HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Babcock on NHL Live

Old
06-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Roy S

vCash: 500
It would depend how Babcock is defining a 3rd line center. He's probably talking about guys who center one of the bottom 2 lines and are also outside the top 6 in TOI per game for their team. Cutting it off that way eliminates guys like Staal, Sutter and Bolland and makes it much more realistic to make that claim. In any statement like that, he's likely going to be comparing Helm to guys who have similar roles and ice time on other teams.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
It would depend how Babcock is defining a 3rd line center. He's probably talking about guys who center one of the bottom 2 lines and are also outside the top 6 in TOI per game for their team. Cutting it off that way eliminates guys like Staal, Sutter and Bolland and makes it much more realistic to make that claim. In any statement like that, he's likely going to be comparing Helm to guys who have similar roles and ice time on other teams.

I think he means centering an 'energy line', which we traditionally also called a shutdown or grind line. New buzzword. Helm is good at wreaking some havoc, creating an off-chance offensive opportunity, eating up some ice time. He's not a pure shutdown forward, but he also has to work on his finish in order to be considered more of an offensive forward.

He likes chasing the puck.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Staal has been a second line center as often as a thrid liner with how much Crosby has been out.

Helm is good on faceoffs, very fast and extremely energetic. He can grind the other team down with doggish puck possession. I agree that his defense, or moreso need to get behind the puck is a detriment.

Why not play Helm on a wing? He could work down in a corner like he enjoy much more, his speed could be utilized to a greater extent on a wing and we could get say Gastaud or his ilk.

I don't know if this has been bandied about but it came to me in passing.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Boomhower

Well Bolland is technically the third line center, Chicago had no second line center of any value last season.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:27 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
Staal has been a second line center as often as a thrid liner with how much Crosby has been out.

Helm is good on faceoffs, very fast and extremely energetic. He can grind the other team down with doggish puck possession. I agree that his defense, or moreso need to get behind the puck is a detriment.

Why not play Helm on a wing? He could work down in a corner like he enjoy much more, his speed could be utilized to a greater extent on a wing and we could get say Gastaud or his ilk.

I don't know if this has been bandied about but it came to me in passing.
Or get Jokinen there cheap. (hoping he wants cup more than money for a second then laughs hysterically)

But he sucks at faceoffs. Gaustad would be nice but I don't think we'll get him. And I don't think Abdelkader is good enough to center third line.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:11 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Or get Jokinen there cheap. (hoping he wants cup more than money for a second then laughs hysterically)

But he sucks at faceoffs. Gaustad would be nice but I don't think we'll get him. And I don't think Abdelkader is good enough to center third line.
He isn't.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Abdelkader shouldn't even be a center anyway; 3rd line, 4th line, or otherwise.

One of the objectives of this offseason should be to sign a bottom 6 guy for that role so we don't have to throw him into that position. I'm not a fan as it is, but when he's on the wing, at least he's somewhat of a quasi-physical presence. Up the middle, he's as much a plug as Emmerton.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:46 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
There's not many better ones out there.
Helm, at this point, is a very good forechecker. But his defensive zone coverage is not good. Helm lines spend too much time playing defense against inferior competition.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:48 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkins tremblay View Post
Babs is pumpin' tires.

Bert-dats-semin
Fil-z-brunner
Nyquist-helm-franzen
Cleary-abs-eaves
Exactly.
If Helm believes it, good for Helm and good for the Wings.

But I don't have to believe it.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
But I don't have to believe it.
Maybe you won't have a choice...

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote