HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season II

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Fair enough... I did get your point, tho. I actually disagree with the whole idea that Doan is a more "natural" leader than Yzerman.

I mean, fear, meaness, and laser eye stares aside, everybody has things to learn while becoming a leader. Doan's behavior in the playoff series (not just the handshake deal) just didn't sit well with me.
Very, very understandable.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Kings have $48.7 million committed to 12 players in 2013-4. If the cap stays at $70 million or even goes down, Lombardi is going to have a tough time putting a roster together with good depth.

I think the best thing is for Lombardi to take a shot at signing Parise for 1 year. Otherwise, bring Penner back for a year.
That 48 mill is in the most important places though. The Kings have 5 of the top 6, a #1dman and a #1 goalie all signed for a long time. Filling out a roster around that on 22 mill is easy

Old
06-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Clifford, Lewis, Nolan, Voynov, and Martinez will all be restricted free agents after this upcoming season. I can't see those 5 having a combined cap hit of more than $7-9 million, and $9 million is on the high side. That puts them up to 17, plus at least of couple of the the group of players like Andreoff, Vey, Toffoli, Kozun, Muzzin, Deslauriers, etc. on their ELCs will be ready to step in by that point.

Dean seems to have planned this out pretty well. Obviously the impending CBA negotiations can change things, but I have a hard time seeing the result being a lowered cap with players' salaries/cap hits staying the same.
Also, except for Voynov, all of those guys are bottom six or bottom pairing guys. Their raises would be like from 500K to 900K or something, like Fraser.

Old
06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Even if the cap goes down. Lets give the owners everything and make it 50%, which I don't think they will get this time around. That would make the cap for next year almost the same as it was for this year at 64.17 vs 64.3. Now if the cap does go down there has to be an adjustment someplace and I doubt the players would give money back again so I suspect that the amount of any signed contract would hit at whatever percent it went down. So when we take in the rate the league is growing moving the share down to 50% is really only taking one year off the table before things go back to where they are now. And since there are no "superstars" coming off the books next year I would say we are in very good shape even with a reduction and taking a run at Parise.
I believe cap is at 57% of revenue. If that is the case then (50/57) x $70.2M = $61.58M.

If the cap goes down, I do not think the owners will ask to slash salaries. I would think that they would give an allowance to teams over the cap and give them a year or two before making it a hard cap for everyone.

06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
I believe cap is at 57% of revenue. If that is the case then (50/57) x $70.2M = $61.58M.

If the cap goes down, I do not think the owners will ask to slash salaries. I would think that they would give an allowance to teams over the cap and give them a year or two before making it a hard cap for everyone.
I see what you did there it would not be a 50/57 reduction that is almost 13% it would be a 7% reduction from 70.2.
Here is real simple math 10% of 70.2 is 7.02 and that is still 3% higher than the worst case.

Last edited by tsanuri: 06-29-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: clarification
Old
06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Clifford, Lewis, Nolan, Voynov, and Martinez will all be restricted free agents after this upcoming season. I can't see those 5 having a combined cap hit of more than $7-9 million, and $9 million is on the high side. That puts them up to 17, plus at least of couple of the the group of players like Andreoff, Vey, Toffoli, Kozun, Muzzin, Deslauriers, etc. on their ELCs will be ready to step in by that point.

Dean seems to have planned this out pretty well. Obviously the impending CBA negotiations can change things, but I have a hard time seeing the result being a lowered cap with players' salaries/cap hits staying the same.
That's all well and good, but the Kings still have to find 6 more guys to fill out the 23 man roster for ~10-11 million. If you make a long term commitment to a guy like Parise, the Kings will end up handcuffed for years to come.

Brownie's contract come up in 2014, as does our shutdown D Mitchell and Greene. I'm sure Lombardi has the big picture in mind.

My point is that you can't go around throwing multi-year contracts at people every year. The Kings are in good position to find good veterans who want to play for a winner for a year or two. That's the ideal situation.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
CandianKingsFan14

What players will the Kings target on July 1?

Pairse?
Suter?
or
just upgrating our 3rd line?

Old
06-29-2012, 05:53 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandianKingsFan14 View Post
What players will the Kings target on July 1?

Pairse?
Suter?
or
just upgrating our 3rd line?
I think they will make offers to both Pairse and Suter but will not get either one. There is too much money out there from some teams and the Kings could pay the same but it would hurt DL's great cap mgmt.
I hope I am wrong and we can land one of them to a reasonable hit.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Parise for one year its an interesting idea. We have $11 million in cap space; we could theoretically give him $9-10 million for one year. I doubt Parise would leave this free agency opportunity without a long-term lucrative contract, but it has happened before. Hossa signed with the Wings for one year to make a run at the cup before signing the Hawks.

Highly unlikely, but worth at least considering.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Zach Parise would be an idiot to sign a one year deal with anyone.

1. The CBA is going to be drastically overhauled. He will never be able to sign for as much as he will this summer. The silly money being thrown around to guys like Jones, Stoll and Wideman must have Parise licking his chops. If the going rate for 3rd liners is 4 million, second liners must be 5-6, what is the rate for a legit star player like ZP?

2. The league is still full of head hunting joke players like Zach Rinaldo and Raffi Torres who could end your career with one hit. It would be irresponsible to himself and his family for ZP to risk that by signing a one year deal.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

1. The CBA is going to be drastically overhauled. He will never be able to sign for as much as he will this summer. The silly money being thrown around to guys like Jones, Stoll and Wideman must have Parise licking his chops. If the going rate for 3rd liners is 4 million, second liners must be 5-6, what is the rate for a legit star player like ZP?

2. The league is still full of head hunting joke players like Zach Rinaldo and Raffi Torres who could end your career with one hit. It would be irresponsible to himself and his family for ZP to risk that by signing a one year deal.
Oh I agree, just saw the idea on here somewhere and thought of Hossa, and how sweet it would work out for us. But you're right, it would make zero sense for Parise financially. Especially considering the CBA situation.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:27 PM
tsanuri

Quote:

The market is and has always been what is someone willing to pay. And we all know that Crosby took a hometown discount to be in Pitt for life. But that does bring the market down some. Price is also a function of supply and demand and most anyone I have talked with or even heard talking about the UFA market it is soft this year.

But the big thing going on right now is that a team like Detroit who has been good for so many years has 24 in cap space and only needs to sign 4 players. So they are able to throw crazy money out there. And any player looking at going to a contender will consider an offer made from them.

Just looking at contracts from where they were last year and how much the cap went up Parise got 6 last year and the cap rose by almost 10% so the starting place is 6.6 unless he takes a discount or signs a big long term deal to lower the cap hit.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:

This makes me laugh as you would have to be an idiot to screw up living on the money he has banked. Remind me of that one South Park episode where they show all the recording artists "hit hard" by song downloading. He could have a career ending injury that year and still live comfortably. He would lose potential wealth, not current. While I cannot say for curtain I'm sure players like Dionne, and Kariya would love a shot at the cup if they still could.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Parise has had one seriously major injury. Even though he is back healthy and playing some great hockey he would be thinking wrongly if he went for a one year deal. Why when there will be plenty of teams that will be willing to sign him long term for serious cash.

I see him in Detroit with Sutter and JB and then bedlam!!!!

Who knows at this point, he will probably end up right back where he started.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Cuba Gooding JR won an oscar doing something similar, don't see why Parise can't!!!

Old
06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
That's all well and good, but the Kings still have to find 6 more guys to fill out the 23 man roster for ~10-11 million. If you make a long term commitment to a guy like Parise, the Kings will end up handcuffed for years to come.

Brownie's contract come up in 2014, as does our shutdown D Mitchell and Greene. I'm sure Lombardi has the big picture in mind.

My point is that you can't go around throwing multi-year contracts at people every year. The Kings are in good position to find good veterans who want to play for a winner for a year or two. That's the ideal situation.
I agree with this for the most part especially if we're handcuffing ourselves with a 20 min a game forward vs. a 30 min a game defenseman like Suter. But did you mean Scuderi? Mitchell already re-signed.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I agree with this for the most part especially if we're handcuffing ourselves with a 20 min a game forward vs. a 30 min a game defenseman like Suter. But did you mean Scuderi? Mitchell already re-signed.
Mitchell's is up in 2014.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Mitchell's is up in 2014.
Okie dokie. I have a feeling by that time Mitchell is looking to retire or play the bottom pair. We should have a replacement from within at that time. It SHOULD be Forbort but we'll see.

Old
06-29-2012, 10:42 PM
KingCanadain1976

Any chance after jb gets traded we try and sign Jonas Gustavsson I honestly think that out of toronto he might bounce back and become a capable back up goalie?

Old
06-29-2012, 11:37 PM
lumbergh

Quote:

Okay maybe not Parise, but how about guys like Doan or Whitney? If Doan won't re-sign with Phoenix due to the ownership situation, maybe the Kings can take him on for a year and he can move back to Phoenix next year. Penner is also a strong possibility for a year or two.

I still maintain a one/two year deal for a free agent makes more sense than trying for one of the top free agents with a long term deal.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Any chance after jb gets traded we try and sign Jonas Gustavsson I honestly think that out of toronto he might bounce back and become a capable back up goalie?
maybe on a 2way and let him fight over the spot in training camp with Jones/Zatkoff (if he re-signs) etc

Old
06-30-2012, 12:52 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

"Sunday will be a big day. We will make an unexpected and earth shattering announcement so be ready". - Tim Leiweke

Probably Quick... but that was expected wasn't it?

Old
06-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
"Sunday will be a big day. We will make an unexpected and earth shattering announcement so be ready". - Tim Leiweke

Probably Quick... but that was expected wasn't it?
Where/when did he state this? I would think it is the Quick signing since it hasn't been made official yet. Can't imagine it being another UFA signing as that would give grounds for a team to file for tampering.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:10 AM
bobafettish*

if a team does file for tampering they could just say they were referring to quick's signing.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:10 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Where/when did he state this? I would think it is the Quick signing since it hasn't been made official yet. Can't imagine it being another UFA signing as that would give grounds for a team to file for tampering.
Taco Bell.

He was at the LA Times today and said that. I assume he was referring to Quick's contract, but who knows. We'll find out in 36 hours.

Closed Thread