEAST 3 lanes both ways. They might as well just go 4 both ways and make them legit freeways like the Whitemud in Edmonton or Deerfoot Trail in Calgary.

The answer to every traffic problem in Winnipeg is, "add another set of traffic lights". Sterling Lyon Eastbound from Shaftsbury to Kenaston used to have lights at only those intersections. There are two new sets of lights soon to be activated along that stretch (to facilitate entry to Ikea to the south from Sterling Lyon, and entry to the development happening on the north side of Sterling Lyon). In addition, there's now a right-turn light off Sterling Lyon onto southbound Kenaston.

They just build that underpass under the tracks on Kenaston a few years ago - wisely making it two lanes wide each way. Oops! So they had to add another lane each way...it would've been a lot cheaper to do that from the beginning when all the workers and equipment were there the first time...but hey, what do I know. I'm just a shmuck who has to drive by there every day - not a genius City of Winnipeg traffic planner.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The answer to every traffic problem in Winnipeg is, "add another set of traffic lights". Sterling Lyon Eastbound from Shaftsbury to Kenaston used to have lights at only those intersections. There are two new sets of lights soon to be activated along that stretch (to facilitate entry to Ikea to the south from Sterling Lyon, and entry to the development happening on the north side of Sterling Lyon). In addition, there's now a right-turn light off Sterling Lyon onto southbound Kenaston.

They just build that underpass under the tracks on Kenaston a few years ago - wisely making it two lanes wide each way. Oops! So they had to add another lane each way...it would've been a lot cheaper to do that from the beginning when all the workers and equipment were there the first time...but hey, what do I know. I'm just a shmuck who has to drive by there every day - not a genius City of Winnipeg traffic planner.
I really want to join this city traffic/bad planning rant but i fear it's very off topic ...

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:

That is a good point and something I should have mentioned. If they want that route to be a true major city thorougfare, they need to build on and off ramps and channel surface road traffic onto those. It's a major expense but it would solve a tonne of issuses in South Winnipeg.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I really want to join this city traffic/bad planning rant but i fear it's very off topic ...
If a life in Winnipeg has taught me anything, it's that ranting about Winnipeg's woeful city planning issues is always acceptable and always on-topic.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

well put aeriel.

My biggest issue is our obsession with "build out, not up". Our roads are **** because we all keep building new houses in new suburbs creating a volume of road surface that simply isn't sustainable on the tax base of our population.

no one seems to notice that though because "it's the governments fault the city can't afford to fix the roads" but heaven forbid we have to pay enough taxes to actually cover the expense.

sigh, I guess that's what happens when your cities in the middle of a prairie, one of the few places space is NOT at a premium.

Just my opinion on our continuous hatred of our streets and planning. Don't get me wrong, the city planners are idiots for doing this and creating these boneheaded situations, but they're doing it because someones asking for it.

Old
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
well put aeriel.

My biggest issue is our obsession with "build out, not up".
Don't get me wrong, the city planners are idiots for doing this and creating these boneheaded situations, but they're doing it because someones asking for it.
I tend to place the problem on city council. The city planners can't make by-laws, and they don't get the final say in some of the development approvals that have gone on. I don't think we have the most innovative or well-staffed planning department, but it's not all their fault.

Going back at least until amalgamation, this city has had issues with City Council being unwilling to implement (or, if we're being generous, unaware of) bylaws and guiding planning documents that would prevent that sort of irresponsible and unsustainable sprawl. In fact, they've downright encouraged it on any number of occasions.

Their excuse for this is not wanting to slow "development" with actually, you know, regulating it. For years, Winnipeggers bought that excuse. (Understandably so, with the type of economy we have it's easy to be afraid of scaring off investment.)

I now think most people are starting to notice that this excuse wears a little thin, and that Council needs to start stepping it up, take some stronger stances and actually get a plan for this city's growth.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
I tend to place the problem on city council. The city planners can't make by-laws, and they don't get the final say in some of the development approvals that have gone on. I don't think we have the most innovative or well-staffed planning department, but it's not all their fault.

Going back at least until amalgamation, this city has had issues with City Council being unwilling to implement (or, if we're being generous, unaware of) bylaws and guiding planning documents that would prevent that sort of irresponsible and unsustainable sprawl. In fact, they've downright encouraged it on any number of occasions.

Their excuse for this is not wanting to slow "development" with actually, you know, regulating it. For years, Winnipeggers bought that excuse. (Understandably so, with the type of economy we have it's easy to be afraid of scaring off investment.)

I now think most people are starting to notice that this excuse wears a little thin, and that Council needs to start stepping it up, take some stronger stances and actually get a plan for this city's growth.

totally agree, my wording on city planners is wrong, i meant council.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:06 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

I thought there was a ongoing dispute that had to resolved (at the federal level) with First nations groups as to who is entitled to the land around Kenaston at the Kapyong Barracks location before exapnsion to 3 lanes can take place.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Back to the topic ....

I would recommend renting on a month-to-month basis for a brief time to get the feel of the neighbourhoods. Winnipeg's condos are expensive in comparison to houses. If the OP wants a low maintenance apartment, that's one thing. But 2 bedroom houses well within his price range are abundant in St. Boniface, Norwood, St. James, Wolseley, and Fort Rouge. Many of those would be within spitting distance of the village and be maybe $50,000 cheaper than a condo.

Also, no place in Saskatoon is as "urban" as Osborne Village. It is not a place to park and that could drive a Toonian nuts.

So I'd say rent briefly and then buy.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Quote:

The worst is; every Spring on southbound Kenaston by Sterling Lyon when the lines arent painted. I've almost been in numerous accidents due to that.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:32 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Guys, he'll have plenty of time to grow to hate the traffic problems when he gets here, or not, if he stays in many of the areas being recommended. Warning him of the traffic on Kenaston is one thing, but complaining about city planning is getting pretty off topic. I don't think this is very constructive at this point.

Hopefully veeps can come up with some more specific questions. Perhaps we'd even consider making a sticky later with city highlights or neighbourhood summaries for visitors and prospective residents.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Winnipeg should seriously consider a freeway type system, get rid of some damn traffic lights

And fix up the streets near polo park, every time I visit back it seems like it gets worse and worse

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
lol...Winnipeg planning is everyone's "don't get me started!" issue.

Sorry...avoid living at or around the new Ikea.

It's interesting to note that just about every suggestion is to live in a walkable character neighbourhood that was established pre-World War II...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
veeps

Hey sorry for bumping this but I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I was able to find a place and this helped immenseley. I may have to become a closet Jets fan now that I am about to become a Winnipeg resident. Thanks again

veeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeps View Post
Hey sorry for bumping this but I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I was able to find a place and this helped immenseley. I may have to become a closet Jets fan now that I am about to become a Winnipeg resident. Thanks again
What are did you end up in if you dont mind me asking?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:15 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Oh please hurry up and start soon season, so Byfuglien can be the source of all our problems and not city planning ...

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Welcome to it, give us a shout anytime you need advice or assistance settling in!

Also -- why be a closet Jets fan when you can be a FULL THROTTLE JETS FAN?

If not, don't worry, the cult of Jets will suck you in sooner or later... you can't escape it here.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Welcome to town......if you get a Chance take a day trip to Grande Beach this weekend if the weather cooperates.....it is a pretty cool beach.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
veeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Welcome to it, give us a shout anytime you need advice or assistance settling in!

Also -- why be a closet Jets fan when you can be a FULL THROTTLE JETS FAN?

If not, don't worry, the cult of Jets will suck you in sooner or later... you can't escape it here.
I am a diehard Leafs fan but that is just 24/7 punishment haha. I ended up finding a place in the Exchange District that fit my budget the best and is also extremely close to my worplacek. I am really excited to experience Winnipeg and I'm sure I will likely be back with questions. Thank you all again.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I am a diehard Leafs fan but that is just 24/7 punishment haha. I ended up finding a place in the Exchange District that fit my budget the best and is also extremely close to my worplacek. I am really excited to experience Winnipeg and I'm sure I will likely be back with questions. Thank you all again.
awesome news. I'm sure i'll unknowingly cross paths with you in the Kingshead in the future. I love that spot.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Good luck with the move. The Exchange is great. The underground mall and skywalk will be a life saver during the winter, you'll be able to walk anywhere downtown without going outside if you don't want to.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:47 PM
veeps

Does anybody have suggestions for a good gym in Winnipeg? I was thinking of signing up with GoodLife but I thought I post it here as you guys have way more knowledge of the city than I do. Thanks again.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Does anybody have suggestions for a good gym in Winnipeg? I was thinking of signing up with GoodLife but I thought I post it here as you guys have way more knowledge of the city than I do. Thanks again.
In the downtown area, I know there's one my friend really liked in Fort Garry Place:

http://www.assiniboineathleticclub.ca/menu.html

Other than that I got nothin'.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:02 AM
allin4466

Quote:
I have a membership at the Goodlife at 201 Portage. Nice gym, mainly business people in there. That was my biggest annoyance when I went to Shapes. Just a bunch of young kids looking in mirrors.

Also, if you like to go before work it's pretty empty.

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote